Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
"Bicentennial Man," the story, preceded The Robots of Dawn, in which R. Giskard first appeared, by several years. The movie is fairly closely based on the story. The Three Laws are not questioned at all in the movie, as far as I remember.

Thanks Exapno Mapcase. Thank you all. Very helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidfood View Post
Some of those Special Circumstances AIs in Iain Banks' Culture novels were pretty persuasive - particularly at offers one couldn't refuse.
Culture Minds in general can predict human-level beings well enough to convince them of just about anything if they really want to.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:31 PM

GlaDOS and Wheatly from the Portal series both*try* to be persuasive...
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
"Bicentennial Man," the story, preceded The Robots of Dawn, in which R. Giskard first appeared, by several years. The movie is fairly closely based on the story. The Three Laws are not questioned at all in the movie, as far as I remember.
I never saw the movie, but the 3 Laws definitely come up in the short story. There's a part where Andrew (the robot) who has been "free" for many years, is accosted by 2 teenagers who order him to do some embarrassing things, like remove his clothes, and stand on his head. Even though he hasn't had an order in decades, he's forced to comply by 2nd Law. They're about to instruct him to take himself apart (2nd law trumps 3rd), when George Martin arrives and breaks things up. He tells Andrew that the teenagers are about to attack him (George), so Andrew gets ready to defend George against the teens - who then run off, terrified.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 10-10-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
There's definitely a negative correlation between "Intelligence" and persuasion in the AI robot Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

He knows what bad things are likely to happen and mutters his warnings for all to hear, but nobody listens to him, and bad things continuously happen. He could use better persuasion skills and learn to lighten up a bit...
OTOH, in what's perhaps the greatest robot v. robot battle ever written, Marvin took out a tank by persuading it to shoot the floor it was standing on.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I never saw the movie, but the 3 Laws definitely come up in the short story. There's a part where Andrew (the robot) who has been "free" for many years, is accosted by 2 teenagers who order him to do some embarrassing things, like remove his clothes, and stand on his head. Even though he hasn't had an order in decades, he's forced to comply by 2nd Law. They're about to instruct him to take himself apart (2nd law trumps 3rd), when George Martin arrives and breaks things up. He tells Andrew that the teenagers are about to attack him (George), so Andrew gets ready to defend George against the teens - who then run off, terrified.
I just wanted to mention the AI of Rickís car, in Rick And Morty: itíll use lethal force to achieve its goal; and, if ordered to stop, itíll use nonlethal force; but if itís ordered against that, itíll use the threat of force ó and itíll research subjects, using the like of public-record databases, to stage an elaborate hoax thatís tailor-made to achieve its goal ó and, if itís later ordered to stop using such ďemotional countermeasuresĒ, itíll get itself a dose of Leave-Me-Alone immunity in a Not-A-Bad-Trade side agreement to the peace treaty it uses skilled diplomacy to broker between Party A and Party B: a win-win-win situation is possible, and so is negotiated.

(And thatís all just the secondary plot to one episode!)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM

I always thought Futurama's Bender had some good ideas.