Old 03-24-2020, 10:13 AM

Oregon is in lockdown, Cancer Cat has a vet appointment

This is Rocky (in the middle; Ophelia is on the left, Irving is on the right).

Last summer, during a routine vet visit, a mass was found in his abdomen. Since then, surgery was performed, a pancreatic cancer diagnosis was made, and a chemo regimen was undertaken. He had his last chemo in the middle of February, and at the end of the month he had an ultrasound, to see where he's at.

He has been doing surprisingly well through all of this. We caught the tumor early, totally by luck. After it was removed, they weren't seeing any signs of cancer even before the chemo started. Rocky certainly isn't showing any signs of being sick.

Anyway, when he had that final ultrasound a month ago, they also took chest x-rays. The doctor said there is something she can't quite make out either in or on one of his lungs. Hopefully it's nothing, but she wanted Rocky to come in again after a month for another x-ray.

I made an appointment for tomorrow, March 25th. All of this was before the shit hit the fan, of course. I called yesterday to see if we're still on, and they said yes. I'm supposed to call from the parking lot when I arrive, and they'll come out and get Rocky. I suspect they will have me put his cat carrier down outside the door, and back off while they retrieve him.

When I made that phone call yesterday, I wasn't aware that Oregon joined the list of states that are on lockdown. So now I'm a little worried. From this article:

Quote:
The order, which Oregon mayors, county commissioners and medical groups had been calling for, requires Oregonians to stay at home as much as possible or face class C misdemeanor charges.

Oregonians can leave their home to go to work, obtain or provide food, or to buy essential consumer goods. They can access certain essential government services and care for seniors, children, family members, other vulnerable people and livestock.
A little further down, it lists veterinary offices under "may remain open." But I haven't been able to find clarification on what constitutes a valid reason for going to the vet. In my eyes, I have a perfectly valid reason for going out.

Make no mistake, I'm going. I won't be coming into contact with anyone, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Although it probably won't happen, I'm worried I'll get pulled over, and have to explain why I'm out, and... I dunno. Am I getting overly anxious?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 AM

My understanding is that veterinary procedures that would require use of masks, etc., are out. They want to redirect personal protective equipment to where it’s needed most. I don’t think an x-ray would be a problem.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM

I would think that your pet being sick constitutes "a valid reason for going to the vet" in any rational interpretation. Ideally have some previous paperwork or an appointment card handy.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 AM

GESancMan, from a fellow Oregonian, I think you are being overly anxious. Perhaps understandably so. But these orders are primarily in effect to prevent people congregating in groups and being blatantly in violation of the social distancing rules.

If it helps, I was out and about this morning on necessary business (mailing some items for my work and picking up milk and eggs). There were an average number of people on the road and no police presence whatsoever.

Oregon doesn't have sufficient law enforcement during the best of times. They certainly don't have enough to hound innocent people going about their bona fide business. Please take care of your poor sick kitty with no further concerns for being harassed by officials. And I'm glad you vet's office is taking sensible precautions to limit contact.

ETA: Rocky is adorable, as are his companions. I'm glad you shared the pic!

Last edited by Aspenglow; 03-24-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I would think that your pet being sick constitutes "a valid reason for going to the vet" in any rational interpretation. Ideally have some previous paperwork or an appointment card handy.
Good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. I've got a big stack of papers I can bring along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Oregon doesn't have sufficient law enforcement during the best of times. They certainly don't have enough to hound innocent people going about their bona fide business.
That's a really good point. Seeing cops out on the road is pretty rare, even here in suburban Portland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Please take care of your poor sick kitty with no further concerns for being harassed by officials. And I'm glad you vet's office is taking sensible precautions to limit contact.

ETA: Rocky is adorable, as are his companions. I'm glad you shared the pic!
Yes, they are. Here's another pic, taken on Christmas Eve. He had a chemo treatment that day, and was still high as a kite from the sedation that night when I took this.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Yes, they are. Here's another pic, taken on Christmas Eve. He had a chemo treatment that day, and was still high as a kite from the sedation that night when I took this.
Omg, so adorable! What a handsome boy!!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. I've got a big stack of papers I can bring along.

That's a really good point. Seeing cops out on the road is pretty rare, even here in suburban Portland.

LOL, rakish fellow. Please keep us posted on Rocky's progress -- wishing for the best possible outcome from this month's x-ray!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:35 PM

Well, it all went smoothly. We arrived at the specialty clinic a few minutes before 10:00, and I called to let them know we'd arrived. Rocky's usual tech got on the phone and asked all of the usual questions (He's eating ok? Need any med refills? etc), then said "OK, I'm coming out!" I offered to leave the cat carrier near the door, but she said no, she'd come around the passenger side and grab it.

She did so, and twenty minutes later brought him back out, and put him back in the car. I then called them back up and paid over the phone. So the whole time I was there, I didn't even get out of the car. It was surreal.

The clinic is located in Multnomah Village, a cutesy area with lots of shops along the street. During normal times, it's bustling. Not so much today, but I was surprised by the number of people out and about. Some of the shops were still open, even. Everyone was staying away from each other, and it looked like people were taking turns going into shops.

Anyway, the tech said Rocky's x-ray looked good. The oncologist will call tomorrow with the official results.

Last edited by GESancMan; 03-25-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM

I'm glad!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 PM

Last update: I talked to the oncologist a little while ago, and Rocky is still cancer-free. The growth on his lung appears to be benign, and there's no sign of anything else bad going on. She'll keep an eye on the growth, of course, but she says she's not worried about it.

* phew *
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 PM

What welcome news! Something to celebrate in the midst of so much uncertainty. Thanks for keeping us posted! Rocky is a gem.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 PM

I'm also in Portland and have three dogs, all of whom need a re-up on their flea meds. Which are scrip only. Going to the regular vet means an office visit for the heartworm check, which is $50 x 3 PLUS the cost of the meds and no, that ain't gonna happen. Called Good Neighbor Vet, who do mobile clinics where the test is free if you buy 12 months of the flea med and they assure me that lockdown or no they will still be at their scheduled clinics. This is a relief since the weather's been mild and I expect the skeeters to be out any second now. So obviously vet visits are considered to be essential services. Just maintain social distance and you're golden.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 PM

Good news!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM

If there ever was a cat that deserved to be called Rocky, that's him. Is he named after the Stallone movies?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
If there ever was a cat that deserved to be called Rocky, that's him. Is he named after the Stallone movies?
It comes from "Rocky Racoon." He's a Siamese-ragdoll mix. When he was a kitten he was all white, except for a black racoon mask. As he got older his coloring came in and effectively removed his mask.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Good for Rocky! You have three awesome kitties. My favorite is Irving; he reminds me of the beloved one I lost last year.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:23 PM

I just wanted to say "Yay for Rocky!"