Old 03-17-2020, 10:05 AM

That Damned Virus - your most inspired panic buys?

Let's try to lift the mood a little.

My most inspired panic buy? Whisky? Mint sauce*? Yeah, I know, not very impressive. But how about this - our friend Anne has just panic bought a pair of scissors. What? Why? Simple - in case her husband has to cut her hair.

Now that is inspired panic buying. Made me laugh too.

What have you got?

j

* - if it gets really bad, we're going to be eating a lot of dalls and vegetable curries. Mint sauce? - you got half a basic raita right there.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Who doesn't already own a pair of scissors? Unless she needed a dedicated pair for hair.

For me, I just bought a decent amount of bulk food items (rice, flour, sugar, oil and margarine). There was still tons of it left on the shelf, so I wan't taking it away from other people

When this is all over, if I don't need it I'm just going to donate much of it to the food pantry. I don't do a lot of cooking with flour and when I eat rice, there is a special kind I like (instead I just bought big bags of the cheapest long white rice I could find). This is more of a survival thing than buying the kinds of rice I really enjoy.

A month worth of survival food for $35. Can't beat that.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-17-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 AM

I have become a hoarder.

The grocery store parking lot in my small town (pop 5,000) was overflowing and I was nearly out of coffee. I went the nearby CVS and they only had two jars of my favored Folgers Crystals. I bought both jars, then went to three more stores in neighboring towns and bought the last two jars in each of them.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 AM

Poppers and Lube.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Poppers and Lube.
That's the stuff!

Quick reminder: Keyword - Inspired; Key phrase - Lift the mood.

Er, what are poppers and lube?

j
Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM

Nothin'. I'm already a hoarder, who buys tons of stuff in bulk to save money, and when this transpired, I happened to be at the peak of a buying arc on most things, so BWAHAHAHAHA! to those of you who laughed at my ways, or scoffed at my ability to make my own bagels! I have frozen fruit and vegetables, canned beans, bags of flour, and can stay holed up for weeks. I even have water, because I bought it for the RO fish tank, but heck, that tank can stay dirty. I'm going to cut changes in half, and save the water.

I have not even been in a retail store since this started, albeit, I had fruit, and the soda my son likes delivered.

I got coffee. I got powdered milk. I got cans of soup (I hate cooking soup). I got potatoes. I got boxes of cereal. I got OTC meds in big bottles. I got dogfood and catfood and fishfood. I got dried pasta, olive oil, dried spices, and frozen tomatoes. I can make pasta for days and days. I got soy hot dogs in the freezer. I got a full cheese drawer in the fridge. I got enough toilet paper for six weeks. Got extra soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes. You wouldn't believe what I've got!

But Shhhhhh! don't tell my neighbors!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM

I’m not a good panic shopper. I can’t figure out what to buy and I end up buying weird stuff. Yesterday I bought like 2 pounds of sausage and 6 tubes of refrigerated biscuit dough. Because I like sausage biscuits, I guess. And ramen lots of ramen. Even though I haven’t actually eaten ramen for years.

And rice, because it was the last big bag. Even though we have a ton and hardly ever eat rice. So I got home yesterday at around dinnertime and my brother had cooked a BIG pot of rice. Nothing else. In fairness, we had lots of leftovers that paired well with rice. But I still think it was a comment on my panic shopping.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM

Local chain store has a sale, 30% off booze. And free delivery. The pantry is stocked.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Almost bought a watch from a guy in China on Facebook - $3K for a watch worth about $5K - in the end I couldn't do it. I offered to just send him a few bucks to help out but never heard back.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Thirty new books, 6 boxes of good chocolate, and 18 bottles of my favorite inexpensive wine. Oh, wait! there is a virus pandemic happening! maybe I should stock up.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
That's the stuff!

j
Think San Francisco bathhouse scene 1982.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Damn, I forgot the poppers and lube. On the right side, I already had whiskey and mint sauce. I just ordered two books (a new complete Gaudi photobook and When You Are Engulfed in Flames), though this is an indulgence. If I go to the store, I'll get ginger and jalapenos.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPG Zealot View Post
Thirty new books, 6 boxes of good chocolate, and 18 bottles of my favorite inexpensive wine. Oh, wait! there is a virus pandemic happening! maybe I should stock up.
I've never liked you more. :-)

Also, I only just now remembered the whole "handshake/rape" thing with you. (I have a shitty memory, y'all. Umkay took up my last brain cell.) Anyway, you must be laughing your tail off at that aspect of the pandemic. Who knew, you were just ahead of your time!

Oh, uh, I'm not panic buying. Well, okay, I may get 2 cartridges instead of 1 next dispensary run. Whoo boy, crazy lady here.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:03 PM

I've never liked you more. :-)

Also, I only just now remembered the whole "handshake/rape" thing with you. (I have a shitty memory, y'all. Umkay took up my last brain cell.) Anyway, you must be laughing your tail off at that aspect of the pandemic. Who knew, you were just ahead of your time!

Oh, uh, I'm not panic buying. Well, okay, I may get 2 cartridges instead of 1 next dispensary run. Whoo boy, crazy lady here.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:03 PM

My favorite Yehuda Original Gefilte Fish was on sale at the grocery store for less than I can get it for by the case on Amazon, so I stocked up (the same amount as I'd get from Amazon - I left plenty for other fortune hunters). Oddly, I was the only one buying! Seems like good apocalypse/post-apocalypse food.

Last edited by needscoffee; 03-17-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
That's the stuff!

j

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Think San Francisco bathhouse scene 1982.

Oh. So that's like a loofah and shampoo - right?

j
Old 03-17-2020, 01:29 PM

Not exactly a panic buy...

But I did head out on the weekend and bought a whole lot of veggie starter plants - probably more than I would have usually bought. Will be digging the beds this weekend, and putting in peas, broad beans, argula, spinach, mustard greens, and planting seeds for bok choy. Too early for carrots or beets or potatoes, but have the seeds for the first two ready to go.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

But I did head out on the weekend and bought a whole lot of veggie starter plants - probably more than I would have usually bought. Will be digging the beds this weekend, and putting in peas, broad beans, argula, spinach, mustard greens, and planting seeds for bok choy. Too early for carrots or beets or potatoes, but have the seeds for the first two ready to go.
I did the same this morning, since several of our garden centers are outdoors. Still wound up having to pay for seeds inside. The organics place had a big shipment of broccoli starts in this morning, opened at 10:00, and was out of broccoli by the time I got there at 11:30.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:49 PM

I haven't for this pandemic. I'm already a hoarder of sorts, so we have a lot of stuff "on habd" already.

BUT...in 2006? when the world was a'quiver over bird flu, I started researching silver. I did actually buy some silver water, and I ALMOST bought a silver generator.

I might still buy a silver generator...

~VOW
Old 03-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I bought a trampoline. It's a little one, but for adults--not one of the ones for toddlers, with a handle. It's like 2 feet across. I ordered it from Amazon on Saturday when my 8-year old started methodically jumping from couch to chair to couch to coffee table to couch and I realized that I was not gonna survive this. It was $100 I hadn't planned to spend, but that's cheaper than a new couch.

He's been jumping on it all afternoon, and just a minute ago he tried to jump on the couch and found it limp and unsatisfying. So, mission accomplished.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:43 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to find that as decimated as the soup isle was at the local HyVee, absolutely no one touched my new favorite canned chili (ground turkey w/ no beans). Joke's on you guys - that shit is delicious! I bought several cans!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:55 PM

The local independent coffee shop roasts and sells their own beans and they are excellent - who knows how long they'll be open (since they're mainly a cafe) so I've got 4 bags of beans in the freezer now.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:59 PM

I'm beached at the moment. Mr.Wrekker did some panic buying.
The word from my Mid-daughter reports he bought 10lbs of assorted dry beans (she went and bought beano)2 huge packages of paper towels, 10 cases of canned veggies, several 30pks of Budweiser. 3 handles of Jack Daniels. And, inexplicably a large bag of cotton balls.
As I'm a hoarder, a preserver and a freezer. My pantry is usually well stocked.
I hav'nt been there in a while. They may have eaten me out of house and home. IDK.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 PM

5 lb box of matzo crackers for $4.
Hit that passover section for deals

Ordered a case of olives from amazon
I do love olives
Old 03-18-2020, 12:14 AM

We planned on resurfacing our upstairs hallway "sometime soon." I now have 300 sq ft of wood flooring in my garage waiting time to put in. I got it in anticipation of being stuck at home. Work at the moment is still requiring overtime for me and the kiddos. Might be a few weeks yet before I get started or I might have to take vacation in early summer to put it in.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 AM

I bought three 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles. I should have purchased a backup card table for the pieces but I didn't think of it.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

Now this makes sense. Stuck at home for 3 months, what ya gonna do?

Gardening.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:37 AM

Hardly anything in stores. Had a hunt just for milk. So I'm doing some cold antipasto. Plenty of jars of artichoke hearts, mushrooms, roasted peppers and olives. I slice them up and mix with tuna. I'll even add some dill pickle to it.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:58 AM

2 boxes of frosted cherry Pop-Tarts.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

A couple days ago I read that someone was thinking of painting their nails a bright color to make sure they don't touch their face, and I thought that was a great idea.

Now, I haven't painted my nails but once, at a party 20 years ago with a lot of alcohol involved, but I still may pull the trigger on this. I can't decide between danger orange and hot pink, since hot pink would be more visible, but would be more likely to lead to awkward conversations, not because I'd have to explain that I don't normally paint my nails, but because I know nothing about nail fashion and would out myself as a noob.

Last edited by Ludovic; 03-18-2020 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:15 AM

Mixed success for my latest marginally inspired items. Scored a tube of ibuprofen gel (almost the only item left in the "Pain Medications" section of our local Tesco pharmacy). I reckon that if I'm on a bike, alone, in the middle of nowhere then I'm adequately self-isolated. That's what the ibuprofen gel is for - the knees - and now I won't have to go back to a pharmacy full of (potentially) sick people for quite some time.

My plan to enhance subsistence curries (see OP) took a knock back, however. The Asian grocery I went to has restricted its hours and it was closed when I turned up. Damn - no brinjal pickle purchases today. I'll try again tomorrow.

But hey - we're facing up to impending armageddon armed with a pair of scissors, a trampoline, jigsaws, books, cotton balls, poppers and lube (apparently) and all manner of (other?) treats. We're in great shape!

j
Old 03-18-2020, 01:09 PM

This wasn't really a panic buy, but I went out Monday at lunchtime to get some cannabis just because we were a little low. I bought 3.5 grams each of indica and sativa. Today on the news, I see lines of panic buyers at dispensaries in northern California, and am smug about my foresight (not really - it was just time to buy some and I lucked out with the timing).
Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Not a panic buy, just happy coincidence: Toilet Paper and Paper Towels!

About two weeks ago I noticed we were down to a couple of rolls of toilet paper, so I put it on my weekend shopping list. At the grocery store, sheleves were full. I hemmed and hawed between the 24 roll pack and the 36 roll pack, but decided I had enough room in the grocery cart to fit in the 36 roll pack. Then the paper towels. They weren't on my list, but I had room, so what the heck, might as well get some. So a six pack of paper towels.

Mrs Piper thinks I have god-like intuition, but it was just my last ordinary shopping trip before . . . The End of Days! [cue spooky music]
Old 03-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought some tuna fish to make sandwiches but then when I went to the mayonnaise aisle, all they had left was organic mayonnaise which cost twice as much. So I guess organic mayonnaise is the only thing I've bought that wouldn't be on my regular shopping list.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:43 PM

I bought a really nice office chair for home. I had promised one to myself for Christmas, but never got around to it. Amazed one of my work colleagues by buying it on the spot as we were talking about it at work, quick internet purchase and picked up from the warehouse the next day. Two days later work from home came in.

Last edited by Francis Vaughan; 03-21-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 AM

How about an apartment? OK, it's a panic rental rather than a panic buy, strictly speaking, but similar idea.

On Monday Trep Junior, who is a key worker (NHS) and was commuting by train into London, announced: I'll catch it, that's inevitable; but you could die from it. And with that he moved out. (He had moved back in a little while ago, for a variety of reasons - it's a long story.)

He moved in with his girlfriend (also NHS keyworker) in her shared house, which is not ideal, but they have already found an apartment (flat - I'm assuming I'm using the correct word for the US) and will move in shortly. On Friday evening we packed the car with his stuff and drove into London with it (while that's still allowed ). And we took some shopping that Mrs T had done for them. (I don't know if you've seen the now-familiar news story - keyworker gets off a long and exhausting shift, goes to the store to find that there is no food. They tried 5 stores with no luck on Thursday*). They took the stuff from the car as we stood 2 meters away, and then we left. Strange times.

j

PS: for your next panic buy, Mrs T recommends an Alice band.

*- amusing aside - stores generally have rapidly made arrangements for over 70s to have exclusive shopping for an hour every morning. NHS keyworkers were also granted the same exclusive shopping rights, so that for an hour each day those at most risk of catching COVID-19 and those at most risk of dying from it were being forced to mingle. It's being sorted out.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:43 AM

When all swimming halls were closed earlier this week, I did not want to abandon my recently re-aquired affection to swimming, so I bought a wetsuit. (In these latitudes, open-water swimming with just a swimsuit is pretty much reserved for July-August)

Hmm, I also have a bicycle and like to run, so with wetsuit I could sign up for some triathlon event (once they are again possible to arrange)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
... I did actually buy some silver water, and I ALMOST bought a silver generator.

I might still buy a silver generator...
It's entirely possible this post was a whoosh, but just in case it wasn't, The Mayo Clinic says this about silver:
Quote:
Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis.

However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures.

Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine (Cuprimine, Depen), quinolone antibiotics, tetracycline and thyroxine (Unithroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid) medications.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Dupe post due to excessive server timeouts.

Last edited by Musicat; 03-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM

An armful of strong Belgian beer.

No-one was deprived; the refrigerators were full.

The shop closed 5 hours later, probably forever.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:53 PM

nm

Last edited by Bert Nobbins; 03-22-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Duplicate post due to time-out
Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM

Sex toys
Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
Sex toys
LOL - I was gonna say "vitamin E", but same idea
Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Now this makes sense. Stuck at home for 3 months, what ya gonna do?

Gardening.
A lot of people apparently have the same idea. (It's a good idea.) I'm a small scale produce farmer, and order from a batch of companies most of which also sell to home gardeners. My mailbox has been filling up with emails saying, in various wording, 'we're being swamped with orders and will get them out as fast as we can, but it's going to take us longer than usual to get things shipped.'

(My own seed orders have been here for a while; but I hope the delayed-ship live plant starts (strawberries, asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes) will arrive on schedule.)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 PM

I increased by internet bandwidth to 1 gig

I have pretty much everything else left over from a "prepping" phase i went through around 2012.