Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Obama was decidedly NOT a crook. Not a whisper of personal, financial, political, historical, or international scandal. But that didn't/doesn't stop the Pubs from hating him. Oh, yeah. Black. That's certainly a crime.
Yep. That's pretty much it. Oh, and he actually cared about people. Not just rich white guys. That seems to be a problem too.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Hire opposition research agencies to check your own candidate and if they come out clean, then run them. If they don't then don't.
Practice what you preach.
  1. Richard Nixon - Quit when faced with impeachment
  2. Albert Fall - Bribery. Served two years
  3. Andrew J. Hinshaw - Accepting bribes. Served 1 year.
  4. Bernard Kerik - Tax Fraud and Lying to the Federal Government. Sentenced to 4 years.
  5. Bill Janklow - Second-Degree Manslaughter. Sentenced to 100 days.
  6. Brian J. Doyle - Seducing a Girl on the Internet. Sentenced to 5 years.
  7. Donald E. "Buzz" Lukens - Bribery and Conspiracy.
  8. Caspar Weinberger - Perjury and Obstruction of Justice.
  9. Catalina Vasquez Villalpando - Obstruction of Justice and Tax evasion.
  10. Charles R. Forbes - Bribery and Corruption. Sentenced to 2 years.
  11. Charles W. Colson - Obstruction of Justice.
  12. David Durenberger - Misuse of Public funds.
  13. Deborah Gore Dean - Perjury, Conspiracy, Bribery. Sentenced to 21 months.
  14. Duke Cunningham - Conspiracy to commit Bribery, Mail fraud, Wire fraud and Tax evasion. Sentenced to over 8 years.
  15. Dwight L. Chapin - Perjury
  16. Elliott Abrams - Withholding Evidence.
  17. Ernest K. Bramblett - False statements in connection with Payroll padding and Kickbacks
  18. George V. Hansen - Failing to file out Disclosure Forms. Served 15 months.
  19. H. R. Haldeman - Perjury
  20. J. Irving Whalley - Staff Salary kickbacks and Threatening an Employee. Suspended sentence of 3 years.
  21. J. Parnell Thomas - Salary fraud. Sentenced to 18 months.
  22. James F. Hastings - Kickbacks and Mail fraud.
  23. James G. Watt - Perjury and Obstruction of Justice.
  24. Jay Kim - Illegal Campaign contributions. Sentenced to two months House arrest.
  25. Jeb Stuart Magruder - Conspiracy.
  26. Jesse Helms - Voter Caging.
  27. John Ehrlichman - Perjury
  28. John N. Mitchell - Perjury
  29. Lester Crawford - Conflict of Interest. Sentenced 3 years of Suspention.
  30. Martin B. McKneally - Failing to file Income tax return.
  31. Oliver North - Iran Contra
  32. Pat Swindall - Perjury.
  33. Richard Kelly - Bribery and Corruption. Served 13 months.
  34. Thomas W. Miller - Fraud for selling valuable German patents and Bribery. Served 18 months.
  35. Tom DeLay - Money Laundering. Sentenced to three years, and K Street.
  36. Spiro Agnew - Tax Fraud. and misappropriating (stealing) money for "home improvements"
  37. William Heaton - Federal Conspiracy.
  38. J. Steven Griles - Obstruction of Justice. Sentenced to 10 months.
  39. Joseph A. Strauss - Accepting Payments.
  40. Lewis Libby - Perjury and Obstruction of Justice. Sentenced to 30 months.
  41. Phillip D. Winn - Bribery.
  42. Rita Lavelle - Misused "superfund' monies and Perjury. Served 6 months.
  43. Robert E. Coughlin - Accepting bribes.
  44. Thomas Demery - Bribery and Obstruction.
  45. William Casey - Iran-Contra
  46. Jack Abramoff - K Street scandal
  47. Mario Biaggi- Federal official bribery and gratuity, mail fraud, Hobbs Act, and RICO
  48. Duke Cunningham - Mail fraud and federal official bribery
  49. John Jenrette - ABSCAM, bribery
  50. Richard Kelly - Federal official bribery, conspiracy to defraud the United States, and Travel Act
  51. David Rivera - Under investigation by the FBI and the IRS for multiple money laundering and tax evasion schemes.
  52. Harold Rogers - Used his position as the Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee to steer millions of dollars in earmarks to a local manufacturing company in exchange for campaign contributions.
  53. Vern Buchanan - Coercing contributions, conduit contributions, excessive contributions, corporate contributions, witness tampering, obstruction of agency proceedings, bribery of a witness, false statements of personal financial disclosure forms, tax evasion
  54. Cliff Stearns - Directing public money to his wife, misusing official congressional resources for a campaign, and also improperly using House proceedings on campaign materials
  55. Don Young - earmarking transportation funds to a campaign donor, using campaign funds for personal expenses, and neglecting to disclose gifts from lobbyists. The FBI has launched investigations into Rep. Young's "systemic abuse" of his position.
  56. Ron Paul - Sought double travel reimbursements for expenses
  57. Darrell Issa - Publicized a letter containing specific and extensive details regarding a wiretap application, potentially in violation of a number of federal laws.
  58. Newt Gingrich - Claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes, providng false information to investigators, fraudulent nonprofits
  59. Roy Moore - Racist and pedophile

I haven't even touched on Trump and his countless lawsuits, frauds, vrey convenient bankruptcies, and all the Russian money laundering that propped him up in the real estate biz, or Scott Pruitt who just "quit", etc etc etc. Or any of the most current crop. Do I need to continue????
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Politics is the art of the possible.

Voting for candidates who have no chance of winning is not helping. You're not sending a message, you're not encouraging a real political movement. You're just throwing sand in your eyes and hoping it'll catch on.
I assume that you're talking about the Johnson vote.

Sure, I was probably going to lose out on my mission. But Trump is 4 years of bad. Wahhabism has screwed over the Middle East for the last century. Trump do stupid. Fundamentalism do evil.

The steady movement towards full takeover of the Republican party by the religious right is scary close. There are still enough free market politicians and "play the rubes if it gets you in power" politicians in the Republican party that, for example, I'm somewhat hopeful that we can trust that neither Gorsuch nor Kavanaugh would overturn Roe v Wade, because the free market types are too libertarian to go for it (regardless of what they say on the campaign trail) and the pure slimeballs know what the polls say. But people don't even remember that it was Republican Supreme Court Justices who passed Roe v Wade. We've all come to accept that the Republican party is and always has been the party of Fundamentalist Christians. The future where we are not safe is, potentially, only an election or two away.

Now, people like to spot trends.

The best polling data (i.e. fivethirtyeight) suggested that Trump had a 1 in 3 chance of winning. Most likely Clinton would become the President.

Now that Trump did win, everyone and their brother is telling you that it was written in stone and the election really all came down to factory workers in the Rust Belt and so on. Maybe that's true, but all the places that Trump won are the same places that Republicans won for House Representatives. All the places that Trump lost are the same places where there are Democratic House Representatives. You could just as well explain Trump's presidential victory by saying that only the partisans cared enough to vote in the 2016 election, so it was all straight party votes across the country and the result was just a matter of which party had geography (e.g. gerrymandering) in their favor.

That's not the story that we are left with from the 2016 election, though. A particularly story came out that it was the Rust Belt, and that's the story that everyone is running with, campaigning with, and tailing their platform to in 2018. Everyone wants to see to the Rust Belt.

Maybe the Rust Belt theory is correct. Maybe it's not. Maybe there's a different group that everyone could go after who would be an even better catch and easier to grab, but because everyone takes the first plausible hypothesis that comes out and runs with it, that angle will be completely missed.

If Hillary Clinton had won in 2016, as the smart bettor would have gambled, the Republican party would be looking for a reason why. And someone would offer a story. If that story was, "Hey look, the Libertarian people did amazingly well this year! They must have taken all of the Republican voters who were getting turned off by the religious right!" Then you can bet your britches that 2018 would be all about trying to tailor the party platform to free markets and weed. And that would move the party away from the religious right.

A different story might have come out instead, and I can't do anything about that.

If I had lived in a place that was red, I would have voted for Clinton, because that does more to prevent Pence from getting near the Presidency than trying to boost Libertarianism. But, given where I did live, I had the freedom to work on the fallback strategy.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-15-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Practice what you preach.
Unless you think I voted for one of those people, I'm not sure what your point is.

I said don't vote for crooks. That includes all of those people, including Trump.

If everyone followed my advice, Trump wouldn't have made it past the primaries.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Dude, just stop. Your rationalizations are bullshit. The Libertarians are merely the perfect example of white privilege run amok, especially when giving a vote to them in 2016.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Dude, just stop. Your rationalizations are bullshit. The Libertarians are merely the perfect example of white privilege run amok, especially when giving a vote to them in 2016.
So, your opinion would be that Clinton should NOT have campaigned more in the Rust Belt?

One popular bit of wisdom is that, since she campaigned in mostly blue states, she ended up winning the popular vote, but wasting all of those extra votes. Winning California safely and winning California by a landslide are both the same thing so far as the Electoral College is concerned, so going there, campaigning like hell, and adding a bonus two million California votes to your tally is just stupid and a waste of time. It doesn't change the result any.

Clinton didn't follow that advice, and that was dumb. Her failure to take into account "safe votes" lead to the Trump presidency.

So even though that is, quite possibly, a genuine cause of the Trump presidency, you're telling me that I should have done the same as Clinton and added a +1 to a solid blue state vote, rather than spend it on something more useful?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Unless you think I voted for one of those people, I'm not sure what your point is.

I said don't vote for crooks. That includes all of those people, including Trump.

If everyone followed my advice, Trump wouldn't have made it past the primaries.
That is so wrong. By throwing away your vote, you LET Trump win. You voted for a vote splitting loser. You threw away your vote. On a loser. That helps Trump.

And Trumpy fly-over states that don't matter? Those are the very states that swung the final Electoral count. Here's a clue. The states with the most voters - i.e. California and New York actually get fucked by the Electoral College. Our individual votes are worth LESS than some Clinton hating fascist sheep fucker in Montana. Because ... wait for it ... Electoral College. So yeah, the votes that "don't matter" carry more weight than mine.

But you refuse to see it.

Last edited by SteveG1; 07-15-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Relitigating the 2016 election is both a hijack of the thread, and counter-productive with regards to fixing the current situation.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Relitigating the 2016 election is both a hijack of the thread, and counter-productive with regards to fixing the current situation.
Point taken.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
They may not be. But why not choose someone who doesn't seem to ping the radar of law enforcement and the press? The Wall Street Journal has no evidence that Donald Trump launders money, but they present reasonable documentation that his finances look like those of others who have been convicted of laundering money and do not look like those of someone who doesn't. It's not conclusive, but at the same time when you're a woman out dating and there are rumors going around that Bob beat up his ex, it makes sense to turn down Bob when he asks you out. There are several billion men on the planet who don't have such rumors going around about them, so why not date one of them?

Why take the risk?

Like I said, there's 100,000,000 Democrats in the country. It is not Hillary Clinton or bust. If she's innocent then that is unfortunate, but there's a whole lot of serious and trustworthy people - James Comey included - who seem to get the oogy boogies from the Clintons. That's reason enough to date elsewhere.
Would you cut the crap with these sorts of silly analogies?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Edit: JSC is right. Never mind.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-15-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
That is so wrong. By throwing away your vote, you LET Trump win. You voted for a vote splitting loser. You threw away your vote. On a loser. That helps Trump.

And Trumpy fly-over states that don't matter? Those are the very states that swung the final Electoral count. Here's a clue. The states with the most voters - i.e. California and New York actually get fucked by the Electoral College. Our individual votes are worth LESS than some Clinton hating fascist sheep fucker in Montana. Because ... wait for it ... Electoral College. So yeah, the votes that "don't matter" carry more weight than mine.

But you refuse to see it.
Again, this goes to my original point.

You and JohnT are voting on the basis of fear and partisanship, not on the basis of reason. If you and JohnT did not vote and the Republican versions of you and JohnT did not vote, then the world looks like an entirely different place. I'm talking about the election system on Mars and we're voting for Martians, so far as visualizing this goes. You need to wrap your brain around how different the world would look, first, before getting all testy.

Like I said, on Mars, Trump and Clinton would never be candidates. People who are reasonable would never have accepted either of them into the election.

Coming back to my second point, I accept that I do not live on Mars. And I accept that depending on the Martian strategy is bound to fail because reasonable people are outnumbered and unreasonable people continue to vote.

Here on Earth, reasonable people are very constrained in our ability to affect the system when it comes to popular voting systems.

But, using reason, one can do better than a person who runs purely on fear.

Yes, if I was operating on fear then voting for Clinton, despite living in a solid blue state makes sense. Not mathematical sense, but it makes sense in terms of that I'd not be able to prevent myself and I'd feel panicked about the idea that someone else hadn't voted the exact some way. If I lived on Mars and was a Martian and yet, despite that, the options were still only Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, then it would make the most sense to vote for Hillary Clinton because there's no reason to vote for Donald Trump in a land of all reasonable people. There's no strategy to game the system for a better outcome.

But I don't operate on fear and I don't live on Mars. My state will vote for Hillary Clinton. All of the electoral college points are going to her. There's zero doubt on that. There's zero doubt that there are enough people thinking like me to change that. Hillary Clinton will be our state's choice in the Presidency.

As someone who is not blind to fear and who can do that math, it would serve zero purpose to vote for Hillary Clinton. She's a lock-in. The sole and only reason to vote for her would be out of irrationality.

That you believe that there must be some magic pathway whereby I could have made my state have a bonus electoral vote is nonsense. That's not how the Electoral College works.

While yes, asking partisan people to not vote is also talking about magic and wishful thinking, that was a Pitting, not an actual belief that such a thing could happen. Believing that it could happen or acting in a way that assumed that such a thing could happen would be irrational and silly.

I'm not going to trust that partisan idiots will stop voting. Why are you trusting that there's some magic that could defeat the Electoral College?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

If... assuming... %'s pulled out of nowhere...

Prettt strong argument, guy.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Hire opposition research agencies to check your own candidate and if they come out clean, then run them. If they don't then don't.
Are you of the opinion that the Democratic Party has a say in who runs?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Ya know Sage Rat, some children wish for ponies. Good luck with that.

It was KNOWN long ago that trump is a corrupt moron. He is what needed to be beaten with any means necessary. No, I don't particularly like Clinton. But it would have been much better than the situation that we find ourselves in.

Unless, I suppose if you would prefer civil war?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 PM

I only voted for Clinton because I lived in Michigan and the polling showed a non-negligible chance of Trump winning it. I would have voted for Johnson if the polls had been a bit more in Clinton's favor for the same reason as Sage Rat. It's more important to me to boost the profile of another party than it is to tighten the noose around the neck of an already dead body. I even voted for Kasich in the primary because I wanted to do all I could to defeat Trump. Voting for Clinton in a state she was going to win anyway is pointless when you can send a real message by voting for another party that needs more public support.

That's not to say that I like the Libertarian Party very much, but I think it's the best hope of a real third party, and it can draw people from both sides of the aisle. Why it's always thought that it's right-wingers that are more libertarian I don't know - I was brought up with liberal beliefs about the brotherhood of all nations, but not so much the transfer of wealth between classes. I'm not a anti-government person at all, but libertarians (note small "l") are closer to me idealogically on many issues than Democrats, enough so that I don't vote for Democrats unless it's close or it simply doesn't matter (like Wayne State U Board of Governors and U of Michigan Board of Regents - why are we voting on these?).

But, ahem, that has nothing to do with the Mueller investigation.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 PM

The thick plottens.
Quote:
LONDON — The same Russian military intelligence service now accused of disrupting the 2016 presidential election in America may also be responsible for the nerve agent attack in Britain against a former Russian spy — an audacious poisoning that led to a geopolitical confrontation this spring between Moscow and the West.
https://nyti.ms/2NTsGJo
Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I pretty much assumed Russian intelligence was involved.

Last edited by davidm; 07-15-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Karla wouldn't have got caught.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
My apologies if it's already been mentioned, but I also found paragraph 70 pretty interesting (well, scary actually): Russia operatives have officially been charged with trying to hack into voter systems in an attempt to steal voter data. According to the indictment, they stole information on approximately 500,000 voters. It doesn't say where voters were from, but it goes on to say that they tested voting systems in Georgia, Iowa, and Florida for vulnerabilities.
Georgia, you say? Well, a quick look at the voting data should indicate if there were any irregularities oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Hoping for an R. Budd Dwyer myself.
Dude. Yuck.

Besides, I don't want anyone dying themselves out of their deserved public humiliation and subsequent incarceration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
No shit. So the Clintons were guilty of "extreme shadiness". What does that even mean? Because they've been smeared for a quarter century, that means there's something to it? It's like if you're on a plane and the choice is fish or steak- if you ask for lasagna you're not going to get it. Every election the choice is between two people with a chance to be president. Voting for someone with no chance voids your ability to defeat the greater evil, or in the past case, the greatest evil ever to inhabit the nation.
"Shady" is probably a reasonably accurate description of the Clintons - a lot of backroom wheeling and dealing that may violate the spirit of the electoral process while taking care to stay just on the right side of the line of the letter of the law. But if they're "shady" then most successful politicians are, and despite over two decades of investigations no one has yet to demonstrate that they've gone beyond "shady" into "openly corrupt" in the way that the current crop of Republicans have.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 AM

If the only thing that you knew was what is going on right this second, that the president who is under investigation for colluding with the Russians was meeting with the Russian leader and he absolutely insisted that meeting happen with no witnesses, you would be suspicious as hell.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
If the only thing that you knew was what is going on right this second, that the president who is under investigation for colluding with the Russians was meeting with the Russian leader and he absolutely insisted that meeting happen with no witnesses, you would be suspicious as hell.
Tut, tut, consenting adults should be allowed some privacy.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Is one of them asking for asylum?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Why can't they hold hands in public like Bush?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
It's between him, Putin, and the doctor who treated his patella-bone spurs.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
If you can think of a simpler way of exchanging long protein strings, I'd like to hear it!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Not sure what you're saying here - Trump has admitted to grabbing those, but not in public.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM

I know it's old news, but I'm watching Gohmert question Strzok. It is so sad that 38% of Americans see no fault in despicable scumbags like this. It begins with misleading questions that Gohmert never lets Strzok fully answer. Then the nauseating asshole starts insulting Strzok. Fireworks erupt at the 4:00 mark when Gohmert calls Strzok a liar. When objections were raised, the Chairman (Gowdy?*) always replied, in effect, "No disgusting pile of shitty lies and hatred is out of order if it's directed against people who supported Hillary."

(* - or an acting Chair? The voice didn't sound like Gowdy's.)

Give the Chairman credit for one thing however. After Gohmert's time was up and Strzok given a chance to comment on the pile of shit, Gohmert chimed in with the idea that since he hadn't ended on a question, the witness was not allowed to speak in response. Chairman gave Strzok a few seconds (7:33 to 7:58) to respond to the filth, but when Gohmert interrupted to inject more filth, Chairman silenced both. He later gave Strzok another 20 seconds to answer a specific lie by Gohmert; Gohmert interrupted again.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM

NRA member and gun rights advocate, Russian national Maria Butina, has been arrested for working as an agent for Russia.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0e7c958fe56b2?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Maria Butina: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know includes the .pdf of the criminal complaint.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
NRA member and gun rights advocate, Russian national Maria Butina, has been arrested for working as an agent for Russia.
Another law enforcement job well done. Go, DOJ and FBI!!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

So ... Positive Gun News?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM

Did you hear about Putin's "incredible offer" to Trump?
Quote:
President Donald Trump said Monday that Russian President Vladimir Putin privately made an “incredible offer” to help American investigators in their prosecution of 12 Russian intelligence officers accused of hacking crimes during the 2016 presidential election.

“He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 people,” Trump told reporters during a news conference in Helsinki following his joint summit with Putin. “I think that’s an incredible offer, OK?”
Are you fucking kidding me? They're flaunting it across the world.. what are we going to do about it?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I read the indictment and posted about it over in the non-Pit thread. She literally wrote to Republican activist Paul Erickson that she was trying to set up a back channel between Trump and the Kremlin. In writing, she said this. The Republicans, the Christian group organizing the Prayer Breakfast, the NRA... all of them were in on it.

And, just for giggles, here's Butina sharing a moment with former NRA President and Lon Chaney cosplay champion Wayne Lapierre: https://twitter.com/AndrewZucker/sta...55495779065857

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 07-16-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I read the indictment and posted about it over in the non-Pit thread. She literally wrote to Republican activist Paul Erickson that she was trying to set up a back channel between Trump and the Kremlin. In writing, she said this. The Republicans, the Christian group organizing the Prayer Breakfast, the NRA... all of them were in on it.

And, just for giggles, here's Butina sharing a moment with former NRA President and Lon Chaney cosplay champion Wayne Lapierre: https://twitter.com/AndrewZucker/sta...55495779065857
This is going to be very big, once we get tired of watching and discussing Trump's careful attentions to Putin's posterior.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
This is going to be very big, once we get tired of watching and discussing Trump's careful attentions to Putin's posterior.
Kind of like how Watergate uncovered a whole raft of sleazy and corrupt behavior, the history of l'affaire Trump may include some really weird and crazy stuff. Like, how it turned out that the NRA was a money-laundering front for Russian oligarchs.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Kind of like how Watergate uncovered a whole raft of sleazy and corrupt behavior, the history of l'affaire Trump may include some really weird and crazy stuff. Like, how it turned out that the NRA was a money-laundering front for Russian oligarchs.
You're right; I certainly would never have predicted that one.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 07-16-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
... Russian national Maria Butina, has been arrested for working as an agent for Russia...
Overheard at gun show:

"So, which is best for killing moose and squirrel?"
Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post

Yes, this is going to be a big deal.

I wonder if Trump will pardon her.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 AM

When people ridiculed Quayle (argued with a 3rd-grader about how to spell 'potatoes') or Ford (can't walk while chewing gum) I was the guy saying "Wrong! You don't rise that high if you're an imbecile."

I've changed my view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Did you hear about Putin's "incredible offer" to Trump?
Quote:
President Donald Trump said Monday that Russian President Vladimir Putin privately made an “incredible offer” to help American investigators in their prosecution of 12 Russian intelligence officers accused of hacking crimes during the 2016 presidential election.

“He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 people,” Trump told reporters during a news conference in Helsinki following his joint summit with Putin. “I think that’s an incredible offer, OK?”
Are you fucking kidding me? They're flaunting it across the world.. what are we going to do about it?
Either Trump is an imbecile or his base is mostly imbeciles. Or (my bet) both.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Overheard at gun show:

"So, which is best for killing moose and squirrel?"
You generally want different guns - moose requires rather large caliber power to provide enough stopping power. Angry moose is very bad.

Squirrel does not require such large gun. Little squirrel plus big bullet equals big mess. Best to use leetle gun.

Most best to not kill Squirrel.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Two things I'll mention because I haven't yet seen them mentioned:

1. Maddow noted last night on her show that pretrial motions in Manafort's case before Judge Ellis (the Virginia case) were postponed for a week. The judge is known for moving his docket along at a painful pace, so his willingness to postpone is... noteworthy.

2. Rod Rosenstein was just seen leaving the White House a few minutes ago. Another briefing about Coming Attractions?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
2. Rod Rosenstein was just seen leaving the White House a few minutes ago. Another briefing about Coming Attractions?
VICE is on it but has no answers.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Two things I'll mention because I haven't yet seen them mentioned:

1. Maddow noted last night on her show that pretrial motions in Manafort's case before Judge Ellis (the Virginia case) were postponed for a week. The judge is known for moving his docket along at a painful pace, so his willingness to postpone is... noteworthy.

Question on your first point: Painful, as in fast? Or painfully slow?

And a link on your second point: From Raw Story.

It's at moments like this that I can't help but think...
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm willing to believe it's just a regularly scheduled meeting that Rosenstein routinely attends. I don't see any basis to assert Rosenstein was "summoned" as stated by Hans Nichols. Of course he might have been, but I just didn't see why Nichols put it like that.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Question on your first point: Painful, as in fast? Or painfully slow?
Painfully fast. Examples: Manafort's motion for a continuance to better prepare his case was denied, as was the prosecution's request for a 3-week time estimate for trial. The judge seemed disgruntled to give them 2 weeks and said from the bench that he felt the case should be able to be tried in 1 week. (!!!)

Sorry; I should have made that clear.

LOL on your doggie link.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
It's at moments like this that I can't help but think...
Quote:
LOL on your doggie link.
I prefer the internet's original: Drama Prairie Dog.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM

There are Republican congressmen on CNN this morning questioning whether Trump is compromised.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Interesting Tim Dickenson tweet thread about Butina and her contacts with the GOP over the past 7 years, including the revelation that John Bolton recorded a video for her in 2013.

https://twitter.com/7im/status/1018984251721543680?s=19
Old 07-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Every time we look up we see more Trumpy Wumpy "friends" and administration members with ties to Russia and Russian businesses. Now he "misspoke" for 20 minutes. Is there enough to start with on the investigation yet?