Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Is it possible to just replace the elastic rather than manufacturing new masks from scratch?
I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that a very clever person is not printing the key part of the mask and if you have a 3D printer, you can too. (3:54 video)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 PM

The NRA is suing Gavin Newsom for shutting down gun shops as not essential services. They claim it's a violation of their 2nd Amendment rights, and want gun shops reclassified as essential.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/nr...res/index.html
Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Guns are essential in California, abortions in Ohio are not essential. Life in America.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Is it possible to just replace the elastic rather than manufacturing new masks from scratch?
Probably, particularly if you had a large workforce of cheap dedicated labor (Vietnam?)

Masks are hard to keep air-tight at the best of times. And judging by myself as a standard, people who want to use masks mostly aren't the same people who are good at mask rebuilding.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that a very clever person is not printing the key part of the mask and if you have a 3D printer, you can too. (3:54 video)
You mean "now printing" right?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:05 PM

663,741 confirmed infections
30,880 dead
142,183 recovered

In the US:

123,750 confirmed infections
2,227 dead
3,231 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
597,267 confirmed infections
27,365 dead
133,363 recovered

In the US:

104,205 confirmed infections
1,701 dead
2,525 recovered
Total confirmed infections will top 1,000,000 no later than Thursday. The US will account for more than 20% of them (200,000) and have more than 5,000 people dead.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Yes; obviously. The rest of the sentence doesn't make any sense otherwise, does it?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-28-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I followed the link. Yes, "now".
Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The NRA is suing Gavin Newsom for shutting down gun shops as not essential services. They claim it's a violation of their 2nd Amendment rights, and want gun shops reclassified as essential.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/nr...res/index.html
US agency includes gun sellers as ‘critical’ infrastructure
Quote:
A gun rights group is cheering the Trump administration’s designation of the firearms industry, including retailers, as part of the nation’s critical infrastructure during the coronavirus emergency.

The designation by the federal Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency is advisory. The agency notes that the designation does not override determinations by individual jurisdictions of what they consider critical infrastructure sectors.

The firearms industry was not part of the federal agency’s original list of critical infrastructure issued just over a week ago. The designation in an update released Saturday follows a brewing legal battle between gun rights groups and California officials.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 PM

This could be a breakthrough in identifying the infected/infectious population:

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-03...4393-111:19396

It is point-of-care test that provides results in minutes. It works with a popular point-of-care viral test product (18,000 in use in the US) If the manufacturer follows through with providing 50,000 test kits per day, this could help in completely mapping the contagion.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Catching Covid while buying guns to own the libs. Well okay then, you just go right ahead.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Catching Covid while buying guns to own the libs. Well okay then, you just go right ahead.
Keep the political commentary out of Breaking News threads.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 AM

Looking at the graphs on worldometer, we can make some predictions;

Assuming there is no change in policies, and things continue just as they are, the following milestones should be reached;

- By about March 4 or 5, the US should hit 1,000,000 case of Covid-19.

- By March 2 or 3, the US should hit 10,000 deaths (assuming no total breakdown of medical facilities/lack of equipment as seen in Italy In that case, the number will be more).

From there, it just goes up. Unless there are some major changes that happen NOW. TODAY. Because changes to policy are only going to show up as a decrease two weeks from now.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:11 AM

April I assume?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 AM
Elephant Whisperer

In other Southeast Asia developments, Cambodia has begun severely restricting access to the country by foreign nationals, while Singapore will jail you for six months for not practicing social distancing.

Here in Hawaii, we're up to 151 confirmed cases including 108 here on Oahu. Looks like interisland flights will soon be stopped.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

In Canadian news, starting Monday at noon (Eastern Time?), no-one showing symptoms will be allowed to board a domestic flight or train (regulated federally by Transport Canada). No word on intercity buses, which are regulated provincially.

Several provinces have implemented highway checkpoints at their borders, and interprovincial travellers are being required to self-isolate for 14 days.

A number of First Nations are erecting blockades to restrict outside traffic.

The media here are starting to call it 'physical distancing' instead of 'social distancing' to emphasize that we need to remain socially connected even if we are physically apart. Subtle yet sensible.

There are commercials on TV and the streaming services featuring the very serious Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada and head of the Public Health Agency of Canada, reminding everyone to stay at home unless necessary.

I went to the food store today, first time away from the house for three days, and they had installed transparent plexiglas shields around the payment terminals at the checkout stands. They also were no longer taking cash. I showed my points card for scanning and tapped to pay, all via Google Pay on my phone.

I don't know whether it's going to become a thing, but the Prime Minister has been giving a briefing to the media every day from the front steps of Rideau Cottage, where he lives (the official Prime Ministerial residence, 24 Sussex Dr, apparently needs repair). And his wife has just tested virus-free.

Flight attendants are pushing for better protective equipment.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
April I assume?
No, March 2021.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Looking at the graphs on worldometer, we can make some predictions;

Assuming there is no change in policies, and things continue just as they are, the following milestones should be reached;

- By about March 4 or 5, the US should hit 1,000,000 case of Covid-19.

- By March 2 or 3, the US should hit 10,000 deaths (assuming no total breakdown of medical facilities/lack of equipment as seen in Italy In that case, the number will be more).

From there, it just goes up. Unless there are some major changes that happen NOW. TODAY. Because changes to policy are only going to show up as a decrease two weeks from now.
Quote:
April I assume?
The US won't hit 1 million confirmed infections before about 8 April (my napkin math is telling me 9 April) and almost certainly will see fewer than 10,000 total deaths by 3 April (my napkin math is telling me we won't hit 10k dead until possibly as early as 4 April).

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-29-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The US won't hit 1 million confirmed infections before about 8 April (my napkin math is telling me 9 April) and almost certainly will see fewer than 10,000 total deaths by 3 April (my napkin math is telling me we won't hit 10k dead until possibly as early as 4 April).
Save those napkins. /tmi
Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 AM

The King of Thailand showing class, savoir faire and responsibility towards his people:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9431936.html

The headline says it all:

“Thai king self-isolates in Alpine hotel with harem of 20 women amid pandemic.”
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 AM

Gotta admit, were I the king of Thailand I'd do pretty much the same exact thing.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:23 AM

You can save yourself the math (and the napkin) and just extrapolate the line of the graph here. Continuing in the straight line on the log scale of deaths by country has us hitting 10K deaths in 5 days, April 3. Not saying it will or won't but not so sure how you can state so "almost certainly" fewer when that is what the curve would predict.

Less would only occur if the variety of social distancing behaviors (few lockdowns yet) from about 16 days ago had impact on the new infections that occurred then, and the curve starts to flatten, and that was before the strong lockdown approaches were in place.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
I don't know whether it's going to become a thing, but the Prime Minister has been giving a briefing to the media every day from the front steps of Rideau Cottage, where he lives (the official Prime Ministerial residence, 24 Sussex Dr, apparently needs repair).
As an aside, this is like saying the Titanic needed a little less ice. 24 Sussex was in terrible shape; it was full of asbestos, had wiring installed by Fires R Us, and every mechanical system worked as if it had been installed by vandals. It is being essentially gutted and rebuilt.

A succession of Prime Ministers avoided doing anything about it because they were terrified they'd get public flak for spending millions on "their" house.

A lot of experts have said they'd have been better off just knocking it down and starting over.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
“Thai king self-isolates in Alpine hotel with harem of 20 women amid pandemic.”
I admit, I totally pictured Yul Brynner.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Clinical trials on coronavirus drugs may take only months, researcher says

Quote:
His teams' trials are trying to answer three questions, he said: Can you prevent a person from getting infected? Once a person has the coronavirus, can you prevent them from getting more sick? And, lastly, once a person is sick, is there a treatment to fight the infection?

To address the first question, the researchers are looking for people exposed to someone known to be infected and giving them hydroxychloroquine.

"We are giving the drug to see if we can prevent them from getting infected," he said....

Two other studies are also in the works. One will look at whether the blood-pressure drug Losartan "can slow progression in early patients who are not very sick," Schacker said.

A third clinical trial will look at the impact of remdesivir, a drug that was widely promoted for treating Ebola but which failed to show any significant benefit. It has shown some promise against COVID-19 in laboratory settings.
Mrs. L.A. takes Losartan. If she gets sick, maybe it will keep her from having a severe illness. Or maybe it will keep her from getting it at all. Who knows?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:58 PM

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/chi...020182846.html

Based on funeral urns noticed, the death toll in Wuhan might actually be 42000-45000.

Quote:
As authorities lifted a two-month coronavirus lockdown in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate.

Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.

"It can't be right ... because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?" an Wuhan resident surnamed Zhang told RFA on Friday.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
April I assume?
Ha! Yes, you are correct.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:

We're actually pretty close. My best guess still remains:

April 5, the US should hit 1,000,000 cases

April 3, the US should hit 10,000 deaths

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 03-29-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM

This doesn't seem like a good idea: Hundreds at Louisiana church flout COVID-19 gatherings ban
Quote:
Hundreds of people flouted Louisiana’s COVID-19 ban on gatherings, coming on buses and in personal vehicles to the first of three Sunday services at their church a day after New Orleans police broke up a funeral gathering of about 100 people.

An estimated 500 people of all ages filed inside the mustard-yellow and beige Life Tabernacle church in Central, a city of nearly 29,000 outside Baton Rouge.
Quote:
Assistant ministers and worshippers outside the front doors and in the parking lot at Life Tabernacle told media to leave, saying cameras would not be allowed on the property and worshippers had been told not to talk to reporters. They went inside without further comment.
Quote:
Paul Quinn, a resident of Central who lives near the church, says this is a health hazard.

“Other congregations are using the Internet, Skype, and other safe ways to congregate. Why can’t they? What makes them so special?” said Quinn. “I wish state police would come out and do something. This is above our little local police level. The state needs to get involved. If they get out of church and go to the grocery store, it’s a serious health hazard. They don’t know how many people they’re affecting, and they don’t seem to care. That’s a problem.”
Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM

Maryland nursing home hit by virus outbreak
Quote:
One resident of a Maryland nursing home died after contracting COVID-19 in an outbreak that has sickened dozens of the facility’s residents and strained its staff, health officials said.

A man in his 90s who was a resident at the Peasant View Nursing Home died Saturday night after testing positive for COVID-19, Carroll County Health Health Officer Ed Singer said at a news conference. Singer said 66 residents have tested positive and 11 were hospitalized, the same numbers that were reported the previous night.
Quote:
The nursing home with 104 beds is also facing a staffing shortage as staff members say they can’t come to work.

“They’re struggling to be able to do their administration and to be able to staff and take care of their patients,” Singer said.

Singer said that to his knowledge, no staff members have tested positive for the virus but some say symptoms are keeping them from coming in.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 PM

And for those that may have missed it, Dr. Fauci said to expect from 100,000-200,000 deaths in the US from this.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
[url="https://news.yahoo.com/clinical-trials-coronavirus-drugs-may-210018324.html"]Mrs. L.A. takes Losartan. If she gets sick, maybe it will keep her from having a severe illness. Or maybe it will keep her from getting it at all. Who knows?
I take it too for BP. And it sounds like it's going to be quickly unavailable, just like that malarial drug. Thanks so much to the researcher for publicizing it.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
As an aside, this is like saying the Titanic needed a little less ice. 24 Sussex was in terrible shape; it was full of asbestos, had wiring installed by Fires R Us, and every mechanical system worked as if it had been installed by vandals. It is being essentially gutted and rebuilt.
I did not know they were actually working on it. I guess in my mind, it's been overshadowed by the parliamentary renovations.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Peasant View Nursing Home
Is that a typo in the original article, or is this nursing home just for local gentry?

OB
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Although "Peasant View" is a great name for a nursing home, it's "Pleasant."
Old 03-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Suspended

In a nearby thread on fatality predictions I said that, lacking widespread testing, we have no idea how many deaths attributed to other causes are COVID-linked. Come 2021, statisticians may compute numbers of "excess" deaths and thus assign some level of blame. But we're in the dark till we have better numbers.

My mountain county and most nearby still report cases in the low single digits. But few here are tested. So who knows?
Old 03-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Today in Austria:
  • In Vienna, all national parks have been closed since the self-isolation measures went into effect, whereas the municipal parks have remained open. And with all public entertainment and recreation venues shut down, and no other place to take in fresh air, the municipal parks are getting overcrowded with people going for walks. I've been going for walks in the parks every couple days myself and, especially on weekends, I find it hard to always keep an appropriate distance from other pedestrians. As a result of this overcrowding, the city and federal government today agreed to reopen the national parks here, including the huge gardens of the Belvedere and Schönbrunn palaces.
  • There have been some minor but quirky anomalies in the food supply. Austrian dairy producers report a huge drop in demand for milk, which has resulted in a huge surplus. So far, prices don't seem to be affected. By contrast, Vienna (or maybe all of Austria, for all I know) seems to have a shortage of yeast. Yesterday morning I visited six big-name supermarkets (three in one district and three in another) and found that every single one of them was sold out of yeast. I finally managed to find a package in a small Turkish supermarket near my home. It seems that word of the yeast shortage quickly spread among the Turkish community, as later in the day I noticed handwritten "WE HAVE YEAST" signs outside many of the other Turkish food stores in my neighbourhood. I'm not sure why yeast is in such short supply, but if I had to guess, it's because everyone who is staying at home now has enough time on their hands to bake their own bread.

I called my father today, who lives 8000 km away, on another continent, and he reported to me that they're sold out of yeast over there too. Is this a global thing?
  • Current statistics: 8774 confirmed infections (up 652 from yesterday), 86 dead (up 11 from yesterday), 479 recovered (up 69 from yesterday).
Old 03-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

John Prine hospitalized with COVID19. Apparently in critical condition.

https://tasteofcountry.com/john-prin...l-coronavirus/
Old 03-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Apologies if this has been mentioned already.
NY predicts apex in 14-21 days. Are predictions for apex (best guesses, presumably) for any other states?
Old 03-29-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
NY predicts apex in 14-21 days. Are predictions for apex (best guesses, presumably) for any other states?
Ohio is saying late April to mid May.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
We're actually pretty close. My best guess still remains:

<snip>

April 3, the US should hit 10,000 deaths
That would be my guess as well.

Quote:
I think 100,000 is pretty much baked in at this point. I devoutly hope that the body count stays under 200,000.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:28 PM

Well now Trump and his cronies are now putting forward a 2.2 million US death toll (but thank goodness they acted quickly, so the number will likely be so much lower). You see, they inherited a flawed health care system due to some prior administration’s errors.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 PM

Jerry Falwell ordered Liberty University to be reopened and now several students have tested positive.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/nearly...opened-campus?
Old 03-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Trump accuses NYC doctors and nurses of shady dealings with PPE to explain why they don't have enough of it.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Trump accuses NYC doctors and nurses of shady dealings with PPE to explain why they don't have enough of it.
Quote:
Norman Ornstein
If they actually had protective gear, imagine how many ventilators they would be smuggling out beneath them!
Quote:
Jack, Isolated and Insolent
Projecting again. He knows if it were him he’d be stealing masks, gowns, even respirators to sell for a quick buck.
CMC fnord!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
The University of Washington is projecting that North Carolina will peak between 4/17-4/27 and we should expect 2400 deaths by August.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post

By contrast, Vienna (or maybe all of Austria, for all I know) seems to have a shortage of yeast. Yesterday morning I visited six big-name supermarkets (three in one district and three in another) and found that every single one of them was sold out of yeast. I finally managed to find a package in a small Turkish supermarket near my home. It seems that word of the yeast shortage quickly spread among the Turkish community, as later in the day I noticed handwritten "WE HAVE YEAST" signs outside many of the other Turkish food stores in my neighbourhood. I'm not sure why yeast is in such short supply, but if I had to guess, it's because everyone who is staying at home now has enough time on their hands to bake their own bread.

I called my father today, who lives 8000 km away, on another continent, and he reported to me that they're sold out of yeast over there too. Is this a global thing?
Definitely in the U.S. too. I am on a bunch of cooking Facebook pages, and everyone is looking for yeast. I feel like all week I've been constantly reposting instructions on how to make your own sourdough starter without yeast. (And have given away 3 jars of my own sourdough starter.) People also reporting lots of shortages of bread, flour, and other baking supplies.

If you want fresh bread and you're stuck home anyway, now is the time for all the people who want bread but don't want to be running to the store every couple of days to do some baking. (And I am seeing a lot of my friends baking with their kids as a useful and fun indoor activity - it's even educational!)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Well, now.

Trump administration sent protective medical gear to China while he minimized the virus threat to US
Quote:
Concerns about a dwindling supply of PPE are not new. Back on February 7, the World Health Organization sounded alarm bells about "the limited stock of PPE," noting demand was 100 times higher than normal for this equipment.
Yet the same day as the WHO warning, the Trump administration announced that it was transporting to China nearly 17.8 tons (more than 35,000 pounds) of "masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials." As Secretary of State Mike Pompeo noted in the press release announcing this shipment, "These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people."
Americans indeed are a generous people. We want to help those in need. And at the time these medical supplies were shipped, more than 28,000 people in China were infected with nearly 600 deaths attributed to the virus. But how could Trump allow tons of vital medical equipment Americans to be transported to another country in February if, as he has claimed since January, he fully understood the risk the United States was facing from the virus.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Bread should be available again soon. You can hoard only so much of it, even with a chest freezer. (I've got one, can't imagine doing without one. I usually have six or seven loaves tucked away in it, so I haven't had to go looking for bread. I don't want to fill the whole damn thing with bread, after all!)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM

Yeah, I've been freezing fresh store-bought baguettes of sourdough, because you can get those usually, but not sandwich bread. Cut the loaf in thirds and bag each third individually. I've been quite surprised how fresh the bread seems if you thaw it on the counter -- still soft and seemly fresh like at the store. But now I've got like six loaves in the freezer so I'm good for a while.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-29-2020 at 08:35 PM.