Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 16,803
Significant differences between adult and child medications (outside of dosage)?

So my older son has become old enough and heavy enough to take 12.5 mg of 100mg/5ml child ibuprofen liquid. Which is all well and good, but kid ibuprofen liquid and the chewable tablets are kind of expensive relative to the adult stuff.

So it occurred to me that a regular old grownup ibuprofen tablet is 200 mg, which is a little less than the full 12.5 mg dose, but we already have those laying around, and for most things like growing pains or mild headaches, are probably adequate anyway.

Is there any real reason we can't just give him one ibuprofen tablet instead of the kid liquid, since the dosage is actually less on the tablet?
  #2  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,037
I just realized this weekend that regular strength Tylenol has dosage instructions for kids 6-12, but extra strength (the kind I usually buy) does not. I was giving my son a dose of kid's tylenol equivalent to one regular strength pill, and paying 5x the price for the grape flavor he hates.

There are ibuprofen dosage charts online that include dosages for kids <100lbs.

Here is an example.
  #3  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM
robby's Avatar
robby robby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
So my older son has become old enough and heavy enough to take 12.5 mg of 100mg/5ml child ibuprofen liquid. Which is all well and good, but kid ibuprofen liquid and the chewable tablets are kind of expensive relative to the adult stuff.

So it occurred to me that a regular old grownup ibuprofen tablet is 200 mg, which is a little less than the full 12.5 mg dose, but we already have those laying around, and for most things like growing pains or mild headaches, are probably adequate anyway.

Is there any real reason we can't just give him one ibuprofen tablet instead of the kid liquid, since the dosage is actually less on the tablet?
I'm guessing you meant to write 12.5 mL instead of 12.5 mg in the above post.
  #4  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 16,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I'm guessing you meant to write 12.5 mL instead of 12.5 mg in the above post.
Yeah, I did. Basically it's 100 mg per teaspoon (5 ml). He gets 2.5 teaspoons worth(12.5 ml), and a tablet is 200 mg. So I'd be short-changing him by 50 mg or a half-teaspoon for the sake of convenience.

Which is still a lot larger dosage by weight than I end up with taking two of the things.
  #5  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,365
There can certainly be differences other than dosage between a liquid and a pill. How the active ingredient is delivered will affect how quickly it's absorbed, and where in the body, which can be very significant. How is this relevant to the difference between an adult and a child? Ask a pediatric pharmacologist.
  #6  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Treppenwitz Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 435
Obvious question - is your son old enough to take a tablet? I mean, that's the reason (one of them) that there are liquid formulations for kids. There may be a non-zero choking risk that you have to take into account here.

j
  #7  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 16,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Obvious question - is your son old enough to take a tablet? I mean, that's the reason (one of them) that there are liquid formulations for kids. There may be a non-zero choking risk that you have to take into account here.

j
Yeah, he's 7 and a half. I'm sure he can handle a pill.
  #8  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,711
We switched our kids from kid-intended liquids to tablets sold for adults as soon as the kids were old enough to swallow a tablet. This was for prescription medication, and when we asked the pediatrician if we could give them tablets he said. "so long as they can swallow them, sure." He wrote the prescription for pills, and asked us to get back to him for a liquid if they had any trouble with the pills.

Pills are way easier. No fussy measuring, no refrigeration needed, and you can swallow them without tasting the medicine. All the liquids taste nasty under the sweet fake fruit flavors.
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
PastTense PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,229
Quote:
If you follow proper dosing, a child can safely use adult tablets and an adult can safely use children's liquid.
https://healthproadvice.com/medicati...dult-ibuprofen
  #10  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Hirka T'Bawa Hirka T'Bawa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE Metro Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,361
If they are both immediate release forms of the medication, then the only difference is the form it comes in. 10 mL of the regular liquid Ibuprofen (100mg/5mL) is the same as 2 chewable tablets, is the same as 1 adult tablet, they are all 200mg. This will be the same for most immediate release forms of most medications. If the dose is appropriate, there is nothing stopping an adult from taking the children liquid, or a child taking a tablet. Just make sure you give the appropriate dose, dosed by the child's body weight.

For certain extended release formulations, this might not be true. Double check with a pharmacist if you're giving an adult extended release medication to a child under 12 to make sure it is appropriate.
  #11  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Hermitian's Avatar
Hermitian Hermitian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Yeah, he's 7 and a half. I'm sure he can handle a pill.
Yea, that is what I thought when I tried to give my 7 year old a pill. 15 minutes and many tears later, I surrendered.
  #12  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,711
My kids switched to pills about age 3. And we were all happier for it.
  #13  
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 AM
outlierrn outlierrn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,580
In the ER we choose liquid or pills solely on their ability to swallow pills.
__________________
Just another outlying data point on the bell curve of life
  #14  
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 AM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11,947
Don't use an ibuprofen tablet to find out if your kid can swallow pills. Use Tic Tacs, or some other small candy.
  #15  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 AM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Don't use an ibuprofen tablet to find out if your kid can swallow pills. Use Tic Tacs, or some other small candy.
Ideal for this are mini baking M&M's.
  #16  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 AM
nelliebly nelliebly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,088
I used the tiny cake decor sprinkles for my kids to practice swallowing pills. The fun shapes--flowers, crowns, fish--made it fun, and I wasn't tempted to eat up the "practice pills."
  #17  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:54 AM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I used the tiny cake decor sprinkles for my kids to practice swallowing pills. The fun shapes--flowers, crowns, fish--made it fun, and I wasn't tempted to eat up the "practice pills."
Even better!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017