Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 PM

...1000 Days of Trump.

...this isn't a rant thread, nor is it a great debate, if you want to rant or debate there are more than enough threads around to be able to do that.

We are coming up to 1000 days of the Trump administration, today is day 994. A New Zealander living in Texas, going by the online handle "Sassy Little Hobbit", has been documenting the administration since Day 1 in a series of daily tweets that tried to capture the flavour of the insanity that happened on that particular day.

She originally was only going to do it for a week, then a month, then a year. But she has decided that she will probably stop when she gets to 1000 because it isn't the kind of thing anyone could do without needing to be able to take a time-out. So as we enter what might be the "endgame" for this administration, I thought some people might be interested in looking back to see how it all started.

There isn't a single day without drama. There are stuff that are really really important that I can't remember that it happened, who was involved, or what actually happened. For example on Day 25:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 25
Day 25: National Security Adviser resigns after basically compromising.... er... security
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...53956416765952

What was that about? Which National Security Advisor and what did he or she do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 27
Day 27: Labor Secretary pulls out. Allegations of domestic abuse.

Day 28: National Security Adviser replacement declines offer.
Who were these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 44
Day 44: Accuses Barack Obama of surveilling him and Trump tower in an early morning tweetstorm and then goaded Arnold Schwarzenegger.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...45026731806721

I had forgotten that he had gotten into a twitter fight with the Terminator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 5
Day 5: Rogue National Parks.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...31844249305088

The launch of the resistance The rogue government twitter accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 9
Day 9: ACLU gets first win against Trump. Oh and a Nazi replaced the Joint Chiefs at National Security Council.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...52269340971008

Remember when Bannon sat on the National Security Council? That was Day 9 of the administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 76
Day 76: White Supremacist removed from security council. He is actually jealous of his own staff (Bannon getting attention)
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...50691074109440

Bannon had access to security council meetings for 67 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 18
Also Press Secretary had to come out and say Trump doesn't own a bathrobe
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...89007790202880

What was this one about again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82
Day 82: Press sec refers to concentration camps as "Holocaust centers" & forgot Hitler gassed his own people. FISA warrant on Trump Adviser.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...07879615758337

Ah, Sean Spicer. Remember the days when they still had press briefings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 105
Day 105: celebrated house GOP trying to take healthcare away from 24mil ppl. Praised Australia for having universal healthcare the same day.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...44149312241665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 110
Day 110: Census director quit, FBI director fired, grand jury subpoenas issued to Flynn associates, name calling on official POTUS account.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...56146702004228

Sometimes a lot of things happened on the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111
Day 111: The President of the USA rage livetweeted CNN, Russian media allowed in Oval but not American media, press sec hid in bushes.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...17673053302784

Sometimes so many things happened that the only sensible thing to do was hide in the bushes.

Day 122 is just a picture. But what a picture.

Day 132 bought us covfefe.

Even though I think I've been pretty good at keeping up with most of this, I'm still astonished at the pace that everything happened, at at how quickly things that weren't normal have just become normalised. How much of this stuff do you remember?

The thread starts here:

Quote:
Day 1: pretty shit eh
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...11239876620293
Old 10-11-2019, 11:51 PM

I remember a Doper saying, after 4 weeks into the Trump presidency, that this was unsustainable and the idea of having to endure 4 years of Trump was unfathomable. Well, we're closing in on three years already.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I remember a Doper saying, after 4 weeks into the Trump presidency, that this was unsustainable and the idea of having to endure 4 years of Trump was unfathomable. Well, we're closing in on three years already.
It's no less exhausting today than it was on Day 1. I still wake up every morning, roll over and look at my phone to make sure someone didn't get nuked overnight.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 10-12-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 AM

I remember on the night he won the election, I predicted this was going to be the most corrupt administration in U.S. history. Though I predicted the corruption, I hadn't predicted a total break with reality. Didn't know I was an optimist.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:52 AM

Well I'm loving it. Just watched the Trump rally in Louisiana on TV. I actually stood up and cheered when Trump made this very un-Presidential statement:
"The radical Democrat's policies are crazy, their politicians are corrupt, their candidates are terrible, and they know they can't win on election day, so they're pursuing an illegal, invalid, and unconstitutional bullshit impeachment."
I just gotta love that kind of no-holds-barred honesty. How many elected officials have the balls to call "bullshit" when they see it?

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 10-12-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Well I'm loving it. Just watched the Trump rally in Louisiana on TV. I actually stood up and cheered when Trump made this very un-Presidential statement:
"The radical Democrat's policies are crazy, their politicians are corrupt, their candidates are terrible, and they know they can't win on election day, so they're pursuing an illegal, invalid, and unconstitutional bullshit impeachment."
I just gotta love that kind of no-holds-barred honesty. How many elected officials have the balls to call "bullshit" when they see it?
...was that the rally where the President of the United States faked an orgasm on stage?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
This pretty much encapsulates the confused views of most Trump supporters: they mistake undignified vitriol for honesty and courage. Who's telling the truth? It must be the guy spewing crap about people I want to hate!

A sad and dangerous state of affairs.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Aren't you embarrassed?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have close family members who hold similar views, and might make comparable remarks. That I am not related to them by blood is no small consolation.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
You must have loved it when Biden told Obama “This is a big fucking deal” when the ACA was signed
Old 10-12-2019, 02:47 PM

Trump has no balls, but boyoboyoboy, he's just full of bullshit!

I'm sure his "handlers" go batshit every time he sits on his solid gold toilet and tweets his particular flavor of nonsense.

I am old enough to where I have frequent flashbacks of Nixon going down in flames.

~VOW
Old 10-12-2019, 05:45 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I've mostly moved past anger into despondency and dark humor.

Also I don't expect better from America anymore. I guess this is the new normal.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:21 PM

So the OP has questions about the following days. I thought I'd make it easier to google by converting them to dates.

Day 18: Feb 7, 2017 - The New York Times had reported that Trump was often found sitting watching TV new in his bathrobe, and marking up the bad reports about him, as part of the general disarray in the White House. In response, Press Secretary Sean Spicer claimed that the report was inaccurate, and specifically mentioned that Trump did not even own a bathrobe, let alone wear one. So, of course, pictures which showed wearing a bathrobe flooded social media.

Day 25: Feb 13, 2017 - National Security Adviser Michael Flynn resigns. I presume everyone remembers why. (hint: Russian ambassadors)

Day 27: Feb 16, 2017 - Anti-labor fast food executive Andrew Puzder withdraws his name for Labor secretary, due in part to his crappy business practices, and having employed an undocumented worker as a housekeeper. Trump quickly nominates Alex Acosta to replace him, who resigned this year due to the Epstein case.

Day 28: Feb 17, 2017 - Vice Adm. Robert Harward, a retired Navy SEAL and former deputy commander of U.S. Central Command, turned down Trump's offer to become National Security Adviser, citing personal issues. It's possible the issue was that he would not be allowed to replace his staff. The job eventually went to H. R. McMaster, who lasted a bit more than a year. John Bolton (1.5 years) and now Robert O'Brien (since last month) followed.

In short, we have an unstable Administration, and this was clear even less than a month after Trump was elected.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
It's no less exhausting today than it was on Day 1. I still wake up every morning, roll over and look at my phone to make sure someone didn't get nuked overnight.
I do the same but it's to see if Trump's died overnight. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 AM

...and we hit 1000 days today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Little Hobbit
Day 1,000: Trump selected his own Trump Doral golf resort as the site of June’s G-7 summit. His CoS claimed Trump held back aid from Ukraine as quid pro quo and then changed his mind. Secretary of Energy, Rick Perry, is the latest official to call it quits.
https://twitter.com/LI_politico/stat...74832037306368

And what a day it was.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So the OP has questions about the following days. I thought I'd make it easier to google by converting them to dates.

Day 18: Feb 7, 2017 - The New York Times had reported that Trump was often found sitting watching TV new in his bathrobe, and marking up the bad reports about him, as part of the general disarray in the White House. In response, Press Secretary Sean Spicer claimed that the report was inaccurate, and specifically mentioned that Trump did not even own a bathrobe, let alone wear one. So, of course, pictures which showed wearing a bathrobe flooded social media.

Day 25: Feb 13, 2017 - National Security Adviser Michael Flynn resigns. I presume everyone remembers why. (hint: Russian ambassadors)

Day 27: Feb 16, 2017 - Anti-labor fast food executive Andrew Puzder withdraws his name for Labor secretary, due in part to his crappy business practices, and having employed an undocumented worker as a housekeeper. Trump quickly nominates Alex Acosta to replace him, who resigned this year due to the Epstein case.

Day 28: Feb 17, 2017 - Vice Adm. Robert Harward, a retired Navy SEAL and former deputy commander of U.S. Central Command, turned down Trump's offer to become National Security Adviser, citing personal issues. It's possible the issue was that he would not be allowed to replace his staff. The job eventually went to H. R. McMaster, who lasted a bit more than a year. John Bolton (1.5 years) and now Robert O'Brien (since last month) followed.

In short, we have an unstable Administration, and this was clear even less than a month after Trump was elected.
...thank you