Old 10-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Krist Novoselic played in a few unsuccessful bands after Kurt Cobain died, and he too left the music business and last I heard is a behind-the-scenes worker in Washington state politics.
Krist might be out of music, as a business, but he still plays and also DJs at our local community radio station KMUN.

Here is playing accordion with Giants in the Trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants...2019_08_17.jpg
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Pete Best, who was already mentioned here, is probably the archetype of this person. Yeah, he was kicked out of the Beatles - and he could have easily regrouped, practiced rock drumming and improved his abilities, and then gotten back at it. He was already a known musician with an existing fan base and, hell, he was the former drummer of the Beatles. He simply decided not to.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Pasta View Post
In the Rush bio-documentary thing from some years back, Geddy said that they basically had to replace Rutsey because his diabetes would prevent him from touring. Sounded like it was a tough decision and a sad thing for everyone involved.
The official explanation is that Rutsey left due to health issues. But many have speculated Lifeson & Lee viewed him as a good but not a "great" drummer, they wanted the latter, and so were looking to replace him without his feelings being too hurt. His health issues may have been a convenient excuse. At any rate, it undoubtedly had a negative impact on Rutsey's mental wellbeing. A sad situation.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Great responses so far! Thanks!

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't intend in my OP to include musicians who dropped out due to injuries, mental health problems, drug problems, or reasons other than "I don't want to do this anymore." I also didn't mean to include musicians who got kicked out by the other members. My thinking about Robinson was, "Man...you were a member of a (couple) very financially successful group(s). Why not ride that for a few years? Do some guesting on other albums. Form 'The David Robinson Group' or something. Teach other drummers. Whatever."
Old 10-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Krist might be out of music, as a business, but he still plays and also DJs at our local community radio station KMUN.

Here is playing accordion with Giants in the Trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants...2019_08_17.jpg
Shouldn't be quoting myself, but I am.

Krist Novoselic is now just a local dude. I met him about 10 years ago when I was working in the office of a window/door installation company. This tall dude comes in with a job bid for a large window in a house across the river. Totally normal average rural guy driving a Ford F150, until I looked at the name on the job bid, and I said, "There can't be two of you." And he just smiled.

Sometimes people make enough money and they want to do something other than all the touring, traveling, and crap that goes with the fame.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Sometimes people make enough money and they want to do something other than all the touring, traveling, and crap that goes with the fame.
Andrew Ridgely of Wham! pretty much did that. It helped that his old friend and bandmate George Michael was exceedingly generous with splitting songwriting royalties, enabling Andrew to go off to live in Cornwall with Keren from Bananarama.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 10-11-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Pasta View Post
In the Rush bio-documentary thing from some years back, Geddy said that they basically had to replace Rutsey because his diabetes would prevent him from touring. Sounded like it was a tough decision and a sad thing for everyone involved.

As I'm responding to a post by Jonathan Chance, it is not without irony that I note that an original member of Styx, John Curulewski, departed the band under very similar circumstances to the departure of Gregg Rolie from Journey noted above. Band was just getting big, and he felt he had to choose between it and a young family. Family it was. I see from Wikipedia that he didn't quite leave the industry entirely- he apparently continued to play in a couple of bands that just stayed local in Chicago- but he certainly deliberately chose to leave the fame-and-fortune part of the industry. Eventually became a guitar teacher and, sadly, died at 37.
Curulewski was considerably taller than the rest of the band, and I wonder if the aneurysm that killed him might have been related to Marfan Syndrome, which can also lead to extreme height.

For that matter, their bassist, Chuck Panozzo, has battled AIDS for nearly 30 years, and is a fairly well-known activist and his autobiography is on recommended-reading lists for GLBT teenagers and their friends and families. He does talk about Styx only because it's the main reason the book exists, and it's mostly about what it was like for him growing up gay in an Italian Catholic family in the 50s and 60s, and later being that way in the world of 70s arena rock.

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Illusio...0941982&sr=8-1

He did leave the band in the early 1990s and has since rejoined a few times for short tours. Last I heard, he's still in OK health for a man with AIDS who is about 70 years old.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 10-12-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Would Billy Joel count? He was a hugely successful recording star who walked away from recording after the release of his album River of Dreams in 1993. Although he continues to tour, his only other release was a classical album in 2001, Fantasies and Delusions, which was performed by Richard Hyung-ki Joo. But he has basically called it quits on the music recording business.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Would Billy Joel count? He was a hugely successful recording star who walked away from recording after the release of his album River of Dreams in 1993. Although he continues to tour, his only other release was a classical album in 2001, Fantasies and Delusions, which was performed by Richard Hyung-ki Joo. But he has basically called it quits on the music recording business.
No, I don't think so. With tix at $200+ for his recent tours, I consider him to still be in the business. Failing to record new albums is a different thing.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Todd Rundgren's band Utopia may have been the most geeky band ever.

Keyboard player Rodger Powell developed one of the very first midi sequencers while still on the band. After they broke up, he became a professional software engineer working for Silicon Graphics, Waveframe and Apple, developing the audio systems of Final Cut Pro.

Drummer Willie Wilcox also got into software development and works for Bally, and does audio development for their state-of-the-art gaming machines.

Previous drummer Kevin Ellman quit to run the family business Beefsteak Charlie's and eventually became a "wealth management consultant" and certified financial planner appearing on CNBC on a regular basis.
Thanks for this post gaffa. I was going to mention John "Willie" Wilcox earlier but I was kinda sketchy on the details and his Wikipedia page wasn't a lot of help. I recall that he also worked for Bell Labs at one time, but honestly don't remember if that was before or after Utopia.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Ron Blair was the original bassist with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. He left the band in 1982 because he wanted to spend more time with family than he'd be able to if he went on tour. He was replaced by Howie Epstein. After about 20 years (and the passing of Epstein), Blair rejoined the band.

Last edited by breezman; 10-13-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
She went back to school and got her J.D from Harvard.
Good for her. I'm not the world's biggest Donnas fan, but they had some decent songs, and she was the object of my little crush.

ETA: David Lee Roth famously worked as an EMT for a while after leaving Van Halen.

Last edited by Superdude; 10-13-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM

I wonder if Gregg Rolie's lack of post-Journey fame is intentional.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Thanks for this post gaffa. I was going to mention John "Willie" Wilcox earlier but I was kinda sketchy on the details and his Wikipedia page wasn't a lot of help. I recall that he also worked for Bell Labs at one time, but honestly don't remember if that was before or after Utopia.
Roger was a demo artist for Moog and ARP before joining Utopia. I saw him demo the ARP Odyssey at Quigley Music in Kansas City, and one of his best demos was a steam train starting up, coming up to speed and blowing the whistle. He later did it for the opening of the song Station to Station on Bowie's tour. Here he is with Adrian Belew:

https://youtu.be/WSQHFUe6Y5s

Willie developed a surround sound slot machine that sampled Michael Jackson's music and all those noises he used to make.

And of course Todd was a bigger geek than either of them.

Last edited by gaffa; 10-17-2019 at 05:38 PM.