Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Doc (restored B-29) flies

Long video (was live)
http://www.b-29doc.com/firstflight/

Highlights:
http://www.b-29doc.com/2016/07/18/vi...light-success/

There are now two flying B-29s (the other being "FIFI" which I have seen at Oshkosh)

Brian
Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Funny this should come up... just Sunday my family and I were out for a walk, and a Lancaster bomber flew overhead. I was mesmerized. I knew it existed, but it's a rare thing.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Somehow I imagined the pilots being higher and farther back in the plane. They were actually flanking where I would have thought the bombardier's position was. I guess I was thinking it would be laid out on the interior more like the B17.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:26 PM

I would have thought that multi-engine planes like this have engines on one wing that turn opposite the ones on the other wing, to counteract torque. But all 4 props spin in the same direction.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
I would have thought that multi-engine planes like this have engines on one wing that turn opposite the ones on the other wing, to counteract torque. But all 4 props spin in the same direction.
The plane is wide enough (long enough wingspan) that torque is easily countered with aileron trim. The logistical complexities of maintaining stocks of "left turning" and "right turning" engines is just not worth it when it's basically a non-issue.

Last edited by gnoitall; 07-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Somehow I imagined the pilots being higher and farther back in the plane. They were actually flanking where I would have thought the bombardier's position was. I guess I was thinking it would be laid out on the interior more like the B17.
The bombardier is not in that much different of a spot relative to the pilots as compared to the B-17. It feels different because the B-17 cockpit is so cramped that it's hard to see the bombardier position, while the B-29 is a wide open space.

Some terrible pictures that kinda sorta illustrate that....
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Resurrecting this thread because Doc is coming to California next month.

Warbird News ó B-29 Doc Announces Full California Tour Schedule

b29doc.com ó California Tour Confirmed: B-29 Doc to Make Four Stops in the Golden State

Iím going. I already have our tickets (wife and I are going). Canít wait. I havenít seen either Doc or FIFI before. Doc has that shiny mirror-like finish so Iím hoping to get a picture of the nose with us in the reflection. FIFIís finish is dull gray and non-reflective. There must be official names of those finishes and paint.

imgur, 2 pics ó B-29 Nose Art, Doc and FIFI
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

To find this thread I searched for all threads with B-29 in the title. I thought Iíd share the search results here. There are only 10 threads, including this one.

(Apr 2008) R/C B-29 with Bell X-1 ó post #1 has a great video, including inverted B-29 flyby. Very cool. Thanks to Johnny L.A..

(Apr 2007) Anime depictions of a B-29 bomber?

(Jun 2006) Making a B-29 go faster

(Nov 2005) Has a B-29 or B-52 ever shot down enemy fighters?

(Mar 2005) Largest-yield nuke a B-29 could have delivered, safely?

(Dec 2004) Did The Russians COPY the B-29 Bomber?

(Jul 2004) B-29 bomber question

(Jan 2003) B-29 (maybe) raid over Scottsdale

(Jan 2003) B-29 question
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Funny this should come up... just Sunday my family and I were out for a walk, and a Lancaster bomber flew overhead. I was mesmerized. I knew it existed, but it's a rare thing.
That type of airplane is surprisingly loud. I was hiking in the Big Thicket awhile ago, surrounded by brush, pines, and swamp (it's a great place to see carnivorous plants like pitchers, sundews, etc...), and suddenly the air was filled with this omnipresent droning. Loud enough it was tough to localize, and we didn't end up seeing the CFA's B-17, flying from the Houston area to somewhere else.

I can't imagine what hundreds of them, taking off and flying over East Anglia, must have sounded like.
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

I can only imagine. I’ve never seen a Lancaster in flight.

I’ve had a V-22 Osprey tiltrotor fly over my house in helicopter mode. Very loud, and it shook my house.
Old Today, 12:43 PM

I was standing about 50' away from a 1929 Ford Tri-motor (now owned by Evergreen Aviation in McMinnville, Oregon) when they cranked it up. It made my chest vibrate like a kettle drum.