View Poll Results: Which one??
Thankful 21 11.54%
Weirded out 161 88.46%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
Restraining orders.
Those can only be issued upon reasonable fear of violence. How does a guy doing a good deed of mowing your lawn fit anywhere near that?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

From here: "A restraining order (also called a 'protective order') is a court order that can protect someone from being physically or sexually abused, threatened, stalked, or harassed. The person getting the restraining order is called the 'protected person.' The person the restraining order is against is the 'restrained person.' Sometimes, restraining orders include other 'protected persons' like family or household members of the protected person."

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 06-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Those can only be issued upon reasonable fear of violence. How does a guy doing a good deed of mowing your lawn fit anywhere near that?
You have trouble understanding the experiences of people different from yourself, don't you?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
How would you react to having some near rando suddenly trespassing on your property? Isn't this exactly the scenario that people buy guns for?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
How would you react to having some near rando suddenly trespassing on your property? Isn't this exactly the scenario that people buy guns for?
Maybe this is why we have people arguing against legal gun ownership. Because some people want to shoot those who generously mow their lawns.

Do you really think you could legally shoot someone for nicely mowing your lawn?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
From here: "A restraining order (also called a 'protective order') is a court order that can protect someone from being physically or sexually abused, threatened, stalked, or harassed. The person getting the restraining order is called the 'protected person.' The person the restraining order is against is the 'restrained person.' Sometimes, restraining orders include other 'protected persons' like family or household members of the protected person."
And someone who mows your grass for you does which of those?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
You have trouble understanding the experiences of people different from yourself, don't you?
Only when those people don't have a penis. Then their experiences don't really count.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is why we have people arguing against legal gun ownership. Because some people want to shoot those who generously mow their lawns.

Do you really think you could legally shoot someone for nicely mowing your lawn?
You seem to be assuming that you know for sure that's why said semi rando is there. The point is that you dont know and you cant know on that instant they show up. And until you give the ok for them to mow the lawn, they are trespassing. You're the lawyer, what's your rights re:trespassers?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Furthermore, does it legally matter if a trespasser is there to be nice? Can I start asking sales people who ring the bell to do landscaping to prove their intentions?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
And someone who mows your grass for you does which of those?
"Hi I'm Sue & my lawnmower is broken." & then you suddenly show up at my house & mow my lawn, when I never told you my last name or address. I'd certainly feel stalked & threatened. I think 'Sue' can be concerned what Mr. Mower is going to do if she don't thank him enough/properly?

What's next; if she goes to the gym in the morning & says she doesn't know what to have for dinner will she come home from work to a fancy candlelit meal for two on fine china in her dining room?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
How am I supposed to know the motive? I'm a single woman in my late fifties. I go to the gym and have random conversations with both men and women younger than I. Forget, if you can, that mowing the lawn is a nice gesture. Finding out my full name and accessing property registers to find out where I live and showing up there sets off all sorts of alarms.

No, I don't think every man is out to harm me. But all you have to do is crack open a newspaper and read about how many nice helpful young men turn out to be dangerous little psychopaths. You can't sort them out by looking for the mark of Cain on the forehead. I don't live in fear, but I pay attention to my Spidey sense.

For those of you who still think it's over reacting, let's say you go visit your mother one day. She lives alone and you usually cut her grass. You've been out of town and sick and its been awhile. You go see Mom and it's been done. Well, that's nice. Did one of the neighborhood kids..? No, a guy from the gym. Did you ask him to come over? Well, how did he know where you live? He WHAT?? Mother, what do you know about this guy? He seems nice? So did Ted Bundy.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
You blew that way out of proportion, and I don't appreciate how you re-edited the quote from someone else to make it seem like I made the rape comment.

I need not read any of those links. Go ahead and bash me more.

My wife, who obviously knows me to the core, even said... sure you should have called first, but these people don't know the good person that I am. I don't harm people, nor do I intimidate, harass. People who actually know me, know I have good intentions in this world of ours. Continue on.
I dont see any edit that makes it look like you made the rape comment. Pretty c;ear you made the "best reply" comment.

Maybe you mentioned it, and I missed it, but does she know how you found her address?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 PM

You people are comical with how you exacerbate things.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I dont see any edit that makes it look like you made the rape comment. Pretty c;ear you made the "best reply" comment.

Maybe you mentioned it, and I missed it, but does she know how you found her address?

The "best reply" comment was to mock jerk that said it. It's unbelievable that anyone in their right mind could correlate the two.

She never said anything about the address.

Last edited by LiveFree; 06-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I havent been following this thread *too* closely but nowhere have I seen you answer the simple question of *why* you started this thread? What were you hoping to get from it?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Neither you nor Ultra Vires is very funny with how you minimize the fears of women.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I havent been following this thread *too* closely but nowhere have I seen you answer the simple question of *why* you started this thread? What were you hoping to get from it?
OP: I've been told that I have trouble with social interactions and respecting boundaries. Did it happen again? Here's what I did.
SDMB: It happened again.
OP: No it didn't, shut up!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Neither you nor Ultra Vires is very funny with how you minimize the fears of women.
Isn't awesome how both men and women are saying "dude, that's creepy" but there are those in this thread that are telling us "No, it's not! It's not stalking if you want to do something nice, and it's not trespassing if you are doing an unasked favor!"

And then some people don't believe that some men react to a polite "no thanks" with anger and insults.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I guess to see if I screwed up or not. I've taken in what some people have said.

Quote:
I don't minimize the fears of women, and haven't here. Regarding me, there isn't a woman in the world that needs to fear me. Anyone that knows me, knows that.

Society nowadays IS scary. Ya, you have to be careful out there (man or woman).
Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I guess to see if I screwed up or not. I've taken in what some people have said.

I don't minimize the fears of women, and haven't here. Regarding me, there isn't a woman in the world that needs to fear me. Anyone that knows me, knows that.

That's the problem, they DON'T know you.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:

If only the really scary guys wore a name tag or something, instead of saying things very similar to "Regarding me, there isn't a woman in the world that needs to fear me."
Old 06-17-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Lesson learned about this situation.

on edit - - be more mindful of the other person..
Quote:
That's an odd combination of things to say. If you've actually learned the lesson, and are willing to be more mindful of other people, why are you then in a later post claiming that objections are comical?

Or did you actually mean exacerbate, and not exaggerate? In which case, I don't know what you mean by that.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 PM

LiveFree, you should just let the thread die down, a quiet death. Your posting isn't winning over or convincing posters in this thread. Just lay it to rest, nice and gentle.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
So why did you ask our opinion? What were you going to gain? Accolades? Didn't happen. Constructive criticism? You're laughing that off. Rather defensively, I might add.

ultavires, Mr. Lawyer, sir: if a client said "I'm going to surprise an acquaintance by mowing her lawn for her. She didn't tell me her last name off where she lives, but I eavesdropped on her conversations and checked the property tax registers. She has no idea I'm going to do this!" what would your advice be?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:35 PM

I'm hoping he goes to the gym and tells his friend all about how he found out her address and last name, and reports back.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
LiveFree, you should just let the thread die down, a quiet death. Your posting isn't winning over or convincing posters in this thread. Just lay it to rest, nice and gentle.
Especially since he originally wanted it deleted.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
So why did you ask our opinion? What were you going to gain? Accolades? Didn't happen. Constructive criticism? You're laughing that off. Rather defensively, I might add.

ultavires, Mr. Lawyer, sir: if a client said "I'm going to surprise an acquaintance by mowing her lawn for her. She didn't tell me her last name off where she lives, but I eavesdropped on her conversations and checked the property tax registers. She has no idea I'm going to do this!" what would your advice be?
And if her door is unlocked I'll really surprise her with an extra nice gesture and do her laundry for her too! Being sure to fold her panties real neat.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Sure, like you took in what people said last thread?

I doubt it.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
For those of you who still think it's over reacting, let's say you go visit your mother one day. She lives alone and you usually cut her grass. You've been out of town and sick and its been awhile. You go see Mom and it's been done. Well, that's nice. Did one of the neighborhood kids..? No, a guy from the gym. Did you ask him to come over? Well, how did he know where you live? He WHAT?? Mother, what do you know about this guy? He seems nice? So did Ted Bundy.
This is an anecdote and doesn't prove a thing, but I can't help sharing: My grandmother was murdered by the guy who cut her grass!

No, really, I'm not joking. No one will ever be 100% sure, but she died suddenly under quite suspicious circumstances: the younger man who gardened for her (and who had insinuated himself into her good graces to the tune of several loans and gifts) found her sprawled out on her floor. Phone records show a call from my grandmother's house to the UK (where the gardener's girlfriend lived) right around the time he supposedly found her and called an ambulance.

I posted this story on the SDMB a number of years ago, so doubters can verify I'm not making the story up for this thread.

Sorry for the tangent. Carry on.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 06-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 AM

I think what many here may not understand is the difference between a helpful man and an overly helpful man.

Women know from experience that a man that insists on helping is often up to no good. What “no good” consists of varies widely. Could be that he’s trying to get sex. Could be that he’s trying to make himself feel big by making the woman feel small. (Have no fear, damsel! The white knight is here to save your helpless ass!) Could be a lot if things, and it could be nothing, but it’s definitely a red flag.

So the the fact that the OP didn’t even give the woman the option of saying no set off a lot of warning bells. Again, this is based on experience with men who have done comparable things.

It doesn’y seem that the OP had any nefarious motives, but the red flags were flying high nevertheless.

Quote:
One can only assume that many of these folks haven’t read The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker.

He starts with a horrifying story that illustrates how a man used “helping” as a way to maneuver a woman into a situation where he could rape and murder her. She got away while he was rummaging around for a butcher knife.

It is an extreme example, but it really makes the point.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I only know her by first name...

... figure out where she lives going roughly by where she has said she lives, and looking on the town tax database.

So, I went over today ... She didn't have a clue that I was going to do this.
Ok, now please explain to me just what part of that is not CREEPY ILLEGAL STALKING and TRESPASSING?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

So, how exactly did she discover you were the lawn mower? Figure it out on her own? Just guess it was you? Or maybe she remarked on it and you owned up? Or did you straight up say you did it? How did the reveal unfold exactly?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:

He'll need to ask random people on a message board before he's able to answer this question.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Incidentally, the OP's occasional use of the word "surprise" reminds me of stuff my dad used to do, surprising people with unannounced visits and on one occasion surprising me with a reunion with a foster kid he and my mom had hosted in the 1970s and whom I didn't recognize because of course we hadn't seen each other since we were children. If this made you feel awkward or uncomfortable, that was just you overreacting and now he was justified in acting like his feelings were being hurt, his generosity rudely rebuffed etc.

It was blatant passive-aggression with a veneer of "but my intentions were good" and one of his less endearing habits, and he wasn't that endearing in general.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
.. generously mow their lawns.
...nicely mowing your lawn?
Adverbs are where it's at.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Creepy and inappropriate. You definitely crossed a line there, OP.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
You blew that way out of proportion, and I don't appreciate how you re-edited the quote from someone else to make it seem like I made the rape comment.

I need not read any of those links. Go ahead and bash me more.

My wife, who obviously knows me to the core, even said... sure you should have called first, but these people don't know the good person that I am. I don't harm people, nor do I intimidate, harass. People who actually know me, know I have good intentions in this world of ours. Continue on.
Interesting that you either didn't ask your wife's advice before doing this highly creepy thing, or you did, she told you not to, and you blew her off, just like you've blown off the advice, feelings, and lived experiences of every woman in this thread. I have zero evidence you're a good person and a mountain of evidence that you trample over people's boundaries, get defensive rather than listening even when you've solicited feedback, mock and belittle women for their well-founded fears, and probably make up details as you go along to make yourself look better.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

When I generously make a woman breakfast in bed I expect thanks; not a lot of "Who are you?", "How did you get in here?" and "I'm calling the police!". What has happened to simple manners; I wonder?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Just speculating here; the OP knew it was a bad idea but went ahead anyway because he was anticipating that the woman would negatively react and he derives satisfaction out of lamenting that people are such snowflakes nowadays. She disappointed him by simply thanking him a few times, so he thought he'd try the story over here in order to get his post #163 moment.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM

LiveFree, by your own threads, you have shown a pattern of doing things that make people uncomfortable. You have shown a pattern of looking up information beyond the casual interest, and using that info for your own purposes. That kind of behavior is troubling. Especially when it confronts the person directly.

Maybe you are sincere that you only have good, honest, non-threatening intentions, but your intentions mean squat when other people have to evaluate their own perceived personal safety. Guessing at someone's name from their license plate or using an overheard last name not used when introduced to you and then looking up tax records and other information, regardless of them being public records, is stepping on the boundaries of polite behavior.

And then your attitude in the thread has been a bit dismissive of people's stated concerns, saying they "exacerbate" (exaggerate?), that a poster "blew that way out of proportion". Other comments show that you appear to at least consider the positions, but previous threads have told you this kind of thing is creepy and you continue.

Looking up someone on Facebook is fine, but if you're going to comment on it, probably best to preface your remarks by a) commenting via Facebook, and (or at a minimum) b) prefacing your remarks with "so I came across your Facebook page and noticed...". Don't jump right in with "How is your brother doing?" when the coworker hasn't mentioned his/her brother to you. That kind of "where did you find that out?" is the kind of discord that makes folks uncomfortable, i.e. is creepy.

Wanting to do a kindness for a "friend" is admirable, wanting to make it a surprise is interesting. But be aware not everyone likes surprises, even surprise favors. Some of us are unhappy, for instance, to come home and find our parents redecorated our bedroom and moved everything around while we were away at summer camp. Good intentions, and it seems ungrateful to be annoyed at having our stuff moved around, which only adds to the frustration of the event. Couple that with it being someone you only know at the gym, only "knows" your first name (because you haven't told them your last name), and add in the gender issue, and now that is a more serious issue, not just a family being nice, but an acquaintance stepping beyond the bounds of the established relationship.

The proper thing is to ask to do a favor. Surprises are overrated.

You might be harmless, but plenty of harmful people disguise themselves as harmless.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Only when those people don't have a penis. Then their experiences don't really count.
You know, this gets confusing. In some threads we are not supposed to treat women any differently at all because that is just stereotyping and archaic. Yet in some cases we are to treat women as if they are in 1588 Elizabethan England because they are delicate flowers that cannot conform to the scary people that they see in society and likely need protection from their husbands. Which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
You seem to be assuming that you know for sure that's why said semi rando is there. The point is that you dont know and you cant know on that instant they show up. And until you give the ok for them to mow the lawn, they are trespassing. You're the lawyer, what's your rights re:trespassers?
When I post here, I am doing so as some guy who likes to come here for entertainment and/or education. I am not posting here as a lawyer. This was a poll asking if a person should be thankful or not. I don't recall a request for legal advice.

That being said, of course I would not advise anyone to do this. But this idea that was briefly mentioned that you could shoot someone you saw outside mowing your lawn is frightening to say the least, especially when those making that statement are likely those who would otherwise argue against gun ownership, and it seems to me that if they think that way, then that is what colors their thoughts.

As far as being criminal, in my state, unless there are no trespassing signs posted, there must be a command to leave the property which is refused before criminal trespass becomes an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
"Hi I'm Sue & my lawnmower is broken." & then you suddenly show up at my house & mow my lawn, when I never told you my last name or address. I'd certainly feel stalked & threatened. I think 'Sue' can be concerned what Mr. Mower is going to do if she don't thank him enough/properly?

What's next; if she goes to the gym in the morning & says she doesn't know what to have for dinner will she come home from work to a fancy candlelit meal for two on fine china in her dining room?
This is several steps removed from danger. Sure the guy who mows your lawn COULD be the next Ted Bundy, but it is not reasonable to make that assumption without more.

Further, I noted above that an invasion into your home is far more serious than mowing your grass, which is exposed to the public.

But, to the majority of the thread, let's have a sterile society where nobody does anything nice for someone else. Let's always assume the worst of people and keep our distance. I mean, don't invite the neighbors over because one of them could be a murderer for all you know. Put razor wire up around your house in case someone violates the sanctity of your yard by mowing it. I'm sure that will be better for everyone.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:

As far as being criminal, in my state, unless there are no trespassing signs posted, there must be a command to leave the property which is refused before criminal trespass becomes an issue.

Setting aside the"confusion" on how to empathize with delicate flowers of womanhood, or whether we need the protection of our husbands, and ALSO setting aside the question of whether looking up last names, addresses, marital status, family history and whatever you want to go "surprise" someone by being"nice" well result in a sterile society where no one is ever kind or nice to each other at all- for now- I want to clarify the isolated part here.

If I find out where you live, go to your home and discover no signs, I can hang out there all day every day as long as you're not there to tell me to leave? No trespass involved? Can I store stuff on your property (again, only accessing my stuff when you and your family are gone) ?

Last edited by raventhief; 06-19-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Setting aside the"confusion" on how to empathize with delicate flowers of womanhood, or whether we need the protection of our husbands, and ALSO setting aside the question of whether looking up last names, addresses, marital status, family history and whatever you want to go "surprise" someone by being"nice" well result in a sterile society where no one is ever kind or nice to each other at all- for now- I want to clarify the isolated part here.

If I find out where you live, go to your home and discover no signs, I can hang out there all day every day as long as you're not there to tell me to leave? No trespass involved? Can I store stuff on your property (again, only accessing my stuff when you and your family are gone) ?
For the sake of clarity, I mean in your back yard or something. Not IN the house. But can I put up a tent, maybe camp out there?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You know, this gets confusing. In some threads we are not supposed to treat women any differently at all because that is just stereotyping and archaic. Yet in some cases we are to treat women as if they are in 1588 Elizabethan England because they are delicate flowers that cannot conform to the scary people that they see in society and likely need protection from their husbands. Which is it?
I know. It's so confusing to know how to treat women properly. It's almost like they are real people in different situations.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I know. It's so confusing to know how to treat women properly. It's almost like they are real people in different situations.
Who would've thought??

UltraVires, you've proven for months (years?) that this is obviously very difficult for you. The best course of action is to avoid discussing and engaging with women here completely.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM

As a white person, I have to say that it's so hard to know how to treat black people. I mean, they're supposed to be equal right? They don't want to be treated like special flowers. So I don't get why they worry about encountering the police so much. it doesn't bother me--why should they be worried? The police are just trying to be helpful!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
...But, to the majority of the thread, let's have a sterile society where nobody does anything nice for someone else. ....
Let's exclude the middle while we're at it!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
And we, delicate flowers that we are, cannot "conform" to the scary people- but look! A little over 10% thinks it was nice, and nearly 90% think it was creepy to some degree or another. And yet we are supposed to conform to UV and LF's standards of behaviour?

Why the bloody hell should we conform?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
For the sake of clarity, I mean in your back yard or something. Not IN the house. But can I put up a tent, maybe camp out there?
Of course not. It the property owner sees you, he or she can eject you. But you will not be arrested (at least in my state) if you did not pass over "No Trespassing" signs or if the property owner has not previously told you to stay out.

In this situation if the police are called, the camper will be served by the police with a notice to stay the hell out and if the camper comes back again, he or she could be arrested.

Same with our OP, although the woman who had her lawn mowed for free seems happy about it, just like I would be.

Quote:
They are real people in the same situation, but are asking, at least in this thread, to be treated differently. I thought that was bad because in almost every other instance, you may not treat a woman differently lest you be accused of misogyny.

Quote:
Who would've thought??

UltraVires, you've proven for months (years?) that this is obviously very difficult for you. The best course of action is to avoid discussing and engaging with women here completely.
This seems to be your answer for most of these things. If you are a man, then just shut up. I don't think that is conducive to reasoned debate and is insulting.

My opinion is more respectful to women in that I give them the benefit of the doubt that even if they find something "creepy" they don't take the next three or four missteps of logic and either shoot the lawnmower or think he is Ted Bundy. You seem to be arguing that only men are capable of being rational in this situation.

If the genders were reversed and I was in that situation (can we say that women are just as likely to mow grass as men?) and I came home to find my grass cut, I would certainly be surprised. If I found out it was a woman from work who did it, I would certainly thank her and tell her it was not necessary and the next step would depend on how well I knew her, what I thought her intentions were, and yes, indeed, I would at least keep a corner of my eye out to ensure that she wasn't a crazy stalker who would kill my wife and cook the pet rabbit for dinner a la Fatal Attraction.

However (and I don't really have a pet rabbit) I wouldn't immediately think that she was crazy and I damned sure wouldn't shoot her if I saw her in the yard with a lawnmower.

There are a hell of a lot of nice people in the world who do nice things for other people, but this new attitude is killing that. Remember all of the old guys that used to pat little girls on the head and give them lollipops? Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore because people now think those guys are child molesters. Just for being nice to a sweet little girl!

So, yeah, keep that look out of the corner of your eye. But don't think that everyone has some malevolent intent. Anymore, if they are mean to you, it's bad, but if they are nice, they are also bad because they are just hiding that mean intent that will surely be next.

And I'm not innocent of it either. I don't think the OP wants to do harm to the lady, but as I said before, I think he is sweet on her. I know I hate mowing my own grass, let alone a co-worker's.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Finding out where someone lives in this day and age is dead easy.

There's some guy who comes around my neighbourhood selling frozen products door-to-door. This week I accidentally learned his full name and address because he made a comment on social media.