Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

So the interim does it. I'm not willing to assume that a Saturday Night Massacre is beyond the pale. I don't believe there's any level of shame in this administration.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
...Jeff Sessions sense of professional ethics...
I am so glad I was reading this on my iPad. If I had seen this while standing at my workstation Id be wiping coffee off the screen and trying to scrounge a new keyboard! You are truly a dry wit of legendary character.

Stanger
Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Trust me, it's surreal to me, too. But it does appear that one thing is the finger in the dike keeping the Mueller investigation alive. It's not like Trump would get impeached if he actually canned Mueller. The R congress would never have the stones to do it.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
I am so glad I was reading this on my iPad. If I had seen this while standing at my workstation Id be wiping coffee off the screen and trying to scrounge a new keyboard! You are truly a dry wit of legendary character.

Stanger
Jeff Sessions is currently under fire from the President precisely because of his integrity when it comes to how a law should be followed (in this case, the referral of the question of misconduct regarding the FBI and the FISA to the Inspector General). The Attorney General may have a set of political beliefs that you find objectionable, but it's his unwillingness to be corrupt for his boss that stands between the current state of things and the possibility of the federal prosecutorial office being used to do nothing but ferret out and persecute those opposed to the President.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Y'all make fun, sure. But just remember it is only Jeff Sessions sense of professional ethics that keeps Trump from appointing an Attorney General who will scuttle the whole Russia investigation. His recusal protects Mueller.

You guys think if Sessions resigns the first question Trump will ask potential replacements won't be, "So you're gonna shoot that Mueller asshole, right? Right?"
The investigation is so far along that it is too late to fire Mueller, and even if Dotard Very Stable Genius were to do so there are a fair number of State Attorney Generals who will be perfectly happy to hire the man to pursue the same investigation. Given that Mueller and the State of New York are already cooperating on the Manafort case, it wouldn't surprise me if NYAG Schneiderman doesn't have a contract with Bob Mueller's name in all the right spaces... just waiting for a signature... in his metaphorical desk drawer.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Trust me, it's surreal to me, too. But it does appear that one thing is the finger in the dike keeping the Mueller investigation alive. It's not like Trump would get impeached if he actually canned Mueller. The R congress would never have the stones to do it.
Ryan and McConnell arent going to take action to impeach or remove Trump regardless of what Mueller finds. Trump has been correct about exactly one thing; he could literally shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight, and his suppoters, including a majority of Republicans currently in control of both houses of Congress, would give him a pass.

Jeff Sessions may feel that he has some kind of ethical qualms about this particular issue but overall hes about as ethical as a con man in a Jim Thompson novel. His flatly lying in his confirmation hearings has clearly demonstrated his (lack of) commitment to professional ethics. That hes even slightly defiant of Trump (probably more for wanting to distance himself from the inevitable fallout) is not a cause of grand applause and celebration.

Stranger
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
But the first question asked in the toady's confirmation hearing would be "would you fire the Special Counsel?" All it would take would be two Republican defections to scuttle the appointment of someone willing to kill the investigation.
But Trump can appoint a temporary replacement for 210 days without Senate approval from the pool of anyone who has been previously approved for any position in his administration via the Federal Vacancies Reform Act.

So he just needs to make one of his other inept administration toadies head of the Justice Department long enough to fire everyone.

Last edited by Jophiel; 03-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
... That hes even slightly defiant of Trump (probably more for wanting to distance himself from the inevitable fallout) is not a cause of grand applause and celebration. ...
It's more a sign of how far the bar has been lowered that even this tiny demonstration of any ethics at all is notable.

The prospect that such Senate inaction to egregious abuses of power could be reasonably expected to occur also gives me a sad realization of how limited our set of checks and balances actually are.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Possibly, but not in a way that HELPS you. #StupidStupidWatergate
The Worst and the Stupidest!

(Garry Trudeau hadn't seen nothin' yet.)
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
... She's under criminal investigation, she lost her boyfriend, her boyfriend was revealed to be a two-time wife beater, and she's got her boss/sugar daddy pressuring her to do whatever it takes to keep him out of jail.
I suppose that it's not inconceivable that she was fired, but I suspect she's just decided that the sugar ain't sweet enough.
Nothing wrong with your analysis of Hicks' possible reasoning. But I believe we'll eventually learn that she was fired, and that it was a John Kelly operation from start to finish (as was the crescendo of revelations that resulted in Jared Kushner losing his interim security clearance.)

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 03-02-2018, 08:05 PM

So he answers: "Only for cause". Can't argue with that response. On his first day on the job, he finds cause.

Honestly, I think she decided they aren't paying enough to put up with 8 hours of congressional testimony. Even if she pled executive privilege to every question.