Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Anyone sought a good mp3 to text conversion software, free, for pay?

I'm just starting. I need to convert audio diaries.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM

You could try one of these.

Five Ways to Easily Convert Audio Files to Text
Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

For transcriptions of recorded client meetings, I use Trint.com based on a few minutes of Googling the options out there. I've been pleased by the quality, even in meeting where multiple people are in attendance at varying distances from the mike. It's not perfect when a bunch of people start talking at once, and it doesn't yet to speaker differentiation, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Since you're asking for advice, this will fit better in IMHO. Moving.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
For transcriptions of recorded client meetings, I use Trint.com based on a few minutes of Googling the options out there. I've been pleased by the quality, even in meeting where multiple people are in attendance at varying distances from the mike. It's not perfect when a bunch of people start talking at once, and it doesn't yet to speaker differentiation, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
I just went on there and initiated a free trial. The first file is 1400 mb, maybe 3 hours. Boy is that upload slow! It can't be more than 50 mb a minute. Did you find out any insider tips, maybe about using a cloud or some device to load the material up?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

BTW:If it matters, the files I have are actually Wave. I could change the setting on that I suppose, if waves are a problem.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I just went on there and initiated a free trial. The first file is 1400 mb, maybe 3 hours. Boy is that upload slow! It can't be more than 50 mb a minute. Did you find out any insider tips, maybe about using a cloud or some device to load the material up?
Well, the tools I use to record meetings arenít anywhere near the fidelity your files seem to be. Iíd guess it's worth a transcode/compression pass locally then upload.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 AM

Trint works really well but is expensive. 3 hours will cost you $40. And it does do speaker separation at the "basic" subscription level.

Definitely convert it to a mp3 or ogg or something first before uploading it. You can probably shrink it down to a couple hundred megabytes without losing much quality (if it's just talking). VLC or Audacity can both do that for free.

Last edited by Reply; 10-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
It can't be more than 50 mb a minute.
You're right, it can't. Uncompressed CD audio is only around 10 MB a minute.

Compressed to MP3, voice recordings are fine at 64 kilobits per second/8 kilobytes per second--less than half a meg a minute.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Too late to edit, I see you mean the upload speed, not the audio bitrate. Either way, your 3 hours of talking should be less than 100 MB compressed.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM

I looked for a long time because I wanted my podcasts transcribed and I too landed on Trint. They did good enough work, not great, as it's just a software program doing the work, but it was passable. Wav files are much larger than mp3, as someone else stated, so convert to that and it will upload faster. So basically I'm just agreeing with others.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Too late to edit, I see you mean the upload speed, not the audio bitrate. Either way, your 3 hours of talking should be less than 100 MB compressed.
I'm on audacity right now. Is there a choice of mp3 bitrate on the conversion? Like I could make the file really small? But then would there be legibility issues?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm on audacity right now. Is there a choice of mp3 bitrate on the conversion? Like I could make the file really small? But then would there be legibility issues?
Here are the settings. As I mentioned, 64kbs is pretty good for voice only (no music) recordings, and should be transcribe-able. You might could get by with 32kbs, you would have to experiment to see.