Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM

I thought I recalled that mosrites were made with particleboard bodies. Or perhaps those were Danelectros
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Or perhaps those were Danelectros
Yes.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Nope.

Danelectros are (generally) poplar frames covered with masonite. Masonite has similarities with particle board, but the particles are much more small, and the medium is much more dense. Either way, to describe them as particle board is Fox News levels of misleading.

Mosrites, in the words of Johnny Ramone: "Mosrites are not made out of wood. They are made of very good cardboard."

Either one puts a lie to the idea of "tone wood", but that's a much more involved discussion.

Last edited by scabpicker; 03-08-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Nope.

Danelectros are (generally) poplar frames covered with masonite. Masonite has similarities with particle board, but the particles are much more small, and the medium is much more dense. Either way, to describe them as particle board is Fox News levels of misleading.

Mosrites, in the words of Johnny Ramone: "Mosrites are not made out of wood. They are made of very good cardboard."

Either one puts a lie to the idea of "tone wood", but that's a much more involved discussion.
Better answer. Thanks. As for tone woods, any material that dampens the right, bad frequencies and feeds the good ones into the amp is okay by me.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:46 AM

Ah, so my first instinct was right. I didn't think the mosrite looked like a quality instrument. I was very surprised at the prices for vintage ones. I understand now why the vintage survivors are rare and valuable.

It's like Silvertone. People that learned to play on a guitar from Sears have very strong affection for them. All the memories of childhood and playing their first gigs. That's cool if you have that association with the instrument.

I will always love Yamaha acoustics because that's what I learned to play in high school. I've bought a couple vintage ones from eBay. Models I couldn't have afforded in 1977. It frustrates me that I can't remember the exact model I had. I only remember it was advertised as a jumbo body and had a pickup. There's several jumbos that were made in the mid seventies.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-10-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Norman Guitars demos a Mosrite. This one is older, has a vibramute tailpiece, and more valuable than the one featured on American Restoration. It had a mosley tailpiece.
https://youtu.be/-ZT2Wnf7BHM

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-10-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Anyone bidding?

Some incredible music was made on this guitar.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/stev...der-the-hammer
Quote:
A 1951 Fender Nocaster is a very rare thing indeed, but a Stevie Ray Vaughan-owned Nocaster is something else, and this particular guitar - affectionately known as ‘Jimbo’ - is going under the hammer next month at Dallas’s Heritage Auctions.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Anyone bidding?

Some incredible music was made on this guitar.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/stev...der-the-hammer
Oh shit, Jimmie Vaughn doesn't have control of Jimbo?! I didn't realize that but yeah, read about it in various SRV books I've read.

A Broadcaster would be a $50-$75K guitar on a good day and more on other days. One owned by Stevie and Jimi would go for a lot more than $200K, I hope. Man, if that was a Strat, I wouldn't want to guess, simply because of SRV's identification with Strats. I would *much* rather have the Broadcaster.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Wonder if Jimmie will bid and get Jimbo back?

Seems like that guitar should return to his family.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 AM

Finished setting up my Frankenstrat knock-off tonight, including some Cobalt strings to see how that changes the tone and I can definitely hear a difference between it and my Strat. The Strat, with .010 Nickel-wound strings has a distinctly warmer tone, which is making me very happy. So now I have two electric guitars that can produce very distinctive sounds from each other!

Maybe someday I'll get an SG as well to create another tone option...
Old 03-15-2018, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Very cool. Keep experimenting.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Very cool. Keep experimenting.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Flatpicking Right-hand Technique - great camera work.

Molly Tuttle is the first woman to win the National Bluegrass Guitarist of the Year. Check out this video where they clamped a camera to film her picking hand. What a treat. And they slow down some bits - not that it helps the impossibility of her precise speed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4

Last edited by WordMan; 03-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Molly Tuttle is the first woman to win the National Bluegrass Guitarist of the Year. Check out this video where they clamped a camera to film her picking hand. What a treat. And they slow down some bits - not that it helps the impossibility of her precise speed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4
Pretty amazing stuff. This is a actually a remix of a Molly vid I saw last year (I could swear it was linked here, but perhaps I saw it on Reverb or just YouTube random guitar vids). I just cannot comprehend flatpicking, it's just breathtaking to see this type of technique.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 PM

I think the tubes may be going out on my Blackstar Ht-20 combo amp that I bought used. No particular special reason, but to my ear, the saturation and sustain have seemed to fade. The sound is a trifle lifeless...but that may just be my ear getting used to it.

I replaced the standard speaker with a V-30 (12") awhile ago, and am happy with it.

I read online that there's ways to check your tubes...tapping on them with a pencil, checking for scorching, etc. I haven't taken the back off the amp to do any of that yet but I thought I'd consult with you guys first. I'm no guitar tech and replacing the speaker myself seemed daunting at first but turned out to be surprisingly easy. It uses two 12AX7 tubes and two EL-84 tubes.

I'm reluctant to replace these myself, but don't really have any money to pay someone to do it. Once I get my tax return, I was thinking about buying replacement tubes, but I know nothing about them. Heck, I don't even know which ones are power v preamp tubes. Help!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 PM

Tubes can get microphonic. Meaning they pick up mechanical vibration and makes sounds.

A Gentle tap with a pencil will confirm the problem.

A microphonic tube makes the same thump, thump just like tapping a live mic with your finger. That's a very easy test anyone can do.

Tubes can get weak. But you'll often find aging capacitors or resistors are the real culprit. Bad components gradually alter the bias on the circuit as the components drift out of tolerance.

A technician will check the plate voltages and measure the bias current. It's not a DIY job. The voltages in a tube circuit can kill you.

I've always loved tube amps and serviced them for many years. These days it can be a PITA to find even the common parts. Requires mail order.

For paper capacitors always try to get the Sprague Orange Drops. They were getting hard to find. I've heard a new company is manufacturing them again. I'd still prefer the original new, old stock components.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-17-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 PM

It's hard to guess without testing the amp.

I can only suggest the preamp circuit, based on your brief description of the problem.

That's the place I'd check first.

They do sell replacement sets of tubes for the Blackstar HT-20.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...-Studio-20-Amp

There's no guarantee you'll fix your problem.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-17-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:46 PM

I don't know if you remember the tube testors ar Radio Shack. People would bring in the entire set of tubes to test. Once in awhile they fixed their busted radio or tv. But many times it was something else wrong.

The easiest fix is when the tubes don't light up. Most of the time a tube's filament had burned out. Radio Shacks testor would easily find that tube for you.

But, you said the Blackstar plays. So, it's not a bad tube filament.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-17-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM

If your really interested in learning basic amp servicing.

Uncle Dougs channel is the best. Good video that covers the 12xa7 preamp tube in the Blackstar and most other guitar amps.
https://youtu.be/x5SSKX74DKg

https://youtu.be/901iaPVVzY0
Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 PM

Cathode Bypass capacitors effect gain and tone. That's probably the Blackstar's problem. Based soley on the brief description of the problem. It's something I'd check.

A totally dead amp is easier to fix then a working amp that isn't performing like it used to.

https://youtu.be/HrkYUPmEUhk

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-17-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Yep, based on the description, I agree with aceplace57's diagnosis. I don't think it's a microphonic tube. Those usually sound pretty good until you hit the point where they oscillate and create feedback.

Last edited by scabpicker; 03-18-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Glad you guys are posting. I have an Amp Guy I found in the Bronx. Because I am not an amp guy
Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 PM

I looked for a service manual or schematic for the Blackstar Ht-20 combo amp.

No success.

Best bet is let a shop check it. Test the tubes and perhaps change the cap in the preamp circuit.

It's not a DIY job unless you have experience soldering on a delicate circuit board.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Also ask the shop to check the bias on the output tubes. It sometimes needs tweaking as components age.

I always preferred working on vintage amps. I've thought about looking for some that I can restore and sell. Garage sales used to be a great source for amps that spent forty years in the back of a closet.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Another OGK (Online Guitar Kerfuffle) involving John Mayer: a PRS Stratocaster....kinda

Clutch your pearls, guitar nerds. There's a kerfuffle. Trump? School Shootings? Bombers? Russia and Facebook? No, these are not important compared to what is happening in GuitarLand: John Mayer has collaborated with PRS guitars (and Paul Reed Smith himself on this, for 2 frickin' years, apparently). And he has created the Silver Sky model, which is his/PRS's new interpretation of the Stratocaster.

Mayer wanted things done to the Strat "Template" to make it more useful to him. Cool. Some of the stuff he wanted - more useful tone controls, and deeper cutaway, etc. - make sense given his playing. Cool.

But to make the model work, it had to update the Fender Stratocaster design to: a) incorporate the changes to the body he wanted; and b) to have a headstock that wouldn't lead to a lawsuit from Fender AND was unique vs. other Strat-type guitars from other makers.

So they grafted a variant of the PRS 3-on-a-side headstock onto the Stratocaster. The Strat, long held up as the best guitar design ever, enshrined in MOMA's Design Collection and general held up as the Platonic Ideal of an electric guitar. Famous for its side-profile-of-a-violin-scroll, 6-in-line headstock. THE most iconic shape in headstock land, alongsides Gibson's Open Book/Mustache, and Martins Germanically-simple box shape.

You can guess how guitar nerds have reacted. You might as well tell them that the Stratocaster's webshooters are organic not invented, or that Michael Keaton would make an excellent Stratocaster:

53 Pages: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-5-18.1918229/

18 Pages: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-ever.1919964/

20 Pages: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...e-prs.1923355/ this one is interesting because it starts with a link to a 40-minute Instagram clip of John Mayer walking through the guitar. 40 minutes! He seems to be staying in his Humble mode and does a great job in an unscripted setting speaking about the decisions made regarding the design and all of the quibbles that have been surfacing. Mayer is a gearhead of the highest order when it comes to guitar, amps, watches and cameras, and he's smart and articulate and smooth, so he can walk through the most arcane minutiae about why the choices were made the way they were.

Posters on that thread are hilarious - they really respect Mayer when they hear him talk gear and play (he plays a lot during the video and sounds super-great).

So, enjoy the kerfuffle. In terms of the actual guitar, by the vids I have seen, it sounds great as a Strat-type guitar. I have no interest in Strats, so that doesn't tempt me, but it could to Strat folks.

The design, however, IMHO, is awful. You know the Uncanny Valley for human-like CGI, where if you truly try to replicate a human, the CGI's "off-ness" is that much more noticeable and disturbing? That is how this guitar looks to me vs. a real Strat. I really wish he/they had abandoned the Strat template a lot more.

Last edited by WordMan; 03-21-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Mayer should play a Strat if that's the neck his hands love the most.

I love PRS. My bucket list electric guitar is a McCarty 594. 5k and up.
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/...carty_594_2018

I'm not interested in a Strat copy.
https://youtu.be/Rfn5MploVUs

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-21-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not interested in a Strat copy.
https://youtu.be/Rfn5MploVUs
Watch him explain himself, then comment. He's an articulate gearhead guitar nerd, so you get a very clear sense of things.

Those McCartys get a lot of love amongst the PRS fans out there. I am not a PRS guy, but respect those who are.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

John Mayer is a rare commodity these days: a certifiably bankable pop guitar hero, and as such he gets whatever he wants from probably any guitar manufacturer he prefers, including a guitar destined to spark a certain amount of outrage.

If you take as a given that Fender wouldn't have minded making some relatively minor alterations to the Stratocaster on Meyer's behalf - and that assumption, given their history, seems entirely reasonable (remember the Clapton Strat, or the Kurt Cobain Whatever It Was Called?) - then one might be tempted to speculate that the real reason behind his migration to PRS would be to generate some free publicity.

Those probably aren't original thoughts, but seeing as the Stratocaster design dates to 1954 (was that A.D. or B.C.? I'm no longer sure), I'm finding it hard to generate the outrage necessary to wade into yet another righteous indignation thread on The Gripe Page.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Oh, sorry for the egregiously grouchy and cynical tone of the above post. Recent death of a close friend, don't you know - I guess we all have to go through it.

He gave me the guitar I first learned on.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Oh, sorry for the egregiously grouchy and cynical tone of the above post. Recent death of a close friend, don't you know - I guess we all have to go through it.

He gave me the guitar I first learned on.
Ah, sorry man. What kind of guitar did he give you? Acts like that matter in a musician’s life.

As for Mayer and publicity - in his video, he states that PRS is a place where he is talking with the founder and owner and that mattered to him. I buy that. I just wouldn’t buy the guitar but I hope it is successful.

Last edited by WordMan; 03-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Ah, sorry man. What kind of guitar did he give you? Acts like that matter in a musicianís life.
Yeah, and yet I only just remembered how I got it. It was a Yamaha dreadnought that his brother had abandoned, and my friend could only play a couple bars of the introduction to Roundabout on it. So when he showed me how to play that, I got it right, and then the guitar - bigger than I though it was - was mine.

In the 40-odd years since, I've come to realize that there are only two types of people: those for whom learning guitar is hard work, and those for whom it's fun (he was in the first group, while I was in the second). All other categories of humanity - ethnic, religious, Patriots fans, et al. - are merely subsets of these two types.

To this day, I've not seen a Yamaha guitar - whether cheap or expensive - that wasn't skillfully assembled.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I feel you. My first guitar was a Yamaha FG-75 I got for $68 at a pawn shop in Monterey California.

I have never found guitar easy, but I could see how the parts of the stuff I was learning could come together, so was worth the effort. It’s getting a bit easier now, going on 40 years or so.

Last edited by WordMan; 03-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

This has me salivating.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel you. My first guitar was a Yamaha FG-75 I got for $68 at a pawn shop in Monterey California.

I have never found guitar easy, but I could see how the parts of the stuff I was learning could come together, so was worth the effort. Itís getting a bit easier now, going on 40 years or so.
I learned back in the 60s on a Stella that was ordered from Sears. I thought that I could just pick up the guitar and start right up again after 40 years of, you know, not doing that. Amazing how much less flexible you are at 70 than you were at 20, and how much arthritis fucks with your joints. After 3-4 years of lessons, I'm finally feeling somewhat comfortable around the fret board, but it's still a struggle. In a moment of insanity, I requested that we give this cover a try. I can kinda sorta get it, but not at any tempo you'd recognize.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
This has me salivating.
That guitar?! But you live in Portland! Thatís not a Portland guitar!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That guitar?! But you live in Portland! Thatís not a Portland guitar!
Neither is my Taylor, my Fender, or my Brazilian acoustic, but I can live with the shame.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I learned back in the 60s on a Stella that was ordered from Sears. I thought that I could just pick up the guitar and start right up again after 40 years of, you know, not doing that. Amazing how much less flexible you are at 70 than you were at 20, and how much arthritis fucks with your joints. After 3-4 years of lessons, I'm finally feeling somewhat comfortable around the fret board, but it's still a struggle. In a moment of insanity, I requested that we give this cover a try. I can kinda sorta get it, but not at any tempo you'd recognize.
That's a nice tune for picking. I think I'll have to give it a try.

In that video, what are the white things on the guitar? There is a white patch on the body and there is the very noticeable white thing above the low E in the soundhole. Some sort of pickup?

BTW, I'm not quite 50, and I'm already having problems with my hands. I really feel it on the fretting hand.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I've not seen those white things. I'm curious, too.

My fingers and shoulder get twingy, but I keep playing I am kinda hoping my move to fingerstyle will help me maintain flexibility!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Clutch your pearls, guitar nerds. There's a kerfuffle. Trump? School Shootings? Bombers? Russia and Facebook? No, these are not important compared to what is happening in GuitarLand: John Mayer has collaborated with PRS guitars (and Paul Reed Smith himself on this, for 2 frickin' years, apparently). And he has created the Silver Sky model, which is his/PRS's new interpretation of the Stratocaster....<snip>
On the Gear Page, there is a quote from a PRS rep saying they have ~3,000 preorders, had made 375 guitars leading up to the announcement, and now have an 8-month backorder list.

In the meantime, Gibson owes its creditors over $500 million in the next few weeks. This is likely going to lead to something involving the ouster of the CEO, the much-reviled Henry J.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM

I keep hearing from other Musicians that Gibsons quality has gone down hill.

You buy a dream guitar for $2800 and it arrives with a totally crap set up? People don't forget disappointments like that. I know several friends that had to get complete setups on new Gibsons.

Gibson has dug a deep hole for themselves.

Paul Reed Smith has said his guitars play straight out of the box. They take pride in that.

Gibson can do the same thing. If they care and assign people to set them up before they ship.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-23-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
On the Gear Page, there is a quote from a PRS rep saying they have ~3,000 preorders, had made 375 guitars leading up to the announcement, and now have an 8-month backorder list.
Holy guacamole! I guess their gamble on building a high-end Strat copy is going to pay off. 3000 X $2000 = a cool $6 million in new product sales in the first year.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Another Guide Track = Jungle Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Holy guacamole! I guess their gamble on building a high-end Strat copy is going to pay off. 3000 X $2000 = a cool $6 million in new product sales in the first year.
So true. Itís weird: I read stories like that and try to factor in that to volumes - I think a million guitars are sold a year? Which wouldnít include used sales which would be many times more. It starts to sound possible to get those numbers.

Okay, I put this on Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h-RqVhcbwxQ

Steve Millerís Jungle Love*. Twice through as a guide track - the second timeís better because I used downstrokes . Same rig: Tweed amp, Blackstone overdrive pedal, homebrew Tele, huge neck and heavy gauge strings. Teleís Volume is about 7; Tone is about 4 - tell me that toneís not in Gibson territory. Itís articulate, but the highs are rolled off so you get humbuckery mids up front. Yay. Again, Jimmy Page used a Tele on Zep 1 as we all know - I just love that, and get a bit more Malcolm Young crispness with my pedal and heavy strings. Yay.

So - do you realize that more than anything, this is a Keith Richards riff? Jungle Love?! Seriously - itís in Open G - Iím actually playing in Cheaterís G, with the A detuned 1 step to G. I only play the middle four strings (except the intro lick), and keep both E strings muted the entire time if you notice. The capo puts it up to ďCheaterís AĒ I guess. Classic Keef setup. And Iím playing the various chord combos Keith uses on every Stones song - hammering on with my middle and ring fingers and moving that shape up to the fifth and seventh frets (relative to the capo). Honky Tonk Woman with a rock groove.

Just fun as hell to play - meat and potatoes pocket rock. Your drummer tightens the snare and kick and locks in. I have always thought it was a fine song - a 70ís staple, but nothing special. But man, playing it takes it to a new level of fun. Iíve seduced bandmates with it - they say Meh to my suggestion, but when I kick off I get smiles all around

*the riff was actually played by LA session ace Greg Douglass; canít recall why Miller used a hired gun. Douglass was up there with Larry Carlton and Jay Graydon as studio aces and Steely Dan go-tos. Tragically, he fell through a plate glass window and severed a tendon, rendering his picking hand paralyzed. He retaught himself to play with a thumbpick attached. If you can believe it, I was reading an article about his story in Guitar Player when I was in flippin high school in the 70ís - thatís where I learned this. It was in that article I read he did it in Open A. A decade later, when I was messing with Open G, I recalled that story (why??), capoed up and figured it out. I remember the article saying how important the tuning was to the guitarís great tone on that song. I agree .

Okay - geeky Sunday guitar post. Enjoy.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Okay, I put this on Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h-RqVhcbwxQ

Steve Millerís Jungle Love*.
I have always thought it was a fine song - a 70ís staple, but nothing special. But man, playing it takes it to a new level of fun.
Enjoy.
I've always thought it sounded fun as hell to play. I just got my capo out and tuned to open G, going to give it a tumble. Nice job working the harmonic notes like the original, sweet!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM

Wow, WordMan, you managed to make a Steve Miller song sound pretty good there - a feat even Steve Miller himself was never quite capable of. Lately, a cranked Tweed Deluxe sounds a bit harsh to my aging ears, but I guess a Blackstone and a Celestion Blue are the antidote to that.

And since I totally spaced on this post from a month ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
In other news my son literally found a Tele-style thinline neck, body and pickguard in the trash at a local thrift store his buddy's Dad owns. It appears they only wanted the electronics so it is going to be a Sterl-ocaster (Sterling is my son...)! Plan is to install a P-Rail and a SD humbucker TBD with a coil tap,a 4 way switch, and dead switch for maximum tonal flexibility.
swampspruce, this sounds like more fun than an octopus in an orphanage!

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 AM

Fender is getting into the acoustic market, again.

I remember the Fender Santa Rosa was a popular small body acoustic with a electric neck. Sold lare 80's and early 90's. Quite popular with electric players that occasionally played acoustic. I've tried to buy one twice and got outbid.
Santa Rosa
https://reverb.com/ca/item/3536914-f...ctric-acoustic

Fender just came out with the California series. Deja vu. Looks pretty much the same as before. Positioned for the cheaper market. IIRC the Santa Rosa was priced for the mid range market.
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acoust...es/california/

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-27-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:47 AM

Guitar World has a short article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gui...oustic-guitars

Sounds reasonable, for a small body.
https://youtu.be/dDCG03z9DPs
Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

EtFlagon and squeegee - thanks. Just a fun groove to play.

aceplace - Fender never seems to have gotten acoustics right. I can't think of a single player who uses one. Obviously they do okay, and I could see getting one for a beater guitar, but I would look at a Taylor GS-Mini, used Yamaha or other options before I would consider a Fender acoustic, unless I picked one up and it impressed me more than others have. (that's how I ended up buying a GS-Mini; I am not a Taylor guy, but was trying $500 beaters, played a bunch, picked up the Taylor and realized what a solid instrument it is).
Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Wordman you did an awesome job in that video. Do you sing and play?

I agree, Taylor is a better choice for small guitars. The main advantage Fender offers is the C style neck. Electric players find it easy playing Fender acoustics.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wordman you did an awesome job in that video. Do you sing and play?

I agree, Taylor is a better choice for small guitars. The main advantage Fender offers is the C style neck. Electric players find it easy playing Fender acoustics.
Thanks ace. Yes, I sing and play - my voice is better for "character songs" like the male part in Love Shack, or Blister in the Sun, but I do sing. In this case, I am just laying down guide tracks for my drummer to jam with when we can't get together. I am not looking to dazzle with my vocals or lead playing

There's a lot of slop in that video, but I couldn't be arsed to record more than 1 take. It's a flippin' guide track, y'know? The groove gives the drummer what he needs.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM

That's a great idea.