Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM

My job (attorney for injured people) includes a great deal of sadness. No one comes to me because something good happened to them. Instead it's terrible things like the death of a child, or serious injuries, assault, rape or perhaps employment discrimination.

So I wouldn't call it a "happy job," but I really enjoy it. I get to help seek compensation for people who have suffered a terrible loss. The work is interesting. Every case is different. I learn about fluid dynamics in one case (jetski injury) and the danger of sub-micron particles of coal dust in another. The job entails elements of social work, theater, science, persuasive oral and written arguments, and medicine. I work with smart, dedicated people, and we're well compensated.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I'm retired now, but I worked for several decades as a government accountant, and liked most of it. I never had a bad boss or toxic co-workers, and even upper management of our department was pretty good. The latter half of my career was doing a job that I had pretty much defined, and enjoyed doing.

I actually delayed several years after I could have retired on full pension because I was involved in the replacement of our financial system (and finally had the chance to set up the accounting elements properly), and was also working on team doing a major review of government-wide accounting standards, and wanted to see both to completion.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Willys View Post
Bolding mine.

This is something that you can control. It is not easy, OK for some it is easy, but it was/is not for me. I get up every morning and consciously choose to be happy that morning.

Letting the BS that comes along get to me is not allowed. For me this has been work! However, the more I practice this choice the easier it becomes.

Then at noon, I again choose to be happy. Again it is work, yet the work is worth the lack of stress.

Again in the evening, I choose to be happy. This is easier, as I choose what I spend my time doing.

I choose to not be stressed out by anything that I can not control. If my bosses are making impossible demands & they are unapproachable, I find a new-to-me job. OTOH, If there is a chance that the situation will change soon, I may stick it out for, at most, 6 months.

This is where my choice to take four years off from school after graduating from High School comes in handy. I learned then how to find jobs & I can now find a job almost anywhere. This is also the time that I determined that life is too short to work at a job I hate.

As I grow older, I see from the perspective of being the more experienced man I am. I can now see what I should spend my time, effort & emotions on.

Rght now I only have one job, as I just got laid off from my seasonal job. I do not need the seasonal job, but the extra money is nice & I love the work that I do. It is a service to my community.

I also umpire softball & baseball. Again I love this job. It is also seasonal. My last game for this season is today. I do not count umpiring as a job, I enjoy it too much for it to be a job.

OTOH, I love my "real" job as well. I get paid to work on antique machinery! What others do as a hobby I get paid for! Yes, it does not pay as well as the high stress jobs, but my happiness is not for sale.

My "retirement job", I hope, will be working on antique airplanes.
Thanks, 48Willys, I appreciate it, I really do. Mostly it's getting frustrated at stupid shit. I've got to learn how to let that go.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 PM

I'm a software developer.

There are occasional times when I am stressed due to a looming deadline or not being able to figure something out. But most of the time I get to build useful things and solve interesting technical problems. I love it!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
Thanks, 48Willys, I appreciate it, I really do. Mostly it's getting frustrated at stupid shit. I've got to learn how to let that go.
I am glad it helped you. IHTH as well:

For me, the key to the stupid shit, (crap), is to recognize it for what it is & to not get emotionally attached to it. For me this is/was a hard lesson to learn. What helps me is to look six month to a year into the future & see how this crap will affect my life. If it does not affect my life in any way, or very little, I let it go. At least I try to let it go.

Another thing is to figure out if this is your problem or is it someone else's problem. For example, one of my relatives is a shopaholic, she buys crap she does not need with money she does not have. She then contacts her friends & relatives to "loan" her some money for the rent. I tried to help her with her spending issue & I bailed her out a few times. However, since she does not even try to curb her spending, I no longer give her money, nor do I give the related issues even one thought. It is her problem, not mine. I have learned to not get into the "rescue mode", emotionally, with this crap. This is/was one of the toughest lessons for me.

Another example is that several of my sisters just live to complain about stuff. It took me awhile, but after I figured out that they complain because it makes them feel better about themselves, I quit getting upset with them about whatever it was that they were complaining about that moment. Heck their complaining is part of the reason I moved 1200 miles away from them. It helped that I was offered a job doing what I love with people I enjoy.

Note that none of these lessons learned were easy for me, & the solutions to these issues are ongoing, meaning I work on them almost every day. It does get easier the more I practice these choices, but some days it is still hard.

Again IHTH, 48Willys.

PS. I have learned to let folks have the last word on the stupid shit. It seems to help.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM

I have a tolerable job. Sort of. I like the idea of what I do, but the people make it frustrating as balls. I create opioid addiction prevention programs for the elderly. I spend more time warning clinicians and doctors of sudden withdrawal symptoms than I do the patients I serve, which pisses me off to no end.

*steps on soapbox* You can't just suddenly take someone's pain meds away without a) doing it slowly and b) giving them an alternative way to manage pain. That's not how substance dependence works. And you can't take away treatment for opioid dependency because someone relapses - you don't take away someone's insulin if they eat cake, or tell someone they can't have their lipitor because they had a cheeseburger. Medication assisted therapy should be viewed the same way, but since there's such a moral stigma attached to addiction, people punish people when they need help the most. *gets off soapbox*

Okay, maybe it's not THAT happy a job.