Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 PM

I'm such a chicken. I never do anything that fun. My DIL has been lightening my roots to maintain the blond me. It's hard on the hair though. I'm about done with that crap.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Hell, if I ever do go white or at least black and pepper I'm planning on getting a rainbow dye job. Not one of the "Pride Parade" rainbow jobs, just have a few different bits dyed the kind of colors human hair doesn't naturally grow, with most of it left as-is, and with those dyes that wash away. Right now any dye jobs other than henna, dark brown or black would need decoloring and hell to the no. Decoloring is really damaging to the hair: speaking as someone who's professionally qualified to wear a white lab coat*, it involves removing the metals which give hair its colors, breaking part of the bonds which are part of each protein strand and some of those that form between strands. Kind of like throwing minimicroscopic razors at your hair. Not a good thing.

* Degrees in ChemE and Chem.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You forgot to tell what you did that was so radical. Come on, spill it!
Ah yes...age 14, 9th grade junior high school
<cue watery fade to flashback>
Once I graduated 6th grade, elementary school and short pants, I was the perfect image of style and elegance (as much as a hormonal teenage boy can be). All of 7th and 8th grade and about the first 1/4 of 9th grade it was dress shoes and pants, button down shirts and sweater vests or a jacket and ties (full winsdor knot, none of that crappy sloppy looking knot that is uneven that the newsmen all seem to like and makes you look like some sort of bumpkin slob), hair always clean and neatly trimmed and well groomed. I have no idea now, at this great remove in time, why I chose to dress that way, but I did. Every afternoon I went home and changed into jeans and tshirt plus whatever other clothes were appropriate for the weather/season and planned activities, planned being a roughly approximate term only. Then one fine fall Tuesday morn, I said screw it! I wore my rattiest torn most faded jeans, an old blue leather motorcycle jacket I "inherited " from my dad (he used to race off road motorcycles) and I happen to have had a short length of spent ammunition belt for a Squad Automatic Weapon to link closed and make a "just the right size" Fucking Kick Ass Wristband of Awesomeness to wear.

Aaand thats pretty much the style, both sartorial and mental/emotional/personal that I've been rocking since.

Oh I still like dressing up, when the occasion warrants it. And when it does, I go all out and not bragging when I say DAYYYYUMMM I look good (still and for my age and alla that) but yeah, that was my radical overnight change

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I had a bit of wild child at fifty, shortly after I cut it all off and went punk. I had the top dyed red. Picture it: short, spiky mostly white hair...with fire engine RED on top.

Getting reactions from co-workers was an experience to treasure forever! I'd just smile and say, "I had fun."

It was great.

And the next haircut, it was gone.

~VOW
VOW is my Hero of November
Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
~VOW, dearest board sister help me emancipate from my hair slavery. I'm truly sick of this crap. Should I go short by degrees? Or chop it off one fell swoop?
Just go for it, Beck. Get something fun and asymmetric like this. That way the "grow out" will just look like a purposeful ombre.

To "work" the family, get some brightly colored washable hair wax like this. Put it in the first day they see the new hair. When they find out that the neon green washes out they'll be so relieved they'll leave you alone about the rest.

Quote:
I stopped messing with my hair when I turned 50. No more coloring, no more perms. My natural hair is stick straight. I had the last perm cut off to where my hair was about 1-1/2 inches long.
. . .
I am "hair emancipated."
. . .
This is me. I wore my hair elbow length for the first 30-odd years (except for a brief respite around age seven provided by St. Dorothy of Hamill). I had been convinced at an early age that it was the only way to look female and/or attractive to men.

When I finally cut it off it was a revelation. Between the extra time washing, conditioning, drying, and curling the ends, I had an extra hour every morning. That adds up to an extra two weeks every year. Hair emancipation is right!! I'll never let it grow long again. I'd love to just buy myself a Flowbee.

Quote:
. . .
The rest of my body is dry-dry-dry, but my scalp and hair are still as oily as ever. I wash what little bit of hair I have left with Dawn dish detergent.
. . .
Preach Sistah!! I use Ajax, because I can get it in 2.5 gallon bottles for only $5. Read the ingredients, people, shampoo is a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
. . .
For those of you who decided to get a perm at some point in your life, and I mean this with all the heartfelt sincerity someone with naturally curly hair can muster,
WTEVERLOVINGF IS WRONG WITH YOU?
. . .
LOL! The Celtling struggles with her curly hair. I tell her all the time "I have spent fortunes trying to get curls like yours."
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
My mom dyed her hair black (her natural color) from the ages of 18 to 65, to cover up the gray. All those years...sometimes she did it at home, sometimes at the stylist when she could afford it.

One day she was just like - fuck this! I'm over it!

There was a little protest from the family because we had NEVER seen mom without black hair. No one had. She has always looked very young and now she was suddenly going to be showing her age. Were we ALL going to get old now?!
. . .
Since it took a long time to do, all of us had time to deal with the emotions associated with mom going gray
. . .
Jeez-o-flip. I want your life. Seriously. I want a life so smooth and easy that my Mother's hair color qualifies as a trauma to be eased into gradually. Ferchrissakes, do you hear yourself?!?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Jeez-o-flip. I want your life. Seriously. I want a life so smooth and easy that my Mother's hair color qualifies as a trauma to be eased into gradually. Ferchrissakes, do you hear yourself?!?
Eh, hair is a very emotional thing. When my sister came home with a single pink stripe over her ear, the way my Mom reacted you would have thought the sun was rising in the west and sis was going drop straight into the fires of hell at any second bypassing death completely. It was quite the row between the two of them. Hell im nearly 50 and she still gives me crap cause I've gotten so tired of dealing with curly hair that would make a poodle jealous, that I just shave it off completely every few weeks.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

When I dyed my daughter's hair black, my mother had a hysterical meltdown. Seriously crying and angry at us.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Where did she say her mother going grey was “a trauma”?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:10 AM

I did a home semi permanent color for a while to even things out while the old color grew out. The semi perm would fade, I'd do it again. Cheap and easy. Mine is still more pepper than salt. And yes, cut it down to something that will grow out over less than a year if your face can take short hair and its currently long.

And yes on the purple shampoo, My husband is far more grey than I am and purple shampoo has taken him from dingy grey to distinguished.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 AM

One of the reasons I stopped ALL home coloring of my hair is that there was this ONE time...

I called it "That's Not the Color that was on the Box."

People actually complimented me on the color. I said, "You're the only one who likes it."

Most of my life has been fight-fight-fight with my hair. In junior high school, I even SLEPT with curlers in my hair, for God's sake! My decision at fifty to go with short, spiky, leave-it-grey is the happiest I've ever been in my entire life!

~VOW
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM

I went berserko when the lil'wrekker came home after 2 weeks at college with pink hair. She has the prettiest blond hair with a teeny strawberry cast too it. People drooled over her hair when she was small. All her highschool friends loved it. She kept it very long until her Junior year (god the seems so long ago) she had some inches cut off and shorter in the front. Again people loved it.
And then she had the unmitigated gall to dye it pink and come home like it was nothing!! The brat!
Seriously, I got used to it and her experiments and found out most are temporary. But man thst first pink dye job sent me in to orbit.
Yes, hair is an emotion. It just is.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I went berserko when the lil'wrekker came home after 2 weeks at college with pink hair. She has the prettiest blond hair with a teeny strawberry cast too it. People drooled over her hair when she was small. All her highschool friends loved it. She kept it very long until her Junior year (god the seems so long ago) she had some inches cut off and shorter in the front. Again people loved it.
And then she had the unmitigated gall to dye it pink and come home like it was nothing!! The brat!
Seriously, I got used to it and her experiments and found out most are temporary. But man thst first pink dye job sent me in to orbit.
Yes, hair is an emotion. It just is.

Fix her wagon! (And everbody else!)

Go fire-engine red!

Your wrekkerette surprised you with pink lemonade hair! Mr Wrekker leaves you to deal with feral hogs, birthing dawgs, the workings of the well, snakes and lurking sweetgum bombs.

Cut it off spiky-short, dye the top fire-engine red, and laugh hysterically.

A lot.

DIL and the grandwrek would love the Hell outta that!

~VOW
Old 10-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Hey! More info on the tea tree stuff. My hair needs this info. Kinda fast.
If you have a Trader Joe's available the stuff is like four bucks a bottle but if not you can get it from Amazon. It's basically just plant extracts without all that sodium laurel/laureth sulfate crap that strips all the oil out of your hair and gives you cancer and shit. Smells nice too.

It's getting too cold to essay the experiment but next summer I'm thinking of having a medium undercut done then dying the short bits in ombre blue shading to purple. I figure it'll keep my head cool to have some of that mop underneath taken off and growing it back will be simple enough. If I don't like the dye job I can cut it off after about maybe a couple months and no harm done. The hair in back from my ears down is the hair that isn't silver so this will probably make things even more striking. I'm old, I can fuck with my hair if I want.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Has anyone tried either temporary dyes (to cover gray until it's all grown in, then wash it out) or just dyed their hair gray to get the transition over with?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM

I ordered the Teatree shampoo and conditioner.
And...~VOW..
I almost...ALMOST hit send to call the beauty shop. I'm working up to it.
I'm trying not to panic.
This will take at least 3 days.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Has anyone tried either temporary dyes (to cover gray until it's all grown in, then wash it out) or just dyed their hair gray to get the transition over with?
Sure, I went through that crap. My grey hair was Kryptonite. I had to leave even the temporary stuff on for hours. As for permanent color on the grey, read upthread at "That's Not the Color on the Box."

The bleaching of the dark hair is something my mother did. She married at 22, was dyeing her hair when I was born and she was 28. My sister arrived 6 years after me, and Momma was bleaching her hair. I remember times when the bleach job turned out purple or blue. I want NO part of that nonsense.

My dark hair is at the back of my head. I can't see it, so why should I care?

FYI, you don't "dye" hair grey, or blonde, or white. You must bleach all color from the hair shaft, and then you dye it to the shade you want. Or the shade you think you want.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 10-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I use a temporary dye (Natural Instincts)for exactly that reason. Sometimes I'll let it get completely washed away just to see how things are progressing.In fact, I'm in that phase right now. Sparkly silver stands in my medium brown hair I'll get around to dying it again but like the OP, I just wish it would hurry up and do what it's going to do. Or at least come in in nice wide sections and not single strands. That makes plucking them hard to resist.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
If you have a Trader Joe's available the stuff is like four bucks a bottle but if not you can get it from Amazon. It's basically just plant extracts without all that sodium laurel/laureth sulfate crap that strips all the oil out of your hair and gives you cancer and shit. Smells nice too.

It's getting too cold to essay the experiment but next summer I'm thinking of having a medium undercut done then dying the short bits in ombre blue shading to purple. I figure it'll keep my head cool to have some of that mop underneath taken off and growing it back will be simple enough. If I don't like the dye job I can cut it off after about maybe a couple months and no harm done. The hair in back from my ears down is the hair that isn't silver so this will probably make things even more striking. I'm old, I can fuck with my hair if I want.

When my daughter was in high school, she had her hair cut in a relatively short bob. It was heading towards Summer, and it was getting hot. She is cursed with the thick-thick-thick hair, and she got the BRILLIANT idea to shave her scalp from her ears to her neckline. It looked like a "normal" haircut, but it was physically and esthetically cool!

~VOW
Old 10-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Fix her wagon! (And everbody else!)

Go fire-engine red!

Your wrekkerette surprised you with pink lemonade hair! Mr Wrekker leaves you to deal with feral hogs, birthing dawgs, the workings of the well, snakes and lurking sweetgum bombs.

Cut it off spiky-short, dye the top fire-engine red, and laugh hysterically.

A lot.

DIL and the grandwrek would love the Hell outta that!

~VOW
I second this motion and offer Beck all the long distance hand holding and support she wants
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This will take at least 3 days.
I go by the two-week rule for making big hair changes...with the result that my hair has gotten pretty long because I can't ever make any decisions.
On the other hand, it's just hair. It always grows back. Go crazy!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For those of you who decided to get a perm at some point in your life, and I mean this with all the heartfelt sincerity someone with naturally curly hair can muster,
The problem is that society tells women they're wrong. They're too tall or too short, they're too fat or too "boyish", their lips are too thin or too thick.... and whatever hair you have you have to change it. Like, yesterday, sister.

So girls with curly hair try to iron it straight, and girls with straight hair are told to get a perm.

Seriously.

I have hair so straight it could be used to calibrate plumb lines. And all my life I've been subjected to random people tell me how much better it would be if it had just a little curl, or I tried this or that perm, or that wave... and you know what? It doesn't work. In my uncertain teen years I took the mop out to get a perm. Sure, curls... and 40 minutes later it was hanging straight again. The stylist in question was ethical enough to tell me that unless I was wiling to chemically fry my hair getting curls was pretty hopeless.

So I learned to love the hair I have, instead of longing for the hair I don't.

Best. Hair. Decision. Ever.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I do - and yeah, natural instincts. But my hair has always taken dye fairly well, and I just pick up a medium brown thats going to blend with my ordinary brown and cover my greys for a few weeks. But no more - I had my long hair chopped off so there is no old permanent color and the greys are free to fade in.

I colored mine, not because I was vain but because I didn't want my teenagers to think I was too old to understand. They are adults now.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
This has been a most interesting thread.
Basic answer is that I like my hair curly, even though it is naturally straight.

My hair is fine, thin and straight. It actually has a little curl to it where it's really short (the short hairs around my face that never seem to get longer), or when it's received just the right amount of humidity (gentle mist).

But 99% of the time it lays flat against my head. It either looks limp, greasy, or both.

I think it looks better curly, after I figured out how to handle it with a perm. This is also why I've spent time and money on various hair curling appliances.

Mind you, I stopped getting perms ~20 years ago, because I didn't like the smell or the time, and my hair is getting increasingly fragile with age. I also found that if I go to sleep with my hair just washed, it has more body than if I wash it early enough that it's dry before I go to bed. This is what I look like if I have some body in my hair.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Schwartzkopf makes a "permanent" gray dye under the color "Metallic Silver" but you should first bleach colored hair to use it. I've got a box that I found I didn't need; PM me if you want it.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM

I truly understand (to the degree I'm able) the emotion that is attached to hair. But I've always had "good hair." It's really thick and naturally curly and red. Now that I'm older, the white just looks like strawberry blonde.

I dyed my hair back to auburn a few times, and it looked fine. And now I just cut it when it's in my eyes. Do whatever is comfortable.

The best thing I've found about my age is my willingness to just do whatever makes me feel good.

(Paradoxically, I think that my IDGAF attitude is becoming to me. I'm not trying to impress anyone now, but I get hit on more at fifty and married and slightly overweight and DGAF than I did at 30 and single and size six.)
Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacunae Matata View Post
I truly understand (to the degree I'm able) the emotion that is attached to hair. But I've always had "good hair."[snip*]
But I've always had "bleh hair." Bothersome hair, with cowlicks and going grey in odd stages, with some patches darker.

That's why it's been hard getting to a place where I can say "Hey, nobody really cares. I'm leaving the house without even looking at my hair."

It's almost scary, the amount of emotion that's attached to hair. I'd love to read an article... might be a throwback to the animal kingdom and manes and mating displays.