Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
To be fair, both Cassel and the Browns have done significantly worse without Bill.
Heh the Browns couldn't stop stepping on their own dicks if they were strung up to their necks. Notice I also said and the Pats organization.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM

Considering that “fan” is short for “fanatic”, I am going to suggest that any criticism of [other team's] fans is fair game and they should be willing to take it. Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
She makes more than he does.
This isn't a small thing, either. Her net worth is twice as much as his, and together they're worth over half a BILLION dollars. He is in an entirely different stratosphere than the rest of the NFL thanks to his wife. He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Considering that “fan” is short for “fanatic”, I am going to suggest that any criticism of [other team's] fans is fair game and they should be willing to take it. Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
Unless it's on a Pink Floyd album, and then it works out okay.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
This isn't a small thing, either. Her net worth is twice as much as his, and together they're worth over half a BILLION dollars. He is in an entirely different stratosphere than the rest of the NFL thanks to his wife. He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
What does she have to do with it? Even without her, he’d still be absurdly wealthy with cap friendly contracts and endorsements.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
Any other star player can do the same if they want; restructuring their deals by stretching out payments long into the future. It is no secret that it lets Brady have better teammates than stars whose agents have get-it-all-now mentalities. One of the raps against Peyton Manning, for instance, is that his contract demands kept his Colts teams from being as competitive as the Patriots - and that only shows that his desires were balanced more toward money and less toward championships than Brady's have been. Nothing wrong with that, it's a different set of values, that's all. It's understandable in an environment where salary is seen as a score in a game, and the bigger the number the better you are as a player in that game.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Any other star player can do the same if they want; restructuring their deals by stretching out payments long into the future.
Wait, is this what Brady's doing? I thought he was just taking an under-market deal. Furthermore, I know that signing bonuses cannot be pro-rated over a period longer than five years, and I believe that all guaranteed money attaches against the salary cap in the year the player retires/is cut. You don't see any Bobby Bonilla-type deals in the NFL.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM

They have a deal where the Patriots will be carrying Brady's grandchildren on IR until the contract is paid off.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

The restructurings he's done could certainly involve arrangements outside the purview of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The restructurings he's done could certainly involve arrangements outside the purview of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Nights with his wife?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
... Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
Agreed. Preferably at least to the other side of Stanley Park.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
It's true, Eagles fans are the worst by any measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Quantify those "measures"?
Hey, maybe you're right. There must be some measures by which Eagles fans aren't the worst, right? And we could save time by listing those, instead of the ways they are the worst, but it wouldn't be as much fun. So let's check out the Vast Anti-Eagles Fans Media Conspiracy for some clues:

Philadelphia Sports Fans Voted Worst in America by GQ Magazine
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...by-gq-magazine

MOST HATED FAN BASE: EAGLES
https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/23/nf...k-percy-harvin

10 times Philadelphia fans were truly the worst
http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/...flyers#slide-1

We don't have all day, though, so this quote will have to suffice:

Quote:
Over the years, Philadelphia fans have booed Santa Claus, their own star players and, most absurdly, the recipient of America's very first hand transplant, whose crime was dribbling in a ceremonial first pitch—thrown with his freshly transplanted hand. Boooo! Admittedly, there are some things fans have cheered. Like Michael Irvin's career-ending neck injury and a fan being tased on the outfield grass. Things reached their nadir last season, when Citizens Bank Park played host to arguably the most heinous incident in the history of sports: A drunken fan intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Well, that movie that Jennifer whatsername won an Oscar for portrayed the male character as an Eagles fan of a most pathetic stripe. Since then, I have come to view all Eagles fans as being like that. Always whining and trembling over the Seahawks, it would seem.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well, that movie that Jennifer whatsername won an Oscar for portrayed the male character as an Eagles fan of a most pathetic stripe. Since then, I have come to view all Eagles fans as being like that. Always whining and trembling over the Seahawks, it would seem.
Watch Invincible. Damn good football movie, and generally an accurate representation of Philly fans.

Yep, I saw Vince Papale play, back when.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Watch Invincible. Damn good football movie, and generally an accurate representation of Philly fans.

Yep, I saw Vince Papale play, back when.
You really liked it? I thought it was meh, like a Rudy wannabe movie but for the pros. Papale’s story is a good one, however.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You really liked it? I thought it was meh, like a Rudy wannabe movie but for the pros. Papale’s story is a good one, however.
I liked the gridiron stuff, the POV of players on the field...and also the subplot involving Dick Vermeil. He was as much an underdog as Papale was. Greg Kinnear's pretty good when he's not doing over-the-top comedy.

(I was an Eagles fan back then, mostly because of the underdog thing; same with the Pats when Pat the Patriot was on the helmet. I always hated the 'Boys and Vikes, though; it seemed every year they'd beat my Rams in the playoffs. Also, the America's Team thing rubbed me completely the wrong way.)

Finally, I'm a pushover for Elizabeth Banks, especially when she was that young. Cool character, too.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-24-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I liked the gridiron stuff, the POV of players on the field...and also the subplot involving Dick Vermeil. He was as much an underdog as Papale was. Greg Kinnear's pretty good when he's not doing over-the-top comedy.
Okay, cool.

Quote:
(I was an Eagles fan back then, mostly because of the underdog thing; same with the Pats when Pat the Patriot was on the helmet. I always hated the 'Boys and Vikes, though; it seemed every year they'd beat my Rams in the playoffs. Also, the America's Team thing rubbed me completely the wrong way.)
Our stories are similar. In the 1970s my Rams kept finding a way to lose in the playoffs, to the Vikings and Cowboys. Take your pick. I lived and (mostly) died with them in Decembers and Januarys back then. I bled blue and gold. Then in Super Bowl XIV they’re actually beating the Steelers, leading at halftime, and after 3vquarters, before snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at the end.

And then next year in Super Bowl XV, former LA Rams QB Ron Jaworski takes the Eagles to the dance, only to lose to — nay, to get crushed by — the Oakland Raiders.

Quote:
Finally, I'm a pushover for Elizabeth Banks, especially when she was that young. Cool character, too.
Well, what red-blooded hetero male wouldn’t be?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
To be fair, both Cassel and the Browns have done significantly worse without Bill.

Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens.

Last edited by Fleetwood; 01-25-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens...
...who yes have won two Super Bowls, but not until five years after he left. Those Ravens championship teams are more Ozzie Newsome’s team than Bill Belichick’s.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hey, maybe you're right. There must be some measures by which Eagles fans aren't the worst, right? And we could save time by listing those, instead of the ways they are the worst, but it wouldn't be as much fun. So let's check out the Vast Anti-Eagles Fans Media Conspiracy for some clues:

This all sounds like a butt hurt Vikings fan. Those sore losers STILL haven't stop whining and bellyaching about how poorly they were treated in Philadelphia just because we didn't roll out the red carpet and kiss their ass when they came here with their effeminate "Skol" chant. If Minnesota had won, wouldn't have heard boo about it.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Zzzzzzzzzz. You forgot the jail cell in our stadium. Gee we threw snowballs at some drunk in a Santa costume 50 years ago. NEVER heard THAT one before.

Michael Irvin has gone on record saying he didn’t blame the fans for what they did since he acted like such a jackass on the field ( besides the fans were booing Deion Sanders who was doing some sort of weird dance).

A bunch of surveys by some nitwit sportswriters looking to jump on the anti-Philly bandwagon isn’t even quantifiable evidence.

You want a “measure”? Heres one:

https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/stat...20729612767234

You simply can’t say Philadelphia fans are the worst by “any measure” when there’s 10 cities with higher arrest records per game. I mean three teams are over 20 and Philly is 3.2? Not even close enough for a margin of error. Anyone that reads that and still says Philly is the worst is clearly an imbecile or just being a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Stay classy Vikings fans!

https://www.facebook.com/EaglesTailg...4256897415731/

Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
This all sounds like a butt hurt Vikings fan. Those sore losers STILL haven't stop whining and bellyaching about how poorly they were treated in Philadelphia just because we didn't roll out the red carpet and kiss their ass when they came here with their effeminate "Skol" chant. If Minnesota had won, wouldn't have heard boo about it.
Someone dressed Rocky in Vikings gear. They should be happy they made it out alive.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 AM

Some Eagles fans donate to Vikings' head coach Mike Zimmer's charity as apology for other Philly fans. See, they're not all bad.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM

From the article (bolding mine):
Quote:
Earlier this season, Buffalo Bills fans donated more than $200,000 to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's foundation after the Bengals helped Buffalo squeak into the playoffs. Bengals fans later donated to Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles' foundation as a thank you for beating their AFC North rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Quote:
Minnesota fans are also no strangers to the trend. Over the past few weeks, they've donated more than $220,000 to a foundation created by New Orleans Saints punter Thomas Morstead, who played through an injury in the divisional round and was among the first players to return to the field for a meaningless extra-point attempt at the end of the game between the two teams.
Quote:
Philadelphia Eagles fans have donated more than $10,000 to Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer's foundation as a means of apologizing for their brethren's behavior at last weekend's NFC Championship Game.

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM

Baby steps. After all, these are Eagles fans we're talking about.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens.
Oh wow, I didn't realize the move was that recent, that does poke a hole in my point. It looks like they were garbage rising to mediocre over 4 years after he left, then won the superbowl.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Zzzzzzzzzz. You forgot the jail cell in our stadium. Gee we threw snowballs at some drunk in a Santa costume 50 years ago. NEVER heard THAT one before.

Michael Irvin has gone on record saying he didn’t blame the fans for what they did since he acted like such a jackass on the field ( besides the fans were booing Deion Sanders who was doing some sort of weird dance).

A bunch of surveys by some nitwit sportswriters looking to jump on the anti-Philly bandwagon isn’t even quantifiable evidence.

You want a “measure”? Heres one:

https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/stat...20729612767234

You simply can’t say Philadelphia fans are the worst by “any measure” when there’s 10 cities with higher arrest records per game. I mean three teams are over 20 and Philly is 3.2? Not even close enough for a margin of error. Anyone that reads that and still says Philly is the worst is clearly an imbecile or just being a troll.

With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
20+ arrests per game v 3.2.

Maybe MetLife Stadium needs a jail cell.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Or, being an asshole isn't something considered worthy of arrest.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Or, being an asshole isn't something considered worthy of arrest.
There’s no law against being an asshole. At least not in California which I find surprising. There were some true gems in a company I used to work for.

And then, at the old Candlestick Park, there were some Niner fans that were true gems too.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Bears games average less than one arrest per game, tied with Seattle and Tampa for least-arrested fanbase in the nation. I mean, I think Chicagoans are a fairly polite crowd all and all, but I am slightly surprised by that.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
As a suburb of New Jersey, plus Baltimore, in conjunction with whatever dragons lie to the west, Philadelphia is in a convergence zone where “bad behavior” has a different meaning than what we use in the rest of the country.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:52 PM

I think it’s time for a separate thread focusing on the game this coming Sunday. I didn’t see any. What do you guys think?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Invincible's greatest accomplishment is making it seem like beating the mid-70's NY Giants was an accomplishment.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You realize that this is the town that has police horses on the field by the 7th inning of a potentially winning World Series game in 1980 and 2008, and hunted down the looters on Broad st.

Then there was the jackass who thought it would be fun to run on the field during a baseball game...and got stun gunned. No sympathy from anyone, even the mayor called the guy stupid.

Yes these are baseball examples, but its not like the names change.

Last edited by Mr. Miskatonic; 01-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
20+ arrests per game v 3.2.

Maybe MetLife Stadium needs a jail cell.
Maybe the arrest rate has more to do with how lax the enforcement is.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Invincible's greatest accomplishment is making it seem like beating the mid-70's NY Giants was an accomplishment.
A rookie special-teamer forcing a fumble and then taking it to the house to fire up a lackluster team that hadn't found its identity until that very moment? That's an accomplishment in any year.

Especially for that rookie.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-29-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
You realize that this is the town that has police horses on the field by the 7th inning of a potentially winning World Series game in 1980 and 2008, and hunted down the looters on Broad st.
What that tells me is that the police know exactly what kind of jackals they're dealing with, and came extra prepared. The Philly police probably vacation in Caracas, looking for a little peace and quiet.

Quote:
Then there was the jackass who thought it would be fun to run on the field during a baseball game...and got stun gunned. No sympathy from anyone...
Yeah, and if they'd shot him with a real gun, the mob would've been downright ecstatic.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM

I started a Super Bowl thread, if anyone wants to discuss the game or its commercials — Really? No Super Bowl LII thread? What about the commercials??!!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM

I would participate, but a "what, no X thread?" a week before the event made me kill myself.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 AM

See ya.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, I won’t make that bet, then! Thanks for that info. Yeah I was thinking he might say he’s done enough in football.

I’m pulling for the Eagles because I want to see them win their first Super Bowl. Ron Jaworski and Donovan McNabb both lost, with the 1980 and 2004 Eagles respectively, so with the 2017 Eagles maybe Nick Foles and crew can do it. The Pats are vulnerable.

But don’t count out Belichick and Brady. Never count them out. As I think we all (most) know.

I’m a 49ers fan and absolutely LOVE Joe Montana, but Joe has to step aside. He is no longer the QB GOAT, and he hasn’t been for at least a year. Even before Super Bowl LI last year, even before last year’s playoffs, Brady has been the QB GOAT.

It is amazing what Brady has accomplished in his 18 year career, and to think he might play 4-5 more years and win maybe 2 more Super Bowls ... incredible!

ETA: Like RickJay says!
You are wrong. Montana played in a much harder era. Montana played when teams like the Giants, Bears, and Redskins could have all been dynasties. The salary cap has made the era of great teams a thing of the past. The league is now filled with watered-down, mediocre teams.

Rule changes have also increased the passing game to the point where the NFL is an inferior product. When Montana played, the quarterbacks were in the trenches. Montana got rag-dolled more than any other QB of his era. And DBs got away with A LOT more contact.

As a final note, Brady's entire legacy began with a gift from the officials. And his last two rings were gifted to him by huge coaching blunders. Brady's super bowl record could easily be 2-5, with the first appearance never happening since NE really lost the divisional game that year. (Brady is also a little bitch whenever he gets hit or doesn't get his way.)

Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.

Last edited by Lorne Armstrong; 02-11-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Armstrong View Post
You are wrong. Montana played in a much harder era. Montana played when teams like the Giants, Bears, and Redskins could have all been dynasties. The salary cap has made the era of great teams a thing of the past. The league is now filled with watered-down, mediocre teams.

Rule changes have also increased the passing game to the point where the NFL is an inferior product. When Montana played, the quarterbacks were in the trenches. Montana got rag-dolled more than any other QB of his era. And DBs got away with A LOT more contact.

As a final note, Brady's entire legacy began with a gift from the officials. And his last two rings were gifted to him by huge coaching blunders. Brady's super bowl record could easily be 2-5, with the first appearance never happening since NE really lost the divisional game that year. (Brady is also a little bitch whenever he gets hit or doesn't get his way.)

Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.
You are wrong. Sammy Baugh played in a much harder era. The rules did not favor the forward pass. He played both ways, offense and defense. Oh, and he played special teams too.

I’m being a bit facetious, to make a point of how wrong you are. Who’s the best NBA player of all time? Jordan? Kareem? Wilt? Yes they played in different eras, and it’s a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but if you say you cannot choose that just means you are running and hiding.

>> Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.

That’s a fallacy. If you say that then by the same logic you have to say that you can never pick any QB as the GOAT. And that is running and hiding. Fine, if you want, but don’t come back here and say anyone else is the GOAT.

And you’re being a crybaby by bringing up the tuck rule, Pete Carroll’s blunder, and the Falcons’ epic collapse. To be consistent you’d also have to bring up The Lucky Catch, and then Eric Wright’s lucky one-handed tackle of Drew Pearson; the fact that there were only 10 trams in the playoffs, not 12 like today, for the first 3 49ers Super Bowls; the fact that Montana had Jerry Rice (and John Taylor) and Bill Walsh and Ronnie Lott and Fred Dean and Charles Haley; and Lewis Billups drops a sure Super Bowl interception; and there are many more.

Brady is clearly the NFL QB GOAT. And not just because I say so. Look it up and there is a very strong general consensus among people a lot smarter than I.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM

I don’t care much for Tom Brady and I’m not at all a Patriots fan. But he’s the GOAT.

You can argue that the rules favor pasers and offenses in general these days. True. But remember, a QB is only as good as what he’s throwing to. He can’t win games if he’s not blocked well and is being sacked. If his defense is giving up points every time the opponent gets possession (as it did in the last SB).

The salary cap makes all of that difficult. You have some great teammates, you get successful, so next season those guys are worth more money due to that success. You are not allowed to pay them what they’re worth and they leave. You can’t maintain a great team year after year. The rules are designed to enforce parity and try to prevent dynasties.

Yet somehow the Patriots manage to do it over and over again. One of the few constants on that team during their current dynasty is Brady. That’s going to counter any accusations of him being helped by rules favoring passers.

So just look at the numbers. The records. His rings. All of that shows that he’s better than others before him.

Even if I think he’s something of a weasel.