Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 PM

Horrific discovery on deceased abortion doctor's property

Dr. Ulrich Klopfer worked at a clinic that did abortions in South Bend, Indiana until his license was suspended in 2015, and he earlier this month. I have a feeling that this is going to be Dr. Gosnell all over again, and that whatever he did to get his license yanked is too horrible to comprehend.

I thought Roe v. Wade was passed in large part to prevent things like this.

Read at your own risk.

SPOILER:
The remains of over 2,000 fetuses were found among his belongings.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/14/healt...ins/index.html
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Really, "horrific discovery" and "abortion" in the title really gives away the spoilers bit.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
and he earlier this month.[/url]
....and he DIED earlier this month.......
Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 PM

So....were they in jars, or Tupperware, or what?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, well, whaddaya gonna do.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if, among his effects, they’ll find a pending application for a zoning variance allowing him to operate a medical waste incinerator on the property.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 PM

Worst version of Pokémon ever.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Worst version of Pokémon ever.
I don't necessarily need a like button, but I'd love to have a "LOL" button, so as not to interrupt the thread with a post.

But, until then, I simply want to acknowledge that I found your post hilarious.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:42 AM

Horrific? Really?

OK, sure, medical waste should be handled appropriately. But horrific? *yawn*
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I may not have studied RvW as closely as I might, but I don't recall anything from about the proper disposal of the fetus being even a small part of it. There is no claim that he abused or exploited the women, so who cares if he stored away the remains rather than destroying them?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:30 AM

Also, Roe v. Wade wasn't 'passed'.

CMC fnord!
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Don't quite get the outrage here, I must say. At least, not about the presence of fetuses.

Here's a more detailed story than the CNN version posted by the OP.

The remains were medically preserved, and while the doctor had lost his license, none of the stories I've read indicate any evidence that the abortions were performed after he lost it.

If there's anything to be outraged about here, it seems to be ssome of the wayss that he practiced. Here's a story from 2016 on the hearing at which his license was suspended. He certainly seems to have been rather unprofessional in some of his medical practices, although he never lost a patient, and it's worth noting that the investigation into his practice was started at the behest of two right-to-life organizations.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM

The local reaction seems to be "dead babies in his house." That's the screaming outrage part of it, anyway.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...560349391.html

Last edited by bobot; 09-15-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I wonder if, among his effects, they’ll find a pending application for a zoning variance allowing him to operate a medical waste incinerator on the property.
Or perhaps a restaurant.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Medically preserved human remains are horrific? I take it you've never been to a medical museum, a medical school or even a high school biology classroom?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

But I thought all the dead aborted babies were used to make vaccines!!! Or they were sold for PARTS!!!one!!

(Sarcasm, obviously, but I've had religious folks tell me both of the above are a vital part of the "abortion industry." And yes, I know that "baby" is a medically incorrect term for what was found.)

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 09-15-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Medically preserved human remains are horrific? I take it you've never been to a medical museum, a medical school or even a high school biology classroom?
Granted, I don't know the whole story myself, but no, they are not. One of my interests is medical history, and the Mutter Museum is on my bucket list.

http://muttermuseum.org/

Many years ago, I worked with a woman (who has since died herself) who had a miscarriage, and the baby was so perfectly formed that the doctors wanted their permission to put him (the pregnancy was far enough along that they could tell) on display at a medical school. Of course they gave permission.

It's the whole context of the thing.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
But I thought all the dead aborted babies were used to make vaccines!!! Or they were sold for PARTS!!!one!!

(Sarcasm, obviously, but I've had religious folks tell me both of the above are a vital part of the "abortion industry." And yes, I know that "baby" is a medically incorrect term for what was found.)
The Wistar-38 cell line, from which the MMR vaccine is made, came from a fetus that was legally aborted in Sweden in the early 1960s. Here's the TL : DR version.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2...ines-possible/

And here's a link to the book itself. The doctor who performed the abortion, something she rarely did except in extreme circumstances like the one the woman who was identified only as Mrs. X was in, was still living as of the book's writing, as was Mrs. X.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaccine-Race-...8586884&sr=8-1

Medical ethics were different back then, and what was done, was done. Mrs. X did say that she was grateful that the tragedy she experienced led to something positive. Some people believe(d) that the abortion was performed to obtain fetal cells, and nothing could have been further from the truth.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Excellent links!

The true story behind the use of aborted fetal cells in vaccine manufacturing is miles away from the stories of "baby parts" pushed by certain anti-vaxxers and anti-choicers. (It's my understanding, however, that the Catholic Church accepts the use of these vaccines, while still acknowledging their origins.)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

So when they load them on a truck to take them away, can they use a pitchfork?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Granted, I don't know the whole story myself, but no, they are not. One of my interests is medical history, and the Mutter Museum is on my bucket list.

Many years ago, I worked with a woman (who has since died herself) who had a miscarriage, and the baby was so perfectly formed that the doctors wanted their permission to put him (the pregnancy was far enough along that they could tell) on display at a medical school. Of course they gave permission.

It's the whole context of the thing.
So why did you use "horrific" in the thread title? Why didn't you note that the remains were medically preserved? And why suggest what the doctor did to get his license suspended was "too horrible to comprehend"? You seem to have overblown the whole story.

Edited to add that the story from the NBC affiliate station says, "In 2016, Indiana's attorney general alleged Klopfer violated state law nine times by failing to provide qualified personnel to monitor patients undergoing surgical abortion procedures." Bad, yes, and a violation of the law and medical practices but not exactly "too horrible to comprehend."

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 09-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
So when they load them on a truck to take them away, can they use a pitchfork?
Of course not, they’re given the proper dignity of a snow shovel.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 PM
BANNED

So, dude was a hoarder.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

It's nwh. She's obsessed with all things mommy and relationship pages, despite being single and child free/less, depending upon your take.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 AM

One of my friends growing up, his mom had the foetus of his stillborn sibling in a jar on the matlepiece.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
One of my friends growing up, his mom had the foetus of his stillborn sibling in a jar on the matlepiece.
If you shook it did snow swirl around?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Did they set a place for little Timmy every evening for dinner?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
One of my interests is medical history, and the Mutter Museum is on my bucket list.

If you want to see the preserved liver of Cheng and Ang (the original Siamese Twins), the Mutter Museum is your only bet. I've been a few times and I love the place.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
The remains were medically preserved, and while the doctor had lost his license, none of the stories I've read indicate any evidence that the abortions were performed after he lost it.
This recent article from the Post-Tribune suggests that, although no connection to the remains has been made, something hinky was going on:
Quote:
A filmmaker who interviewed the doctor said Monday that Klopfer used to visit at least one of his former clinics for years after its services were shut down by Indiana regulators.

According to Mark Archer, a producer and filmmaker from Fort Wayne, Klopfer would visit his former Fort Wayne clinic every week about five years after the clinic shut down, arriving on Wednesday, spending the night at the clinic and leaving Thursday morning.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mom kept fetuses of stillborn kittens. ISTR one with two heads.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-16-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to Mark Archer, a producer and filmmaker from Fort Wayne, Klopfer would visit his former Fort Wayne clinic every week about five years after the clinic shut down, arriving on Wednesday, spending the night at the clinic and leaving Thursday morning.
Well, he just needed some time away from the kids.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post

Well, there's this bit of news from several years back:

Horrifyingly, Ground Baby Pills Are a Real Thing

Snopes hasn't touched this, but it was widely reported on at the time by mainstream news outlets including ABC, BBC, and CBC.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Well, there's this bit of news from several years back:

Horrifyingly, Ground Baby Pills Are a Real Thing

Snopes hasn't touched this, but it was widely reported on at the time by mainstream news outlets including ABC, BBC, and CBC.
Meh... This is coming from the country where even the government thinks small personal fans left running in a room overnight can cause suffocation and/or hypothermia. I’d take dramatic medical news out of there with a (possible ground-baby-fortified) grain of salt.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Maybe I’m old fashioned but I tend to think that human remains properly used and maintained in an educational setting is different than than having them stacked in your living room. Horrific might be a little hyperbolic but it is bizarre.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Will County investigators will have a press conference at the Sheriff's Office at 1:30 (CDT?) today.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 AM

This morning there was a report on the radio that mentioned the remains were in the garage. Maybe the "hoarder" speculation above wasn't off the mark.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Something interesting from the press conference:
Quote:
The remains were found in 70 cardboard boxes, and they were in small, sealed plastic bags containing a biological formula to preserve them.
The remains will be transferred to the Indiana Attorney General's Office for further investigation.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Or perhaps a restaurant.
This

Baby food. Made from real babies
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Something interesting from the press conference: The remains will be transferred to the Indiana Attorney General's Office for further investigation.
Oh shit. Before I heard the garage thing this morning I was picturing a hidden room that you had to move a bookcase to get to, dimly lit and filled with shelves of medium sized glass jars which were themselves strangely lit with a greenish light.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:57 PM

How are aborted fetuses supposed to be disposed of? Does anyone have a source?
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Dr. Ulrich Klopfer worked at a clinic that did abortions in South Bend, Indiana until his license was suspended in 2015, and he earlier this month. I have a feeling that this is going to be Dr. Gosnell all over again, and that whatever he did to get his license yanked is too horrible to comprehend.

Read at your own risk.

SPOILER:
The remains of over 2,000 fetuses were found among his belongings.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/14/healt...ins/index.html
Bold mine. the thing he did to get his medical licence 'yanked' was to give a abortion to a minor (IIRC age 13) without informing her parents, which has not a lot to do with Roe vs Wade..

Last edited by kanicbird; 09-19-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Some of the posts here have me thinking of Eating Raoul.

Oh, Atamasama, the latest news out of South Korea is about DNA evidence leading to the identification of a serial killer. Now, I might be biased in this, but the cops in the ROK are not the Keystone Kops so many people think they are. (My brother-in-law is a Korean police detective on a serious crimes squad).
Old 09-20-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
This

Baby food. Made from real babies
This is why I never buy Girl Scout Cookies.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
How are aborted fetuses supposed to be disposed of? Does anyone have a source?
I expect the really early abortions are disposed of like any other medical waste (or supposed to be treated as such). There was an attempt to pass a law in Indiana that any abortion be treated like an adult death, requiring burial/cremation would would greatly inflate costs, but the law did not pass. Later-term abortions I don't know - those are typically performed due to medical problems for the mother, or due to severe deformity in the fetus/baby and a different situation, it's possible that the family might want to treat it as the death/burial of a baby.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

One neighbor has described the doctor as having a bit of paranoia (thinking "that people were talking about him") and a garage so full of boxes that "[y]ou couldn’t fit an ant in [there]." "'Hundreds and hundreds' of other boxes, packed floor-to-ceiling," which investigators had to sort through to ensure they found all the remains.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-20-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Additional fetal remains discovered in trunk of car belonging to late Indiana abortion doctor - are any more out there?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM

The old craze used to be Beanie Babies.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 PM

That very much does sound like a certain type of hoarder then. Perhaps he never throws anything out, including the fetuses he aborted.