Old 01-01-2020, 09:11 PM

Doctor Who 2020 New Year Special (and current season)(Spoilers!)

Well, that was fun! Stephen Fry makes amusing head of MI6 (should have used the Melchett voice), and after a moment, I recognized Lenny Henry (a man who has played the Doctor in non-canonical sketches) too. The new actor playing the <Big Spoiler> was very good too. Looking forward to seeing how it ends on Sunday.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I loved the James Bond-ish premise, I loved the twists and turns that kept me guessing, I loved the music, I loved the deliberate effort to involve the whole cast a lot more than just trailing around like sad puppies, I loved Lenny Henry's performance in particular. If they can keep this up in the second part, it's a winner for me.

I know a lot of old-school Whovians have dropped off since the last series, maybe even before, but I am not an epic Who fan, just a dogged and faithful one, and so far I haven't had any reason to leave. I like Thirteen and am enjoying Chibnall's run so far.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 PM

And Sacha Dhawan (O) is easy on the eyes, too.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I recognized Lenny Henry (a man who has played the Doctor in non-canonical sketches) too.
I kept thinking "he looks like a young Lenny Henry" and then it turned it was actually Lenny. Fella's looking trim for his age!

Great stuff I thought - the Bond touches were great, and The Doctor at the card table totally cracked me up. And the reveal!

I forgot "The name's Doctor. The Doctor"

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 01-01-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post

Great stuff I thought - the Bond touches were great, and The Doctor at the card table totally cracked me up.
What game was she playing?
Old 01-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
What game was she playing?
I think she was at a Blackjack table. She, on the other hand, though she was playing Snap.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

In the words of Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy: "No sir, I didn't like it."

Well, I absolutely loved the Doctor's new coat. But that was about it. Here's what I wrote on my Facebook page last night after finishing watching it:

I had the same problem with this ep as I did with most of the previous season. I love the new Doctor, but I'm not loving the fact that the writers don't seem to be brave enough to let her *be* the Doctor. I don't tune in for "The Companions Hour featuring The Doctor." I want to see her, and above all, I want to see her being the sharpest person in the room. I want to see her solving the problems, figuring out the puzzles, and being brave and resourceful. I don't want half the episode to be devoted to what her three buddies are up to, and especially not their soap-opera personal lives. They're nice people and all, but I don't like them nearly as much as I like her. Frankly, I think she needs to lose at least one of them. I don't care which one--I don't dislike any of them as individuals--but there are just too many of them.

Also, the big reveal fell flat for me. To paraphrase an old quote: "I knew the Master. And you, sir, are no Master." I loved Missy, and I miss her a lot. This guy, who just seemed full of rage and not much else, didn't hold a candle to Missy or John Simm.

Not really a fan of the new TARDIS, either. I really dug Twelve's version, and this one looks like a big ol' radioactive spider died and went legs-up.

So yeah, not one of my favorite episodes. The weird monsters were cool and I'm looking forward to finding out what's up with them, but dammit, give me my Doctor back. Let Jodie *be* the Doctor, not Doctor-by-Committee.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
In the words of Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy: "No sir, I didn't like it."

Well, I absolutely loved the Doctor's new coat. But that was about it. Here's what I wrote on my Facebook page last night after finishing watching it:

I had the same problem with this ep as I did with most of the previous season. I love the new Doctor, but I'm not loving the fact that the writers don't seem to be brave enough to let her *be* the Doctor. I don't tune in for "The Companions Hour featuring The Doctor." I want to see her, and above all, I want to see her being the sharpest person in the room. I want to see her solving the problems, figuring out the puzzles, and being brave and resourceful. I don't want half the episode to be devoted to what her three buddies are up to, and especially not their soap-opera personal lives. They're nice people and all, but I don't like them nearly as much as I like her. Frankly, I think she needs to lose at least one of them. I don't care which one--I don't dislike any of them as individuals--but there are just too many of them.

Also, the big reveal fell flat for me. To paraphrase an old quote: "I knew the Master. And you, sir, are no Master." I loved Missy, and I miss her a lot. This guy, who just seemed full of rage and not much else, didn't hold a candle to Missy or John Simm.

Not really a fan of the new TARDIS, either. I really dug Twelve's version, and this one looks like a big ol' radioactive spider died and went legs-up.

So yeah, not one of my favorite episodes. The weird monsters were cool and I'm looking forward to finding out what's up with them, but dammit, give me my Doctor back. Let Jodie *be* the Doctor, not Doctor-by-Committee.
Yep. They gave The Master a wonderful story arc, and a great finish to his character. Bringing him back is a horrible thing.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:44 PM

I thought it was the best episode for this character so far.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:11 AM

Refresh my memory, please. I do remember that Missy was killed by John Simm's Master, and I do remember thinking that it was permanent---no regeneration, no coming back from this one. But I don't remember exactly why I thought so. Was there a reason given for this being a perma-death?

Overall, I liked the episode, but I do agree with some of the criticism---giving all of the companions something to do kinda smothers the narrative, and we need to see some focus on the character of the Doctor sometime soon. She's been shown to have a somewhat more hands-on engineering approach to things, like getting under the 'hood' of the Tardis in this episode, and I like that, but they've not really built on it---this episode in particular, she's seemed sorta helpless when pointing her sonic at things didn't work (with the 'alien spies', or with the bomb on the plane). I'd like to see this engineering bent as really singling her out, being used to outsmart her foes.

Also, while the devotion to an overall Arc has sometimes hurt the individual episodes of a series, I'd like to see some general direction returning.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:25 AM

I didnít really like it, because:

1) Too many companions. One needs to be killed off. This was also a major problem with the last season.

2) Too many lame jokes. Unlike Steven Moffat, who was also a successful sitcom writer before helming Dr. Who, Chris Chibnall just isnít that funny. Also, this TARDIS crew donít really seem to have particularly good comic timing. That said, I did laugh at the ĎSnap!í gag.

3) They brought the Master back too soon. They shouldíve given the character a rest for a few seasons.

5/10
Old 01-03-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Refresh my memory, please. I do remember that Missy was killed by John Simm's Master, and I do remember thinking that it was permanent---no regeneration, no coming back from this one. But I don't remember exactly why I thought so. Was there a reason given for this being a perma-death?
I believe there was dialogue to that effect. But coming back from seeming irrevocable death is kind of the Master's thing. Way back in classic era Who, he reached the end of his regenerations, but kept on living just because. He's stolen bodies from a couple of poor shlubs. He's bargained with the Time Lords for a new set of regenerations. Permanently killing the Master just can't be done, no matter what the dialogue of any given episode might say.

And it's not just the Master, really. How many times, in various comic books and SF series, have we seen "No, he's really truly dead. This time for sure!", and then the character turns up alive again after all. Just roll with it, it's part of the genre.

Okay, here's the embarrassing part of my post. I don't "ship" characters. I find shippers, in general, to be incredibly annoying. I especially don't like the idea of the Doctor having romantic relationships (hated the whole Rose Tyler true love thing).

That said, I am totally shipping the Doctor and Graham.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Okay, here's the embarrassing part of my post. I don't "ship" characters. I find shippers, in general, to be incredibly annoying. I especially don't like the idea of the Doctor having romantic relationships (hated the whole Rose Tyler true love thing).

That said, I am totally shipping the Doctor and Graham.
She has a tough shell but Graham will crack her?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
She has a tough shell but Graham will crack her?
Go to your room and think about what you've done!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 AM

What others have said here is the same for me.
  • Love Jodie as the Doctor. Want her to shine.
  • I don't dislike any of the companions but it's too much as the writers keep using them too much.
  • I want her to be the smartest in the room. The Snap thing, which I didn't recognize, seems to prevent that, not help it.
  • I know they have always had a loose association with science, at best, but not getting any readings really annoyed me. Say it's an unknown configuration. Say she doesn't know why the unstable <technobabble> manages to stay coherent. Say that the readings don't make sense until she does <technobabble> on the sonic. But no readings on something that is visible makes no sense to me.
  • I agree that the big bad was coming back and wanted the previous person in that role. I didn't mind who it was but wasn't done with the previous actor.
  • I guess I keep wanting a mystery from my shows where if you look back, you can see the clues left, instead of a big reveal out of nowhere.

I felt like Moffat wrote great moments but not great stories and never concluded them well. I don't think Calpaldi got anywhere near the scripts he deserved and could have done. Now I'm afraid the same will happen to Jodie.

I'm going to keep watching, of course! But I do have to pick my nits somewhere.

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 01-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
She's been shown to have a somewhat more hands-on engineering approach to things, like getting under the 'hood' of the Tardis in this episode, and I like that, but they've not really built on it---this episode in particular, she's seemed sorta helpless when pointing her sonic at things didn't work (with the 'alien spies', or with the bomb on the plane).
Yes, that's one of the things that bugged me the most about this episode - when she got to the bomb on the plane, it was sonic-proof, and she just kind of threw up her hands and said, "I don't know what to do!"

This Doctor has glimmerings of greatness, but it seems like everybody is afraid to let her really shine.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Piling on ...

Complaint one. They are writing her absent of essential Doctor features. There is alway a bit of arrogance and self-aggrandizement to the character and not only being the smartest in the room but a need to demonstrate it. She is being written as a nice person who things happen to. And the things she does actively do are without any apparent plan. What was the point of being at the party? To play off some Bond tropes maybe but nothing that was a good plan on her part? Of going up to Barton at the party and telling him that you know what he is up to? Just a reason to have a chase scene? The Doctor has reasons.

Complaint two. "Oh no my sonic doesn't work, well then I am at a loss!" is not a Doctor reaction. This Doctor is written like someone who happens to have great technology and is at a loss if the technology fails, not someone whose mind and character are the critical superior tools. (Okay kind of overlaps with one.)

Complaint three. Maybe there's a way to make a team of companions work but they are not doing it. I do NOT want more Companion puppy dog eyes but there needs to a a strong relationship dynamic between the Doctor and ... them .. there. Donna was a great example. This team of companions just isn't delivering fun characters or fun character dynamics.

Complaint four. Missy was too wonderful of a character and her arc too good to piss on like I'm feeling this is doing. I don't care if this is that Missy was able to regenerate again after all or a version that was between regenerations that we have not known existed, let the character rest a bit and be creative enough to come up with a new Big Bad. Missy was too tough of an act to follow so soon.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:55 PM

They're relying on the screwdriver way too much. Everything gets scanned, either like a tricorder to read data or to manipulate objects. It's so damn lazy. The Doctor should be able to work through things with reasoning, logic, and even intuition.

This Doctor still has not exercised her authority or superiority. She doesn't seem to be in control of what's happening. No clever plans, no deception, no watch my left hand as my right hand does this.

They have a damn fine actor in Jodie Whitaker, and they're just wasting her.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Call me shallow, but I believe that the Doctor is supposed to be a badass. I mean, if there's one thing we've learned over the years, it's that in all of space and time, the absolute last person you want to fuck with is the Doctor. They are the Oncoming Storm. And whether it's the writing or the acting, I'm just not getting that from Whitaker.

Take the scene in the runaway car at the beginning, and think how any other Doctor would have handled it. Eccleston, Tennant or Smith would have looked like they were enjoying it just a bit. Capaldi would have looked pissed off. But Whitaker? Whitaker just looked scared. That's not the Doctor.

Last edited by Alessan; 01-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

They are deliberately not making the Doctor the "oncoming storm" because that got unwieldy and a crutch. All of your complaints are also where it went wrong under Davies and Moffat, because the Doctor became a myth instead of a person.

It's not really meant to be a series for the old-school fans, it's moved on and begun again. They're trying to reset for a new generation (and a new regeneration, ha), to give them something to work up from. Start small, develop a dynamic, then explore and expand.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
They are deliberately not making the Doctor the "oncoming storm" because that got unwieldy and a crutch. All of your complaints are also where it went wrong under Davies and Moffat, because the Doctor became a myth instead of a person.

It's not really meant to be a series for the old-school fans, it's moved on and begun again. They're trying to reset for a new generation (and a new regeneration, ha), to give them something to work up from. Start small, develop a dynamic, then explore and expand.
The "oncoming storm" was NuWho, not old-school, and agreed that that got tiresome. These complaints aren't about that.

"Small" would be fine. Small can keep still keep the essential Doctor features. But most of all yes develop the dynamic. I'm missing the dynamic.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The "oncoming storm" was NuWho, not old-school, and agreed that that got tiresome. These complaints aren't about that.
by "old school", the OP clearly meant the Eccleston and Tennant eras.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post

In addition, several of the pre-revival Doctors appeared harmless, diffident, and uncertain at times (see the Second Doctor, the Fifth Doctor and the Seventh in particular). On some days, the Doctor is a badass with a big gun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC_XgL9LiA). Other days, the Doctor is a fool wandering around poking at things. On no day is it safe to disregard what the Doctor is doing...
Old 01-03-2020, 04:59 PM

First of all, nothing at all went wrong under Davis, and the problem with Moffat wasn't the character, it was inability to write a coherent story.

Second of all, I get what your're saying, but they're pushing it wayyy to far in the other direction. It's like making an Indiana Jones movie and having it be about a high school teacher who likes to go antiquing on the weekends.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm ... not watching it very closely, which may be part of the issue.
* I don't mind the focus on the companions or by the team splitting up so that problems are solved divide-and-conquer style. The grandson companion is annoying me as a character.
* I'm also confused on why anyone on Earth notices that they're gone - they have a time machine, they can go back to the point where they left. (I know past Doctors have done it, why not this one? Was that explained sometime when I wasn't quite paying attention)
* I am also missing the arrogance.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
* I'm also confused on why anyone on Earth notices that they're gone - they have a time machine, they can go back to the point where they left. (I know past Doctors have done it, why not this one? Was that explained sometime when I wasn't quite paying attention)
Mainly it's due to the TARDIS being very finicky. For example, all the way back to when Rose was first a companion, he accidentally dropped her off one year after she first left. No one knew what happened to her.

Also, some adventures are on Earth in the present day (just like this one). I don't think they can go back to when the adventure first started; paradoxes and all that.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 PM

My fear is that in a few years people are going to look at this doctor as a failed doctor, and the counter will be, "You didn't like it because the Doctor was a woman." And that's going to be far from the truth.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
My fear is that in a few years people are going to look at this doctor as a failed doctor, and the counter will be, "You didn't like it because the Doctor was a woman." And that's going to be far from the truth.
Just make sure to express it as an opinion instead of an objective truth. "I did not like this Doctor because **reasons**" is much better than "She's crap and I hate her and the stupid way she holds the sonic."
Old 01-22-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
I've thought about this. it would please me if Doctor Who ended for a while without the current Doctor regenerating. then they retcon away the last couple of seasons and pretend that Capaldi regenerated into someone else. that'll never happen because... oh no, sexist! but it would please me because Chibnall doesn't work and neither does Whittaker, at least playing the part in this particular way.

(articles suggesting things like that used to appear in fanzines in the '80's. I guess I've turned into one of those fans who can't stand the current era of Doctor Who.)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:14 AM

Yeah, the thing is, I don't care about the pre-revival Doctor Who. Never seen it, never plan to. Just doesn't interest me. I came aboard with Tennant, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what the character should be.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A problem is, correct me if I'm wrong, this whole season is in the can, and nothing fans and critics say can be reflected in course corrections.

Jodie's West Yorkshire accent is priceless. Everything about her is good and sweet and ever so very hot that a bit of the Oncoming Storm would be powerful. She needs some arrogance on tap.

Didn't recognize Lenny Henry. Miss Missy. Too soon for the return of the Master. Real sick of the Scoobie Gang; not one is interesting enough to save; kill them all.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm watching the first part now(I waited a few days, obviously).

Ugh, why does this Doctor need three freaking companions? It really is(as said above), The Companion Show feature The Doctor.

She is literally the secondary protagonist in her own show. This is about the other three way more than her and I hate it.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I saw both episodes earlier today, during a Fathom Events live broadcast. I liked how the second episode featured two women of the 19th and 20th centuries, both of whom should be better known.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:49 PM

Part two MUCH better. A lot of illogic to overlook but she felt more like The Doctor and the women of history were great. Pacing flowed and she had reasons other than to do the next set piece.

I had half expected her to reach out to 1942 Torchwood.

The Masterís return not being explained is almost as weak as the start of Star Wars ... but fine. And a return to the hunted arc of timeless child.

Still lacking any chemistry between her Companions and either each other or her. Much better with her short term guests. Too bad he wasnít right about them being replaced ...
Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 PM

Forgot that they did sort of obliquely confirm that this Master is came before Missy with him asking The Doctor if he’d ever apologized for whatever and relieved that he had not.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:34 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I liked this one better than the last one - at least the Doctor got to be the Doctor this time. I liked Ada and the other woman whose name I can't remember.

Still sick of the companions. And I really dislike this Master. He has no subtlety at all. But at least the Doctor seems to be back.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:01 AM

I’m liking the new Master. Not as good as Missy, but better than John Simm.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I found this iteration of the Master one of the worst. They turned him into a raving psychopath, when he always was cool and collected. He/she was never one to scream at people so now he's become JABP.*

But the episode was a pretty good one. I guessed who Ada was as soon as her name was mentioned (the "Miss Gordon" was the second giveaway, though it was historically wrong). Still, the Doctor was able to do a lot of doctoring, which made everything pop.

*Just Another Boring Psychopath. <yawn>
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Like others, I liked the second part much more that the first part, mostly because the companions had less to do. A time machine disguised as a house looked really cumbersome; a police call box is bad enough!

I've always liked Jodie Whitaker since her Broadchurch days, and was very pleased to see her get the role.

Did anyone catch who all the computer pioneers were? I recognized Turing, Bill Gates, and Grace Hopper. Who else was there? Does anyone have a good screen shot of that?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Like others, I liked the second part much more that the first part, mostly because the companions had less to do. A time machine disguised as a house looked really cumbersome; a police call box is bad enough!

I've always liked Jodie Whitaker since her Broadchurch days, and was very pleased to see her get the role.

Did anyone catch who all the computer pioneers were? I recognized Turing, Bill Gates, and Grace Hopper. Who else was there? Does anyone have a good screen shot of that?
I only spotted Turing. I must have blinked.

The Doctor made me laugh when she criticized the Master for not bothering to change the appearance of his TARDIS.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Steve Jobs was in there too, I believe.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I found this iteration of the Master one of the worst. They turned him into a raving psychopath, when he always was cool and collected. He/she was never one to scream at people so now he's become JABP.*

But the episode was a pretty good one. I guessed who Ada was as soon as her name was mentioned (the "Miss Gordon" was the second giveaway, though it was historically wrong). Still, the Doctor was able to do a lot of doctoring, which made everything pop.

*Just Another Boring Psychopath. <yawn>
The Master has been a psychopath quite a while - casually murdering people is his thing. The Master's usual mode of operation is to find some phenomenon or group that seems important or powerful, and start fiddling with it/allying with them in the hopes that he ends up on top (see Logopolis, the Matrix, the Cybermen, etc.); in the old days, the Doctor didn't even have to defeat him sometimes - instead, the Master's plans would fall apart so badly that he's have to call the Doctor for help.

Yeah, Ada was obvious.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
The Master has been a psychopath quite a while - casually murdering people is his thing. The Master's usual mode of operation is to find some phenomenon or group that seems important or powerful, and start fiddling with it/allying with them in the hopes that he ends up on top (see Logopolis, the Matrix, the Cybermen, etc.); in the old days, the Doctor didn't even have to defeat him sometimes - instead, the Master's plans would fall apart so badly that he's have to call the Doctor for help.

Yeah, Ada was obvious.
Yes, but he was never a ranter and usually not a shouter. Delgado and Ainley were both subdued; Ainley threatened the entire universe in "Logopolis" with a soft-spoken threat. That's the part that I find tedious; it makes him the same as the Pirate Captain from "The Pirate Planet" without Douglas Adams writing his dialog (also, the Bruce Purchase knew when to tone things down for effect).

It's like the difference between Michael Wisher's Davros and David Gooderson's. Wisher knows when to speak softly; Gooderson shouts from start to finish.

Though I did like the new, improved tissue compression eliminator.

I didn't like the erasing of memories. Too pat a solution to the problems raised.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-06-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post

... I didn't like the erasing of memories. Too pat a solution to the problems raised.
The characters were great but there is little question that they were put into the show as an educational service highlighting some often under-sung heroic and brilliant women of history.

My WAG is that the writers wanted to be very clear that there is no implication in the Whonervise that Lovelace's ideas, or Khan's bravery, were a result of The Doctor's visit.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Again, the grandson companion is an utter moron and should be jettisoned.
Maybe - although have the helpless companion that needs rescue being male is a bit of a change.

I did chuckle over Ryan saying that he could fly an airplane even if he couldn't ride a bicycle.

Quote:
(There was a semi-good reason to leave the phones where they were. There were no good reasons for him to stop Yaz from calling her mother and to stomp on the phone.
Except that Yaz talking to her mom was delaying running for their lives.

Quote:
The later phone call from the public telephone box was the stupid one.)
That was done deliberately to draw the bad guys to them. That's why Graham was out of sight until he needed to start shooting (with lazer shoes... )

Quote:
I liked it well enough - has the Doctor always been able to wipe memories?
Yep.

Not just the Doctor - the Time Lords wiped some of the Doctor's memories about time travel to keep him exiled on Earth during Pertwee's tenure. As well as other instances mentioned.

Quote:
Not to mention that squirrel DNA or cabbage DNA would work just as well.
That might work for the aliens, but not for the Master's purposes. He really does not like humans. And he definitely does this sort of thing to get the Doctor's attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The characters were great but there is little question that they were put into the show as an educational service highlighting some often under-sung heroic and brilliant women of history.
Yeah. I'm OK with that.

Quote:
My WAG is that the writers wanted to be very clear that there is no implication in the Whonervise that Lovelace's ideas, or Khan's bravery, were a result of The Doctor's visit.
And I'm actually thrilled with that - that human beings are capable, inventive, and can do great things without alien intervention.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Again, the grandson companion is an utter moron and should be jettisoned. (There was a semi-good reason to leave the phones where they were. There were no good reasons for him to stop Yaz from calling her mother and to stomp on the phone. Their location was known. All of the data inside the phone was known. That phone call was totally safe as it conveyed no new information to the people who were trying to kill them. The later phone call from the public telephone box was the stupid one.)

I liked it well enough - has the Doctor always been able to wipe memories?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The later phone call from the public telephone box was the stupid one.
That was intentionally designed to trap Barton's henchmen.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM

Okay, explain me this:

The white ghost alien "spies" made a time map of all the people responsible for bringing computer technology to the human race. For what possible reason if all they needed humans for was to use their DNA for data storage drives? Also, an advanced civilization that can re-map human DNA to use for storage can't create a synthetic DNA for storage?? I mean given the inherent flaw in human DNA for mutation, why even bother? Nothing at all made any sense about the entire premise. What am I missing?
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Nothing at all made any sense about the entire premise. What am I missing?
Modern science fiction emphasises the Fiction. You're trying to emphasise the Science. That's a fool's errand these days, my friend.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Also, an advanced civilization that can re-map human DNA to use for storage can't create a synthetic DNA for storage??
Not to mention that squirrel DNA or cabbage DNA would work just as well.