Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Washer and dryer in non-climate-controlled shed, subject to heat and cold

I may be moving to a new home soon, and it has a laundry room with washer and dryer - but those are located in an outdoors external shed, not climate controlled. With the weather here, it can get as hot as 107 F in summer or below 30 F in winter. Wonder if that has any effect on the operation of the machines? Do they overheat or get too cold, especially if operated?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Is the shed heated? If not, I am curious how the water lines keep from freezing in the winter.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Depending on temperature ranges you could end up with condensation inside the machines that would eventually lead to them rusting out and failing.

I wouldn't put top notch Korean (LG and Samsung, etc) models you bought new out there. But some used machines you got cheap off Craigslist? Might as well.

Overheating failures are unlikely. Also many laundry rooms are unconditioned. Like mentioned above, frozen supply lines are a major problem.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Is the shed heated? If not, I am curious how the water lines keep from freezing in the winter.
Unheated. I'm guessing that since Texas winters often hover just above freezing (35-45 F,) that it didn't freeze. But the times that it does go below 32 worries me. Also, I am concerned about machine components getting damaged by heat or cold in and of themselves, freezing aside.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:23 PM

My MIL had her laundryroom in an outside area. A room off the carport. No heat or air cond. She once had a machine that was 22 years old. The only reason she got a new one was there were no parts available for an easy fix. I think it's common to have a laundryroom out like that. Of course YMMV.
Can you ask the previous owners?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM

My washer and dryer are located in my garage, which is not heated or cooled. In the over 10 years I've had them I've not had any problems related to the temperature (I did have to replace the circuit board in the dryer, but I can't attribute that to them being in the garage).

IME, it's not that uncommon for the laundry area in a home to be in a place that's not climate controlled, particularly in older homes. In the house I grew up in, and all the other houses in that subdivision, the washer and dryer were in a non-climate controlled utility room at the back of the carport. In my last apartment they were in a closet off the patio. So I would think that would be something appliance manufacturers would take into account.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:40 PM

You really don't want water freezing in the washer. Drain lines and pump components will crack and fail if residual water freezes in them.
Other than that, I don't see any issues.

Last edited by beowulff; 10-11-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I may be moving to a new home soon, and it has a laundry room with washer and dryer - but those are located in an outdoors external shed, not climate controlled. With the weather here, it can get as hot as 107 F in summer or below 30 F in winter. Wonder if that has any effect on the operation of the machines? Do they overheat or get too cold, especially if operated?
Those are very common conditions for washers in Spain (dryers not so much simply because they're not very popular). They work just fine and don't last noticeably less than those placed in "inner rooms" (i.e., heated or HVAC'd). So long as it doesn't get so cold that the water freezes in the pipes, you'll be ok. Both of my brothers have their washrooms unheated: the one who's got a washer and dryer had to change them after only 8 years but we're talking about a family that uses those two machines at industrial levels.

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.