Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
But wait, there's more! Some boffins grabbed by POLITICO predict Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How. Overview:

* A new kind of patriotism. Civilian service, not just military.
* A decline in polarization. Cooperate, work together, or die.
Interesting, since others have speculated above that this could lead to governments falling and being replaced by nationalists. I wonder if that situation is actually less polarized as well...?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 AM

If/when a vaccine is offered, how will the antivaxers respond?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hypocritically, no doubt. THIS time the vaccine will be ok and won't cause autism, blah blah blah, handwave, handwave, handwave... Some might stay the course, and those will, as always, put the rest of the population at increased risk. I think the government should put out a notification that if someone chooses not to get the vaccine for (stupid) voluntary reasons, they aren't eligible for any assistance from the government AND they are required to self quarantine until the crisis is over or until are safely cremated...

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 03-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Those responding negatively can be taken out and shot, right? For public safety?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Fair Rarity, I could be wrong but the way I understood the question was as to why your child couldn't do visitation with their father on the same schedule as had been observed in the past.
Oh, if that's the case, my bad.

I can't because we have two vulnerable people in our house and I don't trust her father to keep proper procedures. He himself has some health issues so for HIS sake he should be at a distance from a silent carrier, as so many children are. And his family has a lot of vulnerable people and I don't know if they're distancing. We've worked out a "shout from a window" and skype solution for the time being and hope as this drags out, there can be resources and ideas so they can be closer without endangering anyone. It's a little severe, but I also don't want to get it and die (am young enough that I should be ok but how do I know I don't have an invisible condition that is risky?).

When we have some things retrofitted with Pushing Daisies Pieman and Chuck technology, I'll be all for it.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM

Makes sense (except I didn't get your last sentence).
Old 03-21-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Fair Rarity, I could be wrong but the way I understood the question was as to why your child couldn't do visitation with their father on the same schedule as had been observed in the past.
That, and also why the child is confined to the house.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I just finished a serious scientific book on the bio- and mineralogical history of Earth that ended with a speculation that penguins might evolve into intelligent beings to take our place after we end as a species -- apparently penguins have been evolving more quickly than similar critters.
This is the best scenario I have heard in a long time. I for one welcome our future penguin overlords.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
This is the best scenario I have heard in a long time. I for one welcome our future penguin overlords.
It’s a good read - The Story of Earth, by Robert Hazen.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
That, and also why the child is confined to the house.

My kids are confined to our apartment because we have no way of getting outside without passing through common areas. If we had a door leaving directly outside, OTOH, we would take them out for walks and stuff.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I foresee a glut of office space on the market, as companies are forced to admit that working from home has worked just fine.
There was a cute cartoon on the New Yorker magazine this week. It shows a business manager at home in his
pyjamas, sitting at a desk with his computer,and saying
"Wow, it really IS possible to do those meetings with a couple of emails."

Last edited by chappachula; 03-21-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My kids are confined to our apartment because we have no way of getting outside without passing through common areas. If we had a door leaving directly outside, OTOH, we would take them out for walks and stuff.
If you can maintain distance from others (six feet is recommended), there's no reason to confine the children to the house.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If you can maintain distance from others (six feet is recommended), there's no reason to confine the children to the house.
My daughter and SIL moved with their kids from a San Francisco house to a Sierra Nevada property a year ago. With COVID flowing, my grandkids (9 and 11) would have been stuck in a small house on a pedestrian-hostile SF hill. Now they're on mountain acreage with pond, forest, new puppy, plenty of snow, and work-at-home parents who home-school the wee beasties. School and scout sessions are canceled but the scouts are assembling supply packages for the needy. Their situation is pretty stable for now.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM

I wonder what is going to happen with crime statistics. Fewer robberies and burglaries, more domestic violence? Not sure where that would leave homicides.

Quote:

Sure there is. Research is increasingly showing that the virus gets into the air just from breathing, not only from coughing, and from asymptomatic individuals--and remains in the air for anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours, depending on what source you cite. For us to go outside requires that we go out our apartment door, walk down the hall, go down one of two stairwells in the building, and then through a narrow corridor and small entryway between the secure buzzer door and the outer door. Dozens of people may have passed through that area in the past hour, unless it's in the middle of the night which is obviously not when we're going to take our kids out to play.

ETA: If we still lived in an apartment with our own door directly to the outdoors, like we did until 2017, I'd be taking the kids outside every day for sure.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Makes sense (except I didn't get your last sentence).
In the mid 2000s there was a cute show on ABC called Pushing Daisies where the main couple couldn't touch or the lady would immediately die (magic!) and they had all these really quirky and adorable workarounds. So I'm waiting for someone to mass produce some of them.

I don't understand why everyone is assuming children inside are locked up Flowers in the Attic style. Some people don't have yards. Some people live in crappy weather zones. Unsafe neighborhoods. Too young/poorly behaved to be unsupervised. There are lots of factors why a kid isn't outside and hasn't been that much for the last week or two. As people settle in and northern hemisphere weather starts to get nice, it'll be different. We might not be done snowing so just throwing a blanket in the yard and having a picnic isn't really something we're going to be doing probably till May.

And honestly, around here I wish more people kept their kids locked up. They're gathering in large groups about town, going to beaches in other places. Some are adults, but the teens hanging out in my city's square fewer than six feet apart are a terrible idea.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
And honestly, around here I wish more people kept their kids locked up. They're gathering in large groups about town, going to beaches in other places. Some are adults, but the teens hanging out in my city's square fewer than six feet apart are a terrible idea.
Now we have Elon Musk reportedly getting away with disinfo tweets that children were “essentially immune” to CV. Youngsters think they're immortal anyway, or fear they won't live to age thirty because the world's so fucked, so why bother trying to be safe? Next step will be Ethical Suicide Parlors. Check in to check out. Discounts with school ID.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 AM

I have not seen a plane in the sky for a week.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 AM

I have, but the flight route for the airport is close by.

Last edited by susan; 03-22-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sudan View Post
Anyone want to speculate about consequences that are not yet on our radar?
Nose magnets.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
This is a deeply engaging article. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Our local crop-duster guy is doing business. I saw him dive-bombing a nearby orchard just yesterday. I suppose that's considered essential business.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what the exact figure is, but of course at any given moment - up to a couple of weeks ago - a large percentage of passenger aircraft (most?) was in the sky at any one time. You stop that and you realise that, actually, we don't really have adequate parking space if all of them are on the ground. This is a photo of Bournemouth Airport, a small regional airport in the UK, which BA is currently using as a plane park.

j
Old 03-30-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
The number of daily flights worldwide has declined by about 50% since the end of February.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/statistics
Old 03-31-2020, 08:16 AM

China, taking heat for offering up a steady dose of pandemics to the world, could finally close down those wet animal markets. The Chinese could stop eating bats and pangolins, sparing the world from the next Chinese-made pandemic.

Indians might finally stop spitting in public, and get more of a sense of hygiene.

Last edited by mandala; 03-31-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My wife and I were talking about this on Sunday. We guessed that buildings, especially medical ones might be built differently going forward. Again, just guesswork but it seems likely that many more segregated entrances will be constructed, and maybe in medical buildings there would be different entrances for patients, admin, nurses, infectious disease workers, etc.

Short term, once testing is widely available, I predict a rise in teaming groups of workers who are post-Covid. While simultaneously grouping those who haven't yet contracted it. It would make sense for pilots, policemen, team drivers of trucks, and any occupation where a small group needs to work closely together.

Last edited by pullin; 03-31-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
China, taking heat for offering up a steady dose of pandemics to the world, could finally close down those wet animal markets. The Chinese could stop eating bats and pangolins, sparing the world from the next Chinese-made pandemic.
Indians might finally stop spitting in public, and get more of a sense of hygiene.
Since this is the straight dope, let's fight some ignorance.

1. Pandemics have come from all over the world. H1N1 for example, has been absolutely devastating and originated in North America.

2. Pangolin scales and bat meat are thought to be used in traditional medicine by a very small number of people in one or two cities in China; very few Chinese people are even aware of this culture. There is certainly no culture of "bat soup" or whatever that you hear on FOX.
But in terms of this pandemic, I believe the latest sequencing is suggesting it made the leap to humans via another species, so even the chinese medicine angle could be a red herring.

3. One place that's really punched under its weight for disease origins, is India. I think I'm right in saying there hasn't been a record of a new human infectious disease starting in India in modern history (Nipah virus was a new outbreak of an existing strain. If that counts as a new virus that the US has had lots), which is surprising for a country with such a large population.
So your rant about Indian habits is even more off topic.

Last edited by Mijin; 03-31-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I think I'm right in saying there hasn't been a record of a new human infectious disease starting in India in modern history
Actually I take this part back. I'm basing it on a chart I saw of infectious disease origins which had about 30 of the most significant pathogens to affect humans and their origins and none was from India.
But it's a bit of a shaky foundation, I'll admit. I can't find the chart, and I can't find a good cite either way (pretty hard to dig past all the coronavirus stuff right now, even explicitly trying to exclude those pages).

Last edited by Mijin; 03-31-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM

The first thing that popped into my mind regarding India and the possibility of it being a low source of disease origins is that they don't eat a lot of meat. Lots of vegetarians and others who don't eat beef or pork. Which means a lot less raising of those, esp. in tight quarters. Also cuts down on eating wildlife.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM

Has anyone seen the TV show Counterpart? I thought it was really cool in the early going, but then fell off in quality after they seemed not to know where to go with the cool premise. But one interesting aspect was a portrayal of what a post-pandemic world looked like. One item they had everywhere was these seemingly infrared devices in public that people put their hands in, kind of like you might do with those "blade" dryers. I guess it used infrared to disinfect the hands? I don't know how realistic a notion that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post

I endorse these, but unfortunately many people will cry "racism" in response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
My wife and I were talking about this on Sunday. We guessed that buildings, especially medical ones might be built differently going forward. Again, just guesswork but it seems likely that many more segregated entrances will be constructed, and maybe in medical buildings there would be different entrances for patients, admin, nurses, infectious disease workers, etc.

Good idea!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-31-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I endorse these, but unfortunately many people will cry "racism" in response.
Well yes, but more importantly they are inaccurate and misleading statements.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
In Aus, hospitals are already "built" like that. Until recently, they left the staff doors unlocked during business hours.

An important point is that lots of exits, and lots of alternate paths to the exits, are required for fire safety. A secondary point is that rooms and areas in hospitals get re-purposed all the time, and you wind up with a corridor going through a ward, with a "no access" sign on it, and people who think they won't be recognized, or consider themselves too important for mere rules, ignoring the sign.

Internally in modern hospitals, the problem has been largely overcome by the use of electronic locks and access cards. Inside the segregated areas, the doors are still unlocked or open, so that staff can go through without using their hands, while pushing or carrying or sterile. Leaving the external doors unlocked was possible because of the locked internal areas.

Older buildings, which hadn't been rebuilt with internal access control, started locking the external doors post 9/11
Old 04-01-2020, 10:39 AM

I am wondering whether all those people who said about religious clothing 'in western countries we must show all of our faces in public!' are going to shut up about it once they're all wearing face masks.

Somehow it has suddenly and mysteriously become not a problem to have one's face covered in public.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I am wondering whether all those people who said about religious clothing 'in western countries we must show all of our faces in public!' are going to shut up about it once they're all wearing face masks.

Somehow it has suddenly and mysteriously become not a problem to have one's face covered in public.
If you have it or even think you've been exposed you should definitely be wearing a face covering (and gloves, etc) if you go out (and you should only go out in an emergency). I remember the recommendation early on was that regular face masks available to the public would either be no help or even detrimental, but I read something earlier that said that perhaps this isn't the case, based on several examples in Asia, though the jury still seems to be out wrt the general public wearing the things if they have no symptoms. The regular masks the public has aren't fitted and don't have the protections the professional PPE has, so it can give a false sense of security. No idea about religious garb and how much or how little protection that gives.

That said, I never got the issue some people have with folks who wear religious stuff or why you'd make laws to deny that. I guess maybe from a public safety perspective, especially if you have tons of camera systems and want to make sure you can see the evil doers doing evil or something, but it seemed more than that in some countries. I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so it's no skin off my nose if someone wants to wear religious stuff as long as they don't expect me too.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 04-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Airplanes and masks?

I heard a jet yesterday which is rare here near Volcano CA, usually heard only when severe weather disrupts flight paths of Sacramento or Reno-Tahoe airports. If we hear choppers or light planes, they're usually searching for forest fire or fugitives; we've had none of those lately because snowbound. Should we fear sounds from the sky?

The mask situation is weird. Many jurisdictions ban covering one's face in public because crime. Now the US may turn to total masking. Will facial recognition systems go bust? Will masked crime rise? Will Islam seem legit? Expect laws that a mask must depict the face underneath, so the industry becomes ultra-personalized.

The unanticipated?

We can expect some altered dress and behavior standards. But what will brainstorms produce? Hats, caps, and veils with strong IR projectors to sterilize our breaths, in-and-out. Luxury robotic sex-spa quarantine resorts for teledildonic satisfaction while detained. Pet squirrels genetically engineered to detect illness - if Perry sits upright on your shoulder, you're OK - but beware hacked squirrels.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
That said, I never got the issue some people have with folks who wear religious stuff or why you'd make laws to deny that. I guess maybe from a public safety perspective, especially if you have tons of camera systems and want to make sure you can see the evil doers doing evil or something, but it seemed more than that in some countries. I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so it's no skin off my nose if someone wants to wear religious stuff as long as they don't expect me too.
Two countries which made and have laws proscribing religious clothing are Turkey and France. At the time of the French Revolution and after the Turkish War of Independence. In both cases, the laws were directed against majority players (the RC population and the Islamic population), which were using clothing identification in a discriminatory manner, and protected the interests of minority players like you.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Non sequitur. My objection to the religious clothing is the blatant oppression of women: I was disgusted to see what was presumably a husband and wife (maybe brother and sister?) in a supermarket in Missouri. He was wearing jeans and a tight black T-shirt that showed off his muscles. She was wearing what Sam Harris would call a "bag". It was not quite a burqa because her eyes were visible, but in the middle of a Missouri summer she was otherwise enveloped in heavy black cloth from head to toe. If the religion required both sexes to cover up, I'd still think "religion's dumb" (I'm an atheist), but it wouldn't offend me to nearly the same degree.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Airplanes and masks?

The mask situation is weird. Many jurisdictions ban covering one's face in public because crime. Now the US may turn to total masking. Will facial recognition systems go bust? Will masked crime rise? Will Islam seem legit? Expect laws that a mask must depict the face underneath, so the industry becomes ultra-personalized.
Not really sure if I have a point in relation to this -
however, most of the Islamic requirements have strong exceptions for health and well-being reasons,
so I'm not seeing why the reverse wouldn't be true for face covering laws
Old 04-02-2020, 10:00 AM

My point wasn't meant to be about whether religious regulations have health exemptions, or about whether some religious regulations discriminate by gender. It was that many people defended banning religiously-required clothing on the grounds that they thought it was Wrong for anyone to hide their face when out in public; but I haven't seen anybody at all complaining about face masks on those grounds.

I am vehemently opposed to anyone being forced to wear religious garb, and I don't wear any myself (except in the sense that the prohibition in my society against women going topless is originally religiously based.) But I don't think it's any of my business to tell anyone they have to expose parts of their bodies that they don't want to expose; and I think it's become pretty clear that the argument that hiding faces poses a public danger wasn't the real reason for such objections.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers2B1 View Post
Gun and ammunition sales will significantly increase.
You were right. If this website is correct, March sales were the highest ever recorded, and handguns made up the largest portion ever.

I wonder who's buying them? None of my hunting/gun-enthusiast friends are buying anything right now. The only people I know are one family of far-left relatives who have apparently changed their minds. Previously anti-gun, anti-hunting but now both have handguns and are trying to get carry permits. Not sure their choice was Covid-driven though.

Last edited by pullin; 04-02-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:38 PM

People staying home has impacted the vibrations of the planet. That's pretty amazing.

https://weather.com/health/coronavir...ubsequent=true
Old 04-02-2020, 06:20 PM

That's wild about the vibrations. We're not being such busy bees these days.

Quote:
I don't think it's any of my business to tell anyone they have to expose parts of their bodies that they don't want to expose; and I think it's become pretty clear that the argument that hiding faces poses a public danger wasn't the real reason for such objections.

I never thought that was the primary objection--rather, I thought it was the one I raised, that it demonstrates "Handmaid"-style oppression of women.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I am vehemently opposed to anyone being forced to wear religious garb,.
People like you weren't forced to wear religious garb in pre-revolution France or Turkey. Quite the opposite: it would have been a "false colors" offense like wearing army medals in the USA.

It's meaningless to try to tease out the difference between "cultural appropriation" and "religion", but even now, in Australia, the Hijab is used not just as self-identification, but as a negative identifier: a statement about people who don't wear the hijab that would be subverted it everyone dressed that way.

I think this can be (although it not always is) separated from the questions about crime and state security. Those have easy answers: if people and the state are more threatened by disease than by crime and treason, then those objections to masks disappear.

Last edited by Melbourne; 04-02-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Some of them are ALREADY sounding off. Most of the chatter I've seen has been along the lines of, "This will probably be mandatory, and it will be the Mark of the Beast. I won't take the mark."
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 PM

One of my daughter's "acquaintances"* (friend of a friend whom she knows) saw her father die after being knocked off his bike.
Father and daughter were out exercising during our enforced lockdown.
I guess this falls squarely under "unintended consequences" of a pandemic

* I don't know them, and daughter only knows peripherally
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
People like you
What are "people like [me]?"

I don't understand what group you're assigning me to.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
What are "people like [me]?"

I don't understand what group you're assigning me to.
People who are vehemently apposed to people being forced to wear religious garb.

It's a loose grouping without much value and I apologise if it caused offence.

Last edited by Melbourne; 04-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM

https://news.yahoo.com/pandas-lockdo...110913382.html

Zoo Pandas, given privacy, are actually mating.

Quote:
Stuck at home with no visitors and not much else to do, a pair of pandas in Hong Kong finally decided to give mating a go after a decade of dodging the issue.

Like half the planet, Ying Ying and Le Le have only really had each other for company since coronavirus-caused lockdowns shut off the flow of guests to their themepark pad.

And like couples everywhere, they've been making the best of the time on their own.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/pandas-lockdo...110913382.html

Zoo Pandas, given privacy, are actually mating.
Pandas ain't got Zoom.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
You stop that and you realise that, actually, we don't really have adequate parking space if all of them are on the ground. This is a photo of Bournemouth Airport, a small regional airport in the UK, which BA is currently using as a plane park.
Here's Atlanta.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Here is an unanticipated consequence I don't think was mentioned previously and which I saw on a late-night chat show; monkeys in Thailand stampeding. The explanation was that normally they're fed bananas by tourists, but with no tourists, there are no free bananas.
Meanwhile, monkeys in India seem to want to weaponize the virus.