Old 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Facebook push notifications for specific friends (new and annoying)

I hate to ask a Facebook question here, but since they offer no direct support, I hope someone might have an answer.

Lately I've been getting direct notifications about specific friend's posts that I am not subscribed to. See example pic. These are different than notifications for posts I'm a part of, and have a weird blue word bubble. They alert me to literally every action of some people: "So and So replied to a post." "So and so posted a new status update." "So and so posted a new picture."

Again, it's random people I have no specific notification settings adjusted for priority. At first it was every action performed by only one friend, now I'm getting alerts for a second friend. Digging online, I saw you can check mark "get notifications" about a friend in your Friends Settings (see pic 2), but I do not have them checked. I do not have ANYONE checked.

The only option given to the notification itself is to "stop all notifications about this person." Yesterday, the "first (and then only) friend" I was getting such alerts from was particularly active and dinging me with alerts every few minutes. I finally had to unfollow them, which I don't want to have to do, just to keep from blowing me up. Now that I blocked them, I'm getting the same alerts for a second, random friend.

Anyone have a clue what this is about? Or how to stop it? It just started happening a few weeks ago. No one else I have asked have ever gotten such alerts.

The only option I know is to disable all push notifications, which at that point, the app is trending towards useless.

Pic links:

https://ibb.co/BsVmH7k
https://ibb.co/bWQV66t

Last edited by dontbesojumpy; 10-11-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I have a setting on mine that may turn it off. Go to Settings>Notifications, scroll down to "Updates from friends" and try changing it to Off.

I know I was getting something like that a few years back, but I either figured out how to turn it off or it eventually stopped on it's own.

Oddly, I have that setting set to On right now, but I'm not getting those notifications.

Also, I'm doing this on a PC so finding that setting on your device may be different and keep in mind that facebook does a lot of A/B testing so a setting on my account might not exist or might not do anything on yours.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I have a setting on mine that may turn it off. Go to Settings>Notifications, scroll down to "Updates from friends" and try changing it to Off.

I know I was getting something like that a few years back, but I either figured out how to turn it off or it eventually stopped on it's own.

Oddly, I have that setting set to On right now, but I'm not getting those notifications.

Also, I'm doing this on a PC so finding that setting on your device may be different and keep in mind that facebook does a lot of A/B testing so a setting on my account might not exist or might not do anything on yours.
I saw that as an option when I was digging around, but it is not a setting I have recently adjusted, and was unsure what consequences would occur if I turned everything off. Since this is a new development (receiving personal notifications about mundane actions), I presumed it was some new feature facebook was rolling out.

It also made sense to me that perhaps said friends were checked for "receive notifications" but since that's already turned off, I guess I will try your suggestion and see if it helps. Hopefully I won't miss any normal features.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
I saw that as an option when I was digging around, but it is not a setting I have recently adjusted
Facebook has a habit of changing your settings, or at least doing away with an old setting and bringing in a new one that does basically the same thing and defaulting it to the 'wrong' setting.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM

I use Facebook sporadically. On vacation, I'll use it like mad, then I'll go a month without using it at all. I've noticed that the less I use it, the more random "Ed just posted a picture" notifications I get.