Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Walking Dead came back last night. Did you notice?

It was actually a very solid episode, something I do not say very often. Still, I feel like I'm looking at someone whose mind is gone. They are still alive, but just a shell of the person I used to know and care about.

I must be lazily watching. I don't know who everyone even is.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 PM

I did NOT notice, as a matter of fact. I think I'm now 2 seasons behind. Maybe 3. I'm not against the idea of catching up. But I'm also not terribly excited to do so.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I got bored with TWD just before the Negan stuff started coming down in earnest. I won't be back. Sad, really--the pilot episode was the best thing I'd ever seen on TV at the time.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM

Wow! I missed it. My friend who watched every ep of the previous years with me didn't even remind me.
Like Burpo says the pilot/first season was the bomb. I even bought it on CD.
Kinda sad. End of an era.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-07-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I got bored with TWD just before the Negan stuff started coming down in earnest. I won't be back. Sad, really--the pilot episode was the best thing I'd ever seen on TV at the time.
Yeah, that's about when I checked out too. Though I did slog through a season or so of negan. It wasn't bad per se...I was just tired of it.

And yeah first season was awesome. Though the 2nd season on the farm was boring. But it got great again after that. So I was hoping it would again...
Old 10-07-2019, 10:08 PM

I watched it. It seemed... Different. Like it was directed by Micheal Bay.

Plus, would a satellite fall to earth largely intact?

Last edited by Ashtura; 10-07-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

I never came back after the winter break last season.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Plus, would a satellite fall to earth largely intact?
I haven't seen TWD in forever so I don't know the scene you're talking about--but no. Under some circumstances, largish chunks of a satellite may survive reentry, but there is zero chance a satellite could land in anything resembling "intact" form. Designing objects to survive reentry is an extreme challenge, and satellites aren't designed for it (though they may have sub-parts designed for it).
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 AM

I think in the future, The Walking Dead will be held up as an example of a TV series which didn't so much jump the shark, but shambled across it while going "Hmmmnnnnnuuuuhhh".
Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 AM

I've been enjoying Fear the Walking Dead. It feels a lot like Z Nation, though, with the way the group goes helping random stragglers before meeting up again later. I did try to watch the A show last night, but the site I use was jamming.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 AM

I've decided to save up and binge each half season like I do with Fear the Walking Dead. If it somehow gets good again I'll resume watching it weekly to contribute to its ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
I've been enjoying Fear the Walking Dead. It feels a lot like Z Nation, though, with the way the group goes helping random stragglers before meeting up again later. I did try to watch the A show last night, but the site I use was jamming.
I loved the villain this season on Fear the Walking Dead. Her motivations, and the conflict between her and our group, was inspired. My feeling was that it was the very first intelligently written "villain" in 15 seasons of the Walking Dead universe.

Until the final episode, when the "resolution" to the conflict ended up being so ridiculously stupid that I thought to myself "Oh that's right, I'm watching a Walking Dead show." In the final 10 to 15 minutes of the season finale I found myself saying, out loud, "This is so stupid!" maybe a dozen times. I just couldn't believe what a nosedive that ending was. Not in terms of being a bummer for our heroes, but in terms of it just being flat-out stupid.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:59 AM

I did NOT notice and that says a lot. That show was my jam for a while. Even made a special trip to Orlando to catch Halloween Horror Nights when they were doing TWD theme shows.

The season after Neagan bashed the Asian dudes head in was full of disappointment and never went back again. I wanted fuckin epic revenge and got garbage.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 AM

I was all set to watch it on-demand last night, but I noticed "Road House" was on, so I watched that instead.

Probably catch TWD tonight.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:08 AM

I saw the promos it was returning and made sure my DVR was set to record. I've not watched the show on the night it airs in a long time. It has moved to "watch on DVR later" as it is just no longer must watch t.v. That said, I just watched the episode off of DVR and it was quite good.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:30 AM

I've been waiting for it since it's the only show I watch as it airs. I enjoyed it and I'm digging the Negan redemption arc. I also liked some of the small touches, like the ALS book in Daryl's back pocket that lets you know how important Connie is to him.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
<snip> It feels a lot like Z Nation, though...<snip>
I loved Z Nation: it had serious problems with geography, with travel time [I think they walked from Seattle to St. Louis in 2 days once] and just about everything else in-universe, but the cast seemed to enjoy themselves and no one cared about coherent story. And blonde Lt. Warren was a hoot.

You gotta love The Asylum!

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 10-08-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:42 AM

I DVRd the episode Sunday night, and then watched the episode yesterday. It wasn't bad at all, but the show just doesn't get me as excited as it once did.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 AM

I agree - I watched it Sunday night and it was pretty good. It does seem that the writing style and quality ebb and flow a lot from season to season and even sometimes between episodes. The overall arc still interests me so I continue to watch.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Oh, I'm still in. As long as Daryl and Carol are still on. (for a moment there, Sunday, I had a horrified feeling they were going to go from friendship to romance, but mercifully, did not. One of the things I like most about this show is they are JUST. FRIENDS. If they change that, then it is gross and i'll be Done.) I thought Rosita and the two 'daddies' were a hoot. I will miss Michonne like crazy, I love her so much, but the minute I read she was in that Black Panther movie, I knew the clock was ticking for her on TWD. And I am looking forward to seeing, I hope, someday, Carol knocking ugly Alpha's head right off her neck and watching it roll away.

Last edited by salinqmind; 10-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Speaking of Michonne, why OH WHY do they announce actors leaving the show early??
Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Michonne, why OH WHY do they announce actors leaving the show early??
To get you to come back and watch their departure, and maybe hook you on the show again.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
She is leaving the show but doing the movies.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM

We used to watch it religiously but now we're a full season behind. I don't really have an explanation other than to say it just isn't as compelling as it once was-- but we still have them on the DVR in case we decide to return to it.

Unlike Fear the Walking Dead, which was mostly not great, dabbled a little bit in being ok, then went full on goofy. We watched the first episode of this season, realized we dislike everyone in the main cast now and just removed it from the DVR completely.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I think in the future, The Walking Dead will be held up as an example of a TV series which didn't so much jump the shark, but shambled across it while going "Hmmmnnnnnuuuuhhh".
It's easier when the shark's dead.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 AM

Yeah, still watching. Loyal to a fault I guess. I did enjoy a few parts of the episode, most notably when Daryl and Carol were talking about just surviving from one fight to the next. I hope they were hinting at some kind of finality. Some kind of established community that begins to grow and you can see the future taking shape.

I also liked the fishing and beach training at Oceanside. Nice to see a valuable resource being used for once.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Im several seasons behind I think. I just kind of stopped watching without consciously deciding too. I just got tired of watching shows that beat up their audience week after week. I tell myself Im going to go back and catch up but Im not sure if I will.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm another one that lost interest right around the Negan years. I don't think I've watched an episode in 2+ years. It used to be a "can't miss" show for me. My sister and I use to discuss each episode. She was still watching after I stopped. I asked her the other day if The Walking Dead was still on. She told me she quit watching it about a year ago.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM

I literally stopped watching when Rick left, and I don't even like Rick. I gave up on Fear even before that. I'm not quite sure how, but it got to the point where I enjoyed Talking Dead more than the actual shows.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM

I've been watching it, but I really can't get into the "Whisperers". Yeah, it was kind of spooky the first couple of episodes. But disguising yourself as something people generally avoid or destroy or sight doesn't seem that great of a tactic. And unlike previous enemies, i.e. Negan & The Saviors, I don't get a sense that The Whisperers have overwhelming firepower, numbers, organization and resources that make them a legitimate threat. They are only "dangerous" to the large, well armed communities of our heroes because the plot says so.

And the "backstory" of how Alpha bet Beta was totally uninteresting and didn't lend any insight into their character.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 PM

I quit near the end of season 7. It was a favorite for a long time, but at some point it seemed to me the characters were spending a lot of time staring at each other.

But I'm super busy anyway. Any show should be proud to have a run like that. My TWD pal is still watching and thinks it has improved. My gf also still watches it with her TWD buddy.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm still watching, but on DVR. And I still like to watch The Talking Dead.

I like the story arc of Alpha and Beta's meet-up. (Meat-up? lol)

And I heard:

SPOILER:
Maggie is coming back. I guess her new show got cancelled?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I've been watching it, but I really can't get into the "Whisperers".
The introduction of the Whisperers as the latest villain was the beginning of the end for me. I watched about a half season after they first appeared and haven't watched any episodes since. Haven't really missed it, either.

There used to be a group of us at work who would gather in the cafeteria every Monday at lunch to discuss the previous night's show. Those days are long gone.