Old 10-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Morrowind computer glitch

When I run Morrowind on my computer sometimes the game crashes and I get the message "Display driver not responding". It seems to be getting worse. I've looked around online and they only fixes I've been able to find involve a level of computer expertise that I don't feel I have.
So, if you don't mind, could somebody list a simple step by step process on how to fix it?
I have Windows 10 and a NVIDIA Geforce 770 if that makes a difference..

Last edited by furryman; 10-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Have you seen if your GPU driver is up to date?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Latest GeForce driver is here:
https://www.geforce.com/drivers
Old 10-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? It was probably designed to work on Windows 98 or XP, somewhere around there.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Compatibility mode is a very good idea.

Also, don’t run it in full screen.

Apparently running the game in full screen mode doesn’t work in Windows 10. That right there might be a reason for the graphics driver crashing.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your replies. I'll try these. How do I keep the game from running on full screen?

Last edited by furryman; 10-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Here’s how to run a program in compatibility mode:
https://www.lifewire.com/run-older-p...y-mode-4587064
And here’s how to change Morrowind’s settings to windowed mode:
https://help.bethesda.net/app/answer...ndowed-mode%3F
Old 10-13-2019, 03:15 PM

If the game runs for a while and *then* some hours later crashes with a driver error, I'd wager it's not actually a driver problem but an overheating one (especially if it grows worse with time).

Try dusting off your graphics card and ideally also replace the thermal paste for good measure. If you don't know how to do that and don't trust yourself to learn (it's really not a big complex thing, but I understand the thought of rooting around inside a computer can seem like a brick wall of danger to some) any local tech shop will do it for you. If your computer is a laptop, then just go directly to the shop, those are really not root-around friendly and just opening them up might void your warranty.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
If the game runs for a while and *then* some hours later crashes with a driver error, I'd wager it's not actually a driver problem but an overheating one (especially if it grows worse with time).

Try dusting off your graphics card and ideally also replace the thermal paste for good measure. If you don't know how to do that and don't trust yourself to learn (it's really not a big complex thing, but I understand the thought of rooting around inside a computer can seem like a brick wall of danger to some) any local tech shop will do it for you. If your computer is a laptop, then just go directly to the shop, those are really not root-around friendly and just opening them up might void your warranty.
It seems really random. Sometimes it won't do it at all, then the other day it did it twice. I rarely ever play for more than an hour straight, but it seems like it's getting worse.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
It seems really random. Sometimes it won't do it at all, then the other day it did it twice. I rarely ever play for more than an hour straight, but it seems like it's getting worse.
Sounds like overheating to me. Those issues do often appear like they’re random, but they aren’t. They’re tied to how hot components (like your video card) are getting. Depending on what your computer is doing it might heat up quickly and fail, or you could go for a long game session without a glitch.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Yeah, "random" or non-replicable issues (i.e. problems that cannot be stated as "whenever I X, it does Y") are very often due to overheating. Another possible cause would be failing RAM - but the first steps I'd take would really be "thoroughly dust off the case's air intakes and outflows, scrub the fans & radiators". If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the thermal paste next - also make sure you haven't got a dead fan somewhere.
If the problem still persists, then start looking into possible hardware or software problems.