Old 10-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Ronan Farrow on Weinstein, Lauer and Hillary

His new book Catch and Kill will soon be out. Some aspects of it are discussed in this Hollywood Reporter article.

Among the details are an allegation that when Farrow was at NBC and working on the Harvey Weinstein story, Weinstein found out and pressured NBC to kill the story by threatening to reveal details of Matt Lauer's sexual abuse of NBC employees. "Weinstein made it known to the network that he was aware of Lauer's behavior and capable of revealing it" the book says. (NBC denies this happened.)

And there's this in the article, about how Weinstein called on Hillary to help him:
Quote:
Weinstein also attempted to leverage his long-term relationship with Hillary Clinton to pressure Farrow, he writes. In summer 2017, while Farrow was trying to lock down an interview with Clinton for his foreign policy book — while also still working on the Weinstein story — he received a call from Clinton's publicist, Nick Merrill, who told him that the "big story" Farrow was working on was a "concern for us."
Old 10-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Bump.

This NPR review of Farrow's book adds some interesting details.

The book presents evidence that NBC knew about Matt Lauer's sexual harassment proclivities well before they took any action - probably because this sort of thing was by no means limited to Lauer.

To cope, NBC's SOP was to arrange a significant payment coupled to a non-disclosure agreement - Farrow says there were more than a few of these. (You wonder to what extent the women who agreed to these understood that in accepting money for silence, one consequence was that other women would become victims.)

Harvey Weinstein appreciated the success he enjoyed getting NBC to suppress reporting his problems. They weren't the only news organization with dirt on him, but as he noted: "If I can get a network to kill a story, how hard can a newspaper be?"
Old 10-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

The New Yorker has printed three segments from Catch and Kill. No information on Matt Lauer, but plenty about Black Cube.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 PM

nm

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 10-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:56 PM

I wonder if Catch and Kill will have an appendix reprinting Lauer's open letter about all of this. I've read it, and it seems convincing on its face for various reasons, but then, talented writers/persuasive people can do that. I will wait for the book before jumping to any conclusions.

Quote:
Today, nearly two years after I was fired by NBC, old stories are being recycled, titillating
details are being added, and a dangerous and defamatory new allegation is being made.
All are
being spread as part of a promotional effort to sell a book. It’s outrageous. So, after not
speaking out to protect my children, it is now with their full support I say “enough.”
For two years, the women with whom I had extramarital relationships
have abandoned shared responsibility, and instead, shielded themselves from blame behind false
allegations. They have avoided having to look a boyfriend, husband, or a child in the eye and
say, “I cheated.” They have done enormous damage in the process. And I will no longer
provide them the shelter of my silence.