Old 10-04-2019, 09:17 AM

How Much Would You Pay to Stay Out of Jail?

The Failing New York Times has a great article today about how some of the parents convicted of trying to bribe their kids into good colleges are paying consultants and others to try to keep them out of jail.

Parents Paid to Open College Doors. Now They’re Spending to Limit Prison Time.

Needless to say these people are self-entitled oligarchs who really ought to be humbled with a little jail time. The judge seems to be onto them too. That is good.

But my goodness, $400,000 to avoid a maximum of six months in jail? In a minimum-security jail? That is crackers.

Pay me $400,000 and I will do the sentence for you.

I know it depends. Bill Gates could pay millions to avoid a week on probation, but how the heck rich would you have to be to pay that much to avoid so little inconvenience?

I swear our Ruling Class is just stupid.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Six months in custody is more than a little inconvenience. They would miss the entire Aspen ski season
Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Think of the stories you could tell in the lodge. "You know, Brenda, when I was in the slammer...."
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The Failing New York Times has a great article today about how some of the parents convicted of trying to bribe their kids into good colleges are paying consultants and others to try to keep them out of jail
Didn't they at one time call those "consultants" lawyers?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Sometimes you're going 'down the river ' anyway. Martha Stewart woulda paid her way out if she could've.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:17 AM

I read one fellow who had to do a few months in a Federal minimal security place saying it was all in your attitude. He said he and his buddies treated like a summer camp adventure.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:22 AM

In this thread are you using "jail" and "prison" synonymously?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
In this thread are you using "jail" and "prison" synonymously?
Apparently.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM

My son works in a prison in Florida. He has told me about doing intake; where people who have been in jail during their trial, have been convicted, and now are entering prison. Some men who thought jail was a joke spend their first night in prison in tears.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:15 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

I'm presuming that all of the college-scam convicts would be going to Club Fed, though, not Big-Boy Prison.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 AM

"The Failing New York Times": Isn't that what the failing president calls it?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My son works in a prison in Florida. He has told me about doing intake; where people who have been in jail during their trial, have been convicted, and now are entering prison. Some men who thought jail was a joke spend their first night in prison in tears.
That's unusual. Most people will tell you that jail is worse than prison on a day-to-day basis. Of course, the downside of prison is that you're going to spend a lot more days there.

So if people are crying on their first night in prison, it's probably not due to a comparison between the conditions in jail vs those in prison. It's more likely to be a belated realization that they aren't going to beat the charges via some legal maneuver.

I think some people go through the whole process of arrest and trial by convincing themselves that this is just a temporary setback. It's bad now but they're going to get through it and return to their normal life. It's not until they hear the cell door close on that first night of their sentence that it hits them that their life has changed.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM

I would pay years worth of salary to stay out of jail.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
$400,000 to avoid six months? In a minimum-security jail?
Pay me $400,000 and I will do the sentence for you.

..to avoid so little inconvenience?
Even after the judge announces the final sentencing, how sure can the guilty man be that he will be sent to an "inconvenient" Club Fed, and not to a real prison?
Because a wimpy white guy like me with no tatoos wouldn't survive in a prison like they show in the movies.

So, yeah, I'd pay everything I have in the bank to stay out, or guarrantee that I get sent to a Club Fed (minimum security) jail.

[related question, maybe deserves a thread of its own:]
Who determines which jail a guilty guy gets sent to?
It surely makes a huge difference in whether the punishment is effective.

For example, remember"pharma bro" Martin Shkreli? (The guy who raised the price of medicine from $15 to $700 per pill). He got caught for stock market fraud, and is happily serving time in a Club Fed--,where he
is making plenty of contacts with other stock brokers, and showing zero remorse, and using a cell phone to fully plan his return to his business shenanigans as soon as he's released
in a couple years)
This guy certainly deserved to serve his time in a real prison, where maybe he'd suffer enough to learn the lesson and not repeat his crimes.

Last edited by chappachula; 10-04-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:58 PM

How much is life worth living?

Now jail maybe a experience that adds to one's existence, in which case for the enlightened soul it is welcome, but what is money to that soul? What is their mission in life? Fear is only a constraint usually on the lower classes from experiencing life.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

It depends on how long a sentence we are talking about, and how certain it was that spending the money would avoid the sentence.

Assuming it's six months, and Club Fed rather than maximum security, I probably wouldn't spend much at all. Prison time would essentially end my career, but I am due to retire in three years or so anyway. I would rather save the money and have it to spend when I got out. Of course, I would probably have to pay a large fine as well, which has to be taken into consideration.

No doubt prison would suck, even minimum security.

I have never been in prison, surprisingly, but I know people who have been and have read accounts. From what I hear -
  • It's not like the movies.
  • Boredom is a bigger problem than violence.
  • Most people in prison just want to get their time done so they can get out (and go back to what they were doing, which may or may not be a good idea but it is a goal)
Obviously Little Nemo and Dr. Qadgop would be a better source of information than I.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM

You do realize how rich some of these folks are & what $400m is to them? They probably spend less time agonizing over spending that then the average person would spend over buying a second hot dog at a ball game. I certainly would spend it if I had that kind of net worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Didn't they at one time call those "consultants" lawyers?
There was at least one (in)famous local ex-politician who wrote a book/started a consulting business on how to survive in the slammer after he got out. So sometimes they're both lawyers & consultants with firsthand knowledge.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:26 PM

Really depends on what kind of prison we're talking about.

If it's years in gen pop "pound-me-in-the-ass" prison, I'd pay every penny I have.

If it's a couple of months in minimum security Club Fed, I'd just do the time.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:33 PM

You really need to talk in terms of days, weeks or months of income. So instead of $400,000 to avoid 6 months of prison it might actually be 6 months of income to avoid 6 months of prison--which assuming we could raise the money would be something most of us here would probably do.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:37 PM

I would pay everything I could afford to to say out of prison. (I can't afford $400,000, so I wouldn't pay that - but if I could afford it I would pay it and more.)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:47 PM

I'd spend a lot to stay out of prison, but not everything I have because I may need a lot of money to survive if I do end up in prison. I definitely don't want to be in prison even for a short stay.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 PM

There's an element of risk / unknowable outcome inherent in the question. When hiring high-priced lawyers and paying for expert testimony in your defense, one does not know if that effort will bear fruit (keep you out of prison) or not. That being said, I'd probably spend a half a million bucks right now on lawyers if I thought it would reduce the chances of a six-month jail sentence from 80% to 20%. My career, time with my family, my reputation, avoiding the risk of violence / disease, all add up to pretty substantial value to me.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Doing time comes with a loss of certain rights after release, and significantly greater difficulty getting employment. Timing would be everything. At 67, doing 6 months would bridge the gap to Medicare, and future jobs are not that much of a concern. At 47, it’d be devastating. At 67, I’d think about doing it for 400k. At 47, not for 4 million. Or 8.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 PM

For this couple, $1 million, but then he is worth $4 billion & her ex is a Fargo, as in Wells-Fargo so I'm sure she's not penniless either.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
Who determines which jail a guilty guy gets sent to?
In New York, the determination is made within the prison system. The judge will just sentence the convicted person to a length of time in prison; they cannot specify what type of prison it will be.

The person is then transferred to a prison (usually Downstate Correctional Facility) for what's called Reception. Their records will be reviewed and they'll be interviewed by security staff, counselors, and medical people to determine what prison would be the best place for them.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I would actually pay to go into jail, just for the experience. But only, if it didn’t involve coming out with a criminal record.