Old 03-21-2020, 01:01 AM

Does anyone here know anyone personally who has been diagnosed, or has been yourself?

For me, the answer is no, although there have been only 3 confirmed cases in my metropolitan area of 400,000, and none of them were residents of the county in which they were diagnosed.

I actually wonder if I may have had it a few months ago. I had a "cold" that lasted a few days and wasn't very severe, and then it went away, and then it came back a couple days after that, which is apparently how this disease often operates. Other people have told similar stories, or had febrile illnesses with a negative influenza test.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 AM

My brother in law.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
My brother in law.

I wish him a mild illness and a speedy recovery.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:27 PM

I just hopped over to Facebook and saw a post from my cousin stating that her son and daughter, who are both about 30 years old, are both sick, as are their SOs. (Her son lives in the Bay Area and her daughter in the southeast; I've never met either of them.) None of them have been able to get definitive tests because they just aren't available but her daughter's boyfriend was sent home on nasal oxygen because they don't want him in, as she put it "a petri dish of a hospital." She also said that her son has not been that sick, breathing- or GI-wise, but he's had this bone-crushing fatigue for about 2 weeks.

Please pray if you do that, or think good thoughts if you don't.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM

I have it. I haven’t been tested, but I have all the symptoms. I’m still breathing okay, but if that gets worse, I’ll have to see a doctor. I hope this is as bad as it gets. I get tired very quickly if I do anything, and I think it’s going to take a while to recover.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

A friend who is a home health nurse just tested positive. My sister and BIL are in the same situation and location as NWH’s cousin’s kids; they had an appointment with their doc via telehealth who told them they likely have it but he can’t get them tested because of the lockdown and the lack of tests. My BIL is in multiple high-risk categories so my sister is watching him closely.

My husband was likely exposed; he’s felt poorly the last few days, as have I, but there’s no way we’d be able to get a test unless we were hospitalized. So we’re playing a waiting game at the moment and comparing symptoms with sis and BIL.

I also have a former coworker who is on Day 20 of what she’s pretty sure is COVID, but again no test is available for her.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
For me, the answer is no, although there have been only 3 confirmed cases in my metropolitan area of 400,000, and none of them were residents of the county in which they were diagnosed.

I actually wonder if I may have had it a few months ago. I had a "cold" that lasted a few days and wasn't very severe, and then it went away, and then it came back a couple days after that, which is apparently how this disease often operates. Other people have told similar stories, or had febrile illnesses with a negative influenza test.
Huh. Given that the first case was ID'd in China in December, I assume it's not possible for me to have had it a few months ago. But now that you mention it, my SO, me, and several people around us had a "flu" that went away and came back. Almost certainly coincidence, but interesting.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:

I wish him a mild illness and a speedy recovery.
Thank you. He’s about 10 days in. Still febrile and some pain breathing but managing at home.

Best recoveries to all of those of us and their loved ones who become ill with this ... this might become a long thread.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

A friend says she and her husband came down with something nasty and flulike as they returned home from overseas travel, so they wonder.

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of illnesses whose symptoms fit covid-19 actually are covid-19.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:38 AM

An elderly man who I used to babysit for, is in the hospital with COVID. I haven't seen him in many years, but my parents are still in touch with him, and he still attends the same church.

He smoked > 40 years, and only stopped after his heart attack 2 years ago.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 AM

A friend who was returning home to a Caribbean island. No testing available, but her description of symptoms seems accurate.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:02 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Luckily no one in my inner circle has reported being sick. I’ve been dealing with more everyday at work.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Yes, several. My best friend from HS’s mom went on a trip to Seattle about a month ago. She visited my friend right after in AZ. After she left, she got very sick and so did my friend’s whole family. She went home and visited his brother. His whole family is sick now. Her husband, who has some respiratory issues got very sick and had to go to the ER, tested positive for Corona. So that’s a total of 11 people (at least) who all got it from one carrier. The coronavirus news was all coming out in the public just before her husband got really sick and had to go to the ER so much of it happened before the public was informed.

My wife’s cousin’s family in Nashville TN was exposed to it through school. The whole family is sick, mom got tested positive.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:06 PM

Maybe... My favourite cousin's husband is very ill with a respiratory condition. He also has a long term chronic condition requiring kidney dialysis. He is not expected to survive. He has tested negative for COVID19 but they are retesting. I am very worried for my cousin who lives a long way away.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm getting reports from all over today, of friends, relatives, former neighbors, colleagues turning positive. So in the last 36 hours or so I've gone from knowing 2 personally up to over 20.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:28 PM

A college friend of my SO has died from COVID, a member of our fire department came up positive for it and the Chief exposed and self isolating pending testing and symptoms.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:52 PM

A former work colleagues' wife is now self isolating, so the rest of the family are having to to the same - not had the test so it is precautionary, its possible that it is nothing more than cold or different strain of flu
Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:

There's been word on the street that it may have been going around the Toronto theatre community in December. So maybe it was out there (North America?) earlier than thought.
Just speculation, nothing proven yet.

Last edited by EmilyG; 03-22-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 PM

Trying like hell not to get it. I've been out twice in the past 10 days and starting to get cabin fever, but it's for the best that I stay in and minimize trips outside. I live in a large apartment building.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:58 PM

Trying like hell not to get it. I've been out twice in the past 10 days and starting to get cabin fever, but it's for the best that I stay in and minimize trips outside. I live in a large apartment building.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 PM

Mine is one of those multiple degrees of separation. Reportedly my best friend’s brother in law’s girlfriend’s mother has been diagnosed with it. I don’t know her personally.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Both of my parents. So far they are doing fine caring for themselves (and each other) at home.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM

Well a relative(in his late 20s) wasn't feeling well this morning so he went to an urgent care clinic. They told him to wait in his vehicle and someone would come out to talk to him. The person who came out told him his symptoms were consistent with corona but they didn't have enough testing kits to test him. So he went home.

Another relative who works in healthcare told me they are lot more cases than the number reported to the state because they are only testing those who extremely sick or in a high risk category.

Last edited by dorvann; 03-22-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:34 PM

No one who has been diagnosed by a test because there are no tests. My wife's friend and her couple have it though, likely contracted while her husband was working in Boston. They have two children under the age of three.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Well a relative(in his late 20s) wasn't feeling well this morning so he went to an urgent care clinic. They told him to wait in his vehicle and someone would come out to talk to him. The person who came out told him his symptoms were consistent with corona but they didn't have enough testing kits to test him. So he went home.

Another relative who works in healthcare told me they are lot more cases than the number reported to the state because they are only testing those who extremely sick or in a high risk category.
If you look at the tests per million people, we're playing catch up. There's a reason the numbers are starting to spike, and it's not just that the rate of infection is getting worse - in fact it could be starting to slow for all we know, though I'm guessing that's probably not the case. But we're woefully behind in testing and reporting.

Our surveillance is shit. Italy, for instance, has test more than 3500 people per million and S Korea is at 6600 tests per million; we're still around 300-400 people per million. That's why I've been guessing for a while the real number of infected people is already well into the hundreds of thousands. If we have 35,000 officially reported cases, then I'm guessing that, conservatively, it's at least three times that amount in reality, and it could be much, much higher - like 300,000 to 500,000.

There's a very good chance you've passed someone at a store or in some other public place who has the virus.

ETA - just to clarify, I don't mean you passed right by them; only to say that you've probably been somewhere in their proximity. Most of us have if we've not been staying put in our homes. That's why it's really important to stay close to home unless you really need to get out.

Last edited by asahi; 03-22-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Employee zero at my old manufacturing company. He caught it in Wuhan right before the lockdown started. Almost died, was in tubed, but a few weeks later back to work. Although my ex company has a seasonal peak for about 1.5 million employees in China. Only a handful of employees have tested positive. The company instituted temperature checks before chinese new year on all employees, everyone wears masks, started their own mask manufacturing lines and they need about 1 million masks per day to be operational.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:31 PM

No, but a fellow at my ex-husband's plant just died of it.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:39 PM

Friend from college most likely has it. No test available, of course.

Her temperature keeps going up and down and up and down. Just when she thinks she's licked it, it comes back. I'm worried for her
Old 03-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Not yet. My state has only 64 cases at the moment though so I expect that to change. Plus I'm an extreme introvert and probably "know" much less people than the average person.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 PM

A student of mine picked it up in South East Asia. Was sick for a week and is doing better now (and attending online classes)...as far as I know she has been isolating since she found out, but she already had it when she was traveling back to Europe.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I do now. Former housemate of ours just posted his positive status.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Huh. Given that the first case was ID'd in China in December, I assume it's not possible for me to have had it a few months ago. But now that you mention it, my SO, me, and several people around us had a "flu" that went away and came back. Almost certainly coincidence, but interesting.
My brother's family had something that went on forever, and the kids passed it to my dad, who tested positive for Influenza A and then was hospitalized for a week (influenza A, pneumonia & bronchitis, he has COPD and emphysema (he did have a flu shot)). In the ICU for 3 days. He got home just as covid-19 was about to pop off for real. At his follow-up appointment on March 11 with his GP, the doc told him "if you get this you will die."

I was pretty aware of a flu going around before covid-19 since everyone in my family was sick for a while. My mom too (69 years old but healthy). The littlest niece was actually out of school already when it shut down.

My brother was questioning whether or not it was covid-19, but I dunno, I think dad woulda died if he had it. Then again he was at the Cleveland Clinic so he had some of the world's best health care.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine was on a ski trip to Italy on the front end of all of this. Most of his friends got and are recovered. My friend has been on life support for a couple of weeks but has shown some improvement recently.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 PM

A second cousin of mine who is part of the US diplomatic mission in Beijing. Not sure of his condition, but he’s late 30s, athletic, with no underlying conditions that I’m aware of.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM

His test results haven't come back yet, but my youngest brother very likely has it. Fortunately, his seems to be a fairly mild case.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 PM

Several untested but all the symptoms fit, including one of my boyfriends, and several tested positive, including one of my patients, my other boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, and his ex-wife.

It's hitting too close to home, and working as a nurse, I can't get away from it. I made the difficult decision when it started to send my daughter to live with her dad for the duration, and left my adult son living alone in our apartment so that I wouldn't bring it home to them. I miss them like crazy, but I'd rather miss them than see either of them at their funeral.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

My stepmother (66, with lupus) in NYC is hospitalized in NYC and her test came back positive at 2 a.m. today. My dad (asymptomatic so far, asthmatic, 79) is now quarantined. They have no idea how she contracted it - they don't go out much, and recently whenever they have gone out they have been wearing masks.

Dad seems relatively calm so far. Please keep them in your thoughts, because his lungs are much crappier than mine - he gets bronchitis and pneumonia at the drop of a hat.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
My stepmother (66, with lupus) in NYC is hospitalized in NYC and her test came back positive at 2 a.m. today. My dad (asymptomatic so far, asthmatic, 79) is now quarantined. They have no idea how she contracted it - they don't go out much, and recently whenever they have gone out they have been wearing masks.

Dad seems relatively calm so far. Please keep them in your thoughts, because his lungs are much crappier than mine - he gets bronchitis and pneumonia at the drop of a hat.
Damn. I am so sorry.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Karl-Anthony Towns from the Minnesota Timberwolves revealed that his mother is in a medically induced coma right now. I know the entire family.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM

My colleague’s wife. They have a new born, he and the baby are in another part of the house and his wife is kind of on her own. He leaves her meals at the door, they can’t both be sick with a baby.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

My sister just got tested, waiting on the results.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:56 PM

I don't know anyone who has been tested, however, I've been in self/company-mandated quarantine for the last couple of days. Here's the story ... started to feel a sore throat somewhere around last Thursday but kind of shrugged it off. Over the weekend my glands were so swollen it hurt to touch my throat on the outside. Since then they've gone down, but I still have the sore throat. That is the only symptom I can positively identify. I do have a cough, but then again I have this chronic post-nasal drip so I always have a cough. It's hard to tell if my coughing remains productive, so I guess I have one and a have symptoms.

I was scheduled off on Monday. On Tuesday I called out due to the ol' "abundance of caution." Today I decided to do the same mostly out of paranoia. Every little body ache that I can't nail down, or every little twinge I feel in my noggin and I start freaking out. So far I've had no issues breathing. I spoke to work today and they insisted I remain home until I have at least 24 hours symptom free. They've generously provided all employees with 80 extra hours of "pandemic pay" to use when needed ... and I need.

Sheltered in place. I've only been out to pick up shit via drive-thru's and to walk Bob. This whole thing is threatening my mental health. I was working hard to get my shit together this last year and this is really putting a funk in shit.

I remain functional, alert and optimistic that I'm not going to die anytime soon, but I'll keep the masses posted just in case I'm wrong.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM

I came back from Afghanistan in early January. I had really bad congestion, sometimes it was hard to breath, and a cough. I wasn't coughing much up, but I started sitting up in bed because breathing was getting hard. It went on for weeks, all through January and February. My wife was about to insist that I go to the doctor when the shit hit the fan. Now, I feel fine. My wife never got sick, so who knows what the hell that was.

Last edited by madmonk28; 03-25-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post

Decided to reply to my own post to give update. My relative said he feels fine now and doesn't think he had actually had COVID.(He still had never actually got tested.) He had visited me(mid-40s with diabetes) and my mother(early 70s with diabetes and other health problems) two days before he went to the clinic. So me and my mom have both been paranoid and have been staying in.

It's been six days since we saw him and we both had bouts of diarrhea over the past 24 hours. There have been reports of CoVID-infected people starting with gastrointestinal issues before developing respiratory symptoms. We both have had bouts of diarrhea in the past from other issues so we will just have to wait and see how it develops. Hopefully it's nothing.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:40 PM

My brother and his partner probably had it. They live the next town over from New Rochelle, and my brother's symptoms were typical covid symptoms. They couldn't get tested, of course. They've also both recovered, although my brother says it was pretty nasty. (His partner had a much milder case.)

I caught a bug 3 weeks ago and was afraid it might be covid, but I never lost my sense of smell, and I never got very sick, so now I'm thinking it was just some ordinary chest cold. Whatever it was, I'm over it.

A whole lot of people in Seattle whom I know slightly caught it, and some of them were actually tested, because they seem to be doing that in Seattle. One guy who was friendly with them (but whom I don't know) died of it.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 PM

My cousins husband has some chronic breathing issues and is often in and out of hospital. We’ve just found out that he has tested positive, more than likely contracted during his recent trip to a&e. It doesn’t look good given his existing issues.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobSwan View Post
My cousins husband has some chronic breathing issues and is often in and out of hospital. We’ve just found out that he has tested positive, more than likely contracted during his recent trip to a&e. It doesn’t look good given his existing issues.
I’m so sorry. I hope he recovers.
Question — what is a and e?
Old 03-26-2020, 04:22 PM

Got it — here in the US, we call it the “ER.”
Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Got it — here in the US, we call it the “ER.”
They admitted him on his last visit there on the 13th and he’s been there ever since. Virus symptoms started a couple of days ago and they tested him. It’s looking very likely that he picked it up in the hospital as they are huge Petri dishes at the moment. 59 years old and already has chronic breathing issues. It doesn’t look promising.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I do now. Former housemate of ours just posted his positive status.
Quote:
Does anyone here know anyone personally who has been diagnosed, or has been yourself?
I also know someone who has been myself, to be complete in my answer.