Old 08-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
The film of The Princess Bride was a wonderful romp - full of quotable lines.

The book was just boring.
What quotable lines were in the movie that weren't in the book?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 AM

Any song written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Walk Like an Egyptian: Bangles over obscure 50s novelty group
It was written back in the '80s, and first recorded in 1985.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:30 AM

I thought the film version of Coma (1978) was a classic and much better than the dated novel. The Dogs of War (1980) is also more entertaining than the novel, but the book is still a classic in its own way.

Last edited by LC Strawhouse; 08-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It was written back in the '80s, and first recorded in 1985.
OK, sorry about that. Does the earlier recorded version at least sound like the 50s?
Old 08-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Looks like the version by the Bangles was the first one released (although it was first recorded by Lene Lovich.) Perhaps you were thinking of Istanbul (Not Constantinople) which was a novelty song from the 50s.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 PM

The book The Bridges of Madison County was an abomination. It was made into quite a good movie with Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.

The book Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier was okay, but the Hitchcock film tightened up the plot timeline, got rid of some extraneous characters (and one too many dogs), trimmed out some unnecessary detours, and just streamlined the whole thing into a very good movie. It won the Best Picture Oscar for 1941, beating out The Philadelphia Story, The Grapes of Wrath, and seven other nominees.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Looks like the version by the Bangles was the first one released (although it was first recorded by Lene Lovich.) Perhaps you were thinking of Istanbul (Not Constantinople) which was a novelty song from the 50s.
You know what? I think you're right.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM

I found Soylent Green better than Make Room! Make Room!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Anyone who has tried to read the book Forest Gump will wonder how anyone could make a movie from it. Ditto Kiss of the Spiderwoman. I tried to read an English translation, and I can't image getting through the original in Portuguese. Yet both the movie and the musical were excellent.

The movie version of One Flew Over The cuckoo's Nest gets kudos for not revealing the Chief's secret till the second half. Jaw dropping moment for McMurphy, and anyone who hasn't read the book.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but I think the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit is arguably better than the 1969 Henry Hathaway film.

But they're both very good westerns.
No argument from me - the remake is superior in every way, especially the acting.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 AM

I agree about True Grit. The new version was better.
As for songs, I like Disturbed's version of The Sounds of Silence better than Simon and Garfunkel's.
Also like the Bangles' Hazy Shade of Winter better than the S&G version.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM

My father could spend hours arguing with himself about which one was better: Ball of Fire or A Song Is Born.

The original had the pluses of Barbara Stanwyck, Barbara Stanwyck and Barbara Stanwyck, plus that guy Cooper doesn't do a bad job either (but is not as pleasing to look at as Ms. Stanwyck). The remake had the pluses of having reused a lot of the same cast (but not Ms. Stanwyck), of musical numbers (it's a good thing nobody informed my Dad that liking musicals made him gay, as he would have been terribly surprised) and of being in color so you get to enjoy Virginia Mayo in full Technicolor.

Often he'd just watch them back to back. Dude was just such a movie nerd...
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Blade Runner (esp. the director's cut) was deeper, creepier and generally more awesome than the story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" on which it was based.

Similarly, the movie version of "The Martian" was tighter and even more fun than the (very good) book on which it was based.

Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies were extremely well done, and great adaptations of the plots and characters of the books.

The books have another element, let's call it "poetic" that's not as well covered by the movies. That is, actual poetry, singing, much use of the Elven languages, more on the history, etc. And Tom Bombadil. For the poetic stuff, you had best go to the books. I think some people find the poetic aspects so vital to them that they don't like the movies so much. I just say I like both for different reasons.

Last edited by Limmin; 08-26-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Any song written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan.
Most notable example: "All along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix. Even Bob says so.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Pit me if you must, but the film Battlefield Earth was an improvement on the book of the same name. I'm not saying it was good, mind you, just gooder.
The book at least contained a helping of honest satire, and a good romping adventure if you were willing to switch of your mind while reading it. Completely. And never think too deeply about it.

The movie <hurk>.// the movie was jus... <bluuurgh>
The mo. vie. waaaaas...

"Cleanup in aisle 4, and someone call the paramedics. Looks like he's having an epiliptic fit!"
Old 08-27-2019, 05:55 PM

Rod Sterling"s screenplay of Planet of the apes IS Better then the book./

Last edited by bionic_man; 08-27-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

"Chandelier" by Postmodern Jukebox ft. Puddles Pity Party is better than Sia's original.

I'm a little surprised at the "Hazy Shade" opinions, but I admit the Bangles' version is very good.

Music is kinda low-hanging fruit, though.

I have a soft spot for the original 1980s DuckTales, but the new series may just be better.

I can think of a number of movies (mostly Disney Animated Classics) that are almost certain to be better than their source material, though I haven't personally read the originals. Same with Airplane! and Zero Hour!, but I doubt I could find anyone who thinks the original is the better version.

Powers &8^]
Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

The 1975 reboot of the X-Men was better than the original 1963 series.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
IMHO, The Hunt for Red October. John McTiernan and the screenwriters did a great job tightening up Clancy's tediousness.
Agreed, and I'd add the movie version of Patriot Games to that, too.

Quote:
I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but I think the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit is arguably better than the 1969 Henry Hathaway film.

But they're both very good westerns.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy is much better than Ralph Bakshi's carton version (and the Rankin-Bass Return of the King)....
Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
...I'd argue that Brendan Fraser's The Mummy is the superior version.
Likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
...The book Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier was okay, but the Hitchcock film tightened up the plot timeline, got rid of some extraneous characters (and one too many dogs), trimmed out some unnecessary detours, and just streamlined the whole thing into a very good movie....
Now there, I'll have to disagree with you. The book is a masterpiece, and the movie, while good, just isn't in the same league IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
Blade Runner (esp. the director's cut) was deeper, creepier and generally more awesome than the story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" on which it was based.

Similarly, the movie version of "The Martian" was tighter and even more fun than the (very good) book on which it was based....
Also agreed.

I will add:

The American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is better than both the book and the first Swedish film adaptation.

The movie Cold Mountain is quite a bit better than the book.

Manhunter isn't as good as its remake, Red Dragon, which was generally truer to the book.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:47 PM

The 1999 remake of House on Haunted Hill is miles better than the 1959 William Castle original, which IMO is trash. Now, I know that most people would probably argue that neither film is objectively "good," but I saw the former version as a kid with my parents and to date it was one of the best "experiences" I've ever had watching a movie, so I will always love that version.

The direct-to-video sequel Return to House on Haunted Hill is terrible, however.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:24 PM

wow i must be the only one that thought for early 80s sci fi the book was pretty good and didnt think the movie was too horrible and wish they'd make a part 2 to finish it (Travolta was horribly miscast tho Keith David should of had the role )
Old 08-28-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
IMHO, The Hunt for Red October. John McTiernan and the screenwriters did a great job tightening up Clancy's tediousness.
I feel the same way about Patriot Games.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 PM

Devo's cover of Satisfaction.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:24 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle squeegee View Post
See post 70.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Devo's cover of Satisfaction.
OK? You are probably in the minority on this one.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I think you are right, The Coen's version is far superior and mainly due to the attention to dialogue, which shouldn't surprise us......oh, and Roger Deakins.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:42 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Battlestar Galactica
So say we all!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Totally agree. The book sucked. Clancy took an analyst with guts and little training from the first book and turned him into an action hero in the second. The scene when Ryan is giving Prince Charles advice on courage is just eye-rollingly bad.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
My father could spend hours arguing with himself about which one was better: Ball of Fire or A Song Is Born.

The original had the pluses of Barbara Stanwyck, Barbara Stanwyck and Barbara Stanwyck, plus that guy Cooper doesn't do a bad job either (but is not as pleasing to look at as Ms. Stanwyck). The remake had the pluses of having reused a lot of the same cast (but not Ms. Stanwyck), of musical numbers (it's a good thing nobody informed my Dad that liking musicals made him gay, as he would have been terribly surprised) and of being in color so you get to enjoy Virginia Mayo in full Technicolor.

Often he'd just watch them back to back. Dude was just such a movie nerd...
Ball of Fire for the win! I adore Barbara Stanwyck (she also looked a LOT like mom at that age). She made the movie. I'm not a huge Gary Cooper fan, but I agree...he wasn't bad here.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

The Ten Commandments. The first part of the silent film is excellent, the second half is blah. The remake is a perfect film from beginning to end.

Ben Hur. This is a tough one, this silent film is excellent but the color talking version is just mind blowing.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I think the Harve Bennett/Nicholas Meyer reimagining of Star Trek for STII-TWOK drastically improved the direction of the overall film-franchise/series, even if certain follow-on movies and TV shows couldn't live up to it.

I also think Deep Space 9 was far superior to TNG and Voyager, due to the dark, twisty, sometimes morally compromised storylines.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Normally you can't go wrong with early-period Joni Mitchell, but her original version of Both Sides Now is surprisingly flat compared to the cover version by Judy Collins (or Anne Murray)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM

I'm probably get creamed for this, but I think the 2016 version of The Magnificent Seven" better than the original 1960 version.

(I haven't seen The Seven Samurai.)

Last edited by spifflog; 09-03-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Perhaps you were thinking of Istanbul (Not Constantinople) which was a novelty song from the 50s.
The 1990 version by They Might Be Giants is far, far better than the 1953 original*.

Victor/Victoria - I haven't read the book or seen the German original but I have seen the 1935 English language remake First A Girl. It's better than you might think, given the topic and the time, but the Julie Andrews version is much better.

I know others here disagree, but I thought the film The Razor's Edge was better than the book despite Bill Murray's dreadful star turn, in that the film cut out Maugham's tediously pretentious narrator.

*Fun fact: 1953 was the 500th anniversary of the fall of Constantinople.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Stanley Kubrick's Lolita was a live-action dirty joke, with a full-fledged teenager cast as Dolores, no acknowledgement of Humbert's backstory, and generally rushed through. Adrian Lyne's Lolita had a gawky tween accurately portraying Dolores, included a flashback explaining Humbert's arrested development, and was much better paced than SK's version.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I know others here disagree, but I thought the film The Razor's Edge was better than the book despite Bill Murray's dreadful star turn, in that the film cut out Maugham's tediously pretentious narrator.
I've seen the Tyrone Power version, but not the Bill Murray version. Anyone have an opinion as to which film is better?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:05 PM

The Creedence Clearwater Revival version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine is superior to Marvin Gayes' version (which may be superior to the Glady Knight and the Pips version -- I'm not very familiar with that one).

OTOH the Ike and Tina Turner version of Proud Mary is superior to the CCR version.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Stephen King published a book called Different Seasons that was a compilation of four novellas.

I've seen only 2 of the movies, but they both (The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me) were better than the novellas.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Stephen King published a book called Different Seasons that was a compilation of four novellas.

I've seen only 2 of the movies, but they both (The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me) were better than the novellas.
Apt Pupil was a bit uneven but the acting from the two leads was excellent. Call it a draw between the film and the book.

The Breathing Method hasn't had a film yet but apparently there's one due for nexts year. IMHO it was the weakest story of the four and I'm not sure how they're going to make a feature-length film out of it.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM

I shudder to say this, but I enjoy Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold the World more than David Bowie's (at least the MTV concert version). And I'm sorry, Kate Bush, but Pat Benatar did Wuthering Heights much better.It's just a touch out of your vocal range .
Old 09-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The 1940 film version of Gaslight is good, but the 1944 version with Ingrid Bergman is great. Both are based on a stage play Gas Light that I've never seen or read.

I could barely finish the English translation of Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. It was confusing and not very interesting. Maybe the original Russian is better, but I don't read Russian. The David Lean movie, however, is great.

The films Planet of the Apes (already mentioned) and Bridge on the River Kwai are improvements over the novels by Pierre Boule. I've read both novels both in translation and part of Bridge in the original French. They're not bad but the movies are better.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Nobody has put on a good stage show of Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm beginning to think that's not even possible.

But Norman Jewison's movie is amazing.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

The TV-movie made from Mark Twain's Puddin'head Wilson was, I think , better than the novel. And I'm a big fan of Twain.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087954/
Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Frank Darabont's version of, "The Blob," is light-years more fun than the Jello-poured-across-a-picture-of-a-diner version.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I shudder to say this, but I enjoy Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold the World more than David Bowie's (at least the MTV concert version).
I would agree. In a similar vein, Wild Is The Wind was written for Johnny Mathis who had a huge hit with it, and then recorded (twice) by Nina Simone, but it's Bowie's version (inspired by Simone's) that absolutely tops them all.

In a "cover by the same band" example, I much prefer the acoustic version of Creep to Radiohead's original.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Ten Commandments.
Best version of all.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Agree with Coens’ True Grit.

Joe Cocker’s version of With a Little Help From My Friends > The Beatles’ original.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I'm probably get creamed for this, but I think the 2016 version of The Magnificent Seven" better than the original 1960 version.

(I haven't seen The Seven Samurai.)
Consider yourself creamed.

Heretic.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
I think the Harve Bennett/Nicholas Meyer reimagining of Star Trek for STII-TWOK drastically improved the direction of the overall film-franchise/series, even if certain follow-on movies and TV shows couldn't live up to it.
Yes. My mind was blown, upon seeing ST2 - TWOK back when it came out (1982?). I even bought the vinyl record album of the soundtrack. I had long been a fan of ST-TOS and had seen "The Motion Picture." But ST2 was something else entirely.

Later on, I read something that rung true: ST2, with its heavy emphasis on emotion, style, color, battles etc. was Star Trek as space opera* rather than science fiction. The TV versions continued being more like SF but the movies were henceforth more operatic.

*Space Opera...you know, like Star Wars in style (big, over the top events, heroic story lines, Wagnerian orchestral music...)

Last edited by Limmin; 09-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.