Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Happy Belated Birthday

Too mundane and pointless to qualify as even a mini-rant.

For years, people have been missing the date to wish one of their friends “Happy Birthday.” When they did this, it was the custom to send said friend a greeting card of the “Belated Birthday Wishes” class.

Facebook has probably done some damage to the greeting card industry generally, and maybe even more damage to the Belated Birthday Wishes sector in particular. People routinely offer Belated Birthday Wishes to their friends and acquaintances in the items that appear in my newsfeed.

But here’s the thing. The idea is that it is the WISHES that are Belated, but people are increasingly likely to phrase it as “Happy Belated Birthday,” as though the Jolly Good Fellow being greeted had somehow managed to have his (or her, it could be a her, my use of the term “Fellow” notwithstanding) birthday fall a one or more days later in the year than a chronologically-oriented schedule would dictate.

So let’s put a stop to this, and do what we can to encourage people to abandon the phrase “Happy Belated Birthday” in favor of “Belated Happy Birthday.”

Why no, this wasn’t inspired at all by my failure to announce my triumphant elation about my twentieth anniversary as a Doper (two days ago, jftr). Whatever would give you THAT notion?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-30-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
So let’s put a stop to this, and do what we can to encourage people to abandon the phrase “Happy Belated Birthday” in favor of “Belated Happy Birthday.”
I already say 'Belated Happy Birthday'.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I already say 'Belated Happy Birthday'.
Great! Try to make it spread (a little ridicule when you encounter the surrealist version can work wonders).
Old 09-30-2019, 01:02 PM

"Belated Birthday Condolences" is what I tell my aged friends.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 AM

I see it a lot, too. I always say "belated happy whatever" or "sorry I missed your birthday." I wish you the luck of the Irish in getting people to change. /sarcasm
Old 10-02-2019, 01:05 PM

"Happy Belated Birthday" could be appropriate if you are giving a card/gift to someone who has purposely thrown their birthday party several days/weeks/months after the date on their birth certificate. But in general you are quite right, of course.

Happy Belated Anniversary!