Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I recognize that. It's from Heinlein's Time For the Stars, correct?
You are correct, sir!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why do some people obsess over other peoples' clothing choices?
Why are you on a message board whose motto is 'fighting ignorance since 1973'?

Look around, most people don't wear hats. And yet, some people wear them all the time. Inquiring about that isn't obsessing, it's called being inquisitive.

I'm an old, bald dude and I have to be careful to wear a hat on sunny days (in fact, I prefer an obnoxious cowboy hat to ensure excellent sun protection), but I don't wear them at my desk, at the dinner table or at everyday functions. It's odd to wear a hat all the time and I, too, am curious why some people (although, this does seem to be primarily a male thing) wear hats all the time, even when sunburn is impossible.

I don't think the OP is wondering about you folks who wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun. I think we can all see that wearing a hat under those conditions makes sense, it's the folks who wear them constantly, regardless of the weather or if they're indoors or out.

Thanks to those who have replied with their own experiences. It seems thus far to be a number of reasons:

-I like to wear them
-I feel like I look better/younger with one on
-I don't have to worry about how my hair looks
Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
OK thanks, but I am wondering about people who insistently wear hats even when 1) they have no hair loss and 2) it's not particularly hot or sunny. Do they just feel psychologically vulnerable if their head is uncovered?
Sometimes, that is a factor. One factor in why I keep my hair completely covered is that I like having that additional barrier separating me from people.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
There you go assumpting things; when I said hat I meant hat.

https://www.nouilles.info/illustrati...aits/68402.jpg

Actually that one of its two black cousins are my main ones. I will go with a ball-cap now and then but ----- that face was made for something that sticks a fer piece past my ears.

(Plus another advantage is that when I do wear it indoors people assume I'm some sort of religious nut and avoid me. I like being avoided in public.)
You look good in that photo.

The suspenders with that hat is why folks leave you alone. You look like a Mennonite or some kin to them. Most folks do not want to be "bothered" by "religious" folks.

IME, Mennonites are skilled craftsmen & craftswomen who can not force themselves to do shoddy work. I enjoy their company.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Plus, mine are lined with tin foil to keep out the mind control rays.
It is unusual for me to actually laugh out loud, but this post did it.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Summer: Tilley-like sun hat
Fall and Spring: transition to wool watch cap
Winter: balaclava with liner

I lead an outdoor life, there are few days that some kind of hat isn't useful. I do not wear a hat indoors except in my own house in winter. We don't heat it to American temperatures.

I think men who wear ball caps look slovenly, unless they are actually farming at the time.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:12 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Ok, but if it's a cap is it not still a hat?
I am not a head-covering-name-Nazi but --------------- no. I am told the argument goes back as far as colonial days with the differentiation between workmen's caps
http://www.cobbcreek.com/clothing/mens/workman_cap.jpg
which were legal in certain situations and not others; along with the various hide caps (like the cookskin cap on the top of Old Dan). Anything short of full brim and it is a cap and NOT a hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Willys View Post
You look good in that photo.

The suspenders with that hat is why folks leave you alone. You look like a Mennonite or some kin to them. Most folks do not want to be "bothered" by "religious" folks.

IME, Mennonites are skilled craftsmen & craftswomen who can not force themselves to do shoddy work. I enjoy their company.
I like most of the various folks I've known among the OOD and off-shoots.

It's funny but even when my entire dress is full-blown English the hats still work. There is something about a "plain hat"/kepfa that, even with children, says "that ain't Santa". Especially since the Fat Guy himself is almost always depicted in a cap of one kind or another. Don't know; never really studied the psychology of it all ----- but it works for me. But if I switch to a ball-cap ----- all bets are off.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Besides, hats are cool.
Keep telling that to yourself... no matter what everyone else says.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I am not a head-covering-name-Nazi but --------------- no. I am told the argument goes back as far as colonial days with the differentiation between workmen's caps
http://www.cobbcreek.com/clothing/mens/workman_cap.jpg
which were legal in certain situations and not others; along with the various hide caps (like the cookskin cap on the top of Old Dan). Anything short of full brim and it is a cap and NOT a hat.
Interesting, but unconvincing. Caps are still hats to me. I can go along with the definition that hats without a full brim are caps, but caps should still be a form of hat.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
You are correct, sir!
Umm, it's madam, not sir.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:07 PM

I saw an elderly man at a fast food place that could've been a poster child for "wear a hat when you're out in the sun, goddamnit".

His mostly bare scalp was covered with what looked like actinic (solar) damage to varying degrees, and an area about the diameter of and half the length of an NFL football was outlined in blue ink, demarcating a zone where he'd evidently had recent surgery and which contained several sutured incisions.

That guy alone probably allows the dermatology clinic and/or plastic surgery practice to cover their monthly expenses.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 PM

I know people who just think they look better in a hat, and a lot of them aren't wrong.

I've never been much into them, as I have a big head and find it hard to get a hat that is both the right size and looks good, rather than making me look like I have a tiny top of my head and a bigger face/chin.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
If it's an adult male, my assumption (unless demonstrated otherwise) is that he's losing his hair (or has lost it already), and doesn't want people to see this.

It's not uncommon at all for guys who are suffering from hair loss to be insecure about this, and to try to cover it up, either with a hat, a toupee (less common these days), or even a clearly-unnatural-looking combover (not naming any names here for political reasons ).
Thatís been my experience as well. I remember during my first year in law school there were several other first year guys that you would never see without a baseball cap. During the fall semester of our second year, which was on campus job interview season and everyone was walking around in business attire, it was obvious that they were experiencing premature baldness.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
Thatís been my experience as well. I remember during my first year in law school there were several other first year guys that you would never see without a baseball cap. During the fall semester of our second year, which was on campus job interview season and everyone was walking around in business attire, it was obvious that they were experiencing premature baldness.
But then you have people like my Great Uncle; almost never seen without a baseball cap, and his hair's just visibly thinning now at 82.

I think he just... likes them. I don't think there's anything more to it.

Mind you, he does wear Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals most of the time as well, in England, so I wouldn't judge the majority by his dress sense.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Honestly, I think most people feel comfortable in what they are accustomed to wearing. Cut your long hair short? It takes days to get used to how different it feels. Take off the hat you routinely wear? You feel weird. For that matter, the same is true about wearing a hat if you aren't accustomed to it.

One of my children developed a liking for wearing a hat. As a toddler, he wore a hat every day for at least a year. He had plenty of hair, was outgoing,... I don't think it was anything more than he liked it. We had a small collection of hats for a while.

Now he wears a mane. Long hair and beard.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I know people who just think they look better in a hat, and a lot of them aren't wrong.

I've never been much into them, as I have a big head and find it hard to get a hat that is both the right size and looks good, rather than making me look like I have a tiny top of my head and a bigger face/chin.
Big Hat Store.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 AM

I don't think it's been mentioned yet - visibility. I often wear a bright red 49ers cap while on family outings because it makes it really easy for my wife and son to spot me in a crowd.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
But then you have people like my Great Uncle; almost never seen without a baseball cap, and his hair's just visibly thinning now at 82.

Mind you, he does wear Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals most of the time as well, in England, so I wouldn't judge the majority by his dress sense.
Bolding mine. Yep. Now I'm not a hat guy, but often wish I had one for rain or sun. I will not go anywhere without sunglasses. The sun and snow of Colorado makes them necessary. So, I may find myself in Pittsburgh on a cloudy day, and yep, I have my sunglasses on. No, I'm not trying to be 'cool', it's just what I do. I won't leave home without them.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I saw an elderly man at a fast food place that could've been a poster child for "wear a hat when you're out in the sun, goddamnit".

His mostly bare scalp was covered with what looked like actinic (solar) damage to varying degrees, and an area about the diameter of and half the length of an NFL football (...).
Yeah, thatís part of it. Iíve got brown spots on my hands, forehead, and face; some of them worry my doctor. My daughter gave me a nice high-SPF hat, and I wear it on sunny days.

Also I wear glasses ground from high refractive glass óso the lenses wonít be thick as a pancakeó and wearing a hat at my desk cuts down on random reflections that lower the contrast of whatís on my computer screen. The hat serves as a lens hood for my glasses.

I grew a beard last year, got a lot of compliments, and the beard seems to work very well with a hat.

So, I donít always wear a hat, but several times a week ó and I often wear hats while sitting at my work desk. The biggest reason for wearing them indoors is to shield my glasses from reflections from the overhead light fixtures.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
I grew a beard last year, got a lot of compliments, and the beard seems to work very well with a hat.
Doesn't the brim block your view?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
And any grown-assed man who wears a ball cap backwards (and is not a catcher) gets both eyebrows.
So, what's left to raise for this dude?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
When I'm walking around town wearing a hat like this, it is not unusual at all for people (almost always guys of a certain age) to honk their horns at me and shout through their windows, "That's a nice looking hat!" But I never get compliments on the street when I'm without it. My hypothesis is that my hat creates the illusion that I'm more feminine than I am since it hides my short hair. It also creates the illusion that I'm more stylish than I am.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
But any male over the age of 18 who wears a ball cap out in public - unless his business is playing baseball - automatically gets a WTF and a raised eyebrow from me.

And any grown-assed man who wears a ball cap backwards (and is not a catcher) gets both eyebrows.
Thereís a common saying on SDMB: You canít reason someone out of a position they did not reason themself into. I donít believe that at all. Everyone has opinions that they accept through inertia and early indoctrination. And then when someone explains basic facts about those situations the unexamined beliefs get discarded.

Ball caps have a shape thatís highly efficient. They keep the sun out of your eyes and off your face, and they only have a brim where the brim is needed. That makes them half the size of a full brim hat, and much easier to store and often less expensive. And the brim is longer than almost every full brim hat, for even better efficiency.

Compared to most hats ball caps have a wind resistant brim. You can buy specialized boating hats that will not expose your eyes with every passing breeze, but ... cost, availability, size, etc. You can buy a lacquered cowboy hat that stands up to the wind, but ... same thing.

Please reexamine your bias against ball caps.

óóó-
Iíve worn a backward cap many times, but itís always accidental. Iíll head to a photo shoot wearing a ball cap (see above paragraphs for reasons), and then remember I canít use an on-camera flash unit while Iím wearing a hat. Unless I turn the ball capís brim to the back.

So raise your eye brows at my ball cap, forward or backward ó my only thought will be, ď...rookies, sigh.Ē
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There you go assumpting things; when I said hat I meant hat.

https://www.nouilles.info/illustrati...aits/68402.jpg
Ever since you first posted that photo a few years back Iíve wanted an Amish straw hat. I wear hats to avoid sunburn, and figure the Amish have a similar skin tone to mine and know what theyíre doing by now.

Last July we did a weekend trip to Lancaster county and I went on the prowl. All the hats in general stores and farmers markets were tourist-looking and expensive, so I started asking the locals. An old Amish woman finally gave me a pitying look and said ďUh, why donít you go to the HATMAKER?Ē

So I follow a long country road to the end to a big house, peer in the side door, and thereís hundreds of Amish straw hats on dozens of racks. A lady lets me in; I choose one with the broadest brim and highest crown. Nineteen bucks!

Now, I donít look much different than you...rimless glasses, bushy beard, more red than gray in my case...but I donít look anything as awesome as you do in the hat. In fact, I think I look like the Cat in the Hat. I think I overdid the brim/crown thing to the point of parody.

In any case, I donít have the balls to wear it on city streets. But it looks nice on the top of the roll top desk.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
In any case, I donít have the balls to wear it on city streets.
Heh, kopec could tell some stories about what he (and I as well) have worn on the streets of Pittsburgh!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Not wear a hat? How am I supposed to signal to other drivers that a clueless a-hole is behind the wheel? Now if you'll excuse me I've got three more exits to drive past while I leave my left turn signal on.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I never notice hats outdoors or in public spaces. But if you wear one inside a house or a restaurant, I think you're a rube.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:27 PM

For whatever reason, my gym seems to have an abundance of very short men, many of whom are just barely over 5 ft. tall, who attend regularly.

A large percentage of these men wear baseball caps indoors, at night, in warm weather, while working out. I suppose one reason for this may be that the ball cap makes them appear slightly taller.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh, kopec could tell some stories about what he (and I as well) have worn on the streets of Pittsburgh!
Tell, tell! The Amish hat is the stupidest one Iíve ever bought.

I DID have a top hat I bought during my college years, but I used it on two Halloweenís and was a Mad Hatter during a costumed croquet game.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 AM

As a 100% blad man, I find hats extremely useful whenever outside. Even in a moderate UV environment, (like a partly cloudy day) I have been sunburned on my scalp. Also, from my memories of having hair, it kept the sun and rain out of my face (to the extent approaching having a hat on).

Other than that, I suspect some just like the aesthetic.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyFro View Post
As a 100% blad man,
Quote:
Because I'm blad, I'm blad come on
You know I'm blad, I'm blad come on, you know
You know I'm blad, I'm blad come on, you know
And the whole world has to
Answer right now
Just to tell you once again
Who's blad.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

The Kennedy men looked horrible in hats and rarely wore them. JFK Jr. once said when he went out on the streets of New York City wearing a baseball cap backwards, nobody recognized him.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Blad, blad Leroy Brown,
Bladdest ...

Oh. Never mind.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
If it's an adult male, my assumption (unless demonstrated otherwise) is that he's losing his hair (or has lost it already), and doesn't want people to see this.

It's not uncommon at all for guys who are suffering from hair loss to be insecure about this, and to try to cover it up, either with a hat, a toupee (less common these days), or even a clearly-unnatural-looking combover (not naming any names here for political reasons ).
I come from a long line of bald men, so I knew it was going to happen, and when it did, I got over it quickly. I've been bald as a cue ball for upwards of 30 years; never tried to cover it with a comb-over, never for a minute considered plugs or hair-growth pills, or least of all a toupee.

BUT, I virtually never step outdoors without a hat on. It's not about people seeing my bald head. I don't care about that one whit. But it just doesn't feel right, all that bare skin exposed to the sun and elements. Going hatless to me would be akin to going shirtless - I just don't do it.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Umm, it's madam, not sir.
Sorry, in this light I couldn't tell.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I could have started this thread. In fact, I have considered doing so.

I hate hats, and I can't for the life of me relate to the mindset of grabbing a hat as I head out the door or get dressed for the day.

OK, sometimes a nice fedora can make a certain dude (not me) look snappy. But any male over the age of 18 who wears a ball cap out in public - unless his business is playing baseball - automatically gets a WTF and a raised eyebrow from me.

So, Men Without Hats is your favorite group, then?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:03 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ever since you first posted that photo a few years back Iíve wanted an Amish straw hat. I wear hats to avoid sunburn, and figure the Amish have a similar skin tone to mine and know what theyíre doing by now.

Last July we did a weekend trip to Lancaster county and I went on the prowl. All the hats in general stores and farmers markets were tourist-looking and expensive, so I started asking the locals. An old Amish woman finally gave me a pitying look and said ďUh, why donít you go to the HATMAKER?Ē

So I follow a long country road to the end to a big house, peer in the side door, and thereís hundreds of Amish straw hats on dozens of racks. A lady lets me in; I choose one with the broadest brim and highest crown. Nineteen bucks!

Now, I donít look much different than you...rimless glasses, bushy beard, more red than gray in my case...but I donít look anything as awesome as you do in the hat. In fact, I think I look like the Cat in the Hat. I think I overdid the brim/crown thing to the point of parody.

In any case, I donít have the balls to wear it on city streets. But it looks nice on the top of the roll top desk.
WEAR IR ON THE STREETS!!!!!! Mine was made by a friend in Goshen. Different communities have slightly different styles but all are on a theme. Mine gets stuffed in saddlebags, rides year round in the car, beaten on amusement park rides, and will still stay glued on me head at 35mph. Its warm in the winter to a degree and really cool in the summer. After maybe more than 20 years of abuse it is finally starting to crack in a couple places along the brim but I have plans to replace it this winter.

My blacks are a mixed pair; one is commercial and one made by a plain hatter. Those I don't abuse as much and will probably both outlast me.

PS -- I'm sitting at a roll-top I inherited from my Dad. Great minds like similar things.

Quote:
What happens at Santarchy (and Zombiefest) stays at Santarchy. But let me give you two ideas ------- Amish Santa and Zamish.

OK

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...07&oe=5E61915D

And I'll have you know the dirty school-girl zombie was along with my wife's permission.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post

Sounds like me. Hawaiian shirts and a covered head at all times.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I think men who wear ball caps look slovenly, unless they are actually farming at the time.
I'd take issue if I wasn't slovenly as a general rule anyway.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

kopek @87:. I can’t even wear it in a car, because the brim is so wide and stiff.

The Amish hatmaker woman in Lancaster county said the straw hats were so cheap because the men replaced them every year. The black wool hats cost around $80 because they were a several year investment,