Old 02-04-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Not even when Jack kissed Graham?
I forgot about that bit, so maybe I'm wrong.
Though most of his scenes consisted of Jack by the control panel/console thingy, while the companions stood six to ten feet away. It seemed like weird, stilted blocking to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:06 AM

Latest one was...okay. But since they had the finger flinger, they should have gone all the way and given the other one boob rockets.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:32 AM

I have to say, for the first time, I disappointed in the season. I blame Chibnall, as EP and head writer. I still find a few things I like but it's getting fewer and far between.

I'm so disappointed that I only watched last week's, since we missed it, and didn't want to catch up because of how bad I thought it was. Yes, how they wrote the "other Doctor" in Fugitive of the Judoon was how they should have written Jody. She has shown she can do that, commanding presence but still quirky, and they don't do it for her.

SciFi makes us think, should make us think, and it can be preachy. I don't think Praxeus handled the message well. It was too obvious. Again, I blame the writing. When asked if this was their future, the Doctor could have said they have a choice and they know how powerful one person could be. (Would have been a nice exit for a companion. Ah, well.) I did like seeing Ryan and Yaz being more confident, though.

Maybe tonight we will watch the latest episode.

I can say it's turning me off Chibnall. I don't have any interest in seeing his other shows.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:56 PM

I still have yet to watch part 2 of the season opener, let alone the rest of the season. I just keep reading all these reviews from a variety of sources that make me not want to catch up. I so don't want to be disappointed. So there they sit on my DVR collecting dust.

And dammit, I love Jodie Whitaker!

Last edited by Personal; 02-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
Maybe tonight we will watch the latest episode.
Please do. The Doctor really demonstrates a commanding presence at the end, outsmarting a couple of quasi-Q no less!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, the most recent episode could have been a Troughton story with a few technological changes.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-10-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Please do. The Doctor really demonstrates a commanding presence at the end, outsmarting a couple of quasi-Q no less!
Very, very, very easily defeating them on the first try in the last minutes of the episode.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

They weren't prepared.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Very, very, very easily defeating them on the first try in the last minutes of the episode.
Good ep but yeah too easily solved given the alleged power of the villains. I was expecting some twist on her boredom with eternity as part of the solution.

Was his discussion about The Guardians ( playing on the same board) something that foreshadows?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Good ep but yeah too easily solved given the alleged power of the villains. I was expecting some twist on her boredom with eternity as part of the solution.

Was his discussion about The Guardians ( playing on the same board) something that foreshadows?
The Guardians and the Celestial Toymakers were both mentioned.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM

It started out as a good creepy episode until the weirdly quick and unexplained dispatching of what was presented as a powerful villain. I kept waiting for some twist.

So far this season has had one good episode. The Judoon one. The writing on all the others has been terrible.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 02-10-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:58 AM

I am caught up.

It was better and started out great but as EoD said, it ended quickly and almost easily.

I think there are two main problems that I have with Chibnall's writing.

In the last episode, she's holding something but it doesn't exist. No. Wrong. It's what annoyed me about the opener. If you perceive it, it should exist and be able to be measured. So, the fur/hair that she found? To me, it's really lame that they fall back on "it doesn't exist in the TARDIS databanks" so it doesn't exist. Give us the basic things you have scanned about it and then say it's an unknown configuration. It almost matches A,B, or C but not quite. Or say that even though it looked like E the hair is from F to give the Doctor the clues needed to realize what is going on.

Things keep getting bigger and trying to get higher and higher stakes. And when that does, it loses me. The Doctor is not going to let Earth, much less some bigger area of spacetime, be destroyed. (It's the same trap Moffat fell into with both Doctor Who and the final season of Sherlock.) Give us a good, solid mystery with an old adversary or introduce something on a small scale. Make us care about the extra characters so that if they die, we feel the loss. The extra guy at the lab in Praxeus died and I felt nothing about him being gone or dead. "In 900 years, I have never met anyone who wasn't important." We lose that.

This is the reason that I don't like three companions. I don't feel particularly connected to any of the episodes characters when the companions fill in the gap for all of the guests. With the recent changes in Yaz, I would like her and the Doctor to have their own adventures. Nothing against the other two, but Yaz really stepped up and I liked that. Then we still see Yaz grow, the Doctor can shine, and we get memorable secondary characters that we want to see more about them.

It's like they don't know how to write high level adventures and so have to dumb everything down. But then I feel it dumbs down the Doctor waaaaayyy too much. Further, it dilutes the solution as well. The male god was being very careful ... and then lost all intelligence, assumed he was better, monologued, and was easily trapped. That felt cheap, not worthy of the Doctor. It was play by play the evil villain handbook for failure.

Having said that, I found my usual good things. Overall, the episode was fine. I liked the callbacks to the many adversaries of the past, like eternals, guardians, celestial toymaker, and so on. Until we know what the man is, his scenes were nicely creepy. I did like the animation with explanation of the two rather than just exposition. So, some good things but it's just not there yet.

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 02-15-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
In the last episode, she's holding something but it doesn't exist. No. Wrong. It's what annoyed me about the opener. If you perceive it, it should exist and be able to be measured. So, the fur/hair that she found? To me, it's really lame that they fall back on "it doesn't exist in the TARDIS databanks" so it doesn't exist. Give us the basic things you have scanned about it and then say it's an unknown configuration. It almost matches A,B, or C but not quite. Or say that even though it looked like E the hair is from F to give the Doctor the clues needed to realize what is going on.
it didn't exist because the girl had hallucinated the monster into existence (with the help from Zellin, probably).
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 PM

Today's another good one that avoided the too easy or cliche solution. And a bit more acting range allowed for Whittaker. That said she did less with the opportunity than I had thought she would.

I hope the follow up finale stays at this level or better.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Last night's was pretty good (I guessed who the historical personages would be as soon as they named the location).

I do think they missed a chance. The story should have had far stronger links to Frankenstein. They were tenuous, and only lightly touched on the themes of the novel.

Two things from previous episode.

1. The mysterious new Doctor could be the Rani. It's unlikely Chibnell will go that way, but it fits, and the Rani was willing to impersonate the Doctors companion, so why not the real thing? There's also the Meddling Monk. Neither has shown up in New Who yet.

2. There's some controversy about how the Doctor reacted to Graham relating his fears two weeks ago. I don't see the issue. The Doctor has generally not big on expressing feeling and often merely telling someone your fears is enough to alleviate them. Note, too, that the doctor acknowledged Graham's fears as valid, but showed that she had no idea what to say to him. I was in that position once and could think of nothing to say, but the person who told me thanked me and said I had really helped her.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-17-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 PM

A very Doctor moment, I thought:

Quote:
Sometimes this team structure isnít flat. Itís mountainous with me at the summit, in the stratosphere, alone. Left to choose.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
A very Doctor moment, I thought:
Yeah. That's some classic Time Lord arrogance.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:10 AM

I was trying to think who the Cyberman reminded me of and it finally came to me - Adam from Season 4 Buffy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_(...Vampire_Slayer)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas.com View Post
it didn't exist because the girl had hallucinated the monster into existence (with the help from Zellin, probably).
But, again, it did exist. She could touch it, scan it, see it. It also existed because it killed people. It didn't exist in the TARDIS data banks but why not? That goes back to the readings. It looks like A and B but those don't fit anything known compared to no information at all.

Latest episode.

Not knowing or read Frankenstein, I only saw a few connections and agree maybe it could have been tighter. And I'm not sure that they left it where she was going to write it down?

See, that's the problem at times. If aliens are the reason for human things, then it detracts from humanity and the achievements we have done. I don't think you want that. So, things like this have to handled carefully. I think The Wasp and the Unicorn is a much better example of working a historical figure and what they created into it. If they had already been writing and MS complained about where to go or how to do something, then the adventure could have nudged her without taking away her creativity.

I did enjoy it and yes to the Doctor's arrogance. It is up to her to make the decision. I'm hoping that having the Cyberium in her for a time means that she was able to plant a few things to stop something later. I will see.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming finale.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I was trying to think who the Cyberman reminded me of and it finally came to me - Adam from Season 4 Buffy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_(...Vampire_Slayer)
Yes! I had that thought as well. We did have a Colin Baker's Doctor Cyberman story where people are partially changed and fighting it but can only last so long before they lose. I do think the Cyberman was a reasonable adversary and handled mostly well. Mainly because I'm curious and have more questions. What caused the damage? Is the last one and that's why he needs the Cyberium, to start up the Cyberman again?

And I don't want all of the answers so that he stays a mystery!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post

Two things from previous episode.

1. The mysterious new Doctor could be the Rani. It's unlikely Chibnell will go that way, but it fits, and the Rani was willing to impersonate the Doctors companion, so why not the real thing? There's also the Meddling Monk. Neither has shown up in New Who yet.
I wonder if the new Doctor might be Romana? She hasn't shown up in New Who either.

The trailer for next week's episode showed a character who looked (with dark hair, not red) and sounded like Donna Noble.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but the rules of time travel on Doctor Who (such as they are) never really did include the whole 'careful what you do in the past so as not to erase yourself out of existence', did they?

Also, I want a bit of a moratorium on meeting historical celebrities. '900 years of time and space, and I never met someone who wasn't important. Because I mean, why visit those guys when you've got the who's who in time and space to choose from?'

Other than that, though, I'm very glad that the show's quality has been picking up the second half of this season.

Also, people have been talking about the finale next week, but IMDb shows two more episodes coming up?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM

It's a two part finale.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Really disliked the Shelley one, overwrought, IMHO
Old 03-01-2020, 10:20 PM

Overall the two part finale was satisfying. The actors found their characters better all around. A little annoyed with the ending. And the ending after the ending.

It also left a bit too much hanging for a season finale. I do wonder if any point she [spoiler]hunts for the monument and for where she came from before ...[/quote]
Old 03-02-2020, 07:26 AM

I'm really not sure how I feel about the finale.

I'm happy that they did give an answer to the Master's taunts ("everything you know is a lie") but I feel like it's in a vacuum. Yes, I know Doctor Who and have watched as much as I can but has everyone. And I'm not sure we got much of an origin story in the original run or even NuWho. Other than Rassilon being important, that's about it? (Omega, I suppose.) So, I don't understand how the big reveal was meant to shock the Doctor to her core.

I also felt the melodrama a bit too much. Too much taunting, not enough time for explanations or at least discussing things.

I did like a lot of the episode, though. The companions did well in facing the cyberman. The resolution of the cyberman. I didn't mind the mystery of the other Doctor and leaving that unresolved. Not sure why, but it worked for me.

Really, what tells me if I like a particular season isn't if I watch it because I'm going to watch it once. It's how often I watch it after that.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Also: Cyberlords or Timemen? (Should this be a poll?)
Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I didn't mind the mystery of the other Doctor and leaving that unresolved. Not sure why, but it worked for me.
I think that was resolved. At least it was heavily implied that the other Doctor was a previous (or future, I guess) incarnation from a previous/future set of regenerations (the Doctorís memories being periodically wiped).

What I didnít really get was the whole Irish policeman bit. I got that it was a way for the Doctor to kind of remember a previous set of regenerations. But why that in use that story in particular and, really, what use was it.

OB
Old 03-02-2020, 03:13 PM

I don't really like the concept of The Doctor getting periodically reset. It sort of undermines the character, who always was a bit of a rogue, fiercely independent and opposed to power, but really, they just always had her in their hands, able to apparently reset memories and erase lives at will. It robs her of agency, she isn't in that sense in control of herself anymore. In the end, it makes her a pawn in the machinations of others.

The same goes for the episode as a whole. She basically was subject to forces outside of her control all the time, without really being able to affect anything---or indeed, trying to. The only times something actually happened were when she got help, either from another version of her, or from the old general running in to steal the sacrificial moment. Not to mention that 'I'm gonna blow us all up' doesn't really seem like a satisfyingly Doctor-y conclusion.

It also felt terribly crammed. The Death Particle, the reveal of the Doctor's past, the destruction of Gallifrey, the CyberMasters, the Cyberium bonding with the Master, no wonder there wasn't time for any interesting resolutions to the various conflicts.

I don't know, I just feel this could've been a lot better. Jodi Whittaker clearly has the range to bring depth to the character, but overall, she essentially just never really was given a chance to shine. No really defining moment that I can recall.

But well, it wasn't terrible either, and there were some genuinely fun moments. I hope future series manage to build on that.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

(I'm watching the finale now)

THIS. IS. INSANE.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
What I didnít really get was the whole Irish policeman bit. I got that it was a way for the Doctor to kind of remember a previous set of regenerations. But why that in use that story in particular and, really, what use was it.
Actually, thinking about this a bit more, I guess thereís some thematic/symbolical connections to be made - the Doctor as the policeperson of the universe and the TARDIS stuck as an early 20th C police telephone box.

OB
Old 03-03-2020, 07:18 AM

OB: Okay, good point. If that's the case, that whole sub story needed a better link back to the main story. It didn't work for me.

Ah on the resolution of the (other) Doctor. I'm not sure that works for me.

I guess I'm with HMHW's summary. Too much crammed into it for us to accept without any foreshadowing. I agree it takes away from what the Doctor did. And I agree that Jodie could do it.

This is why I have wanted them to go smaller, not bigger so that they don't step on what has come before. Matt Smith's Doctor said he felt the end of his life. No more regenerations. (One of the great moments by Moffat, in terms of counting the regenerations.) It was a big deal for the Time Lords to give him another set. This cheapens that.

I'm a RPGer and this is what I feel like happened. Chibnell told the actors to go make characters for a fun, breezy, basic campaign. They all go off and do that. Then, Chibnell changes his mind, or he wasn't honest, and creates a series of dark adventures that are big, not the small things they were told. Chibnell then tells them they can't modify their characters. So they all have their personalities and characters fleshed out for a fun game and get put into something completely different. That's how it feels to me.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Oh and destroying Gallifrey, when Jodie's Doctor was trying to find, and doing it off screen, was also cheap, imo. I also have a tough time believing that Rassilon wouldn't squish the Master, given what happened with Tennant's Doctor. Sure, Simm's Master fought it, but he wasn't going to win against the council. He just wanted to show he wasn't going to be used.

That's why I think this Master is the regeneration after Simm's Master, as he's angry and wants revenge on the Time Lords. I'm also got the impression that catching up to the point in the timeline where the Time Lords gave him the constant beating of his hearts would end that. I thought that's how Missy could go for redemption in the first place, because nothing to drive her insane?

But I pick nits and think about things a lot, especially with things I love.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:36 AM

The finale felt to me like the kind of stories Roy Thomas used to sometimes write for Marvel Comics in the 70s. A story that had nothing to do with the characters as they exist in the present day, but served only to fill in backstory. A story whose only purpose was to explain or modify 50-year-old continuity. The problem with those kind of stories is that they only appeal to folks who are deeply into long-term franchise history.

In this case, I'm not sure how much of it was needed, and I object to a lot of its implications. First of all, was there really any need to answer the burning question "How did regeneration start?" Is that really something anyone had been wondering about all these years? Time Lords are aliens, they can do weird stuff. That's all the explanation you need.

That the Doctor was the one who started it all, and has been manipulated into being the universe's watchdog/protector since the early days, seriously undermines the Doctor's character, as Half Man Half Wit says. Rather than the Doctor being a rebel, violating Gallifrey's laws and rejecting its culture because of a fierce desire for justice and a deep-seated hatred of oppression, we now see the Doctor as a mere pawn, doing the Time Lords' bidding the whole time without even realizing it.

And I really don't like the notion of the Doctor as The Chosen One; the one who was special and super-powerful right from the start, set apart since birth from everyone else. The Doctor, in my opinion, works much better as an ordinary person who got fed up with the Time Lords' restrictions and decided one day to make a difference.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
The finale felt to me like the kind of stories Roy Thomas used to sometimes write for Marvel Comics in the 70s. A story that had nothing to do with the characters as they exist in the present day, but served only to fill in backstory. A story whose only purpose was to explain or modify 50-year-old continuity. The problem with those kind of stories is that they only appeal to folks who are deeply into long-term franchise history.

In this case, I'm not sure how much of it was needed, and I object to a lot of its implications. First of all, was there really any need to answer the burning question "How did regeneration start?" Is that really something anyone had been wondering about all these years? Time Lords are aliens, they can do weird stuff. That's all the explanation you need.

That the Doctor was the one who started it all, and has been manipulated into being the universe's watchdog/protector since the early days, seriously undermines the Doctor's character, as Half Man Half Wit says. Rather than the Doctor being a rebel, violating Gallifrey's laws and rejecting its culture because of a fierce desire for justice and a deep-seated hatred of oppression, we now see the Doctor as a mere pawn, doing the Time Lords' bidding the whole time without even realizing it.

And I really don't like the notion of the Doctor as The Chosen One; the one who was special and super-powerful right from the start, set apart since birth from everyone else. The Doctor, in my opinion, works much better as an ordinary person who got fed up with the Time Lords' restrictions and decided one day to make a difference.
Very well said. I didn't need regeneration explained. Further, just like too much alien intervention takes away from human agency, having regenerations from another source takes away from Gallifreyan ingenuity.

The best book I read back in the 80s/90s was speculation on how the Gallifreyans created regeneration. Now, could it have come from someplace else? Sure but when you have a race that already had advanced space travel, time travel, and enemies that it fought back (vampires, daemons, guardians, eternals, and others) how is regeneration asking that much of them to have figured out?

Yes, the Doctor being an unwitting pawn flies in the face of established lore. The second Doctor to the third Doctor was all due his having to ask for help because it was too big. The Doctor's exile on earth. Indeed, it also doesn't make sense because several stories are some Time Lord giving him a mission (Genesis of the Daleks, Brain of Morbius, some third Doctor stories) so was that a different group? The same group? And I can't see every single thing coming from this group. I mean, if they could do that, how did they not stop the Master??

Ugh.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Yeah, that annoyed me, too. There's entirely too many Chosen Ones around these days; the Doctor always was different in the sense that she wasn't chosen, but herself chose to defy convention. Plus, there's an underlying theme of celebrating the ordinary in much of the show ('900 years of time and space, and I've never met anybody who wasn't important')---having the Doctor be born special contravenes that. It's not the classic hero's journey with some capital-D Destiny always guiding the way, but about a person making their own destiny because they decided to do what's right.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:40 PM

I was thinking that the Irish story and The Division were threads to be explored next season.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 AM

Seems like we're due for a reduction in companion count: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...wo-series.html

Both Bradley Walsh (Graham) and Tosin Cole (Ryan) have announced that they will not return to their roles after the Christmas special this year, leaving only Mandip Gill's Yaz as companion. Well, here's to hoping this will facilitate some tighter storytelling.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Seems like we're due for a reduction in companion count: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...wo-series.html

Both Bradley Walsh (Graham) and Tosin Cole (Ryan) have announced that they will not return to their roles after the Christmas special this year, leaving only Mandip Gill's Yaz as companion. Well, here's to hoping this will facilitate some tighter storytelling.
WHAT.

I am not really a Doctor Who fan, and only watch it because of my other half, but Ryan was one of the few things I really enjoyed about this cast of characters.

Bleah
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 AM

Ugh Yaz is the worst. I can’t stand her. I’d have been happy if it were just The Doctor & Graham.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:17 AM

Yaz could have been an interesting character - using her police training to make observations and deductions.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcliffe View Post
WHAT.

I am not really a Doctor Who fan, and only watch it because of my other half, but Ryan was one of the few things I really enjoyed about this cast of characters.

Bleah
I am a Doctor Who fan, and my favorite of the companions by far is Graham. I will miss him if he goes. Ryan is too wooden, and Yaz hasn't really developed a personality.

Maybe the Doc should ditch all three of them and try again with a new one.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I am a Doctor Who fan, and my favorite of the companions by far is Graham. I will miss him if he goes. Ryan is too wooden, and Yaz hasn't really developed a personality.

Maybe the Doc should ditch all three of them and try again with a new one.
Yeah, I was clarifying that I know my opinion doesn't really count.

And I should know better than to get into love/hate companion discussions!
Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM

I cannot stand the actor who currently plays the Master. He does not have the cult leader presence of John Simm or the cold poisonous personality of Michelle Gomez. He looks like some trust fund brat who projects absolutely no menace whatsoever but thinks he does. Regenerate him now.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I cannot stand the actor who currently plays the Master. He does not have the cult leader presence of John Simm or the cold poisonous personality of Michelle Gomez. He looks like some trust fund brat who projects absolutely no menace whatsoever but thinks he does. Regenerate him now.
Oh, I like him, but I think he could have been another Time Lord than the Master and it would have been more effective. I guess not many are out there, but if they can fabricate the negative-number Doctors like they just did, they can fabricate anything.

In fact, trust fund brat is not a bad start. He could have been, much like the Time Lords, arrogant and full-of-themselves and he learned the truth of the Doctor.

I kept looking at my wife saying, "Remember, that's Missy from the last few season."

Old 03-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Oh, I like him, but I think he could have been another Time Lord than the Master and it would have been more effective. I guess not many are out there, but if they can fabricate the negative-number Doctors like they just did, they can fabricate anything.

In fact, trust fund brat is not a bad start. He could have been, much like the Time Lords, arrogant and full-of-themselves and he learned the truth of the Doctor.

I kept looking at my wife saying, "Remember, that's Missy from the last few season."

I despise him. He's creepy and scenery-chewing and has no nuance whatsoever. I liked the actor as Waris Hussein in the movie about the First Doctor, but in this one I just felt like he needed a bath and a nice long nap. He didn't come across as a genius or a world-class schemer as the Master should, but rather as a petulant bully who was pissed because somebody took his toys away.

I do hope he blew up. I know the Master always finds a way to come back, but please, please, get a new actor.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I despise him. He's creepy and scenery-chewing and has no nuance whatsoever. I liked the actor as Waris Hussein in the movie about the First Doctor, but in this one I just felt like he needed a bath and a nice long nap. He didn't come across as a genius or a world-class schemer as the Master should, but rather as a petulant bully who was pissed because somebody took his toys away.

I do hope he blew up. I know the Master always finds a way to come back, but please, please, get a new actor.
Just watched it finally, and yeah, not a fan of the new Master, either. He's so over the top, I assumed that they created the "destroyed Gallifrey" set by letting him chew on it. Granted, John Simm could be hammier than a pig farmer's convention, but he was also good at conveying the woundedness and rage that drove the Master, and made him, if not a sympathetic, then at least a comprehensible villain.
ďIt may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.Ē
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:

I just watched it again with the subtitles on as the music and effects masked some of the dialogue. As the citadel explodes the Master says something like 'quick all of you, through here'. So we probably haven't seen the last of him and his time lord cybermen.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:18 PM

I'm also not quite clear on what the reason is for the timelords to delete the Doctor. Was this a one-time thing, or do they do this periodically? I originally thought the latter, but now I'm not quite sure this was actually intended. But really, why put this whole thing into motion? Why conceal her history from herself?
Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM

The Time Lords aren't supposed to interfere with history. Except for a secret elite squad who are tasked to interfere with history. The things that they do are so secret that they have to occasionally flashy thing each other.