Old 01-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I happen to agree 100% with Stephen King on the topic:

I think he has backpedaled a bit since saying that, which is a shame.

Why should anything but quality matter when awarding for quality?

mmm
Nobody is talking about any other factor than quality. NOBODY!

But when the gatekeepers are largely white and male, they will be the arbiters of what is considered "quality" and those standards, those criteria are going to be weighted toward what the white males most identify with, most relate to, most understand, are most moved by. Given this is Hollywood, you can add "rich" and "older" to that characterization, too.

And they are not going to be necessarily representative of what a larger, more diverse body of artists consider "quality". Not by a long shot. But those other voices, those opinions, those perspectives will always be marginalized as long as they are underrepresented among the gatekeepers.

This isn't about "compromising" on quality. It's about teaching a more homogeneous body that "quality" is more expansive, more subtle, and more complex than they will often give it credit for. Art forms are always going to change and evolve and voices and styles that are forward-thinking, outside the mainstream, and diverse are going to be hard to get used to and will take longer to gain credibility. History has shown that time has not always been kind to many Oscar-winners of other eras.

But the then-ignored films of past eras that are now often considered the great ones usually had contemporary champions if you knew where to look and where to listen. But that was rarely within the Hollywood establishment, even when those films were staring them in the face.

Those films are here now. But the establishment is still going to embrace what it wants and let films fall through the cracks left and right, both in the marketplace and the awards podium. This year was a particularly egregious example because of how disproportionately popular some films were at the expense of others that were (debatably) their equals. But that happens every year. It's the way things are but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. That's all.

So as the person who started this thread, I respectively ask that this line of debate be closed. If you want to continue it further, feel free to create your own thread and link it back to this one. But art will always be subjective and the standards people set for themselves will be informed by many different factors. Any further discussion on those standards should be specific to the Oscar-nominated films in competition currently, since like it or not, we know who are the final contenders and all others that didn't make the list will have to watch from the sidelines and continue to do their best in the future.

Thanks to everyone for the conversation! ~MM

Last edited by MovieMogul; 01-15-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Any pundit who writes an article objecting to the lack of diversity in a category should be required to state who they'd boot out. Which director would you kick out for Greta Gerwig? Or which actress for Jennifer Lopez? Makes your job a little tougher, don't it?

My personal opinion: I don't know. The lack of diversity is alarming but I don't have a solution so I'm not writing.
Which actress for Jennifer Lopez? That is so easy. Scarlet Johansson.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Agree 100%. This is the perfect example of people voting for a part (highly sympathetic character, funny and touching) rather than the performance. ScarJo is very good in Marriage Story and she's fine in Jojo but you see nothing that any number of other actresses couldn't have done. It really is impossible to imagine anyone but JLo in her part without completely changing the movie.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Any pundit who writes an article objecting to the lack of diversity in a category should be required to state who they'd boot out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
...So as the person who started this thread, I respectively ask that this line of debate be closed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Quote:
Agree 100%...
Wait, I'm losing track. Are we again allowed to discuss diversity in this thread?

Because I respectfully avoided responding to the OP's lengthy opinion on the topic - you know, the one that s/he concluded with the request that the subject be closed - only to see that the OP and those who agree with him/her are continuing the debate.

At least their side of it.

mmm
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Wait, I'm losing track. Are we again allowed to discuss diversity in this thread?

Because I respectfully avoided responding to the OP's lengthy opinion on the topic - you know, the one that s/he concluded with the request that the subject be closed - only to see that the OP and those who agree with him/her are continuing the debate.

At least their side of it.

mmm
The first quote discusses diversity, the second quote is the OP respectfully asking to turn discussion to the specific nominations (my interpretation, admittedly). The last two quotes are discussion of an alternate acting performance for Best Supporting Actress, suggesting an actress explicitly listed as a strong contender for a nomination in the OP. I don't see anything in those last two posts that even touches on diversity as a topic.

In reply to the discussion, I would not have objected to Jennifer Lopez in the nominations. She stole the show in a nominally supporting performance in Hustlers. But I think Scarlett Johansson's performance in JoJo Rabbit is equally standout. For me, Laura Dern and ScarJo were mortal locks based on the sheer impact of their performances. Margot Robbie did an outstanding job in Bombshell and turned in another lead performance in a nominally supporting role, while Florence Pugh really nailed a new take on the character of Amy in Little Women. Kathy Bates is always outstanding, but the role she played and its place in the screenplay made it minor rather than major Bates.

So, if you must pop J Lo in, I'd sacrifice Bates, though I think all of the actresses gave really good performances, plus a few others I could list, so I'm not crushed by her exclusion.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm blown away people think Scarlett Johansson deserves a nomination for Jojo Rabbit. I loved that movie, but her part could have been played by a no-name actress just as well and it would receive no attention. She did not do a bad job, but the role was not a stand-out role at all.

The little kid in the movie, though. What a great performance!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
The first quote discusses diversity, the second quote is the OP respectfully asking to turn discussion to the specific nominations (my interpretation, admittedly). The last two quotes are discussion of an alternate acting performance for Best Supporting Actress, suggesting an actress explicitly listed as a strong contender for a nomination in the OP. I don't see anything in those last two posts that even touches on diversity as a topic.

In reply to the discussion, I would not have objected to Jennifer Lopez in the nominations. She stole the show in a nominally supporting performance in Hustlers. But I think Scarlett Johansson's performance in JoJo Rabbit is equally standout. For me, Laura Dern and ScarJo were mortal locks based on the sheer impact of their performances. Margot Robbie did an outstanding job in Bombshell and turned in another lead performance in a nominally supporting role, while Florence Pugh really nailed a new take on the character of Amy in Little Women. Kathy Bates is always outstanding, but the role she played and its place in the screenplay made it minor rather than major Bates.

So, if you must pop J Lo in, I'd sacrifice Bates, though I think all of the actresses gave really good performances, plus a few others I could list, so I'm not crushed by her exclusion.
Thanks, yes, that was the intention. JLo racked up a ton of critic awards and nominations, so her exclusion is fair game in its conspicuousness, regardless of speculating the reasons that may or may not have been behind it.

And I haven't seen the Eastwood (and won't) so it doesn't surprise me that a role that got little attention gets a nod that goes to an Oscar-regular. It may be a good turn (Bates is always fairly reliable), but looking back over the Academy's alumni is an equally lazy way to fill out a slate instead of taking the chance of digging deeper for other options.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks, yes, that was the intention. JLo racked up a ton of critic awards and nominations, so her exclusion is fair game in its conspicuousness, regardless of speculating the reasons that may or may not have been behind it.

And I haven't seen the Eastwood (and won't) so it doesn't surprise me that a role that got little attention gets a nod that goes to an Oscar-regular. It may be a good turn (Bates is always fairly reliable), but looking back over the Academy's alumni is an equally lazy way to fill out a slate instead of taking the chance of digging deeper for other options.
While I don't think Richard Jewell is one of the best films of the year, it is a well crafted, well cast movie that stays engaging for its entire length (I can't think of any Eastwood helmed pictures I would consider a "bad movie"). Eastwood has built a pretty formidable stable of actors that he can call on, but I think most of his films over the past few years are more musing on the state of mankind than "statement" projects, which ends up muting their potential.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

About that whole "no bad Clint Eastwood movie" thing...

Last edited by JohnT; 01-17-2020 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Really, this place ought to allow for graphics. It would be more fun.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:38 AM

Did a two-fer yesterday, 1917 and Ford v Ferrari.

Ford v Ferrari was very entertaining but not without its flaws. I felt it was overlong. Some of the race scenes, while well done, could have been shortened. They got a bit repetitive after a while. And there were several cliched scenes I could have done without. Christian Bale's performance stood out.

I thoroughly enjoyed 1917. I had a nitpick or two, but I cannot remember what they were, so they must have been pretty insignificant. The two leads, who are relatively unknowns (brilliant casting decision), are perfect for the roles.

mmm