Old 03-25-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Well,

a) The working poor spend all their money, so having (in my county) 8.25% more of it to spend is pretty compelling I'd say.
b) Anyone buying something more expensive, say a $500 TV, will save $41 if they buy it before the tax holiday expires, which is a reasonably compelling reason to go get one sooner than later.
c) Local businesses would get some uptake from both these cases (the poor spend 8.25% more, the less poor buy more goods than they would in the next (say) 90 days).
d) Local governments get moderate stimulus from b and c.

Again, I'm not sold on this, but it's an interesting notion.
Thirty two states plus the District of Columbia exempt food sold for home consumption from state sales taxes. Six additional states tax food at a lower rate than other goods. After rent, also not subject to state sales taxes groceries are going to be the largest expenditure for the working poor. If passed it will save me quite a bit on my new car though. How many cars are poor people buying?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
From CNN:

I'm assuming this is based on gross income and not IRS adjusted income? If anyone finds an on-line calculator or table that shows the phase-down, please post a link. TIA.
I recall seeing somewhere it was AGI with a straight-line scaledown but take my memory on this with a block of salt.

Last edited by Ruken; 03-25-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Well,

a) The working poor spend all their money, so having (in my county) 8.25% more of it to spend is pretty compelling I'd say.
Rent isnt taxed. Medicine isnt taxed. Services arent usually taxed. Food isnt taxed in most states.

So, they wont save much.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
CNN says don’t expect a check until May at the earliest, based on the rollout time for past stimulus checks. So much for Mnuchin’s 2 weeks.
I wont expect a check until I see it. trump will likely sulk and veto.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM

I had my hopes up of seeing a check but got shot down today when they said it would be based on 2018 taxes EXCEPT for people who already filed in 2019. WTF! I am getting penalized for filing early? I did't work most of 2018 and would have gotten a full payout, now based upon my 2019 return I will get nothing. All because I filed early.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I wont expect a check until I see it. trump will likely sulk and veto.
Veto for what? Trump has been the one saying bigly things about how urgent it is to get cash into American hands pronto. His neck is on the line this November, and the economy will be the noose around it if he can't get it to recover.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Veto for what? Trump has been the one saying bigly things about how urgent it is to get cash into American hands pronto. His neck is on the line this November, and the economy will be the noose around it if he can't get it to recover.
Are you expecting rationality out of him?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:39 AM

Good news: Mnuchin says the stimulus checks will arrive within three weeks. That's around a month sooner than originally estimated.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Sweet. I am so buying that $700 LEGO Star Destroyer.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM

I think President Bush tried the same thing and it took three (3) months to get the checks out, plus the IRS is understaffed.
Will the IRS be called back to work early while a USN aircraft carrier is in lockdown from just 23 cases?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM

It sounds like Rep. Thomas Massie (R, KY) is thinking about possibly holding up the vote in the House. He thinks a voice vote might violate the Constitution.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I think President Bush tried the same thing and it took three (3) months to get the checks out, plus the IRS is understaffed.
Yes, but far more Americans today use direct-deposit for their tax returns/refunds than back in 2001-2008. So the IRS will be able to wire them the money electronically, which is far easier and faster than paper mailed checks.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Has anyone produced a table or graph of which income groups will receive how much of the bailout bribe disaster relief funds? I suspect that low-income groups, who need cash more, will receive less. Am I misguided?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Has anyone produced a table or graph of which income groups will receive how much of the bailout bribe disaster relief funds? I suspect that low-income groups, who need cash more, will receive less. Am I misguided?
I can't link to a graph, but the low-income groups won't receive less. They'll get the most.

Everyone who earned $75,000 or less = gets a check for $1,200.
Those who earned between 75-99k = get a check for a lesser amount.
Those who earned over $99,000 = get nothing.

The low-income groups get the most. Of course, $1,200 doesn't go far to begin with. Ideally it should have been double or triple that - I hope Congress approves a second or third such round of payments in the summer if the recession persists.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Most of the $1,200 stimulus payments will be sent out by April 6.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:51 PM

It'd be a bit more accurate to say the Mnuchin said that he wants to send out payments by April 6.
Also, that really only applies to those for whom the IRS has direct deposit information - probably the large majority, but not all. Those who don't will get a paper check, which some say will take up to four months longer.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I can't link to a graph, but the low-income groups won't receive less. They'll get the most.

Everyone who earned $75,000 or less = gets a check for $1,200.
Those who earned between 75-99k = get a check for a lesser amount.
Those who earned over $99,000 = get nothing.

The low-income groups get the most. Of course, $1,200 doesn't go far to begin with. Ideally it should have been double or triple that - I hope Congress approves a second or third such round of payments in the summer if the recession persists.
$75k is low-income in Silicon Valley and San Francisco. We live on half that. I wondered more how the total payouts will be distributed across all income levels up to the limit.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:01 AM

A second round of direct stimulus payments to American households could be on the way, too, although still a far distance off (needs a lot more legislating.)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:08 AM

Some additional sources (too late to edit):

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21O33M

https://www.businessinsider.com/pelo...package-2020-4
Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM

Be nice if the first round went out.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Be nice if the first round went out.
For those who used direct-deposit to file their tax return with the IRS, they can expect to receive electronic payments into their bank accounts around April 13-20.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For those who used direct-deposit to file their tax return with the IRS, they can expect to receive electronic payments into their bank accounts around April 13-20.
I modified my tax return before submitting it to get a little bit of money back instead of applying the entire refund to estimated taxes just for this reason. We'll see if it works. I also get Social Security directly deposited and that might work also.
I got my refund already - record speed since I suspect most people are delaying filing.

Last edited by Voyager; 04-08-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Suspended

I'll rephrase an inquiry.

The setup: An individual who last earned $74,950 and thus receives $1200 gets a 1.6% bonus. For someone at $50,000 income the bonus is 2.4%. For a pobrecito who made $10,000 it's a 12% bonus.

The question: How much of the stimulus relief money will go to households that will barely notice it, versus those to whom it's a real difference?

Follow-up question: How much will lucky recipients spend on paying down bills rather than buying consumables?

Of course the homeless and accountless will receive nothing. They're the folks who would actually increase consumption and thus provide an economic boost. But they're irrelevant, right?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Rent isnt taxed. Medicine isnt taxed. Services arent usually taxed. Food isnt taxed in most states.

So, they wont save much.
Rent is taxed to the property owner, typically built into your rent
Old 04-08-2020, 03:34 PM

I haven't yet filed my taxes, and I believe the deadline has been extended. But I think that means no stimulus for me. I'm getting a tax refund as always, so I don't see why my returns matter here. Can someone tell me?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I haven't yet filed my taxes, and I believe the deadline has been extended. But I think that means no stimulus for me. I'm getting a tax refund as always, so I don't see why my returns matter here. Can someone tell me?
So they know where & who to send the checks to.

You will still get the stimulus, just mauch later.

OTOH- why not just file your taxes?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Rent is taxed to the property owner, typically built into your rent
A landlord that has a net gain on his Schedule E is a rare landlord indeed. After depreciation and expenses, few pay taxes on the rent they recieve.

In any case, they dont pay SALES TAXES on it.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I did not get a tax refund in 2018 or 2019, so the IRS does not have direct deposit info for me. I heard that Social Security recipients would get refunds direct deposited based on their payment info, but as a Federal retiree I don't get Social Security benefits. I haven't been able to find out if the IRS will be accessing Federal retiree payment info. Supposedly the IRS will be setting up a way for people to provide direct deposit info, but so far there's no info on the IRS website.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Canada's plan is a little different.

Canada Emergency Response Benefit is for workers affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

CERB pays $2,000 every four weeks for up to four months to workers who have lost all of their income as a result of COVID-19. The benefit is open both to Canadians who qualify for employment insurance (EI) and those who don’t, including employees who don’t have enough work hours to meet EI requirements and the self-employed.

This is in addition to other relief moneys going to small business owners. Provinces are also making efforts.

Under the US Plan, my family would be getting $3400. Under the Canadian plan, my family will not be getting anything because I am still employed and have not suffered a loss of any income.

I don't mind. I think it's fair. The money is going to be sent to those who have lost their jobs and still have bills to pay.

If I got the money, it would just be extra for me. I guess I'd spend it on hobbies or fun stuff, or just stick it in the bank.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:55 PM

Oh, and there is also money in another program for the homeless and other folks. Knowing that they can't exactly give cheques out to homeless folks, this is what was announced:

This funding will be provided in the following ways:

$157.5 million to address the needs of Canadians experiencing homelessness through the Reaching Home program. The funding could be used for a variety of needs such as purchasing beds and physical barriers for social distancing and securing accommodation to reduce overcrowding in shelters.
$40 million to be given to Women and Gender Equality Canada (WAGE), up to $30 million of which will address immediate needs of shelters and sexual assault centres
$10 million to be provided to Indigenous Services Canada's (ISC) existing network of 46 emergency shelters on reserve and in Yukon to support Indigenous women and children fleeing violence.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:06 PM

For businesses, there is now the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
The subsidy would cover 75 per cent of an employee’s wages – up to $847 per week - for employers of all sizes and across all sectors who have suffered a drop in gross revenues of at least 15 per cent in March, and 30 per cent in April and May.

The program would be in place for a 12-week period, from March 15 to June 6, 2020.

I just noticed that some large employers have announced that they will NOT be taking this subsidy, as they feel it should more appropriately be used by smaller employers who need it more. (Eg. Tim Hortons parent company will not take this for corporate staff, saying their franchise owners need it more)
Old 04-11-2020, 03:50 PM

The first stimulus checks are starting to arrive in some Americans' bank accounts already.