Old 10-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Favorite Kitchen-Sink Movies?

I don't know if this term is only used in the UK, but every one I've seen has been good. I love "Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner" and many more. Bryan Forbes is a fine director from the handful of movies I've seen of his. I love Ken Loach and Mike Leigh the best when it comes to British directors, but I love neo-realism, social-realism, kitchen-sink, etc.

What are your favorites?
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM

To me "kitchen sink" would imply something with everything possible thrown into it. So, not sure the meaning in this context.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
To me "kitchen sink" would imply something with everything possible thrown into it. So, not sure the meaning in this context.
Kitchen Sink Realism.

Basically, dramatic works that tackle difficult social and class issues.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

One from 1972 that has always stuck with me is A Day in the Death of Joe Egg which coincidentally is being revived, yet again, on stage in London's West End.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:49 PM

I love all of them but have no particular favorite. Maybe 'Alfie' with Michael Caine....There was a charming 1966 movie - 'The Family Way' - starring Hayley Mills as a newlywed living with her young husband, with her family, in an 'EastEnders' type location. I don't think it's available on DVD, but I saw it in the theater decades ago. . Real 'slice of life', but not 'angry young man' stuff.

Last edited by salinqmind; 10-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Alan Plater did some similar things I love to watch. The Beiderbecke Affair is one and has three sequels. David Ware does political thrillers but with a "voice of the people" vibe.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
There was a charming 1966 movie - 'The Family Way' - starring Hayley Mills as a newlywed living with her young husband, with her family, in an 'EastEnders' type location. I don't think it's available on DVD, but I saw it in the theater decades ago. . Real 'slice of life', but not 'angry young man' stuff.
I've seen The Family Way on TV, it must be available somewhere.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I think that last year's Roma might qualify.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Seems to me What's Eating Gilbert Grape is an American version of the genre.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Kitchen Sink Realism.

Basically, dramatic works that tackle difficult social and class issues.
I always think of it as a story largely consisting of people having uncomfortable conversations while doing mundane things like washing dishes.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Reading people's explanation a Kitchen Sink movie of and the recent passing of Diannne Carroll brought to mind Claudine. Would it fit the bill?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:37 AM

So basically, hyper realistic movies about slobby ignorant guys in tank tops and their long suffering friends and relatives?

I'd say Once Were Warriors from New Zealand is the best one - extremely well made and legitimately distressing at times.

Blue Collar is another great 1978 drama about auto workers, with Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor in 100% serious roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Reading people's explanation a Kitchen Sink movie of and the recent passing of Diannne Carroll brought to mind Claudine. Would it fit the bill?
That's a great example!

I also recall Baby Boy (with Snoop Dog of all people) as being a well made and gritty character study about a young adult living with his mother.

Last edited by LC Strawhouse; 10-12-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I’m looking forward to the new South Korean film Parasite.. I’ve never seen a Bong Joon Ho movie before, but the reviews have been fascinating.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Favorite one I’ve actually seen: Fassbinder’s Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974).
Old 10-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I can't think of a film that would fit but bill, but this video by Squeeze is literally set in front of a kitchen sink as a reference, and the lyrics would not be bad as the basis for a full length film.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I think that last year's Roma might qualify.
I would agree with you, but I'm too busy watching the reflection of an airplane in a puddle of water. Or possibly dog pee. Hard to tell.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I would agree with you, but I'm too busy watching the reflection of an airplane in a puddle of water. Or possibly dog pee. Hard to tell.
LOL.. I tried watching "Roma" but 15 minutes was enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Favorite one Iíve actually seen: Fassbinderís Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974).
Good movie.. I liked the movie it was based on, too, "All That Heaven Allows" - more about class than race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Strawhouse View Post
So basically, hyper realistic movies about slobby ignorant guys in tank tops and their long suffering friends and relatives?

I'd say Once Were Warriors from New Zealand is the best one - extremely well made and legitimately distressing at times.

Blue Collar is another great 1978 drama about auto workers, with Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor in 100% serious roles.
Both are very good movies. I don't think I ever saw a more real and horrific family in a movie than "Once Were Warriors"
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I can't think of a film that would fit but bill, but this video by Squeeze is literally set in front of a kitchen sink as a reference, and the lyrics would not be bad as the basis for a full length film.
The song is actually named after a film (of a play and a novel) Up the Junction, which is a perfect example of this genre, starring the very young Dennis Waterman and Maureen Lipman. Like many of these films it deals with the issue of abortion in the time before it was legalised in Britain.

Last edited by The Stafford Cripps; 10-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:34 PM

I saw David Tennant playing Jimmy Porter in Look Back in Anger on stage in Edinburgh , about 5 minutes before he became A-list. Blake from Blake's 7 played the dad.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:38 PM

I enjoyed the film of This Sporting Life, which more or less fits the bill here, but I stopped reading the book as it felt quite misogynist.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Albert Finney in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) was pretty good.

One of my all time favourite flicks, though - good ole Goin' Down the Road - I'm not sure if that quite qualifies here.

Sanford and Son?

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 10-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.