Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Tonka is slowing down

Tonka (the black one) is slowing down. He was 8 (or 9) when we adopted him from the shelter, and he's 14 (or 15) now. He used to jump up on my bed, or 'mom's' bed, or the arm of the couch. Now he claws his way up. I can't remember the last time I saw him use the cat tree. He's no longer allowed to roam the neighbourhood (not related to his age), but he and Goo will chase each other around. He still has some life in him. It's just... He's getting old.

We're taking both cats to the vet tomorrow; Tonka for booster shots, and Goo for her initial examination.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
He used to jump up on my bed, or 'mom's' bed, or the arm of the couch. Now he claws his way up. I can't remember the last time I saw him use the cat tree.
Our cat Oliver, who passed on two years ago, stopped jumping when he was around 10. He would scale the side of the bed to get up there, and stopped using the cat ree, just like Tonka. We had a horizontal cat scratcher, like this, which he would still use.

We mentioned all of this to the vet one time, who had some x-rays taken and concluded that Oliver's backbone had fused together to the point that he couldn't comfortably bend his back enough to jump, or scratch a vertical scratching post.

I might be worth bringing this up with the vet, though there's nothing that can be done about it. But at least you'd know.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We've noticed Taz isn't as active as he used to be. Our best estimate is that he's 13 or 14, and the jumping up part is most obvious. He used to perch on the top of doors - now it's a struggle sometimes to get up to his food dish (which has to be kept out of pug reach.) He's also taken to occasionally puking on the carpet - dunno what that's about because it seems to be random. But he is looking thinner.

He'll still rassle with the pug and he'll tolerate the toddler grabbing his tail up to a point, but given the choice, he'd rather plaster himself on my lap or right next to me to bask in my body heat.

I've had to take 2 cats to be put down in recent years, and I really don't need to deal with it again. I hope he'll just go to sleep one day and that will be that. Yeah, I'm a wuss about making the decision...
Old 10-11-2019, 10:53 AM

I'd ask the vet. If he's got arthritis, you should be able to make him more comfortable. I also suggest you have his blood work drawn to check for kidney issues or other problems.

I'm glad he and Goo are getting along!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM

I hadn't realized Tonka was that old. That's a good long life, for him. I was concerned about his lack of freedom when you were building the catio. Now I see the wisdom in that decision. He'll live longer this way. If he can't jump he can't flee from predators.
As an elder statesman he deserves more treats and skritches.
My Siamese cats say, "Enjoy your dotage, Tonka, get that Goo educated in proper cat behaviour!"
Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 AM

I'm sure he's fine. You don't do all the stuff you did as a teenager either, I'll bet.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 AM

There actually are little pet "staircases" you can buy to put next to the bed or the couch.

Puking cats are normal. Unfortunately. You can buy OTC hairball remedy, or you can get expensive stuff from the vet.

Everybody says, "Oh, my cat LOVES that stuff! He licks it right off my finger!"

Yeah, well. My idiot cat walks away if I put a glob on my finger and stick it in his face. If I put a blob of it on his nose, he shakes his head hard so the glob falls on the floor, and walks away. I have to get Mr VOW to hold the cat, while I stick said finger with a glob on it down his throat.

The cat scowls at me for the rest of the day.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 10-11-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
There actually are little pet "staircases" you can buy to put next to the bed or the couch.
I put the little 'perch' (cylinder with a hole in it) next to the bed. It makes it much easier for him to get up.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Doxie, despite having been run over and paralyzed by IVDD (and recovered) just seems to get feistier every day. Took him and the crew out yesterday, and he tried to jump into the Jeep! Gave it the old College try, at least. Amazing animal.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
When the Evil Black Monster Cat was in the last years of her life (about 13+) we made one of these out of an old foam mattress and stuck it by the Taller Girl's bed. It was in use every day till the night when she climbed up, as usual, went to sleep on the bed, as usual, and then just quietly didn't do the "wake up the next morning" thing
Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I forgot Goo's medical records, so I left the cats and Mrs. L.A. at the vet's office to go get them. They were about done by the time I got back. Tonka weighs 12 pounds, so he's down one pound from last year and down two pounds from when we adopted him in 2013. The vet was not concerned. He got his shots, and was pronounced healthy. But he is about/almost 15 years old, so it's no surprise he's slowing down.

Goo had 'something' on her neck. Mrs. L.A. originally thought it might be a misplaced microchip, since it was small and hard; only, it kept getting bigger. The vet determined it was a 'oil cyst' and simply squeezed and picked it off. It was ovoid, grey/black, and about the size of a soy bean. The vet said it would probably grow back eventually, but is not a concern. Goo is a healthy 10 pounds. (She doesn't look that heavy, but she's solid.)

We had a coupon for a free veterinary examination, given to us by The Noah Center when we adopted Goo. It was expired, but the vet took it anyway. It saved me $40. The total bill for the shots and two examinations was under $30 after the discount.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 AM

If a cat (or human) were really losing a lot of weight and nothing seemed obviously wrong upon physical examination, then a blood test might be appropriate to screen for some stuff and check whether the body's organs are functioning correctly.

In your case (good news!) he was healthy and none of that was necessary, just keep taking him for regular checkups and listen to the vet's advice.