Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM

...while I agree that "no-knock warrants" are in most cases stupid, pointless, and dangerous, expecting police to all of a sudden decide to stop executing the warrants because "its the right thing to do" is kinda ridiculous. There are 18,000 police departments in America. Its just not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
A big part of the solution is for the police to be fully responsible to independent civilian oversight.
This is a much more practical approach to the issue. But America being America, without overwhelming support from the public, this is unlikely to happen in most jurisdictions.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM

First round of closing arguments today in Baltimore.
Quote:
Federal prosecutors and a defense team for one of two Baltimore detectives fighting racketeering and robbery charges made their closing arguments Wednesday as a trial winds down in one of the worst U.S. police corruption scandals in recent memory.

The high-profile case is not in the hands of a jury quite yet. Defense attorneys for a second detective who has pleaded not guilty will deliver their final arguments Thursday, and government prosecutors are set for a rebuttal.
The article has a decent overview of the whole thing for those that haven't been following along.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-07-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I am sure we will hear soon enough that this is perfectly acceptable police behavior, and that the only terrible thing is that it was recorded and made public. That's the egregious and awful act.
Probably.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Guilty and guilty:
Quote:
The result: A jury convicted Detectives Daniel Hersl and Marcus Taylor of robbery, racketeering, and conspiracy on Monday evening, and they face up to 20 years on each count.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Don't be ridiculous. That didn't happen - police are never punished for wrong doing. I read it on the Internet.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Don't be ridiculous. That didn't happen - police are never punished for wrong doing. I read it on the Internet.

Regards,
Shodan
Not as often as they commit wrongdoing, to be sure, but from time to time, despite the police being the ones to investigate, and their friends the ones to prosecute, occasionally, when they have at least a decade of criminal behavior of invading homes, staging crime scenes, acting as armed drug dealers, running interference on drug trafficking rings, and even defrauding of their own department, they end up actually facing justice.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

No, police are never charged, always acquitted, and if fired, are quickly rehired by the same or another department. You could look it up.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM

Some of the wrongdoing by the police is not actually illegal. And some of it falls into untested grey areas. We may be giving them more latitude in some ways than is appropriate for the job.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No, police are never charged, always acquitted, and if fired, are quickly rehired by the same or another department. You could look it up.

Regards,
Shodan
I could, but I certainly don't want to look up where you pulled it out of.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
Timely response you dumb fuck, given today's verdict of not guilty for the piece of shit cowardly officer who instead of disarming a 66 year old grandma having an episode wielding a bat OR using his taser, decides to murder her instead.

Fuck that piece of shit judge too.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Has he been hired back? That always happens next.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Has he been hired back? That always happens next.

Regards,
Shodan
I know how much you want murderers to be on the police force, but can you keep your fantasies to yourself for once?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:13 AM

Broward County Sheriff: Twenty 911 calls about school-shooter Cruz received in the past few years.

-The Hill
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Broward County Sheriff: Twenty 911 calls about school-shooter Cruz received in the past few years.

-The Hill
It's *HIS* Sheriff Department that never acted, but he wants the FBI director to resign. Hmmmm. Why didn't *HIS* people never do anything?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
It's *HIS* Sheriff Department that never acted, but he wants the FBI director to resign. Hmmmm. Why didn't *HIS* people never do anything?
Police visited the house 39 times (including, I imagine, the twenty 911 calls) over a seven year period. But yeah, let's blame the FBI.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/sh...nvs/index.html
Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 PM

And how much howling would there have been if this young MAGA-bro had both his first and second amendment rights trampled upon? There is no law against crazy fuckers owning AR-15s in Florida so what was reporting him supposed to accomplish? To "keep and eye on him"? You're going to have to hire a few more FBI agents if you're going to stake out every armed angry redneck in Florida.

If only there were a common denominator.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 AM

This just popped up on the AP news feed and isn't really controversial, IMO; this is just good, solid police work and an example for other officers to follow.

From East Lansdowne, PA:
Quote:
Police were dispatched to Melrose Ave and Emerson Ave for reports of a dinosaur on the loose. On location we observed a T-Rex taking their kid to school. No problem. Clear.
Video at the link, eh.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Back to our main topic:

Toronto, Canada today:
Quote:
Videos showing Toronto police and transit fare inspectors pinning down a black teenager have prompted an internal investigation, according to the Toronto Transit Commission.

On Sunday, Bethany McBride, a Toronto-based chef, posted two videos of the incident to Facebook with the caption, “On my streetcar, a black teenaged boy shoved a fare collector who put his hands on him... and this happens. They held him down screaming for twenty mins.”
Quote:
McBride told CityNews the teen was getting off the streetcar near St. Clair West and Bathurst Street when fare inspectors dragged him back by his jacket.

The teen, who she estimated was around 15, reacted by shoving the inspector who grabbed him, McBride said. At that point, she said two TTC inspectors pinned the teenager onto the ground outside of the streetcar; three cops later joined in, handcuffed the teen, and held him down for 20 minutes, according to McBride.

In McBride’s videos, the teen can be heard crying, “I didn’t do anything, though. Please, you’re hurting me. You’re hurting me. You’re hurting me.”
Quote:
The TTC has not yet responded to VICE’s request for comment. But TTC spokesman, Stuart Green, told CityNews simply not paying a fare would not be grounds for a fare inspector to use force.

He said the TTC is investigating.

“What we’ve seen in the video is, of course, of great concern to us.”
I hope it is, Mr. Green; I hope it is.

ETA: Miss McBride's Facebook page with the videos; only one is at the VICE link.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM

https://usat.ly/2oqMZ4R

What a fucking pussy. This guy should be stoned. Fucking do your job and save some kids.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

What a fucking pussy. This guy should be stoned. Fucking do your job and save some kids.
On top of being chicken, didn't he even bother to tell the cops that they were watching video that was on a 20 minute delay?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Did you hear the one about the cop who was too afraid to intervene in a school massacre?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.774c6d4b1df8

ETA: I see UCBearcats has.

Last edited by bobot; 02-22-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

A well paid pussy, at that.

Quote:
In 2016, his annual salary was more than $75,600, though that could have changed in the years since
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old 02-23-2018, 02:07 AM

Say what you will about this guy's intestinal fortitude, and I won't argue with you too hard, but I think this goes to show what a ridiculous idea it is to pay some retiree 80 grand a year to guard your school when it's obvious that he couldn't have done shit, probably even if he would have gone inside the building. The odds are that if he would have gone inside there just would have been one more body - his. What the fuck is one 54 year old guy with a handgun going to do against a rampaging teen with an AR-15? The whole notion of one security guard solving all the problems of a potential school shooting is more akin to a feel-good measure in face of this kind of fire-power.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 AM

Even trained people in chaotic scene tend to shoot just anyone who suddenly appears around the corner, especially if that person screams. May that be a killer or panicked student.
If that cop would've gone inside there's no saying how many students he would've shot.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
Even trained people in chaotic scene tend to shoot just anyone who suddenly appears around the corner, especially if that person screams. May that be a killer or panicked student.
If that cop would've gone inside there's no saying how many students he would've shot.
I won't argue that you're wrong (hence, this thread). But perhaps that's a reason to have better training for cops and "resource officers" alike. Don't shoot unarmed people, or armed people who aren't an immediate threat.

It should be fairly easy to identify the one person in a school who is armed with a rifle.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I won't argue that you're wrong (hence, this thread). But perhaps that's a reason to have better training for cops and "resource officers" alike. Don't shoot unarmed people, or armed people who aren't an immediate threat.

It should be fairly easy to identify the one person in a school who is armed with a rifle.
How do you know it's a rifle? How do you know there's just one person?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
How do you know it's a rifle? How do you know there's just one person?
Good points. I guess you wouldn't at the time. But you would still be looking for someone who is armed, following the sounds.

And, yes, to anticipate your next objection, the shooter could ditch the gun and blend in with the other students, which is just what this shooter did, I guess. Not an easy situation, for sure, which is all the more reason to allow teachers to be armed. They are right there as it's happening.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Good points. I guess you wouldn't at the time. But you would still be looking for someone who is armed, following the sounds.

And, yes, to anticipate your next objection, the shooter could ditch the gun and blend in with the other students, which is just what this shooter did, I guess. Not an easy situation, for sure, which is all the more reason to allow teachers to be armed. They are right there as it's happening.
"You would be looking for someone who is armed" seems to clash with "more reason to allow teachers to be armed".

Anybody holding a gun during a shooting automatically becomes a target for everyone else holding a gun during a shooting. Bad guys'll shoot at you, other "good guys with guns" will shoot at you, SWAT will shoot at you.

This whole Should We Arm Teachers discussion treats teachers like they are the pawns in our game. They're not going to do anything they don't want to do, and requiring them to be armed or to work alongside armed people will only give us fewer teachers.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
This whole Should We Arm Teachers discussion treats teachers like they are the pawns in our game. They're not going to do anything they don't want to do, and requiring them to be armed or to work alongside armed people will only give us fewer teachers.
Who is suggesting that they be required to be armed? The suggestion is that they be allowed to be armed, if they have a carry permit, complete whatever training is required, and want to do it. Not treat them like pawns at all, but as conscientious adults who can make their own decisions. Seems entirely reasonable to me.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Who is suggesting that they be required to be armed? The suggestion is that they be allowed to be armed, if they have a carry permit, complete whatever training is required, and want to do it. Not treat them like pawns at all, but as conscientious adults who can make their own decisions. Seems entirely reasonable to me.
But some (not you, or course) have suggested that they being armed would be a solution to the problem. This seems to ignore the fact that some adults who WERE armed and had a duty to act chose not to pursue the shooter. Some seem to think (again, not you) that having a gun would automatically give them nerves of steel.

There is something silly in the President's 'they are cowards' rhetoric. He says that wouldn't DARE attack a place where they might expect someone to return fire. I would counter that most school shooters, and most mass shooters, seem to be aware that they themselves are not likely to survive the incident.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM

In the early post-Columbine era the trained response was to get a four officer team and make entry. That changed pretty quickly. After all, how long would it take to get four officers together at the exact same location and make the move? Minutes (or longer) depending on the jurisdiction and how many people would be shot in the mean time? I asked the officers that I trained, "How long would you wait for back-up if your kid was in there?" When seconds matter, the cops are only minutes away. There has been much written about this topic but one thing that is widely accepted is that, once you make the gunman react to you, his focus changes from killing innocents to escaping, killing you or killing himself. Another theory posits that an active shooter will suffer from tunnel vision and be, relatively, tactically unaware. This may make it a bit easier to sneak up on him and end it. Going up against someone armed with an AR 15 or similar while armed with only a pistol is a losing proposition if they know you are there. Think about the length of school hallways. I don't care if your are Jason Bourne, hitting a stationary target at 200' with a handgun on the range isn't easy. Add movement, adrenaline and all the other factors and its mostly luck. Swap that Glock for an AR and the odds are much better. Having a rifle locked in an office is useless but who wants cops armed with rifles patrolling our schools? The thing is, no one knows how they will react when the shit really hits the fan. It takes a certain mindset (the much maligned "warrior mentality") to go charging in to a firefight. A cop would have to change from "least amount of force necessary" to "most amount of force possible" when it comes to stopping an active killer in a school. This is not an easy switch to flip and those who are likely to be the best are those who have been there and done that. That kind of experience is hard to come by. I'll be critical of the officer who remained outside in Florida. He was, obviously, not the right man for the job. I'd like to think that I would have done things differently but who knows?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM

MikeF:

I could read only five or so lines, after that I started losing the right place when I tried to move to the next line. Pretty soon I just gave up and I have no idea what you were writing in the end.

That big amounts of text should be cut to chapters.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
...There is no law against crazy fuckers owning AR-15s in Florida ...
Then there should be a law. On the federal level, so states and local Barney Fifes HAVE to comply.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Who is suggesting that they be required to be armed? The suggestion is that they be allowed to be armed …
“Allowed” is where it starts. As I said elsewhere, “required” is the goal: education “has a liberal bias”, so once we get rid of the teachers who feel icky with a gun on their hip in class, the liberal bias will start to be “corrected”.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
But some (not you, or course) have suggested that they being armed would be a solution to the problem. This seems to ignore the fact that some adults who WERE armed and had a duty to act chose not to pursue the shooter. Some seem to think (again, not you) that having a gun would automatically give them nerves of steel.

There is something silly in the President's 'they are cowards' rhetoric. He says that wouldn't DARE attack a place where they might expect someone to return fire. I would counter that most school shooters, and most mass shooters, seem to be aware that they themselves are not likely to survive the incident.
I will agree that most are cowards, in that they will take their own lives rather than face the people whose lives they have destroyed, but that sort of cowardice is not the sort that will protect our schools.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I will agree that most are cowards, in that they will take their own lives rather than face the people whose lives they have destroyed, but that sort of cowardice is not the sort that will protect our schools.
I don't know what that has to do with anything. I make no reference to cowardice\bravery. Only that that the thought of armed response deters no one that is bent on a shooting. At some point, they know an armed response is coming. It is inevitable.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I don't know what that has to do with anything. I make no reference to cowardice\bravery. Only that that the thought of armed response deters no one that is bent on a shooting. At some point, they know an armed response is coming. It is inevitable.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, more mocking trump.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Say what you will about this guy's intestinal fortitude, and I won't argue with you too hard, but I think this goes to show what a ridiculous idea it is to pay some retiree 80 grand a year to guard your school when it's obvious that he couldn't have done shit, probably even if he would have gone inside the building. The odds are that if he would have gone inside there just would have been one more body - his. What the fuck is one 54 year old guy with a handgun going to do against a rampaging teen with an AR-15? The whole notion of one security guard solving all the problems of a potential school shooting is more akin to a feel-good measure in face of this kind of fire-power.
It's worse than just that.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/polit...ies/index.html
When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.
"What I saw was a deputy arrive ... take up a position and he never went in," Israel said at a news conference. Israel said Peterson should have "went in. Addressed the killer. Killed the killer." Peterson was suspended without pay, after which he resigned.
County Superintendent Robert Runcie said, "I'm in shock and I'm outraged to no end that he could have made a difference in all this. It's really disturbing that we had a law enforcement individual there specifically for this reason, and he did not engage. He did not do his job. It's one of the most unbelievable things I've ever heard."
Two days after the shooting, Coral Springs Police Chief Tony Pustizzi addressed some of the concerns voiced by his officers in an internal email obtained by CNN that said, among other items, "I understand that another agency has given the impression that it had provided the majority of the rescue efforts, and that the tremendous work of the Coral Springs Police and Fire Departments has not been recognized. Please know that this issue will be addressed, ...
It's really disturbing that we had a law enforcement individual there specifically for this reason, and he did not engage. He did not do his job. It's one of the most unbelievable things I've ever heard."
Dereliction of duty, what the military would call "cowardice in the face of the enemy", etc.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
MikeF:

I could read only five or so lines, after that I started losing the right place when I tried to move to the next line. Pretty soon I just gave up and I have no idea what you were writing in the end.

That big amounts of text should be cut to chapters.
Yeah. That was kind of stream of consciousness stuff and I apologize. I guess the bottom line is that there is no simple answer to any of this. Nothing new there. Sorry for the rambling post. I shouldn't post when tired.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
It's worse than just that.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/polit...ies/index.html
[indent]When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN.
Well, they only had four guys, and as we all know, the only thing that an stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy... okay, four good guys... okay, some indeterminate number of good guys that is higher than four with a gun... okay, four guns... okay, some indeterminate... I'll start again : As we all know, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is more than four good guys with more than four guns. Hence the need for more guns.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Since they were apparently just waiting for the crazy guy to run out of bullets, did they really need four Deputies? If three armed LEO's are enough to subdue a crazy guy who's run out of ammo, shouldn't the fourth have been out doing what Florida police are noted for? Killing unarmed and innocent motorists.

Last edited by septimus; Yesterday at 11:32 AM.
Old Today, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Since they were apparently just waiting for the crazy guy to run out of bullets, did they really need four Deputies? If three armed LEO's are enough to subdue a crazy guy who's run out of ammo, shouldn't the fourth have been out doing what Florida police are noted for? Killing unarmed and innocent motorists.
I think this is a logical end state of the LEO mindset that leads to most of the shootings listed in this thread: the number one priority of an officer is going home at the end of the day.

If "I was afraid" is sufficient to explain shooting an unarmed person, how is "I was afraid" not sufficient to explain not entering a building where you can hear actual gunfire?

Apologies to those LEOs who don't use "I was afraid" as their standard for activity/inactivity.

ETA: and who says Cruz was crazy? Pissed off at the world and the school in particular, but labeling him crazy implies mental health improvements would have stopped this (and a lot of other) shootings. I'd suggest implying facts not in evidence, if I was a TV lawyer.

Last edited by Folacin; Today at 11:59 AM.
Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Anybody holding a gun during a shooting automatically becomes a target for everyone else holding a gun during a shooting. Bad guys'll shoot at you, other "good guys with guns" will shoot at you, SWAT will shoot at you.
Didn't take long.

Quote:
AMARILLO, Texas — A Texas Panhandle shelter worker who wrestled a gun away from a man holding hostages was then shot by a police officer who mistook him as the suspect.

- New York Times
Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I think this is a logical end state of the LEO mindset that leads to most of the shootings listed in this thread: the number one priority of an officer is going home at the end of the day.

If "I was afraid" is sufficient to explain shooting an unarmed person, how is "I was afraid" not sufficient to explain not entering a building where you can hear actual gunfire?

Apologies to those LEOs who don't use "I was afraid" as their standard for activity/inactivity.

ETA: and who says Cruz was crazy? Pissed off at the world and the school in particular, but labeling him crazy implies mental health improvements would have stopped this (and a lot of other) shootings. I'd suggest implying facts not in evidence, if I was a TV lawyer.
In a perfect world every LEO goes home every day. The perfect world would would have everyone of them make no mistakes and be honest in all they do. We don't live in a perfect work, but the LEO should protect and serve and put the public first.
Old Today, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Do the police have a legal obligation to protect people? I am not so sure they do.
Old Today, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Do the police have a legal obligation to protect people? I am not so sure they do.
No.

- NY Times
Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quote:
No.

- NY Times
That is fucking bullshit. There is no reason to have any police force if they are not obligated to protect "civilians".
Old Today, 07:39 PM

Their job is to catch bad guys.
Old Today, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Their job is to catch bad guys.
Sorry, I forgot. Let the crime happen, kill an unarmed black guy, maybe solve crime and go home.
Old Today, 09:02 PM

Collars and citations are enumerable. The good will type gestures may get logged (like the time a state trooper gave me a jump-start on the freeway at 4am) but they do not get allocated to an officer's positive production tally the way busting bad guys does. The good will actions of police could improve their work environment, because people who do not instinctively think “Oh, there's a cop, what did I do wrong?” are going to be more helpful and pleasant to be around.