Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
To be fair, both Cassel and the Browns have done significantly worse without Bill.
Heh the Browns couldn't stop stepping on their own dicks if they were strung up to their necks. Notice I also said and the Pats organization.
  #152  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,085
Considering that “fan” is short for “fanatic”, I am going to suggest that any criticism of [other team's] fans is fair game and they should be willing to take it. Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
  #153  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 AM
chizzuk chizzuk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
She makes more than he does.
This isn't a small thing, either. Her net worth is twice as much as his, and together they're worth over half a BILLION dollars. He is in an entirely different stratosphere than the rest of the NFL thanks to his wife. He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
  #154  
Old 01-24-2018, 03:05 AM
Maserschmidt Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Considering that “fan” is short for “fanatic”, I am going to suggest that any criticism of [other team's] fans is fair game and they should be willing to take it. Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
Unless it's on a Pink Floyd album, and then it works out okay.
  #155  
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM
hajario hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
This isn't a small thing, either. Her net worth is twice as much as his, and together they're worth over half a BILLION dollars. He is in an entirely different stratosphere than the rest of the NFL thanks to his wife. He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
What does she have to do with it? Even without her, he’d still be absurdly wealthy with cap friendly contracts and endorsements.
  #156  
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
He can do cap-friendly contracts because he does not need to spare one single thought for salary or savings or retirement. And the Patriots reportedly use this to their advantage when negotiating with free agents.
Any other star player can do the same if they want; restructuring their deals by stretching out payments long into the future. It is no secret that it lets Brady have better teammates than stars whose agents have get-it-all-now mentalities. One of the raps against Peyton Manning, for instance, is that his contract demands kept his Colts teams from being as competitive as the Patriots - and that only shows that his desires were balanced more toward money and less toward championships than Brady's have been. Nothing wrong with that, it's a different set of values, that's all. It's understandable in an environment where salary is seen as a score in a game, and the bigger the number the better you are as a player in that game.
  #157  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Do Not Taunt Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Any other star player can do the same if they want; restructuring their deals by stretching out payments long into the future.
Wait, is this what Brady's doing? I thought he was just taking an under-market deal. Furthermore, I know that signing bonuses cannot be pro-rated over a period longer than five years, and I believe that all guaranteed money attaches against the salary cap in the year the player retires/is cut. You don't see any Bobby Bonilla-type deals in the NFL.
  #158  
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,085
They have a deal where the Patriots will be carrying Brady's grandchildren on IR until the contract is paid off.
  #159  
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,731
The restructurings he's done could certainly involve arrangements outside the purview of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
  #160  
Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 13,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The restructurings he's done could certainly involve arrangements outside the purview of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Nights with his wife?
  #161  
Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 13,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
... Unless, of course, they start singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Those guys, just step away from them.
Agreed. Preferably at least to the other side of Stanley Park.
  #162  
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Enter the Flagon Enter the Flagon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
It's true, Eagles fans are the worst by any measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Quantify those "measures"?
Hey, maybe you're right. There must be some measures by which Eagles fans aren't the worst, right? And we could save time by listing those, instead of the ways they are the worst, but it wouldn't be as much fun. So let's check out the Vast Anti-Eagles Fans Media Conspiracy for some clues:


Philadelphia Sports Fans Voted Worst in America by GQ Magazine
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...by-gq-magazine

MOST HATED FAN BASE: EAGLES
https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/23/nf...k-percy-harvin

10 times Philadelphia fans were truly the worst
http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/...flyers#slide-1

We don't have all day, though, so this quote will have to suffice:

Quote:
Over the years, Philadelphia fans have booed Santa Claus, their own star players and, most absurdly, the recipient of America's very first hand transplant, whose crime was dribbling in a ceremonial first pitch—thrown with his freshly transplanted hand. Boooo! Admittedly, there are some things fans have cheered. Like Michael Irvin's career-ending neck injury and a fan being tased on the outfield grass. Things reached their nadir last season, when Citizens Bank Park played host to arguably the most heinous incident in the history of sports: A drunken fan intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl.
  #163  
Old 01-24-2018, 05:03 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,085
Well, that movie that Jennifer whatsername won an Oscar for portrayed the male character as an Eagles fan of a most pathetic stripe. Since then, I have come to view all Eagles fans as being like that. Always whining and trembling over the Seahawks, it would seem.
  #164  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, that movie that Jennifer whatsername won an Oscar for portrayed the male character as an Eagles fan of a most pathetic stripe. Since then, I have come to view all Eagles fans as being like that. Always whining and trembling over the Seahawks, it would seem.
Watch Invincible. Damn good football movie, and generally an accurate representation of Philly fans.

Yep, I saw Vince Papale play, back when.
  #165  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Watch Invincible. Damn good football movie, and generally an accurate representation of Philly fans.

Yep, I saw Vince Papale play, back when.
You really liked it? I thought it was meh, like a Rudy wannabe movie but for the pros. Papale’s story is a good one, however.
  #166  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You really liked it? I thought it was meh, like a Rudy wannabe movie but for the pros. Papale’s story is a good one, however.
I liked the gridiron stuff, the POV of players on the field...and also the subplot involving Dick Vermeil. He was as much an underdog as Papale was. Greg Kinnear's pretty good when he's not doing over-the-top comedy.

(I was an Eagles fan back then, mostly because of the underdog thing; same with the Pats when Pat the Patriot was on the helmet. I always hated the 'Boys and Vikes, though; it seemed every year they'd beat my Rams in the playoffs. Also, the America's Team thing rubbed me completely the wrong way.)

Finally, I'm a pushover for Elizabeth Banks, especially when she was that young. Cool character, too.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-24-2018 at 10:48 PM.
  #167  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:01 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I liked the gridiron stuff, the POV of players on the field...and also the subplot involving Dick Vermeil. He was as much an underdog as Papale was. Greg Kinnear's pretty good when he's not doing over-the-top comedy.
Okay, cool.

Quote:
(I was an Eagles fan back then, mostly because of the underdog thing; same with the Pats when Pat the Patriot was on the helmet. I always hated the 'Boys and Vikes, though; it seemed every year they'd beat my Rams in the playoffs. Also, the America's Team thing rubbed me completely the wrong way.)
Our stories are similar. In the 1970s my Rams kept finding a way to lose in the playoffs, to the Vikings and Cowboys. Take your pick. I lived and (mostly) died with them in Decembers and Januarys back then. I bled blue and gold. Then in Super Bowl XIV they’re actually beating the Steelers, leading at halftime, and after 3vquarters, before snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at the end.

And then next year in Super Bowl XV, former LA Rams QB Ron Jaworski takes the Eagles to the dance, only to lose to — nay, to get crushed by — the Oakland Raiders.

Quote:
Finally, I'm a pushover for Elizabeth Banks, especially when she was that young. Cool character, too.
Well, what red-blooded hetero male wouldn’t be?
  #168  
Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Fleetwood Fleetwood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NH-US
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
To be fair, both Cassel and the Browns have done significantly worse without Bill.

Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens.

Last edited by Fleetwood; 01-25-2018 at 07:33 AM.
  #169  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens...
...who yes have won two Super Bowls, but not until five years after he left. Those Ravens championship teams are more Ozzie Newsome’s team than Bill Belichick’s.
  #170  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Hey, maybe you're right. There must be some measures by which Eagles fans aren't the worst, right? And we could save time by listing those, instead of the ways they are the worst, but it wouldn't be as much fun. So let's check out the Vast Anti-Eagles Fans Media Conspiracy for some clues:


Philadelphia Sports Fans Voted Worst in America by GQ Magazine
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...by-gq-magazine

MOST HATED FAN BASE: EAGLES
https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/23/nf...k-percy-harvin

10 times Philadelphia fans were truly the worst
http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/...flyers#slide-1

We don't have all day, though, so this quote will have to suffice:
This all sounds like a butt hurt Vikings fan. Those sore losers STILL haven't stop whining and bellyaching about how poorly they were treated in Philadelphia just because we didn't roll out the red carpet and kiss their ass when they came here with their effeminate "Skol" chant. If Minnesota had won, wouldn't have heard boo about it.
  #171  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Hey, maybe you're right. There must be some measures by which Eagles fans aren't the worst, right? And we could save time by listing those, instead of the ways they are the worst, but it wouldn't be as much fun. So let's check out the Vast Anti-Eagles Fans Media Conspiracy for some clues:





Philadelphia Sports Fans Voted Worst in America by GQ Magazine

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...by-gq-magazine



MOST HATED FAN BASE: EAGLES

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/23/nf...k-percy-harvin



10 times Philadelphia fans were truly the worst

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/...flyers#slide-1



We don't have all day, though, so this quote will have to suffice:


Zzzzzzzzzz. You forgot the jail cell in our stadium. Gee we threw snowballs at some drunk in a Santa costume 50 years ago. NEVER heard THAT one before.

Michael Irvin has gone on record saying he didn’t blame the fans for what they did since he acted like such a jackass on the field ( besides the fans were booing Deion Sanders who was doing some sort of weird dance).

A bunch of surveys by some nitwit sportswriters looking to jump on the anti-Philly bandwagon isn’t even quantifiable evidence.

You want a “measure”? Heres one:

https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/stat...20729612767234

You simply can’t say Philadelphia fans are the worst by “any measure” when there’s 10 cities with higher arrest records per game. I mean three teams are over 20 and Philly is 3.2? Not even close enough for a margin of error. Anyone that reads that and still says Philly is the worst is clearly an imbecile or just being a troll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #172  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,516
Stay classy Vikings fans!

https://www.facebook.com/EaglesTailg...4256897415731/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #173  
Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 AM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
This all sounds like a butt hurt Vikings fan. Those sore losers STILL haven't stop whining and bellyaching about how poorly they were treated in Philadelphia just because we didn't roll out the red carpet and kiss their ass when they came here with their effeminate "Skol" chant. If Minnesota had won, wouldn't have heard boo about it.
Someone dressed Rocky in Vikings gear. They should be happy they made it out alive.
  #174  
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 AM
Hamlet Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 13,872
Some Eagles fans donate to Vikings' head coach Mike Zimmer's charity as apology for other Philly fans. See, they're not all bad.
  #175  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
From the article (bolding mine):
Quote:
Earlier this season, Buffalo Bills fans donated more than $200,000 to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's foundation after the Bengals helped Buffalo squeak into the playoffs. Bengals fans later donated to Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles' foundation as a thank you for beating their AFC North rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Quote:
Minnesota fans are also no strangers to the trend. Over the past few weeks, they've donated more than $220,000 to a foundation created by New Orleans Saints punter Thomas Morstead, who played through an injury in the divisional round and was among the first players to return to the field for a meaningless extra-point attempt at the end of the game between the two teams.
Quote:
Philadelphia Eagles fans have donated more than $10,000 to Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer's foundation as a means of apologizing for their brethren's behavior at last weekend's NFC Championship Game.

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.
  #176  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM
Hamlet Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 13,872
Baby steps. After all, these are Eagles fans we're talking about.
  #177  
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Taber Taber is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Bill's Browns are the Baltimore Ravens.
Oh wow, I didn't realize the move was that recent, that does poke a hole in my point. It looks like they were garbage rising to mediocre over 4 years after he left, then won the superbowl.
  #178  
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 13,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Zzzzzzzzzz. You forgot the jail cell in our stadium. Gee we threw snowballs at some drunk in a Santa costume 50 years ago. NEVER heard THAT one before.

Michael Irvin has gone on record saying he didn’t blame the fans for what they did since he acted like such a jackass on the field ( besides the fans were booing Deion Sanders who was doing some sort of weird dance).

A bunch of surveys by some nitwit sportswriters looking to jump on the anti-Philly bandwagon isn’t even quantifiable evidence.

You want a “measure”? Heres one:

https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/stat...20729612767234

You simply can’t say Philadelphia fans are the worst by “any measure” when there’s 10 cities with higher arrest records per game. I mean three teams are over 20 and Philly is 3.2? Not even close enough for a margin of error. Anyone that reads that and still says Philly is the worst is clearly an imbecile or just being a troll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
  #179  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
20+ arrests per game v 3.2.

Maybe MetLife Stadium needs a jail cell.
  #180  
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
Or, being an asshole isn't something considered worthy of arrest.
  #181  
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Or, being an asshole isn't something considered worthy of arrest.
There’s no law against being an asshole. At least not in California which I find surprising. There were some true gems in a company I used to work for.

And then, at the old Candlestick Park, there were some Niner fans that were true gems too.
  #182  
Old 01-26-2018, 04:09 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 44,419
Wow. Bears games average less than one arrest per game, tied with Seattle and Tampa for least-arrested fanbase in the nation. I mean, I think Chicagoans are a fairly polite crowd all and all, but I am slightly surprised by that.
  #183  
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
As a suburb of New Jersey, plus Baltimore, in conjunction with whatever dragons lie to the west, Philadelphia is in a convergence zone where “bad behavior” has a different meaning than what we use in the rest of the country.
  #184  
Old 01-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
I think it’s time for a separate thread focusing on the game this coming Sunday. I didn’t see any. What do you guys think?
  #185  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Mr. Miskatonic Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I liked the gridiron stuff, the POV of players on the field...and also the subplot involving Dick Vermeil. He was as much an underdog as Papale was. Greg Kinnear's pretty good when he's not doing over-the-top comedy.

(I was an Eagles fan back then, mostly because of the underdog thing; same with the Pats when Pat the Patriot was on the helmet. I always hated the 'Boys and Vikes, though; it seemed every year they'd beat my Rams in the playoffs. Also, the America's Team thing rubbed me completely the wrong way.)

Finally, I'm a pushover for Elizabeth Banks, especially when she was that young. Cool character, too.
Invincible's greatest accomplishment is making it seem like beating the mid-70's NY Giants was an accomplishment.
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #186  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Mr. Miskatonic Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
With respect, all that says is that in Philadelphia, bad behavior isn't even punished.
You realize that this is the town that has police horses on the field by the 7th inning of a potentially winning World Series game in 1980 and 2008, and hunted down the looters on Broad st.

Then there was the jackass who thought it would be fun to run on the field during a baseball game...and got stun gunned. No sympathy from anyone, even the mayor called the guy stupid.

Yes these are baseball examples, but its not like the names change.
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"

Last edited by Mr. Miskatonic; 01-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.
  #187  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM
hajario hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
20+ arrests per game v 3.2.

Maybe MetLife Stadium needs a jail cell.
Maybe the arrest rate has more to do with how lax the enforcement is.
  #188  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Invincible's greatest accomplishment is making it seem like beating the mid-70's NY Giants was an accomplishment.
A rookie special-teamer forcing a fumble and then taking it to the house to fire up a lackluster team that hadn't found its identity until that very moment? That's an accomplishment in any year.

Especially for that rookie.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-29-2018 at 05:25 PM.
  #189  
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Enter the Flagon Enter the Flagon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
You realize that this is the town that has police horses on the field by the 7th inning of a potentially winning World Series game in 1980 and 2008, and hunted down the looters on Broad st.
What that tells me is that the police know exactly what kind of jackals they're dealing with, and came extra prepared. The Philly police probably vacation in Caracas, looking for a little peace and quiet.

Quote:
Then there was the jackass who thought it would be fun to run on the field during a baseball game...and got stun gunned. No sympathy from anyone...
Yeah, and if they'd shot him with a real gun, the mob would've been downright ecstatic.
  #190  
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
I started a Super Bowl thread, if anyone wants to discuss the game or its commercials — Really? No Super Bowl LII thread? What about the commercials??!!
  #191  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM
SenorBeef SenorBeef is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 26,954
I would participate, but a "what, no X thread?" a week before the event made me kill myself.
  #192  
Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
See ya.
  #193  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 AM
Lorne Armstrong Lorne Armstrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, I won’t make that bet, then! Thanks for that info. Yeah I was thinking he might say he’s done enough in football.

I’m pulling for the Eagles because I want to see them win their first Super Bowl. Ron Jaworski and Donovan McNabb both lost, with the 1980 and 2004 Eagles respectively, so with the 2017 Eagles maybe Nick Foles and crew can do it. The Pats are vulnerable.

But don’t count out Belichick and Brady. Never count them out. As I think we all (most) know.

I’m a 49ers fan and absolutely LOVE Joe Montana, but Joe has to step aside. He is no longer the QB GOAT, and he hasn’t been for at least a year. Even before Super Bowl LI last year, even before last year’s playoffs, Brady has been the QB GOAT.

It is amazing what Brady has accomplished in his 18 year career, and to think he might play 4-5 more years and win maybe 2 more Super Bowls ... incredible!

ETA: Like RickJay says!
You are wrong. Montana played in a much harder era. Montana played when teams like the Giants, Bears, and Redskins could have all been dynasties. The salary cap has made the era of great teams a thing of the past. The league is now filled with watered-down, mediocre teams.

Rule changes have also increased the passing game to the point where the NFL is an inferior product. When Montana played, the quarterbacks were in the trenches. Montana got rag-dolled more than any other QB of his era. And DBs got away with A LOT more contact.

As a final note, Brady's entire legacy began with a gift from the officials. And his last two rings were gifted to him by huge coaching blunders. Brady's super bowl record could easily be 2-5, with the first appearance never happening since NE really lost the divisional game that year. (Brady is also a little bitch whenever he gets hit or doesn't get his way.)

Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.

Last edited by Lorne Armstrong; 02-11-2018 at 01:01 AM.
  #194  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Bullitt Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation 10-12-14
Posts: 22,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Armstrong View Post
You are wrong. Montana played in a much harder era. Montana played when teams like the Giants, Bears, and Redskins could have all been dynasties. The salary cap has made the era of great teams a thing of the past. The league is now filled with watered-down, mediocre teams.

Rule changes have also increased the passing game to the point where the NFL is an inferior product. When Montana played, the quarterbacks were in the trenches. Montana got rag-dolled more than any other QB of his era. And DBs got away with A LOT more contact.

As a final note, Brady's entire legacy began with a gift from the officials. And his last two rings were gifted to him by huge coaching blunders. Brady's super bowl record could easily be 2-5, with the first appearance never happening since NE really lost the divisional game that year. (Brady is also a little bitch whenever he gets hit or doesn't get his way.)

Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.
You are wrong. Sammy Baugh played in a much harder era. The rules did not favor the forward pass. He played both ways, offense and defense. Oh, and he played special teams too.

I’m being a bit facetious, to make a point of how wrong you are. Who’s the best NBA player of all time? Jordan? Kareem? Wilt? Yes they played in different eras, and it’s a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but if you say you cannot choose that just means you are running and hiding.

>> Brady is not the GOAT. No QB from this era is.

That’s a fallacy. If you say that then by the same logic you have to say that you can never pick any QB as the GOAT. And that is running and hiding. Fine, if you want, but don’t come back here and say anyone else is the GOAT.

And you’re being a crybaby by bringing up the tuck rule, Pete Carroll’s blunder, and the Falcons’ epic collapse. To be consistent you’d also have to bring up The Lucky Catch, and then Eric Wright’s lucky one-handed tackle of Drew Pearson; the fact that there were only 10 trams in the playoffs, not 12 like today, for the first 3 49ers Super Bowls; the fact that Montana had Jerry Rice (and John Taylor) and Bill Walsh and Ronnie Lott and Fred Dean and Charles Haley; and Lewis Billups drops a sure Super Bowl interception; and there are many more.

Brady is clearly the NFL QB GOAT. And not just because I say so. Look it up and there is a very strong general consensus among people a lot smarter than I.
  #195  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Atamasama Atamasama is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,051
I don’t care much for Tom Brady and I’m not at all a Patriots fan. But he’s the GOAT.

You can argue that the rules favor pasers and offenses in general these days. True. But remember, a QB is only as good as what he’s throwing to. He can’t win games if he’s not blocked well and is being sacked. If his defense is giving up points every time the opponent gets possession (as it did in the last SB).

The salary cap makes all of that difficult. You have some great teammates, you get successful, so next season those guys are worth more money due to that success. You are not allowed to pay them what they’re worth and they leave. You can’t maintain a great team year after year. The rules are designed to enforce parity and try to prevent dynasties.

Yet somehow the Patriots manage to do it over and over again. One of the few constants on that team during their current dynasty is Brady. That’s going to counter any accusations of him being helped by rules favoring passers.

So just look at the numbers. The records. His rings. All of that shows that he’s better than others before him.

Even if I think he’s something of a weasel.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017