Old 11-06-2017, 05:11 PM

And John Lott is already out saying that what we need is more guns...not less:

"If more people were carrying guns, the attack might have been stopped even faster and more lives would have been saved."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...-with-gun.html

I bet with a few more guns in play they could've limited the dead to only 15! These hypotheticals are what I call solid gun control.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
So, the old chestnut about letting the current gun laws do their thing is bullshit?
hmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgn
Texas church gunman Devin Kelley tried to get a license to carry a gun in Texas, but the state denied him, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said, citing the director of Texas’ Department of Public Safety.

“So how was it that he was able to get a gun? By all the facts that we seem to know, he was not supposed to have access to a gun,” Abbott told CNN’s Chris Cuomo. “So how did this happen?”
Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
And John Lott is already out saying that what we need is more guns...not less:

"If more people were carrying guns, the attack might have been stopped even faster and more lives would have been saved."
But I thought guns don't save people, people save people.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Awesome:
Quote:
A man accidentally shot himself and his wife at an East Tennessee church on Thursday while he was showing off his gun during a discussion on recent church shootings, police said.

<snip>

"Somebody else walked up and said, 'Can I see it?' " Parks said. "He pulled it back out and said, 'With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it’s not loaded.' "

He pulled the trigger.

"Evidently he just forgot that he re-chambered the weapon," Parks said.

The gun was lying on its side on a table. The bullet sliced the palm of the man's upward-facing hand, then entered the left side of his wife's abdomen and exited the right side, Parks said.
No charges filed, of course.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM

I can't stop giggling at this sentence - "A man accidentally shot himself and his wife at an East Tennessee church on Thursday while he was showing off his gun during a discussion on recent church shootings"
Old 11-17-2017, 01:45 PM
BANNED

He broke the cardinal rule #1, "Treat the gun as it is loaded always."

What an idiot, makes us handgunners look bad.

You don't squeeze the friggin trigger to prove it's not loaded.

Oh by the way, he broke the cardinal rule #2, #3 and #4 too. A real stupid ass who should not have a gun.

Last edited by SigMan; 11-17-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Not only is he not being charged, he's not even going to lose his carry permit.

I understand that there are plenty of responsible gun owners in the United States, but this is precisely the kind of person that guns need to be taken away from. He's over 80 years old, and by his own admission he's carried a gun for years and takes it everywhere, and yet he STILL apparently doesn't know the difference between chambering a round and inserting a magazine. He also appears not to know what the "loaded chamber" indicator on his own gun means.

Last edited by mhendo; 11-17-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM
BANNED

Right, he carried the gun for years and learned nothing?

I'm a licensed carry and I made sure I know what I need to know about the guns, the laws and the gun safety. I practiced it so long that it's a habit.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
He also appears not to know what the "loaded chamber" indicator on his own gun means.
I wasn't aware these were a regular feature these days so I did some Googling. Based on a cursory scan of results, there appears to be some differences of opinion as to how useful they are in practice (as opposed to simply being there to keep dumbasses from suing gun manufacturers).

But yeah, anyone pulling the trigger on a gun not intending for it to go 'bang' is courting disaster.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Another report of stupid gun news and a tragedy - someone dies.

I grew up and learned to hunt not too far from where this woman died, but hunting deer after dark, with a pistol and then taking a 200 yard shot is stupid and NOT what I learned.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Oh, my, yes, jasg, as a casual target shooter who's never hunted, even I knew what a screwup in so many ways that jerk is. Jaw-droppingly stupid, and I hope the authorities charge him with all possible criminal offenses -- just hunting after sundown and failing to properly identify what he was shooting at have got to be crimes, let alone negligent homicide.

And who the hell goes deer hunting with a pistol?!?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:31 AM
BANNED

Some do hunt with a pistol but this is plain stupidity at its worst. The cardinal rules had been broken big time.

There has to be a way to keep the dumbbells away from guns.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Relaxed concealed-carry laws have gotten more people killed. Surprising, huh?

More-clinical data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post

I grew up and learned to hunt not too far from where this woman died, but hunting deer after dark, with a pistol and then taking a 200 yard shot is stupid and NOT what I learned.
Why was it so urgent to kill the deer anyway? Was it one of those mutant deer with six-inch fangs that break into homes and eat the children?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigMan View Post
Gun grabber!! Look, look at the gun grabber!! You can't take our FREEEEEEEEEDUMB!!
Old 11-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Oh, my, yes, jasg, as a casual target shooter who's never hunted, even I knew what a screwup in so many ways that jerk is. Jaw-droppingly stupid, and I hope the authorities charge him with all possible criminal offenses -- just hunting after sundown and failing to properly identify what he was shooting at have got to be crimes, let alone negligent homicide.

And who the hell goes deer hunting with a pistol?!?
This is a typical single shot pistol for hunting. Often chambered for rifle cartridges.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
This is a typical single shot pistol for hunting. Often chambered for rifle cartridges.
Ah, I see. Lots of recoil? I was thinking, .22 pistol for varmints, yeh, but big game?

Toldja I was just a casual target shooter.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
There is, and more or less every other Western country has implemented some flavor of it.

Problem is, it won't ever work in the US. Or, so I've been told. I'm not sure why; it may be American Exceptionalism, it may be the religious fundamentalist attitude towards the US constitution's 2nd Amendment, or it may be something else.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Ah, I see. Lots of recoil? I was thinking, .22 pistol for varmints, yeh, but big game?

Toldja I was just a casual target shooter.
Rifle calibers run from 17 HMR to 45 Colt/410 Bore(except California).
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good grief. I really need to get out more, eh?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 AM

If she only had carried a gun herself, it all would've ended well.

Oh, wait, I take that back. Now is not the time to talk about it.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Gun grabber!! Look, look at the gun grabber!! You can't take our FREEEEEEEEEDUMB!!
Right and if this keeps up we will no longer have freedom.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Why was it so urgent to kill the deer anyway? Was it one of those mutant deer with six-inch fangs that break into homes and eat the children?
They're called Musk Deer (although I don't know about the children-eating thing).
Old 11-25-2017, 10:31 AM
BANNED

I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I wonder exactly how much trouble he will end up getting into over this murder. Will he see jail time? Will it just be a fine? Will he be allowed to keep his guns?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I wonder exactly how much trouble he will end up getting into over this murder. Will he see jail time? Will it just be a fine? Will he be allowed to keep his guns?
If he gets anything less that several years in prison, there will be a lot of people trying this with persons they don't like. They should make an example of him - all his money for funeral expenses and whatever, also few years in prison and no permit to carry guns ever. And if he was drunk at the time, no booze for him.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Personally, I think he should lose his gun rights for life. Jail time, whatever is the maximum that state law allows for as many charges as possible. Too bad there isn't an enhancement for "deliberate negligence".
Old 11-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Oopsie-daisy! I thought it might be a deer, so I shot just to make sure if it was or not! Don't take mah gurns! Mah gurns!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
If he gets anything less that several years in prison, there will be a lot of people trying this with persons they don't like. They should make an example of him - all his money for funeral expenses and whatever, also few years in prison and no permit to carry guns ever. And if he was drunk at the time, no booze for him.
Quote:
Personally, I think he should lose his gun rights for life. Jail time, whatever is the maximum that state law allows for as many charges as possible. Too bad there isn't an enhancement for "deliberate negligence".
That's what I would hope, but I can see the gun crowd complaining that it isn't fair that he doesn't get to keep his guns. He just killed that *one* person, and he said he was sorry. How is he supposed to protect himself if he can't have a gun anymore?

Last edited by k9bfriender; 11-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's what I would hope, but I can see the gun crowd complaining that it isn't fair that he doesn't get to keep his guns. He just killed that *one* person, and he said he was sorry. How is he supposed to protect himself if he can't have a gun anymore?
He should move where the phantom deer aren't so dangerous.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
He should move where the phantom deer aren't so dangerous.
They don't have deer in prison, he should be fine there for a while. Tell him he can stay there until he feels safe enough to take a walk in the woods without a gun, I estimate it would take 5-10 years, maybe a bit more.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, you shit-fucked libtards. Your hatred of the 2nd Amendment is not only un-American, but contrary to Judaeo-Christian values.

Can't you please just wait until at least 24 hours after the latest gun tragedy to re-start your gun control debate?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:43 PM
BANNED

WTF is this? I'm talking about an idiot not gun control dumb ass.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Oh, you shit-fucked libtards. Your hatred of the 2nd Amendment is not only un-American, but contrary to Judaeo-Christian values.

Can't you please just wait until at least 24 hours after the latest gun tragedy to re-start your gun control debate?
Not hate for the 2nd. Hate for ignorance and stupidity - like the "know what you are shorting at" bit of wisdom.

(Besides, it is impossible to wait 24 hours after each tragedy - they happen sooner.)
Old 11-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You must wait at least 24 hours after the latest idiot tragedy before discussing idiot control. (I think Septimus was being sarcastic)

Point is, that there is no way to make sure that this person does not have legal access to a gun again that the gun advocates won't object to. They know that they have no actual rational argument for that, though, so they insist that we can't have the conversation at all.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You are talking about gun control. You want to keep guns away from the dumbbells. We can't have that here. The NRA and the legislators they own will never allow it.

If it wasn't clear, I am in favor of gun control. My earlier post was mocking the mentality that prevents the US from enacting even the most limited gun control measures.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:26 PM
BANNED

Well, I know all that. It's after the fact that we keep the idiot away from the gun.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
(I think Septimus was being sarcastic)
Thanks, Canine B. I'd forgotten how easily whooshable gun fiends are.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I know all that. It's after the fact that we keep the idiot away from the gun.
Well, that sounds like an effective strategy.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:24 PM
BANNED

Right. What else can we do?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:11 AM

If we outlaw idiots, only outlaws will be idiots.

Or something like that.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Wow, have we really gone more than two weeks without a SGNOTD? Well, wait no more!

Two drunk brothers at 1:00 AM with a gun. One of them starts showing off his "tactical maneuvers". It goes about as well as you'd expect. The show off waited till after 9:00 to tell anyone that he'd just shot his brother. And even then, he didn't call 911 but instead called his parents, who seem to have an ounce of sense, as they immediately called 911.

Hopefully the shooter's militia will conduct an after action review and incorporate the lessons learned in their next training event.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...61ea84780.html
Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Wow, have we really gone more than two weeks without a SGNOTD? Well, wait no more!

Two drunk brothers at 1:00 AM with a gun. One of them starts showing off his "tactical maneuvers". It goes about as well as you'd expect. The show off waited till after 9:00 to tell anyone that he'd just shot his brother. And even then, he didn't call 911 but instead called his parents, who seem to have an ounce of sense, as they immediately called 911.

Hopefully the shooter's militia will conduct an after action review and incorporate the lessons learned in their next training event.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...61ea84780.html
I love these descriptions from the article:
Quote:
A Hazelwood man was drinking while "practicing tactical maneuvers" with a handgun Monday at home when it fired, killing his brother, police said.

<snip>

Hazelwood Police Chief Gregg Hall said Runnoe was showing the maneuvers to his 29-year-old brother, Allen Runnoe, when the gun discharged about 1 a.m., hitting the elder brother in the head.
The gun fired! The gun discharged!

All by itself. No action necessary. It just went off.

Last edited by mhendo; 12-13-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I love these descriptions from the article:The gun fired! The gun discharged!

All by itself. No action necessary. It just went off.
See, guns do kill people!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:52 PM
BANNED

Again, playing with loaded guns. They'll never learn.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Jumping off the couch, yelling "Freeze you chilli-chokin' pepper-belly!" and shoulder rolling over the ottoman is not, "practicing tactical maneuvers."
Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Another responsible gun owner, playing responsibly with his little toy, responsibly shoots his friend in the chest. Friend dies. Responsible gun owner charged with manslaughter.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...=home-latest-1
Old 01-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another responsible gun owner, playing responsibly with his little toy, responsibly shoots his friend in the chest. Friend dies. Responsible gun owner charged with manslaughter.

"Playing with a gun" and "responsible" are contradictory.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
"Playing with a gun" and "responsible" are contradictory.
Well spotted!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Heavy on sarcasm hey?

Won't any one learn to unload first before fooling around with a gun? Why do you idiots think accidents won't happen to you?

You idiots are already an accident, your daddy didn't pull out in time.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I think you're suggesting the gun-grabbing pussies of California have banned 45 Colt/410 Bore. Is that right? I hope there's plans to nuke those socialist sons of bitches.