Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM

How are you personally affected by the Corona Virus?

My wife and I work in the same building but for different companies. Normally has about 3,000 people there. About 4 cars in the parking lot when I met my boss to grab my laptop this morning. They wouldn't let me inside.

Oldest kid in med school came home because all face to face classes are cancelled.

My wife's IT group will be coming by tonight or tomorrow to set up her remote office (she doesn't have a laptop).

Youngest kid just found out a few hours ago that his face to face classes are cancelled for the rest of the year. I assume he will move home this weekend.

I'm currently enjoying watching the Price is Right.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Just a thought, but it might be informative for posters to give a general location.

I'm in southern WI and there are currently 6 confirmed cases in my state. Locally, some social events are being cancelled, scaled back, or postponed. The local school district says schools will remain in session at this point unless a case is detected. Colleges are telling students not to come back after spring break for various amounts of time and seem to be scrambling to get virtual options in place.

My employer already allows almost everyone to work from home if they want. Offices remain open but there are definitely more people choosing not to come in. All travel, even within state, is heavily restricted. A conference I was planning to attend in CA in April was scrapped but they are working to do sessions remotely.

Spring Break family vacation is still on, assuming flights aren't cancelled or other drastic measures put in effect that could make it difficult to get back home. We have direct flights from Chicago to a Caribbean island that so far hasn't reported any cases, so that's good. Also bought trip insurance several weeks ago, so happy with that decision. I just checked and the policy I bought has gone up in price, but not as much as I would have expected.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
Just a thought, but it might be informative for posters to give a general location.

I'm in southern WI and there are currently 6 confirmed cases in my state. Locally, some social events are being cancelled, scaled back, or postponed. The local school district says schools will remain in session at this point unless a case is detected. Colleges are telling students not to come back after spring break for various amounts of time and seem to be scrambling to get virtual options in place.

My employer already allows almost everyone to work from home if they want. Offices remain open but there are definitely more people choosing not to come in. All travel, even within state, is heavily restricted. A conference I was planning to attend in CA in April was scrapped but they are working to do sessions remotely.

Spring Break family vacation is still on, assuming flights aren't cancelled or other drastic measures put in effect that could make it difficult to get back home. We have direct flights from Chicago to a Caribbean island that so far hasn't reported any cases, so that's good. Also bought trip insurance several weeks ago, so happy with that decision. I just checked and the policy I bought has gone up in price, but not as much as I would have expected.
My folks cancelled their cruise to the Caribbean, finally. They received a voucher from the cruise line but were out 2 grand from the travel agent's booking fee. Cheaper than a funeral. My folks are both almost 80, so them being on a cruise ship right now wouldn't be a very prudent thing to do.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
My location is listed as Central Indiana... AKA Indianapolis and suburbs. "Kids" though are in various areas (OH, IN, IL)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
My location is listed as Central Indiana... AKA Indianapolis and suburbs. "Kids" though are in various areas (OH, IN, IL)
I'm about 90 miles east of you in the Lawrenceburg area. My sons are still attending school, I think the district is hoping to just make it to Spring Break which starts next Wednesday and thinking that the two weeks off will allow for this to blow over.

I'm worried about them bringing it home and then all three of us are stuck in an apartment for the foreseeable future....
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Not me, but my adult kids are affected, as are my aging parents.

Eldest is having trouble meeting work schedules, since many countries have new restrictions in place. He was supposed to travel from LA to Honolulu, then Singapore, and on to Bahrain. Now Bahrain says no admittance to anyone who's been in Singapore within two weeks, so he's getting lots of delays. Since these restrictions change almost daily, it's playing havoc with his travel schedule.

Youngest still in university, and their classes are all remote starting in 2 weeks (next week is Spring Break). Still lots of confusion on exactly how the classes will be broadcast, whether Skype, or some app provided by the school. The profs haven't had much time to figure this out, so it will be a confused mess for a while.

Parents are still independent, but only barely. I need to drive to help out frequently (700 miles RT). I have a slight cough and drainage so am fearful of traveling to them at the moment. I can do it without any contact along the way, but could make them sick. Now need to stay put for a few weeks to be sure I don't pass something to them.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
My daughter and her fiancť planned to go to New Orleans for a medical convention, then head to Phoenix for another medical meeting. Both meetings were cancelled and the trips were mostly going to be fun trips, but without the "excuse" of a job-related meeting they can no longer go.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Parents are still independent, but only barely. I need to drive to help out frequently (700 miles RT). I have a slight cough and drainage so am fearful of traveling to them at the moment. I can do it without any contact along the way, but could make them sick. Now need to stay put for a few weeks to be sure I don't pass something to them.
Sorry about quoting myself, but things have changed. The cough I had on Thursday worsened to a full-blown head cold. Since it's following the exact trajectory of every cold I've ever had, I really don't think it's Covid. I'm almost well today, with only a lingering itchy throat and very slight sniffles.

But... in the interest of protecting those in the high-risk pool I might contact, we've decided I shouldn't be out and about for the next two weeks. I can't get tested since I don't have all the symptoms, but I'm staying put in my separate section of the house for the duration.

Probably overreacting, but I'm retired and figure I can do my part to flatten the curve. Plus I can binge-watch a few things I've been putting off. I realized a little late that I probably shouldn't have started with The Last Ship though.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Youngest still in university, and their classes are all remote starting in 2 weeks (next week is Spring Break). Still lots of confusion on exactly how the classes will be broadcast, whether Skype, or some app provided by the school. The profs haven't had much time to figure this out, so it will be a confused mess for a while.
Adobe is allowing schools to use the Adobe Connect program for free for 90 days instead of 7 days. It's set up as a trial, so the IT admins at the school would have to remember to cancel the trial on the 90th day. Connect is an online conferencing software, there's audio and screen sharing capabilities. WebEx, Zoom, Google, and Microsoft are also providing similar trial/limited time free use programs. I hope the information helps.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I'm in southern WI .... All travel, even within state, is heavily restricted. ...
Bull-shit. I have had absolutely no problems going anywhere. I have not heard of any travel issues.
I'm in NE - Wis. My tech school class was cancelled along with the rest of the tech school. But since it is all lab work, we are back on. My son at the same school is on an extended 2 week spring break. He will have to do some type of online study when they get back. Not sure yet.
My work schedule has not changed. I expect hours to be cut later on as we make the deep fried cheesy stuff for restaurants. Otherwise corporate is really enforcing the "clean and sanitize hands every time you walk through any door" policy.
My wife may have to volunteer to be quarantined at work. She works assisted living where none of the 20 residents ATM is under 80. Most of her co-workers have young children so we discussed that she is capable to stay at work for a few weeks if needed. Just negotiate a live-in pay scale. Also need to get 2 or 3 others to stay. Staff is 4 FT and about 6 PT.
Oldest son said his workplace is picking up for their normal summer peak period. He makes grilling meats. Daughter's high school is shutting down after today until further notice. She is a senior and had qualified for state FBLA. Now that is most likely not happening. Nor is any of the other spring time school stuff like prom. She and youngest son had planned on a week long spring break trip this week but they cancelled it Saturday. Mom was pleased.
Church had cancelled everything not called worship service. Now it sounds like that is done also.

BTW, we picked up a Costco megapack of TP last moth to get ahead of the rush. As long as power is on we easily have 3 months of food and water and we can always get more grillin' meats. And as for more TP, a neighbor works at the Charmin plant.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 03-12-2020, 10:47 AM

Nothing has changed in my personal environment--except that I am getting worried and planning to change my behavior somewhat because of what I read in the internet.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM

My wife and I had a trip booked to Europe to see her family for Passover that is now canceled.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 AM

Damn! The chili cook-off for Saturday got canceled, and I just bought all my meat today! (Well, we can freeze it, at least.)

Also, a job of mine on Monday got cancelled, as well. March is usually a slow month for me business-wise (photography), so it kind of sucks, but, oh well.

I have actually started to use disinfecting wipes after being out in public for the first time since ... well, ever really. Not so much for my health but to not possibly spread it. So that PSA is actually altering my behavior somewhat.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I have actually started to use disinfecting wipes after being out in public for the first time since ... well, ever really. Not so much for my health but to not possibly spread it. So that PSA is actually altering my behavior somewhat.
After eleven and a half years, I've begun using the disinfectant wipes to wipe down my walkie-talkie at the start of a shift at work.

And Kayla's face-to-face classes at her school have been cancelled in favor of online instruction. Which is fine for accounting and engineering majors. Performing arts, not so much. Spring break is looming, and she's got plans to host three friends (different visits) over the next couple of weeks. One of them is coming on a class trip with the performing arts program at UCI, and is the most probable one to cancel (although we haven't heard anything yet), on account of the Great White Way just announced that it's shutting down for the rest of the month. Which is likely to put a damper on any activities planned for her other friends' visits.

She says that if they all three fall through, she's going to try to fly back home for the duration.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
After eleven and a half years, I've begun using the disinfectant wipes to wipe down my walkie-talkie at the start of a shift at work.

And Kayla's face-to-face classes at her school have been cancelled in favor of online instruction. Which is fine for accounting and engineering majors. Performing arts, not so much. Spring break is looming, and she's got plans to host three friends (different visits) over the next couple of weeks. One of them is coming on a class trip with the performing arts program at UCI, and is the most probable one to cancel (although we haven't heard anything yet), on account of the Great White Way just announced that it's shutting down for the rest of the month. Which is likely to put a damper on any activities planned for her other friends' visits.

She says that if they all three fall through, she's going to try to fly back home for the duration.
Yep, they all fell through, so last night she bought a one-way ticket to Las Vegas for Sunday morning. Two of her friends are driving out on Saturday, spending the night, and going to drive her back to Anaheim. Any excuse for a road trip, eh?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 AM

Just got a text from the care home in which my 95 year old dad currently resides. No visitors. (This in Michigan which has two confirmed cases)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Increasingly looking like we'll get mandatory telework at some point, at least a couple of days a week. My immediate supervisors have been against telework for some reason, despite the fact that there's very little practical reason for most of us to actually physically be in the office, but fortunately this decision is being handed down from on high.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Forgot that my wife and daughter had a trip planned for hiking in northern Italy next week. Looking for something closer but even that is getting hard.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I had tickets to a concert in NYC next week. It was a Christmas present for my girlfriend. Itís been postponed.

I suspect I will be exposed at work which is very worrisome because my mother is going through chemo right now and she is counting on me.

We had plans to go to Niagara Falls in a month. Not sure if that is going to happen.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Woke up yesterday morning to the news that my son's college (near Philadelphia) had just told everyone, "Don't come back from Spring Break." He is in California with his girlfriend's family. The "stay away" edict is currently in force until April 6.

After a family Skype conference, it was decided he will stay with his girlfriend's family. Poor them! I don't think they bargained on having their daughter's boyfriend as a houseguest for an entire month. I wanted him to come stay with me in Hawai'i (girlfriend welcome as well) but son and GF want to stay together, and GF's parents don't want her to leave.

Other than figuring out my son's situation, my life isn't really affected yet here on Hawai'i Island. I tend to stock up anyway (I kind of live in the boonies and can't dash out for a depleted staple without a bit of a hassle) and had done a big Costco run a couple weeks ago, before TP started to fly off the shelves. So as long as water and power stay on, I can last a month or two, easy, if I have to.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:11 AM

No cases yet as far as I know in western Pennsylvania. When I talk to friends, pretty much all we talk about is the virus and how dificult it is not to touch your face.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
No cases yet as far as I know in western Pennsylvania. When I talk to friends, pretty much all we talk about is the virus and how dificult it is not to touch your face.
You may touch your face if you desinfect your hands first. You should not touch anything else between the desinfection and the face touching, that I find is the hard part.
It is affecting me big time. We (wife & me) stay at home in Berlin (Germany) most of the time, only go out for restocking food. We wanted to move to a new appartment in April, that is probably not going to be possible, so we will be paying two rents for some time. Work is cancelled, but the contractors will pay our fees for the next two months as they are contractually bound to. No new contracts are being offered, same with all the colleagues I have spoken to. Complete shut down of the interpreter's market: no conferences at all except at the highes political level, and those are being done by staff (public servants). What happens after two months is everyone's guess: it may end being very expensive (two rents) and no income. We have many unread books, a well filled freezer and some beer, whisky, chocolate and champagne. I want to draw some cartoons (if I don't get to do it now, when?). We have a new Netflix subscription, we had been off for six months. We try to be philosophical about it, let's see how long before we get on each other's nerves.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm in Western Washington, so it's a big effect. The school district is (finally) closing for two weeks starting tomorrow. They announced it after school yesterday, and today will mostly be about picking up belongings and getting instructions for what to do during the break. The company where my husband works full-time and I work part-time has told everyone not to come into the office if it's possible to do their jobs at home. (So the shop guys are still coming in unless they have cold symptoms.) My other job is at a DC law firm, so I already worked at home for that one. We have stocked up on frozen food. I was hoping to go visit my parents in California soon, but that has been scotched for the time being. The freeways are bizarrely empty.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Working in a 911 Center in Missouri. On a personal level, the only change has been some longer hours. Work wise, we are now asking people a lot of Novid-19 screening questions. For most calls, it's no big deal, they answer the questions and we respond. But there are some people who catch on to what we are doing and you can almost tell in their voice when it happens. We either get hung up on, or the answers become very vague. We then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince people that we will respond to their emergency no matter what, it's just if you are having symptoms of the virus, the responders put on masks and gowns, but it's usually too late and we never get any good information.
As the news has reported, gowns, masks etc are in short supply in the hospital as well as in the field. If you stepped in a hole and broke your ankle, we really don't want to waste the gowns and masks unless we have to. If we try to explain that we are responding no matter how you answer the questions BEFORE you asks the questions, then almost everyone goes straight to paranoid and we still don't get the answers.
The folks I send you run towards the sound of gunfire and run into burning buildings. Why you think they won't come because of some virus is beyond me. They have gear to protect themselves, they are just trying to make sure they don't run out of that gear before they get more.
/end of rant.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Not really affected here in Arizona. The governor has declared a state of public emergency and there will be no audience for the Democratic debate in Phoenix. But there have only been nine cases in the whole state, and five of them are from one household. It seems to be pretty well contained for the time being.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Personally? This week I've spent about 7 hours in meetings about how we'll deal with it, and another 3-4 hours working on plans for dealing with it.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM

I'm in Los Angeles. My husband is on a solo trip to Mexico right now because he's unemployed and last-minute midweek flights are unbelievably cheap right now. I'm so happy for him, though I am a wee bit envious; I would've gone too if I could get away from work. We're still planning to go to Cozumel with my dive club in June, but my parents (who both turn 70 this year) have just decided that they no longer want to go to Boston in May to visit my cousin, his wife, and their new baby. Cousin et al probably don't want us to come anymore anyway; we haven't discussed our plans in months.

My work just announced they're allowing up to 15 extra sick days for those who need them; normally we only get 5. They're also permitting sick people to work from home, which is normally not allowed (officially; I take work home all the time, just still have to show up during business hours); however, since most of our employees are attorneys who need to appear in court every day, that's not going to be feasible for very many. The court is exploring videoconferencing options, though, so that may change.

I'm not feeling anxious about getting sick or apocalyptic scenarios, but I am worried that all these protective measures will inconvenience me. I don't want all my fun stuff to be canceled!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Personally I haven't been affected. If I'd been planning on attending a Sacramento Kings game or this weekend's St. Partick's Day parade I guess I would have been as those events have been canceled, but I had no plans to attend anyway.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Working from home at least until the end of next week. My wife's school closed yesterday for cleaning but they're open today. We're in the process of cancelling or postponing our Morocco trail that's currently scheduled for April.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM

About an hour south of Portland.

Just learned all finals next week will either be cancelled or moved online, except for those requiring a physical presence (like a lab practicum).

After spring break courses will be online only for at least a couple weeks. Nearest reported case is about 20 miles away. Was going to head south to see some friends for spring break but I may sit tight instead.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I place orders for a medical laboratory. I've been dashing around placing orders so fast today I'm in danger of disappearing up my own butthole. A lot of stuff is backordered, a lot of companies difficult to get hold of, and web sites down.

I had planned to accompany my husband on a trip to China in April. Of course that's been cancelled.

I was going to go to a company picnic on UF campus next week with my daughter, but I expect that's off too.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:21 PM

We've been told to telework tomorrow, even those who normally don't on Fridays. No info yet about next week.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM

My University has moved all classes to online only, and is telling employees to work from home as much as possible. I've been spending all day preparing documentation to help people in my department work from home. Tomorrow I'll be going into the office to setup some old laptops for people who don't have other work from home options. All in person meetings and group events have been cancelled.

I'll also water the plants out of cycle when I'm there, because I have no idea when I'll be back.

The public school's spring break starts the 23rd. I expect that it will start early, and I'm almost certain that once it does start kids won't be going back to school when they're supposed to.

We don't have very many cases in Colorado yet, but the known cases are those people who were infected a week or two ago. The number of infected people now could be 5-50 times the number of known cases.

I'm also preparing myself for the expectation that people I know will die.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
The public school's spring break starts the 23rd. I expect that it will start early, and I'm almost certain that once it does start kids won't be going back to school when they're supposed to.
And public schools are closed immediately. Spring break starts one week plus one day early. That is sooner than I thought. I was mostly expecting they would make it through Friday, and then on Sunday announce it was closed for two weeks.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 PM

My studio is doing a trial run of working from home next week, in preparation for doing so... permanently, or least for the duration.

My wife works for the local hockey team, and they just announced that they are postponing the rest of the season. I'm very nervous about whether they'll need her if this goes on too long.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:18 PM

I can say that it really the most important of things, but my vacation just got cancelled - and not voluntarily at all. Unhappily, I haven't been on a real vacation in six years, and this was something I really wanted to do at a place I really wanted to go.

Merde.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 03-12-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:02 PM

I'm in Chicago and so far the schools haven't closed or anything even though there is at least one confirmed case at Vaughn, which is a special needs school that has students bussed in from all over the city.

I take the Metra train to work and there are definitely fewer people on the trains than normal, about half of the usual load on the train cars.

For work, I represent a company that sells firewalls and security solutions and we just got a big order from a customer who is putting firewalls into their employees' homes for VPN. A great opportunity for my team but not really the way I want to do it. On the flip side of this, a lot of our events got cancelled. Part of my job also entails setting up lunch and learns and other food-related activities with our sales people (the best way to win their hearts is with food, evidently) and we haven't been told to halt these, I am concerned that we'll get word on it at some point.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Mostly people are just panicking ineffectively here (Cornwall, UK), with nothing really happening, though there are confirmed cases in the county. As I'm both a mature student and currently working at at a different branch of the same college at a job that can't realistically be done remotely; if schools get shut down, life gets a bit complicated. Hopefully I'll get paid anyway, but I'm only part-time working round my course, so I don't know.

Class-wise, it could get interesting, as again, some of the assignments can't realistically be done online, like organising an all-day group presentation to the whole college, which is 70% of the module grade. We've been working on it for months and it's planned for next Wednesday... The college campus is tiny, only 70 students, so it's not quite as crazy as it sounds, but... well... we shall see.

Oh, and supposedly a student at a 3rd branch of the college has a confirmed case, at least according to the rumour mill
Old 03-12-2020, 03:10 PM

My Brother-in-Law was suppose to be in next week. We were going to spend some time in NYC. He won't be in now and we're going to spend next week at home mostly.

I am suppose to start my new job the following Monday. I haven't heard yet, but this could get delayed and that means for me no income. So I'm hoping they decide to keep the office open.

My son's classes will probably be going online. But he lives at home anyway so minimal change.

Thus far my wife's place is still open, but I wonder for how long. She can work from home easily though, so small worry there.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:36 PM

As a Cubmaster, I just cancelled our Pinewood Derby for next weekend.

I feel I made the right call, but tell that to 112 Cub Scouts.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:31 PM

I'm in Ohio, where there are now five confirmed cases. We were notified yesterday that the nursing home that my father-in-law is in, is in full lockdown for at least two weeks.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. L.A. is a nurse. Rite-Aid is sold out of alcohol prep pads. We both wonder, 'What are people doing with those?'

Toilet paper stocks at Rite-Aid are adequate.

My commutes this week, from the Canadian border to Seattle and back, have been outstanding. Only two hours each way (instead of the usual three to three and a half hours).
Old 03-12-2020, 03:59 PM

My Nephew went to the doctor because he was feeling sick on Tuesday and the doctor said he had the symptoms but, surprise surprise, he could not be tested because he wasn't in a high risk group or something like that, so the whole family is now under self-imposed quarantine, and his high school put out a notice about it. He finally was tested today by a doctor in a hazmat suit behind the clinic, no word on when the results will actually be available...

//i\\
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Mrs. L.A. is a nurse. Rite-Aid is sold out of alcohol prep pads. We both wonder, 'What are people doing with those?'
I've been carrying those around for years. Every time I eat out, I clean my hands with them, even if I'm not going to be touching the food. It amazes me that people will eat a hamburger or pizza without even thinking about where their hands have been.

I just retired in January so fortunately I don't have to go to work. I had a job that could not be done remotely. As of this week, the only place I'm going is to my mother's house to pack up stuff. She died a month ago. I was already stressing because I'm trying to get things settled and this is all new to me. I'm waiting on a corrected death certificate and a response to a form I had to send in to TennCare (I'm in Memphis) and I can't proceed without those. I'm wondering if office closings are going to cause delays. Then when I get them, I need to see a probate lawyer and go to court. I have a realtor but we can't really do anything until I get the house in my name.

Things should start coming together in a couple weeks. Not exactly good timing. The realtor is a friend's sister and she is 71. I haven't talked to her since last week and I don't know how she is going to feel about showing the house if things get worse in the next few weeks. I'm starting to feel like I should just put everything on hold and wait to see if things get better in a month or so. I know that me being stressed is not good for my health.

Actually, just typing that out made me realize I do have to put everything on hold. This is a world-wide emergency situation and as much as I need to get this done, it's just not going to happen any time soon. I need to take a deep breath and relax.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:10 AM

Life carries on as normal here (Wet Midlands, UK) - I work at a university where we have no confirmed cases as yet, and only one known self-isolating academic (he has asthma and it's apparently normal for him to get cold/cough symptoms at this time of year). My dept runs language programmes so we have students all over the world on the year abroad part of their studies - some are stuck in lockdown areas, some have come home from other countries and some are choosing to stay. It's all a bit vague for them as the year/semester abroad has a residency requirement attached to it.

For us, it's business as usual although we are looking at all manner of contingencies, including how to run our 6-week exam session online instead of on campus. The senior mucky-mucks will take that decision and expect the rest of us to just make it work.

Personally, it isn't affecting me too much. Various music events have been cancelled that I would have been attending, the latest one due to travel restrictions as one guy from Prague can't get a flight out and the other guy he sings with is concerned about being able to get a flight back to his home in Spain. I haven't been grocery shopping since last weekend so no idea what that's going to be like, I might have a go at that tonight and see how horrendous the stupidity out there has become. I've been reading the comments on farcebook from my local newspaper (we have 5 confirmed cases, two deaths and a drive-through testing centre now) which serves only to prove that the population in my city has the combined IQ of a crayon.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I've been carrying those around for years. Every time I eat out, I clean my hands with them, even if I'm not going to be touching the food. It amazes me that people will eat a hamburger or pizza without even thinking about where their hands have been.

I just retired in January so fortunately I don't have to go to work. I had a job that could not be done remotely. As of this week, the only place I'm going is to my mother's house to pack up stuff. She died a month ago. I was already stressing because I'm trying to get things settled and this is all new to me. I'm waiting on a corrected death certificate and a response to a form I had to send in to TennCare (I'm in Memphis) and I can't proceed without those. I'm wondering if office closings are going to cause delays. Then when I get them, I need to see a probate lawyer and go to court. I have a realtor but we can't really do anything until I get the house in my name.

Things should start coming together in a couple weeks. Not exactly good timing. The realtor is a friend's sister and she is 71. I haven't talked to her since last week and I don't know how she is going to feel about showing the house if things get worse in the next few weeks. I'm starting to feel like I should just put everything on hold and wait to see if things get better in a month or so. I know that me being stressed is not good for my health.

Actually, just typing that out made me realize I do have to put everything on hold. This is a world-wide emergency situation and as much as I need to get this done, it's just not going to happen any time soon. I need to take a deep breath and relax.
I'm so sorry about your mom. It's hard to be dealing with that on top of this CV thing. As much as you want to get on with settling things, it's probably better to hold off. Hugs to you.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM

I work at the Vanderbilt University library. All the undergraduates have been urged to go back home; classes will continue online, though. There are a lot fewer people studying in the library, now! Just grad students, at this point.

I was in an online staff meeting the other day, where they suggested that, at some point, we might be issued laptops so that we could work from home. I hope that it doesn't come to that, since I enjoy coming in every weekday.

I'm dreading going to Walmart tomorrow! I hope that I can find all the groceries and supplies that I need.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I can see cleaning your fingertips with them, but one-inch squares seem too small to clean both hands. There has to be a more efficient way, like having a quick-drying gel that kill germs that comes in a small bottle that can be carried in a purse or a pocket.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:56 PM

I retired early in 2012 (age 55 then), my wife is self-employed (professional artist), so work-wise we're not affected. We just decided not to open our art gallery the coming weeks (better safe than sorry). The supermarket is a 5 minutes walk away and interaction with others is as minimal as we want (and we want as close to zero as possible). We wash our hands thoroughly every time we've been outside, and do our best not to touch our face while we are outside. I'm more worried about the family, three of them being over 70 and two of these health-wise in the risk group. On my wife's side, her father is 82 and managing well on his own in Shanghai - my wife cannot go there right now to help.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:06 PM

If my dad gets the virus, he's a goner. He's 88 years old and still on antibiotics from lung congestion he suffered from his last viral illness a couple months ago. He's currently trying to look after my stepmom, age 72, who recently broke her ankle and requires surgery any day now. My dad is supposed to get a pacemaker in a couple weeks but is now trying to reschedule that procedure so he can be home to help my stepmom through her initial recovery period.

Ordinarily I would immediately drive the 14 hours to help, but their recovery periods will far exceed the time I can stay so a visit will be of limited use. On top of that, due to my wonderful Trump ACA coverage, I am only covered for medical while I am "in network." That means zero coverage if I travel outside my county. Since I too am high risk for COVID-19, I am reluctant to find myself ill, out of network and perhaps unable to get back home for an extended period. I am also self-employed and can't be away from my home office for terribly long. It's a real hardship to be away for even 2 weeks.

We've been exploring assistance for them and have even found a good option, but I can't seem to get them to understand the severity of this outbreak and the importance of self-quarantining to the greatest extent possible. Every time my stepmom drags my dad out to accompany her to another medical appointment when she could use the young, able-bodied available caretaker instead, she is putting him at huge risk. It terrifies me.

I've begged them for more than 5 years to sell up and come live close by so I could tend to them in their times of greatest need. They were finally ready to actually do it, had a trip scheduled to come house hunt on April 3rd. As I feared, probably too late.