Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM

How to wash soiled towels better

I have an old Dachshund/Chihuahua mix that's 14 years old. Will be 15 in June. He sleeps in a kennel I made from a plastic bin. His bed is a towel. He pees in it so I have a stack of towels to change every day.

My problem is after washing it still stink so it's washed again. My sis will be mad if I leave the machine smelly. We use the He soap pellets.

What's the better way of washing his beddings?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Bleach. Use all cotton white or light colored towels.
I've found too much polyester or microfiber retains stains and smells more.
I used to wash Mr.Wrekker field clothing in pine oil. I added 1/2 cup to a load. Beware the smell gets out of the laundry room
Old 02-11-2019, 12:39 PM

I add a scoop of the Oxiclean powder to my dogs' stinky towels, in addition to detergent. I wash them on sanitize or whites (high temp, basically). I also don't use the pellets, FWIW.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Besides the advice on what to wash the sheets themselves with, I would suggest that you run the machine empty with just white vinegar after doing the sheets so it doesn't smell.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM

After one washing both the towels and the machine smells.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I add a scoop of the Oxiclean powder to my dogs' stinky towels, in addition to detergent. I wash them on sanitize or whites (high temp, basically). I also don't use the pellets, FWIW.
seems we have a similar situation. Your advice is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Heh, I realize you're getting super different answers. My rec is boraxo hand soap. It has cleaning powers far beyond its pricepoint.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM

get some nature's miracle urine destroyer and add some of that to the wash. expensive in pet stores but you can get a gallon online.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Another vote for oxiclean. I have also had good results with using baking soda. With baking soda, it doesn't take a huge scoop. I usually just sprinkle it in on top of the stuff.

If the washer smells afterward, I run a clean washer cycle with bleach or baking soda.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Aw, a chiweenie! I have a dachshund. He doesn't pee on his bedding, but we cover the couch with blankies that need to washed at least once a week. We just run a normal wash cycle with ordinary powder detergent and haven't noticed any smell afterwards in either the blankies or the washer. Is it the pee that'a problem?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM

I always choose the "extra rinse" option when washing dog bedding (or other dirty items)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Yes it is pee. That's for sure. He'll pee on the floor if no one notice he needed to go outside. I can't get him to bark at the door. Funny that he'll bark to be let in but not to be let out.

Last edited by SigMan; 02-11-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Aw, a chiweenie! I have a dachshund. He doesn't pee on his bedding, but we cover the couch with blankies that need to washed at least once a week. We just run a normal wash cycle with ordinary powder detergent and haven't noticed any smell afterwards in either the blankies or the washer. Is it the pee that'a problem?
Fisher

https://i.postimg.cc/25j4XSMV/IMG-20190211-140620.jpg
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM

I fostered a chiweenie once. Cutest little thing, ever. I had him a month before he got his forever home. I spent the whole month trying to potty train him. Finally he got it. He also had the dachshund smell about him. I got used to it but others noticed it and complained. I bathed him nearly every other day. Still stinky.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM

I had a similar problem with a kitty who decided she'd rather pee in the house than in the litter in her cat room.

When I washed the towels, I used rubbing alcohol in the fabric softener dispenser so it would come out during the rinse cycle.

I'm sure someone is going to come by and tell me how very, very bad an idea that is, but it did help.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 AM

We have three dog crates and a run in our basement; they all have blankets and towels as bedding. Nobody pees in the crates, but they do stink over time and accumulate a ton of hair. I take dog blankets, towels, and horse saddle pads/blankets to the laundromat.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I'm kind of confused, what exactly are soap pellets? Is that just powdered detergent or is it a different form?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
We have three dog crates and a run in our basement; they all have blankets and towels as bedding. Nobody pees in the crates, but they do stink over time and accumulate a ton of hair. I take dog blankets, towels, and horse saddle pads/blankets to the laundromat.
I'm sure they looo˛ove you.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
I'm sure they looo˛ove you.
The dogs and horses? Yes, they do.

The laundromat? Yeah, hey, I dunno. The giant washing machines seem made to handle crazy stuff, and there are no "DO NOT LAUNDER DOG BLANKET" signs posted.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I'm kind of confused, what exactly are soap pellets? Is that just powdered detergent or is it a different form?
Let me amend that, it's laundry pods.

https://i.postimg.cc/02qgfSjC/Screen...8-PM-large.png

Last edited by SigMan; 02-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 AM

SigMan, I know this wasn't what you asked and please don't take it the wrong way, but why isn't somebody making sure the dog goes out often enough that he doesn't have to hold it in till he just has to go?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 AM

I would also recommend soaking the towels in vinegar (a cup to a gallon of water, that kind of thing) before washing them. That definitely works for cat urine.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-elf View Post
SigMan, I know this wasn't what you asked and please don't take it the wrong way, but why isn't somebody making sure the dog goes out often enough that he doesn't have to hold it in till he just has to go?
He's too quiet about it. As I remarked earlier he doesn't bark at the door to go out so we had to check often. Sometimes we are distracted so it happens.

He's 14 years old so he's having trouble controlling his bladder.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The dogs and horses? Yes, they do.

The laundromat? Yeah, hey, I dunno. The giant washing machines seem made to handle crazy stuff, and there are no "DO NOT LAUNDER DOG BLANKET" signs posted.

I once frequented a laundromat that did say DO NOT WASH HORSE BLANKETS IN THE SMALL MACHINES. I thought, wash horse blankets?

I just hung my horse blankets on the line and hosed them off. Very rarely. (I hosed the horses off a little more often.)

For the OP, Nature's Miracle is great stuff. Putting in a cup of vinegar in the machine can also be effective. Cute doggie.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 02-13-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 AM

I would never put a pet's crate towel directly into my washing machine.

I always soak it first in my **laundry tub in bleach & soap. I use liquid All. A thirty min soak seems about right. Sometimes longer if I'm busy.

Bleach kills any flea eggs and bad smells.

Rinse Thoroughly and then it goes into the washer.

I still find pet hair in my dryer's lint filter. But, a lot of it got removed in the laundry tub.

**bathtub if you don't have a laundry tub

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I once frequented a laundromat that did say DO NOT WASH HORSE BLANKETS IN THE SMALL MACHINES. I thought, wash horse blankets?

I just hung my horse blankets on the line and hosed them off. Very rarely. (I hosed the horses off a little more often.)
A friend takes her husband's work clothes to a laundromat. He works with graphite. At the end of his shift, he undresses and puts his clothes into a heavy duty plastic bag. He then showers in the "dirty showers". Cleaner, he then moves to the "clean showers" for a second scrubbing. He then dresses in clean clothes and goes home. I saw a selfie of him after his first shower, and he looked like he was wearing mascara.

The bags of clothing reside in their shed until laundry day. Once a week, his wife takes his work clothes to the laundromat. I don't feel bad about doing dog & horse blankets after hearing about her graphite experiences.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM

I had a renter that operated a riding school. The horse blankets ruined the washer. Just too heavy when wet.