Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 PM

People are idiots. We're gonna get hit just as hard as Italy did.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
As usual, the people doing stupid sh*t make the news, while the many other people doing the right thing don't. The pictures of full beaches are more than matched by the pictures of near-empty streets.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
As usual, the people doing stupid sh*t make the news, while the many other people doing the right thing don't. The pictures of full beaches are more than matched by the pictures of near-empty streets.
It only takes "enough" infected people to spread a pandemic.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
The problem is that the full beaches make the empty streets a lot less useful. What you're basically saying is "the people starting forest fires make the news, not all those people who don't start forest fires".
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM

And I also should note, the relatively empty streets of New York have made the news from my viewing.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 PM

This thread is gonna read very differently in a few months. I hope with all my heart that it will read differently because those of us who are worried about this were wrong. I'd love to be wrong. But I'm worried it will read differently because of how insane the rest of us will look.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Depends. If you're out of work and they haven't passed something that will get you through whatever time period this takes, I doubt 2 months.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This thread is gonna read very differently in a few months. I hope with all my heart that it will read differently because those of us who are worried about this were wrong. I'd love to be wrong. But I'm worried it will read differently because of how insane the rest of us will look.
Sure, but this thread isnít about the necessity of extreme measures. Itís about the public, political, and economic tolerance to them. Are you saying thatís all irrelevant? I donít think it is, especially in this country.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Sure, but this thread isnít about the necessity of extreme measures. Itís about the public, political, and economic tolerance to them. Are you saying thatís all irrelevant? I donít think it is, especially in this country.
Of course it's irrelevant, when it comes to making a decision about how to act. What if people in England got fed up with taking shelter every time a siren warned them that German bombers were coming, so they decided to pack the beaches instead? Would you be telling people who think they are fools, "but you're not considering the public tolerance when it comes to extreme decisions like staying indoors and using blackout curtains!". Screw THAT.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Okay, fine, what financial and other kinds of assistance do you envision the federal government having to offer individuals, families, and businesses of all sizes for the entire duration? Or is that irrelevant too? What happens if the nation does shut down for six months, but there is a refusal to provide the envisioned assistance (which is more than a distinct possibility)?

Also, the Blitz lasted for two and a half months, with very obvious, immediately dangerous conditions outside. Using that as an analogy for a duration four times that with a nation as large as the U.S. with a ďdelayed dangerĒ like disease isnít very useful to me.

Last edited by Leaper; 03-23-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Of course it's irrelevant, when it comes to making a decision about how to act.
That's ridiculous, of course it's relevant. How people will behave is immediately relevant in trying to control their behaviour.

Quote:
What if people in England got fed up with taking shelter every time a siren warned them that German bombers were coming, so they decided to pack the beaches instead?
Then they would have been blown up, and had that been a serious problem, the manner in which air raid warnings were made would have had to be changed.

I honestly don't think you're quite comprehending what the thread is about. It's not about how long the lockdown SHOULD be. You seem to think it should be extremely long; okay, that's your position. But the thread is not "How long should the lockdown be" it's "How long/much of a lockdown will people tolerate?"
Old 03-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Okay, fine, what financial and other kinds of assistance do you envision the federal government having to offer individuals, families, and businesses of all sizes for the entire duration? Or is that irrelevant too? What happens if the nation does shut down for six months, but there is a refusal to provide the envisioned assistance (which is more than a distinct possibility)?
of course that's not irrelevant -- the government needs to be making sure everyone is fed and supplied (ideally by piggybacking off of our already existing resource distribution chains), ensuring essential work is done, and enforcing the quarantine. There is an enormous amount of work and aid for the government to do. And the idea that the government would just refuse to provide assistance is laughable. If that happens, then the government needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Also, the Blitz lasted for two and a half months, with very obvious, immediately dangerous conditions outside. Using that as an analogy for a duration four times that with a nation as large as the U.S. with a ďdelayed dangerĒ like disease isnít very useful to me.
That's a statement about how bad people are at risk assessment, not a factor we should use to make decisions. Coronavirus will kill hundreds of times more people than the bombing of England did, yet we will not react nearly strongly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

I honestly don't think you're quite comprehending what the thread is about. It's not about how long the lockdown SHOULD be. You seem to think it should be extremely long; okay, that's your position. But the thread is not "How long should the lockdown be" it's "How long/much of a lockdown will people tolerate?"
People are stupid. That there will be idiots complaining about the quarantine and trying to find ways around it is inevitable. The government will need to enforce quarantine -- or tens of thousands, at a minimum, will die.

The quarantine doesn't need to be LONG. It needs to be THOROUGH. A total lockdown for 3 weeks would totally starve the virus of new patients, but is basically impossible in the US.

What YOU are missing is that everything that scares you about a lockdown will happen anyways, when millions are sick and tens of thousands are dead. That will disrupt our economy just as much as a quarantine would. So the answer to the question, "how much will the people put up with", is "whatever it takes, or thousands will die".

If you're asking, what WILL happen, rather than what needs to happen? Then the answer is, it's already too late. The "quarantine" instituted in the States is a total joke (and not even happening in most of the country). Waaaaaay too little, way too late -- and people already won't put up with it. We are beyond boned.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:49 PM

A sincere thanks to all for enlightening me with your posts. Between those and what I'm seeing around me, I now recognize there'll be little or no mitigation of the human and economic catastrophe that lies ahead. Desperation will force even those who have self-isolated back into society and what remains of the work force, which will be most but not all of it.

I don't think people recognize the economic devastation this will bring even if businesses reopened tomorrow. The false notion that, as Chronos said, the only people dying will be the extremely elderly and those with severe underlying diseases is a common one. Too bad for them, but they were gonna die in a year anyway; I need to feed my family. The fact most of "them" weren't going to die soon and that one doesn't need a severe underlying health issue--mild asthma will do--to become fatally ill will understandably get tossed to the winds. We can't reasonably expect people to care about the bigger picture when the smaller one is so dire.

The need for employer-provided insurance alone will drive people to ignore that bigger picture and go back to work...or try to. Yet tens of millions of hospitalizations (at an average of 11 days per) and the tumbling economy (which hurts insurance company investments) mean some insurance companies will go bankrupt. Rates will skyrocket. Medicare and Medicaid will cover some of those hospitalizations, but the expected expense will blow past Medicare and Medicaid's $582 billion budget.

Nope, we're in for unprecedented and unmitigated disaster.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It only takes "enough" infected people to spread a pandemic.
And that 'enough' could just be people going to the grocery store.

I complained earlier that shutting down restaurants was a mistake cause they were shutting down places with -70% attendance to funnel everyone through germ-infested choke points.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:11 PM

For myself, I quite like being in my own home. I've spent decades making sure it was filled with stuff I like to have and like to do. As a kid, I didn't mind getting sent to my room for the same reason.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM

Those pictures of yahoos out swimming and partying on boats are sickening to look at, no pun intended. How could anyone be that stupid? This is exactly how a potentially controllable pandemic becomes runaway out-of-control.

I think tolerance of a lockdown depends very much on individual circumstances. For most people financial considerations are foremost. I'm OK in that respect as I'm retired anyway, but many will need financial relief in the form of government aid as well as things like mortgage and rent deferrals. That's probably the biggest constraining factor. Another is mobility -- if there is a medical reason for self-quarantine, then typically the entire household is affected (our own Prime Minister self-quarantined when his wife tested positive) and one is essentially immobilized and dependent on the goodwill of friends and neighbors for essential supplies -- even where grocery delivery services exist, they're currently badly backlogged.

BTW, I forgot to pay one of my credit card bills last month, which is very unusual for me as I usually pay them in full. I got the typical annoying collection call today, which pissed me off because it was as if they were completely ignoring the crisis and many people's financial plight. I was pleasantly surprised when what the lady (at the call center of a major bank) said was, "I see that you've been a very good customer, and we were wondering if there's anything we could do to help if you're having financial difficulties". I thought that was commendable. I told her thanks, but mainly I was having memory and mental health difficulties, and would pay the full amount today.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
When do you think the US will overtake Italy in number of cases? US is currently #3 and closing fast.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
What YOU are missing is that everything that scares you about a lockdown will happen anyways
You must be confusing me with something else. There is no "anyways." The nature and length of a lockdown has a huge, huge impact on what will and won't happen.

But having said, that, the question posed by the OP is how long a lockdown people will tolerate. I'm curious as to whether you have an opinion on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonius Polemic
When do you think the US will overtake Italy in number of cases? US is currently #3 and closing fast.
How many tests are being done in the USA now, and are more being rolled out? That's really the only thing that matters. The USA almost certainly has more people actually carrying the virus. The number of officially infected people would skyrocket is you could actually test a lot of people; that's not actually how fast it's spreading though. If they have the tests ready to go the USA could be up two two million cases by Thursday, but that's just better visibility, not contagion.

The USA is so short on tests as opposed to the current need that what will likely happen is that the official number of infected will continue to rise after the actual number isn't rising anymore. The last number I can find is that 170,000 people have been tested, a ludicrously tiny number in a country of 350,000,000 people. That's not even a good portion of people with symptoms consistent with the disease. Canada has tested half that many people in a country with one ninth the population, and as a Canadian I find our efforts frustratingly short.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You must be confusing me with something else. There is no "anyways." The nature and length of a lockdown has a huge, huge impact on what will and won't happen.

But having said, that, the question posed by the OP is how long a lockdown people will tolerate. I'm curious as to whether you have an opinion on that.
I don't think what is happening now comes close to how stringent a "lockdown" will need to be. And it seems to be that people aren't tolerating the current situation -- plenty of complaining and plenty of people ignoring the situation.

So how long would people tolerate a real lockdown, like what was just announced in England? I think if we had competent leadership that wasnt afraid to explain how dire things really are, we could tolerate it for a few weeks. As is, I don't think we will tolerate it at all until so many people are sick and dying (see: italy) that it will be too late.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

The more I read others’ opinions about this, the more I see the related questions: how much are you personally willing to sacrifice to save lives? How much is the average person? Is it easy or difficult for human beings to social distance or quarantine themselves for extended periods of time? Is it easy or difficult to for authorities to force human beings to do so? What enforcement measures would be necessary to force an extended stay at home order? What would be the reaction when the breaking point is eventually reached? Is the economy relevant or not? When does it become “evil” to prioritize “money” over lives? Do any of these answers change outside America, and if so, how significantly?

Wow. There’s a lot to this. Some folks seem to think it’s a fairly simple concept, but I’m having my doubts that it is.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:33 PM

As others have pointed out upthread, I think people are conflating two topics - how long the lockdown should last and how long people will be willing to abide by it. Few, if any, Dopers dispute that a lockdown is needed, but the majority consensus in this thread seems to be that people won't tolerate it for long before flouting it.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Apparently none at all, according to this CNN article, showing crowded beaches in California, and Florida boat owners having boat parties, in some cases "rafting" -- tying multiple boats together -- to have even bigger parties!
Where's the US Navy when you need them?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:44 PM

Millions dying will hurt the economy way, way more than even months of social distancing. That's millions fewer people buying gifts, taking trips, going to restaurants, as well as coming up with new businesses and innovations. There is no conflict between saving lives and protecting the economy.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Millions dying will hurt the economy way, way more than even months of social distancing. That's millions fewer people buying gifts, taking trips, going to restaurants, as well as coming up with new businesses and innovations. There is no conflict between saving lives and protecting the economy.
Republicans are preparing their talking points for the "but old people dying is good for the economy" push. The trial balloons are already going up.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Have you done the math on this? Has anyone? I mean, I'm all for saving lives but I don't assume it's cost effective.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 AM
BANNED

How long/much of a lockdown will people tolerate?

Lockdown is very essential for people. They need to tolerate it until the coronavirus is not eradicated from this world.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know, I should think seeing LOTS of people dying, daily, without any way to access the entirely overwhelmed medical resources is actually pretty motivating.

Sure, if numbers stay where they are the risk looks one way. If those numbers start doubling and tripling daily, people’s motivation is probably going to shift as well. ‘But I still gotta work!’ Is gonna sounds different when you pretty much know it will cost your life. I think anyway.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

For the vast majority of people, working will not cost them their life.

For all people, not having food will cost them their life.

People will die from the lockdown, just as surely as people will die from the disease. Social distancing kills people-- Not everyone, not even most people, mostly the elderly. Some of those "non-essential" jobs that are on hold right now actually are essential: The lack of those jobs being done will kill people. Economic disruption kills people. Panic kills people. Heck, even things as seemingly trivial as people using the bathroom in different places than they usually do can kill people: Around here, parts of the sewer system are being overwhelmed, because everyone's flushing their toilets at home instead of at their workplaces.

The goal is not just to minimize the number who die from coronavirus. The goal is to minimize the total impact. And that means neither overreacting nor underreacting.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM

I wonder how much the fact that it’s Trump is making this more controversial than it should. People distrust him, and totally rightly so. But, like the boy who cried wolf, for once being right, truthful even, is not having any effect on those who otherwise might be inclined to listen.

Two things are certain. The total lockdown **cannot** last as long as “experts are saying”, and also that easing of restrictions will probably be not a sudden Thanos type snap “ok, everybody back to normal”, rather it will be a phased opening, with people being gradually permitted to resume activities and drop precautions in phases.

If there was someone else besides Trump, maybe we could right now be having a grown up discussion about risk acceptance and mitigation. Easter is 2.5 weeks away. That’s plenty of time to make plans on how to open, and I mean basic toe in the water stuff.

There is a tale told round these parts. A man who was to face punishment was given a choice between eating a hundred onions or receiving a hundred strokes on his back. He decided on the onions since he felt that this was the easier option. However, when he could no longer stand the onions he begged for the rod. When the rod became unbearable, he once again wanted the onions. This continued until he had eaten all the onions and received all the strokes.

Right now this is the path we are on. Very quickly the lockdown will bend and then break, it cannot be sustained at this level for the time frames being suggested. Then you will see mass flouting of the orders and efforts to enforce them will not get compliance back to levels needed to defeat the outbreak but which will certainly affect the economy. So we end up enduring both onions and strokes, ie an economic meltdown and an uncontrollable pandemic.

Last edited by AK84; 03-25-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM

I think if any president had flip flopped as much as Trump has, people would be distrustful. The guy has gone from saying this will all blow over miraculously come April 1 to telling us we need to hunker down for 18 months to telling us things will go back to normal on Easter, damned all the dead people, within a span of three weeks. Of course people are not going to listen to what he has to say, because it's obvious he will say anything.

I think most people understand we can't go full-on quarantine for 18 months. No one was advocating that anyway. But the president isn't doing himself any favors by saying "Let's go back to normal on Easter cuz that would be beautiful, right?!" No, what would be beautiful is a long-term federal plan for dealing with this thing. We know things won't be normal for a long time even when businesses are allowed to reopen. Millions of sick people and hundreds of thousands of critically ill people will not be "normal" by any stretch of the imagination. Our president should be preparing us for that reality and doing what he can to mitigate the damage everyone will incur. He shouldn't be setting us up for disappointment with false hope.

Last week he told us we were "at war". This week he's already singing "Happy days are here again." I love me some Obama, but if Obama did something like that I would think he'd lost his damn mind. But with Trump, it's normal behavior. We're supposed to shrug our shoulders and have compassion for him since he's stuck in such a shitty situation. Sorry, but I'm not giving him any more compassion. He spent the little I had left on Monday's presser.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
For the vast majority of people, working will not cost them their life.

For all people, not having food will cost them their life.

People will die from the lockdown, just as surely as people will die from the disease. Social distancing kills people-- Not everyone, not even most people, mostly the elderly. Some of those "non-essential" jobs that are on hold right now actually are essential: The lack of those jobs being done will kill people. Economic disruption kills people. Panic kills people. Heck, even things as seemingly trivial as people using the bathroom in different places than they usually do can kill people: Around here, parts of the sewer system are being overwhelmed, because everyone's flushing their toilets at home instead of at their workplaces.

The goal is not just to minimize the number who die from coronavirus. The goal is to minimize the total impact. And that means neither overreacting nor underreacting.
Why would people die from the lockdown? You seem to be assuming that our supply lines will get disrupted (I've seen no evidence of this claim, and people in the industry are telling us the supply chain is full of food and toilet paper and that we are in no danger of running out) or that the government will just allow people to starve in their homes rather than providing basic aid. Yes, if that's what the government does, things will be bad. Do you really think even Trump is that stupid and/or evil?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...tages.amp.html
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Why would people die from the lockdown? You seem to be assuming that our supply lines will get disrupted (I've seen no evidence of this claim, and people in the industry are telling us the supply chain is full of food and toilet paper and that we are in no danger of running out) or that the government will just allow people to starve in their homes rather than providing basic aid. Yes, if that's what the government does, things will be bad. Do you really think even Trump is that stupid and/or evil?
I think people are pushing this narrative that people will commit suicide when they lose their jobs/businesses. And they will also commit suicide due to social isolation.

I would argue that none of that is inevitable. We could mitigate suicides caused by a lockdown. But that would require us to think outside the "free market capitalism" box.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I think most people understand we can't go full-on quarantine for 18 months. No one was advocating that anyway.
:dubious
18 months? Try 3 and I am being very generous. At 3 months you start seeing many small businesses die and a significant number of larger ones go under. At that stage you are looking at a super Great Depression. A bit longer and itís societal breakdown.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
:dubious
18 months? Try 3 and I am being very generous. At 3 months you start seeing many small businesses die and a significant number of larger ones go under. At that stage you are looking at a super Great Depression. A bit longer and itís societal breakdown.
Cite?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I think people are pushing this narrative that people will commit suicide when they lose their jobs/businesses. And they will also commit suicide due to social isolation.

I would argue that none of that is inevitable. We could mitigate suicides caused by a lockdown. But that would require us to think outside the "free market capitalism" box.
That whole line of reasoning is the stupidest argument I've ever heard. I wasnt aware anyone except our Fearless Leader was making that argument with a straight face.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Dont some of you care about our youth? The youth that arent even affected?

No School?

No sports? (not even allowing kids to have play dates)

No summer camps?

Ok, it might be fine for the older crowd to gloat how they can stay at home with their hobbies but is it right to take away the lives of the youth?

Lets quarantine those that can be sick. Not those who wont get it.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
At 3 months you start seeing many small businesses die and a significant number of larger ones go under. At that stage you are looking at a super Great Depression. A bit longer and itís societal breakdown.
As a small business owner I've been discussing this with others in my position. I'm 62. The recent recession hit my business hard, but I struggled back. I'm tired, done fighting. There's no way I'd make three months.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM

The youth are affected.

Some will die, some will have limited lung functionality for the rest of their lives.

The youth can be carriers.

The youth will have to pay for their parents' funerals.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:59 PM
Suspended

How long can MrsRico and I stay locked down without too much discomfort? As long as the propane truck delivers and we can pick up market orders. Life's a bit more tedious but we fossils can take it. How long can LilRico's family stay in? The grandkids are having a blast on their mountain acreage and their folks work online from home anyway. How long can the cousins last? They sell used cars and newspaper adverts, have health issues and little savings, but they haven't whined yet.

How long can America and the civilized world tolerate lockdown? As long as supplies last.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
As a small business owner I've been discussing this with others in my position. I'm 62. The recent recession hit my business hard, but I struggled back. I'm tired, done fighting. There's no way I'd make three months.
I have a law practice. That's shut, except for opinions on legal matters arising from the shutdown and payment there is patchy. I have some real estate that I own. All my tenants are small businesses, who are closed. They probably will miss rent payments. I am happy to adjust. This continues for 3 months, those businesses close.

What monstro and the others don't get is that we are not in a recession or depression right now. We are in what was called by one analyst an Ice Age.
The Recession, Depression will hit when the activity starts up again and the level reached is compared with the earlier numbers and then we will know if it is a recession or a Depression. The longer the shutdown, the worse the reduction in activity when it starts up again.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post

No School?

No summer camps?

Ok, it might be fine for the older crowd to gloat how they can stay at home with their hobbies but is it right to take away the lives of the youth?

Based on this post, there seems to be a misunderstanding of what a virus is and how they work.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-25-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post

No School?

No summer camps?

Your ignorance is fucking scary.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Please do not post just a link with no explanation or indication of what it links to. A brief description of what it actually links to would be very helpful.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
This crossed my mind when someone repeated the (false) rumor that they were going to announce an 18-month shutdown.

I do not think society would tolerate a shutdown of six months; it's unlikely the economy could function that long with most people unable to work. Long before that, people would start coming out anyway. Everyone's different, but after six weeks most people are going to say "the hell with this."

We are still ramping upward in terms of people's fear and willingness to place the coronavirus scare at the top of their priority list. But as they get more and more stir crazy, and less and less worried about COVID-19 - esoecially given that for the vasy majority of folks they will be sitting around not getting it and not seeing it - and they will insist on going out.

Small businesses will, unless forced to by law, open up when it's that or bankruptcy.

There is a point at which people will be willing to accept a degree of risk of getting COVID-19. I think that point's way before six months.
This is pretty much it for me. My wife is being hyper-vigilant, and she's probably right to be that way. We've been confining ourselves in a very small space for over a week and only been out once the last two weeks. I'm getting used to it, but there will be a point at which I say "Fuck it, can't live like this."

I'm trying to decide what that threshold is. Could be a good two months of hyper-vigilance before gradually relaxing a bit. But it depends on the situation and the national response. If I see that the threat is getting closer and closer and nothing is stopping it, I might have to rethink that. I don't have a death wish, and I'd feel terrible if I infected her or other members of my family.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
This is a lot of the "Life is tough, suck it up" bullshit.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
How long can America and the civilized world tolerate lockdown? As long as supplies last.
So letís assume ideal conditions: the supply chain is in no danger, and everyone is assured that their family and their business will remain financially secure during a lockdown.

Are you thinking that Americans and/or people in general would tolerate a very long or indefinite lockdown given those conditions?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Tell that to the young person yearning to play in the senior year of spring sports. Tell it to the young waiter thrown out of work. Tell it to the senior who will no longer have graduation.

No my knowledge is just fine and I see all around whats going on.

People need to get back to work and life needs to be allowed to return.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Based on this post, there seems to be a misunderstanding of what a virus is and how they work.
Why? When I went to the grocery store there were several elderly people easily plus 70 years walking around with no masks on.

Those are the people most vulnerable and should be quarantined.

NOT the 22 year old waiter who just lost his job or the 19 year old whos college was closed.

No, I know darn well how this virus works plus I see the economic and social impact on our society.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

Please do not post just a link with no explanation or indication of what it links to. A brief description of what it actually links to would be very helpful.
That was a cite to my claim the post before.

Eta: but I could have made that clearer in the addendum post

Last edited by Babale; 03-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.