Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
That is not linked in the OPs' original post of this thread. Customary around here to link it. I don't read every post by every user after that - built in ignore function.
If you click the little > symbol at the top of a quote box it takes you to the post/thread the quote came from. So there was a link.
  #252  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Again, to clarify, the OP was moderated, just not clearly enough. That was my fault. I thought I was being clear, but obviously I was not. The intent was to moderate it with a mod note and to leave the thread open, exactly as your second paragraph says.
OK, thanks.
  #253  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:32 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
That is not linked in the OPs' original post of this thread.
The whole thread is linked.
Quote:
Literal. I'm a male Ibanez and here's where I think you're wrong....
So, the same as just "male", then, given the medium we're in.
  #254  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,860
In light of the miscommunication, I'll instead recommend a way to be more clear. Since the intention was to tell nate that such language is not acceptable, the post should have started like this:
Moderator Note

nate, such language is not acceptable. The SDMB is not a Penthouse forum.
And it should have ended with
I will allow this thread to stay open. But do not do this again.
In the middle, you can be softer, but keep the beginning and ending parts clear and to the point.
  #255  
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,847
IANAM (I am not a mod,) but I thought the general rules of the Straight Dope are that people are allowed to say unsavory things, or advocate for unsavory viewpoints, as long as they do so in a way that is not flagrantly abusive or profane.

It's like the discussion from a few months ago about whether we should permit talk about race that was offensive - should such content be banned because it is expressed offensively, or because its very nature is offensive?
  #256  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
From time to time, we go on an Improvement Campaign here at the Straight Dope.

Unfortunately for us, we've never had to use another title for it, because there's ever so much work to be done using the old one, which is "Let's raise the tone of the board."

When it gets to the point where about every other post I might see makes me think, "I wouldn't have told THAT," (whatever "THAT" might be), it's usually overdue.

And no, I don't want another forum for it, I want to cut down on the incidence of it. Some of you might live for this sort of material, but ya know, we can all do better.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Bolding mine.

That was 16 years ago and we're still discussing what to do about misogyny.
  #257  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM
alice_in_wonderland's Avatar
alice_in_wonderland is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Down the rabbit, whole!
Posts: 12,601
Occasionally Iím overwhelmed by all the change I see in the world. Lots of things shifting, lots to keep up with. It can be a lot.

But not here. Men continue to say disgusting things, women continue to object, other men rush in to explain how the women are wrong, women continue to leave, mods continue to flail around trying to figure out why.

Manda Joe, you are tenacious and I respect that. However, the amount of emotional labour women are expected to do to get men to behave in a non-repulsive way is disheartening.

I seldom come here anymore, which I realize many donít regard as a loss. However, traditionally I have bought a membership, bought merch, supported other members with actual cash money. But this means nothing in the context of this place. My contribution and discomfort is of less concern than the idea of actually speaking about women in a way that is remotely respectful and not dehumanizing. Thatís too much to manage.

In fact, up thread the suggestion is that women should find other boards that are friendlier to women, rather than suggesting that male (some) posters could try to be less piggish.

Ok, good, Iíll do that. Along with at least a dozen other women posters that donít come here anymore because itís gross. Oh well, as long as the boys can talk about Ďhitting that, with the ass hanging outí all is well in SDMB land.

Stay classy folks.
  #258  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
That sounds awefully like this place condones me shouting the N-Word 100 times. And the mods not giving a shit about hate speech.

Which I thought was a rule.
Don't go pushing that envelope, Drunky. Trust me.
  #259  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
Occasionally Iím overwhelmed by all the change I see in the world. Lots of things shifting, lots to keep up with. It can be a lot.

But not here. Men continue to say disgusting things, women continue to object, other men rush in to explain how the women are wrong, women continue to leave, mods continue to flail around trying to figure out why.

Manda Joe, you are tenacious and I respect that. However, the amount of emotional labour women are expected to do to get men to behave in a non-repulsive way is disheartening.

I seldom come here anymore, which I realize many donít regard as a loss. However, traditionally I have bought a membership, bought merch, supported other members with actual cash money. But this means nothing in the context of this place. My contribution and discomfort is of less concern than the idea of actually speaking about women in a way that is remotely respectful and not dehumanizing. Thatís too much to manage.

In fact, up thread the suggestion is that women should find other boards that are friendlier to women, rather than suggesting that male (some) posters could try to be less piggish.

Ok, good, Iíll do that. Along with at least a dozen other women posters that donít come here anymore because itís gross. Oh well, as long as the boys can talk about Ďhitting that, with the ass hanging outí all is well in SDMB land.

Stay classy folks.
I understand you may think enough is enough, but this is a bit of a harsh way to phrase it after the mod involved has done a mea culpa on not clearly moderating the post in question. It may be too late for some but I think this place will get in line with what you hope pretty soon.
  #260  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I understand you may think enough is enough, but this is a bit of a harsh way to phrase it after the mod involved has done a mea culpa on not clearly moderating the post in question. It may be too late for some but I think this place will get in line with what you hope pretty soon.
And yet that shitty thread is still open for business and probably will remain so--as for the getting in line bit, would it be terribly on the nose if I suggest that this is a "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow but never jam today" sort of situation? Yup, it's gonna be better REAL SOON folks, any day now, yup. Uh huh. I have a list of Durpers who I truly and devoutly wish would hold their breath until that day comes.
  #261  
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,178
Iím with you Manda Jo
  #262  
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 PM
elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 14,405
Weíre not legitimizing it, you understand, not at all...

And yet, it remains.
  #263  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
And yet that shitty thread is still open for business and probably will remain so--as for the getting in line bit, would it be terribly on the nose if I suggest that this is a "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow but never jam today" sort of situation? Yup, it's gonna be better REAL SOON folks, any day now, yup. Uh huh. I have a list of Durpers who I truly and devoutly wish would hold their breath until that day comes.
The thread itself, isn't that shitty at all. You can be mad that the moderation wasn't firm enough but you could also be glad that almost everyone in that thread thought he wasn't just wrong but expressed himself in a gross and wrong way.
  #264  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:32 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Weíre not legitimizing it, you understand, not at all...

And yet, it remains.
This.
  #265  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,596
Serious question. I am a Christian. I am frequently offended by the way Doper atheists belittle and insult my beliefs, often using disparaging language.

It makes me uncomfortable, and it occurs regularly and without so much as a gentle do-not-be-a-jerk reminder from moderation.

Can you imagine speaking like this in any sort of mixed company? At a work function? A back-yard BBQ with Christians present?

Would the OP, and those who support her, stand with me if I chose to protest such behavior.

I ask in good faith and will seriously consider thoughtful replies.



mmm
  #266  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM
galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Serious question. I am a Christian. I am frequently offended by the way Doper atheists belittle and insult my beliefs, often using disparaging language.

It makes me uncomfortable, and it occurs regularly and without so much as a gentle do-not-be-a-jerk reminder from moderation.

Can you imagine speaking like this in any sort of mixed company? At a work function? A back-yard BBQ with Christians present?

Would the OP, and those who support her, stand with me if I chose to protest such behavior.

I ask in good faith and will seriously consider thoughtful replies.



mmm
I would suggest you bring this up in a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with misogyny, which is the subject of this thread.

Unless, of course, you're trying to divert the conversation.
If that, I would suggest that you cite specific examples of dehumanizing comments - not simply ones that hurt your feelings, but ones that deny your very personhood.
I would also suggest that you show how being mocked for what you choose to believe is the same as being mocked and diminished for something (gender) that is an accident of birth, that you have no choice over?

Last edited by galen ubal; 08-13-2019 at 07:33 AM.
  #267  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,465
So are you suggesting that being a Christian is to be a member of a group that has been systematically oppressed by the society, limited in what jobs they can seek, given lower wages, prevented from exercising voting rights, granted a lower legal status, etc., and that demeaning language about Christians is part of the package of societal tools that keep Christians as a group in their second-class position? And that there is a lexicon of demeaning language that specifically targets Christians as being inferior humans or deserving of objectification?
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.

Last edited by Acsenray; 08-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
  #268  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I would suggest you bring this up in a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with misogyny, which is the subject of this thread.
yup
  #269  
Old 08-13-2019, 08:28 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
it occurs regularly and without so much as a gentle do-not-be-a-jerk reminder from moderation.
So, could you can cite where this happened recently, then? Where you reported it to the mods, or started an ATMB thread about it, I mean, the same way people upset by misogyny have done?

Because otherwise, your apathy isn't the responsibility of people complaining about misogyny.

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.
  #270  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:34 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I would suggest you bring this up in a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with misogyny, which is the subject of this thread.

Unless, of course, you're trying to divert the conversation.
If that, I would suggest that you cite specific examples of dehumanizing comments - not simply ones that hurt your feelings, but ones that deny your very personhood.
Yeah, mmm is drawing a very poor analogy between misogyny on the boards and the occasional disparaging remarks about Christianity that some of the board atheists occasionally make.

A couple of thoughts: first is, as a Christian myself, the occasional references by board atheists to the Great Sky Pixie or whatever are (a) very occasional, and (b) rarely even rise to the level of an annoyance. I don't seriously believe mmm actually feels harassed by such references.

Second, these references are largely confined to threads having something to do with religion (and hardly dominate those threads). Misogyny crops up literally across the board. It knows no bounds here.
  #271  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Can you imagine speaking like this in any sort of mixed company? At a work function? A back-yard BBQ with Christians present?
Yes. What is "mixed company"? I'm very vocal about my beliefs when the topic comes up.
  #272  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 15,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Yeah, mmm is drawing a very poor analogy between misogyny on the boards and the occasional disparaging remarks about Christianity that some of the board atheists occasionally make.
We may disagree over the "occasionally" (I would call it constant but I treat it as a sort of inside joke/running theme here) but ------

is offensive speech only offensive when it is directed at what we could call a recognized protected class such as women? Is it making people uncomfortable that should be the standard or just making certain people uncomfortable? And once we get into that protected class, whose comfort level is the line in the sand? Say someone such as Soapy/ITD or Manda Joe?

I don't know -- which is why I ask.

I think the Mods, as a rule, do a good job; invisible line and all. But since we're talking making that line visible and clear I am curious about how far it could stretch.
  #273  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
We may disagree over the "occasionally" (I would call it constant but I treat it as a sort of inside joke/running theme here) but ------

is offensive speech only offensive when it is directed at what we could call a recognized protected class such as women? Is it making people uncomfortable that should be the standard or just making certain people uncomfortable? And once we get into that protected class, whose comfort level is the line in the sand? Say someone such as Soapy/ITD or Manda Joe?

I don't know -- which is why I ask.

I think the Mods, as a rule, do a good job; invisible line and all. But since we're talking making that line visible and clear I am curious about how far it could stretch.
You know, whenever there's an ATMB thread about race, often someone brings up "What about disparaging speech about Republicans?". Do you want to be that guy in the misogyny thread?
  #274  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I would suggest you bring this up in a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with misogyny, which is the subject of this thread.

Unless, of course, you're trying to divert the conversation.
If that, I would suggest that you cite specific examples of dehumanizing comments - not simply ones that hurt your feelings, but ones that deny your very personhood.
I would also suggest that you show how being mocked for what you choose to believe is the same as being mocked and diminished for something (gender) that is an accident of birth, that you have no choice over?
I don't think I've ever seen so much question begging in a single post on this board.

1) Yes, it is a thread about "misogyny" but it is perfectly acceptable to point out how the rules regarding posts about pretty women are completely inconsistent with the rules about every other topic out there, including people insulting religious beliefs.

2) Then an accusation of trolling.

3) Then you frame the debate your way by limiting it to "dehumanizing" comments which "deny your very personhood" by someone assuming that if a person makes a crude remark about a woman's body somewhere in the real world, then it is denies that posters on this board are human. Wow! That's impressive.

4) You then insult religious views by diminishing them as a mere choice, like whether to have chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

Excellent work in a short post.

However, his point remains. If we are going to "raise the tone" of the board as another poster suggested, it should be done across the board. We shouldn't just pick our favorite liberal cause and only apply it to that.
  #275  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,197
have you considered starting a thread about how religion is handled on this board?
  #276  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
However, his point remains. If we are going to "raise the tone" of the board as another poster suggested, it should be done across the board. We shouldn't just pick our favorite liberal cause and only apply it to that.
No we should make rules that make the place better, not slavishly strive for some foolish consistency.
  #277  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
have you considered starting a thread about how religion is handled on this board?
If you would have read my post just above the one you quoted, I am not interested in how religion is handled on this board. I am interested in consistent rules across all topics. I think that kopek's post is an excellent one and its a shame that people do not want to answer it.

I would dispute one of his contentions as applied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek
is offensive speech only offensive when it is directed at what we could call a recognized protected class such as women?
If a poster says that he saw a single woman, dressed in short shorts, ass cheeks hanging out, and with long beautiful legs, the poster is not directing his comments at women. He is commenting about a single woman that he saw, not all women as a group.

If I saw a black guy rob a convenience store, I am in no way, at least on this side of the looking glass, making a comment about all blacks or that blacks in particular rob stores.

So, the proper "group" that the poster would be insulting is women who wear revealing clothing, which could be a perfect topic for debate (e.g. nothing wrong with that, just because she wants to dress comfortably doesn't mean she is your personal sex object, etc.). It is certainly not all women.
  #278  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,197
I prefer sticking to the actual topic of the thread, because if the conversation runs too far afield it gives an open to those who want to change the subject.
  #279  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:47 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I prefer sticking to the actual topic of the thread, because if the conversation runs too far afield it gives an open to those who want to change the subject.
It is directly on point. When it is observed that you are treating a single topic differently than every other topic on the board, it is certainly relevant. Nobody is trying to change the subject.
  #280  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,197
Back to misogyny and this board-A lot of women that (in my opinion) would make great moderators have already left us, and I am afraid that unless the pace picks up drastically on the anti-misogyny front here it might be too late to turn things around.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-13-2019 at 12:59 PM.
  #281  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
If a poster says that he saw a single woman, dressed in short shorts, ass cheeks hanging out, and with long beautiful legs, the poster is not directing his comments at women. He is commenting about a single woman that he saw, not all women as a group.

If I saw a black guy rob a convenience store, I am in no way, at least on this side of the looking glass, making a comment about all blacks or that blacks in particular rob stores.
Yes you are. You are saying that all women are sex toys, and all blacks are criminals. Repeat ad infinitum.

Regards,
Shodan
  #282  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:03 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Yes you are. You are saying that all women are sex toys, and all blacks are criminals. Repeat ad infinitum.

Regards,
Shodan
Ha! What an excellent parody of the Fox News brand of fantasy "liberal" -- the liberals that attack Sean Hannity in his dreams, but barely exist in the land of the real.
  #283  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 15,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You know, whenever there's an ATMB thread about race, often someone brings up "What about disparaging speech about Republicans?". Do you want to be that guy in the misogyny thread?
That's a thread I don't want to be in at all; or the race threads for that matter since my own racial situation is a little ---- confusing/confused. But you can bet your house that I want to read both and that I hope, within the current framework at least, that some of them happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
have you considered starting a thread about how religion is handled on this board?
Even though it wasn't directed at me; we've had them. Like we've had threads like this. And we probably always will.

And at least to me that ain't a bad thing at all.
  #284  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Don't you see that hijacking misogyny threads with other things is part of the problem? "Hey ladies, maybe if we are going to address misogyny unless we address every other possible bias at the same time, it's only fair!"
  #285  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:04 PM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
We may disagree over the "occasionally" (I would call it constant but I treat it as a sort of inside joke/running theme here) but ------

is offensive speech only offensive when it is directed at what we could call a recognized protected class such as women?
I'd put it this way:

If posters that I think highly of wander off and no longer post here, I think we lose something when that happens. A certain amount of that is inevitable, of course, because life happens. And as long as it's all due to incidental and varying reasons, it's not something to worry about, and there's nothing to be done anyway.

But if we're losing a fair number of good posters who all belong to a particular class, and we're losing them largely for the same reasons, we might should do something about that - not just for them, but for ourselves as well.

We know what we need to do to fix this problem, so we should just do it.

And as far as equity is concerned, are we chasing away Christian posters the way we're driving away women posters? The very fact that there's a problem with one group but not the other suggests that something inequitable is going on already, and that's what we need to fix.
  #286  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Triskadecamus is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: I'm coming back, now.
Posts: 7,601
I left the board for reasons having nothing to do with its content, or management.

I came back, and have already noticed that although I still find it of interest, I no longer enthusiastically recommend it to others. The great debates aren't all that great. The general questions are seeking validation or agreement more than information or facts. There seems to be some confusion that permitting the expression of ideas implies approval of the content of those ideas.

To my thinking, a post describing, or attributing physical sex attributes of even non specific other persons is marginal at best, could not possibly rise above the level of IMHO, and most probably belongs in the Pit. A desire to "hit that" is information only about the poster, and is denigrating enough to qualify as a personal attack, by the poster against himself. Pseudo intellectual sadomasochistic masturbation is probably not even acceptable for the Pit. The entirely unsupported assertion that "they do it too!" is beneath refutation.

I think a one line, one time warning a kind response from moderators. But again, I take a professional behavioral view of such behavior. No is more likely to repeat actions that evoke no response at all. Aside from the one line warning, leaving the OP's name associated with a thread that drops into oblivion without another response serves my needs precisely. If similar behavior by the poster becomes evident, their name as original poster is sufficient for me. Signal to noise quality on the Internet is low enough to require stringent standards.

Tris
_______________________
No, it's because I heard you that I am not listening.

Last edited by Triskadecamus; 08-13-2019 at 04:36 PM.
  #287  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Don't you see that hijacking misogyny threads with other things is part of the problem? "Hey ladies, maybe if we are going to address misogyny unless we address every other possible bias at the same time, it's only fair!"
A consistent set of rules means we can address all kinds of bias at the same time. I recognize that consistency is not what you value, but I think that's a mistake.

"Don't be a jerk" is one thing, and it's consistent and addresses all kinds of problems at once. "Don't be a jerk, except..." is something else.

Regards,
Shodan
  #288  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,813
Nope, it's a distraction. You are letting perfect be the enemy of the good and I have a hard time believing it's being done for cynical purposes.
  #289  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,749
Carnal, I think you missed a “not” somewhere. But arguments about consistency of moderation standards are not a hijack.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
IANAM (I am not a mod,) but I thought the general rules of the Straight Dope are that people are allowed to say unsavory things, or advocate for unsavory viewpoints, as long as they do so in a way that is not flagrantly abusive or profane.

It's like the discussion from a few months ago about whether we should permit talk about race that was offensive - should such content be banned because it is expressed offensively, or because its very nature is offensive?

Precisely. Again, this is not a barbecue or a dinner party. The people are far too different from each other (which is a good thing) and there is no food or music or anything to enjoy. Are there really any successful forums that have people hanging around chatting about pleasantries like at a party, but without refreshments or entertainment?


Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I would also suggest that you show how being mocked for what you choose to believe is the same as being mocked and diminished for something (gender) that is an accident of birth, that you have no choice over?

I agree 100% with this. That is exactly why I should be able to mock or throw shade on Muslims for being Muslim, but it should not ok to do the same about straight white men. I realize this is not what you intended, but it is the clear logical result of using the standard of choice vs. the way you were born.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
But hey, kudos on the gratuitous trans dig you slipped into your post.



Exhibit A for why those of us who lament political correctness see the woke crowd as imagining offenses where none exist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
I don’t think it is possible at all to moderate this board to the point where no surviving posts are offensive to anyone. Or at least not without this board losing much of what makes it have value.

Cosigned. I don’t think some of the people advocating for certain strict standards of moderation really comprehend how boring the board would become if they had their way. It would be boring even for them, with no antagonists to joust with.
  #290  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
A consistent set of rules means we can address all kinds of bias at the same time. I recognize that consistency is not what you value, but I think that's a mistake.
But all kinds of bias are not the same thing.

I'm currently in a discussion with a poster who's biased againsts wasps. (The insects, not the acronymical humans.) I don't think a moderator needs to step in and address that particular bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
"Don't be a jerk" is one thing, and it's consistent
Really?

Haven't we been arguing, for multiple pages and through multiple threads, about what particular behavior consistitues "being a jerk" to the point of being modded?

There certainly isn't a consistent definition of being a jerk. That doesn't mean the mods can't use it as a criteria.
  #291  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
That is exactly why I should be able to mock or throw shade on Muslims for being Muslim, but it should not ok to do the same about straight white men.

Díoh, that should read ďshould not BE okĒ.
  #292  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Serious question. I am a Christian. I am frequently offended by the way Doper atheists belittle and insult my beliefs, often using disparaging language. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I would suggest you bring this up in a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with misogyny, which is the subject of this thread.

Unless, of course, you're trying to divert the conversation.
If that, I would suggest that you cite specific examples of dehumanizing comments - not simply ones that hurt your feelings, but ones that deny your very personhood.
I would also suggest that you show how being mocked for what you choose to believe is the same as being mocked and diminished for something (gender) that is an accident of birth, that you have no choice over?
Yes, MMM appears to be equating

Quote:
________ believe stupid things
with

Quote:
________ are objects for me to use as I please.
The insult to the class of persons in the first blank is not the same as the insult to the class of persons in the second.
  #293  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,026

Moderating


For real? How does every thread about misogyny turn into something not about misogyny? It's not about straight white men. It's not about religion. It's not about a bunch of other shit except crappy treatment of women. JFC. Stay on topic, or don't post in this thread.

[/moderating]
  #294  
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
For real? How does every thread about misogyny turn into something not about misogyny?
Itís simple whataboutism.

And honestly, from an objective standpoint, I think misogyny should trump any other kind of bias/toxicity anyone can think of, simply because of the fact that this is a population of people slightly in the majority that is discriminated against. Based on that alone, it deserves to be addressed before you worry about any other kind of bias.
  #295  
Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Ulfreida is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pangolandia
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
Occasionally Iím overwhelmed by all the change I see in the world. Lots of things shifting, lots to keep up with. It can be a lot.

But not here. Men continue to say disgusting things, women continue to object, other men rush in to explain how the women are wrong, women continue to leave, mods continue to flail around trying to figure out why.

Manda Joe, you are tenacious and I respect that. However, the amount of emotional labour women are expected to do to get men to behave in a non-repulsive way is disheartening.

I seldom come here anymore, which I realize many donít regard as a loss. However, traditionally I have bought a membership, bought merch, supported other members with actual cash money. But this means nothing in the context of this place. My contribution and discomfort is of less concern than the idea of actually speaking about women in a way that is remotely respectful and not dehumanizing. Thatís too much to manage.

In fact, up thread the suggestion is that women should find other boards that are friendlier to women, rather than suggesting that male (some) posters could try to be less piggish.

Ok, good, Iíll do that. Along with at least a dozen other women posters that donít come here anymore because itís gross. Oh well, as long as the boys can talk about Ďhitting that, with the ass hanging outí all is well in SDMB land.

Stay classy folks.
This. I think I too am done. Life's too short to voluntarily read this crap. I have nothing to add.
  #296  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,475
Really. Even in a thread you figure would be innocuous and maybe even a little fun it's like flies on shit as soon as one of the well known usual suspects comes in and starts whirling and shitting you know all the fun is sucked out and ony the shit will remain. This is fun? This is entertaining? This is a place I want to spend time? Not so much.

Manda JO, you're a trouper with a cast iron constitution to have managed to get this far--not only could I not have done so, I wouldn't have. Why bother? You shovel your way through the rooms full of shit and there's never a fuckin' pony. You can't even say "Goddammit, I want my fuckin' pony" without fifteen assholes blaring about how nobody promised you a pony and there are no ponies here's proof and what about TEH MENZ who NEVER EVER GET PONEEZ, HUH???? HUH???? Ugh. Fuckit.
  #297  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,749
Kudos for correctly spelling “trouper”.
  #298  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Jimmy Chitwood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Near Philadelphia
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Kudos for correctly spelling ďtrouperĒ.
Fuck you, dude. You are the problem. You're 1% as smart as you think you are, and zero percent as interesting. She doesn't need your kudos. Nobody needs anything you have to contribute to this discussion.

Warning for personal insults outside the pit, I know. Sorry, Bone. I'm out too.
  #299  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,581
Moderator Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
How does every thread about misogyny turn into something not about misogyny?
Mostly because there are certain individuals here who do not want to admit that we have a problem, or don't want (or are unable) to change.

While this thread has been derailed, let me make one thing perfectly clear. We are absolutely committed to reducing the misogyny on this board. Our path on this regard is not up for debate. Everyone needs to get with the program. Period.

This is closed.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017