Old 03-20-2020, 02:15 AM

Which "non-essential" businesses are actually essential?

In response to the pandemic, state and local governments are quickly deciding what parts of the economy are "essential."

The regulations for Los Angeles are fairly typical of this:

"Workers in healthcare, government and the food industry will be able to travel for work, and grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations and other essential businesses will remain open." (The Guardian)

But... which businesses are they shuttering that will turn out to be essential?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:57 AM
Suspended

KSBY (San Luis Obispo, CA) lists which businesses are open during shelter-at-home in that central California coast county.
Quote:
Posted: 9:19 AM, Mar 19, 2020 Updated: 10:37 AM, Mar 19, 2020

Here's a list of the businesses and industries San Luis Obispo County officials say are allowed to continue operating despite the shelter-at-home order:

ESSENTIAL SERVICES

Public safety and first responders, including dispatch and emergency response
Utility companies - sewer, gas, electrical, internet and water
Airport operations
Transportation providers - buses, taxi, ride-share operators
Essential government operations (check with each jurisdiction)
Non-profit and educational entities, to the extent that they provide essential services
Health care operations - doctors, dentists, pharmacies, veterinarians, mental health professionals
Banks and related financial institutions
Mailing and shipping services
Laundromats, dry cleaners and other laundry services
Restaurants and other food serves can remain open ONLY for delivery or carry-out
Businesses that ship groceries to residents
Home-based care for seniors, adults or children
Grocery stores
Food banks
Certified farmers' markets
Stores that provide household items such as sanitary items
Food cultivation such as farming, livestock and fishing
Businesses that provide food, shelter, social services and other necessities
Newspapers, television and radio
Gas stations, auto supply and auto repair
Hardware stores
Plumbers, electricians, exterminators
Businesses that allow people to work from home (example, office-supply stores)
Businesses that allow other businesses to remain open (example, custodial)
Childcare services

San Luis Obispo Mayor Heidi Harmon says the following non-essential businesses and services are not allowed to operate for the time being:

NON-ESSENTIAL SERVICES

Gyms and fitness centers
Movie theaters
Amusement centers
Bars and nightclubs
Salons, barbers and spas
Auto sales
Clothing retail
Bookstores
Other retail
Private clubs
Industrial and manufacturing not related to essential function
Other counties and cities may differ. Check with your local jurisdiction.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Did you miss this part of the question?

Quote:
which businesses are they shuttering that will turn out to be essential?
It wasn't asking which businesses are considered essential now.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 AM

I'm glad I took my son in for a haircut last week.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:34 AM

I wonder if places like Petsmart count as "Grocery stores," "Stores that provide household items," or even "vets." They are where many people go for their pets' food, and that includes special food for pets on diets directed by vets.

I also wonder if you are allowed to go out to walk your dog. I mean, you must be allowed to go out to let it poop and pee, but can you take it on a walk for exercise? a stir-crazy dog can be a real problem.

I'm REALLY glad I just got a delivery from Chewy.com two weeks ago. I have at least 2 months worth of pet food.

I don't know what will happen if I can't at the very least walk my dog around the complex twice a day.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I wonder if places like Petsmart count as "Grocery stores," "Stores that provide household items," or even "vets." They are where many people go for their pets' food, and that includes special food for pets on diets directed by vets.
I would WAG those petstores and vets would be open. I would hope it's understood that having pets die isn't going to help the situation. Same for vets, I'd imagine they're covered being a medical office In fact, at least some of the vets in my area are implementing the same protocol as medical offices and hospitals. The sick patient (be it your dog or your grandpa) can come in, you have to wait outside.

Quote:
I also wonder if you are allowed to go out to walk your dog. I mean, you must be allowed to go out to let it poop and pee, but can you take it on a walk for exercise? a stir-crazy dog can be a real problem.
When I read an article yesterday about the 24 hour quarantine in LA, it specifically said as long as people aren't congregating in groups of 10 or more, there's no restriction against going outside, going for walks, riding your bike etc.

I'm waiting to see if they're going to spread the quarantine to the rest of the country. I'm not sure I understand what 24 hours is supposed to do on a virus with a 2-14 day incubation period, but so far it seems that once one place does something, everyone else follows suit.

I guess this is a good time to work in a grocery store. So far, other than being really busy, it's been business as usual for us and, other than medical offices, we'll likely be one of the last business types to get forcibly shut down.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
On the Sacramento County Public Health FAQ, under "What are 'essential businesses'?" it says:

Quote:
and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supplies, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products).
So yes, it sounds like those places will remain open.

Quote:
On the same site, under "What are 'essential activities'?" it says:

Quote:
To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements, such as, walking, hiking, biking, running or equestrian activities.
And also:

Quote:
To care for a family member or pet in another household.
I would think walking a dog would fall under both of those categories.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03-20-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOneEye View Post
It wasn't asking which businesses are considered essential now.
Guess I assumed Dopers could read the non-essential list and judge on their own. Silly me. Okay, we have:
Gyms and fitness centers; Movie theaters; Amusement centers; Bars and nightclubs; Salons, barbers and spas; Auto sales; Clothing retail; Bookstores; Other retail; Private clubs; Industrial and manufacturing not related to essential function
Gosh, which of those can I *not* live without? For fitness, I walk. For amusement, I read and make music. For barbering, MrsRico trims me. We're not buying another auto soon. We have enough clothes and can order more, or grab some at WalMart. We've many books, real and virtual. Other retail can wait. Our private club is the Elks and they're still allow RV plugins even if the bar is closed. We're not in industry. So none of those seem likely to be "essential".

I wonder if the gourmet ice-cream parlor down the road will close. They've outside tables. Gourmet handmade ice-cream may be necessary for some. Sad.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:44 PM

Auto sales might turn out to be essential for people who wreck their cars. I mean, we're all doing less driving now, but not none. Someone's going to total their car. And then what? Take public transportation?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm glad I took my son in for a haircut last week.
I'm in Virginia, not DC, and there's no ban on anything yet - but when I was out the other day I saw the nail salon and the hair salon next door to it - both open for business.

I can't imagine they had many customers.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was surprised to read that in Pennsylvania, coal mines were initially not considered essential workplaces and were ordered to close down. I suppose they had a point considering that (1) electricity consumption is down since the pandemic started and (2) coal is no longer as dominant a fuel for electricity generation as it once was. However, an updated list released shortly after the initial announcement removed coal mines from the list of businesses that had to close.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Iím going to need to go the barber eventually. Thatís the only thing I can think of
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Iím going to need to go the barber eventually. Thatís the only thing I can think of
Me too, but when I was in college I didn't get a haircut for several years, so that is definitely not essential.

As for dog walking, I've heard officials explicitly say that dog walking was permitted and encouraged. People walking too, to not get stir crazy. The other day I walked past two police cars parked in the lot of the elementary school with no problems. Lots of people are out, leaving space though.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Auto sales might turn out to be essential for people who wreck their cars. I mean, we're all doing less driving now, but not none. Someone's going to total their car. And then what? Take public transportation?
Yeah, that's what stood out to me. Buying a new (-to-you) car isn't always a necessity, but sometimes it is.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I sure as hell hope pet groomers are considered essential. Otherwise the Ukulele Lady is going to take her newly-bought set of clippers to the poodles tomorrow. And I don’t want passersby laughing at my dogs.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:04 PM

I'm wondering about lawn care companies. I own a fertilization company and I spray lawns solo from May through October. If Michigan goes the route of CA and NY, I wonder what this does to my season.

Not to mention companies that mow and the people that rely on them.

I mean, it's outdoors, no contact with residents...
Old 03-20-2020, 10:16 PM

GameStop, that's right.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/tech/...ess/index.html
Old 03-20-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I'm wondering about lawn care companies. I own a fertilization company and I spray lawns solo from May through October. If Michigan goes the route of CA and NY, I wonder what this does to my season.

Seems like the risk of continuing to do your job would be incredibly low.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:30 PM

I haven't seen mentioned yet in any of the can-do or can't-do lists:
Funeral operations, morticians, undertakers, gravediggers, all the related work in that whole industry. Seems like they're going to be a little bit more essential than usual.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:34 PM

ALL the jobs related to producing food and other essentials, raising and growing, processing, packing, canneries, transportation, warehousing. The lists I've see of permitted jobs in these areas all look kind of ad-hoc, like the health authorities just dashed off a few tasks they could think of off the tops of their heads.

How about the entire production, supply lines, transportation, and application of fertilizers, pesticides, other ag chemicals? How about crop-dusters? ETA: And that would further imply all the kinds of jobs for supporting aviation activities, aircraft maintenance and inspections, avgas, etc.

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-20-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:38 PM

What I think it may end up as (and I imagine this is the OP's point), the list of "essential" works may wind up being far longer than we thought and much longer than the list of "non-essential" work.

In other words, all the lockdowns will end up not being very locked down at all.

We'll still need to stand six feet apart waiting at the cash registers.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 AM

As odd as it may sound, gyms and fitness centers, but not for their usual clientele. I have had discussions with several over-the-road truck drivers who rely on a gym membership to provide a place to shower. Many gyms have parking lots large enough for semi trucks to park overnight, and are often in strip mall developments with nearby restaurants to get some carryout.

Drivers are absolutely essential to keep critical goods moving. Support services for drivers need to keep operating to keep supply lines open.

But such gyms could also be used to provide shower facilities for other essential workers who are not not returning home to provide isolation from families.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, country life. We can hike with our dogs and never leave our property. We can ride our horses and never leave the woods, never see another person. Our dogs and horses are loving this crises so far.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

New York State has a website with the official list of categories of essential businesses. All other businesses cannot operate in person as of 8:00 p.m. this Sunday, March 22.

When I read the list, I thought I had better make a quick run to the liquor store this morning to top up what we were low on before they shut down. However, the clerk in the store told me that Governor Cuomo considered them essential, so they would be staying open. I guess liquor falls within food and beverage.

In answer to to some of the questions upthread, at least for New York:

1) "Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries" are essential.
2) "Agriculture/farms" are essential. I'm sure that fertilizers/pesticides for agriculture falls within this, but I would doubt that residential lawn care does.
3) "Mail and shipping services," and "warehouse/distribution and fulfillment" are essential. This would cover transportation for essential industries, as well as, I suppose, Amazon and other online sales/distribution companies.
4) "Auto repair" is essential, but auto sales is not.
5) "Emergency veterinary and livestock services" are essential, but not pet stores (or, Uke, I'm afraid, pet groomers). However, most grocery stores carry pet food, if not necessarily your favorite brand.

For other situations, the website I linked to has a procedure for businesses to request to be designated as essential on a case-by-case basis.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Bill- What about legal services?

A lot of legal stuff (contracts, closings, etc) can be done remotely. But what about the guy who gets arrested and thrown in Rikers? What about court cases in progress?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sudan View Post
In response to the pandemic, state and local governments are quickly deciding what parts of the economy are "essential."

The regulations for Los Angeles are fairly typical of this:

"Workers in healthcare, government and the food industry will be able to travel for work, and grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations and other essential businesses will remain open." (The Guardian)

But... which businesses are they shuttering that will turn out to be essential?
I've been wondering about dual-use places. For example, in the UK, they just closed the gyms. However, a lot of physical therapists work out of gyms. Some gyms even have treatment rooms set aside for the therapists. They've also shut the pubs, but a lot of rural pubs are multi-purpose. Most of their secondary purposes aren't essential, but some provide catering services to schools or small nursing homes, run local shops, collect deliveries, and provide other community services. It would seem sensible that businesses would be allowed to continue to provide secondary services that don't involve mass gatherings, but there's a lot of uncertainty about the details of the government's shut-down edict.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
In fact, at least some of the vets in my area are implementing the same protocol as medical offices and hospitals. The sick patient (be it your dog or your grandpa) can come in, you have to wait outside.
Thanks to parvo any vet worth going to has isolation and sanitation procedures down pat. The clinic we use has a big sign on the door:
If you even think your puppy might have parvo please take it around back and ring the bell.
They bring out a table used just for the purpose, do their testing in the alleyway and afterward, clean everything with some super-duper sanitizer.

Unfortunately, Grandma would probably object to an exam in the alley out back.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
A lot of legal stuff (contracts, closings, etc) can be done remotely. But what about the guy who gets arrested and thrown in Rikers? What about court cases in progress?
The New York State court system has been operating under a series of increasingly restrictive administrative orders (list and links here). Each court has its own protocols, but the general, statewide rules provide (.pdf):

Quote:
Essential functions in various courts include, but are not limited to, the following:
Supreme Court: Mental hygiene applications, civil commitments and guardianships, and others as the court may allow.
Family Court:Child protection proceedings, juvenile delinquency proceedings, family offenses and emergency support orders, and other as the court may allow.
Housing matters: Essential applications such as landlord lockouts, serious codedviolations, and repair orders, and others as the court may allow.
New York City Criminal Court/City Courts: Criminal arraignments, requests for orders of protection, driverís license suspension lifts and emergency applications, and others as the court may allow.
All courts: Judges may determine that other individual matters are ďessential.Ē ...

Jury trials in progress in civil and criminal cases shall continue. However, no new trials will be started until further notice. ...

Residential evictions, court-ordered auctions, and residential foreclosure proceedings have been suspended.
Otherwise, civil litigation is pretty much at a halt, except for things that can be filed electronically. I'm not sure where things are going on the criminal side with respect to incarcerated defendants, but that everything is pretty much stayed for non-incarcerated defendants. Also, New York City has set up facilities for video arraignments.

Federal courts, which are pretty much all electronic filing (except for the self-represented) and have reasonably good facilities for telephonic appearances, are operating remotely to the extent possible.

Interestingly, the Governor has put in place a procedure for remote notarization. In some counties, including in New York City, real estate documents can be filed electronically for recording, so many real estate transactions can proceed remotely. However, some other county clerks are closed, and the industry is working out procedures for that.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Yeah, that's what stood out to me. Buying a new (-to-you) car isn't always a necessity, but sometimes it is.
I would think private sales of used cars are still OK. And sadly, the increasing unemployment will mean a lot more used cars available for sale.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:44 AM

How about opticians, more more exactly eyeglass shops? When you need glasses, you need glasses.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post
New York State has a website with the official list of categories of essential businesses. All other businesses cannot operate in person as of 8:00 p.m. this Sunday, March 22.

When I read the list, I thought I had better make a quick run to the liquor store this morning to top up what we were low on before they shut down. However, the clerk in the store told me that Governor Cuomo considered them essential, so they would be staying open. I guess liquor falls within food and beverage.

In answer to to some of the questions upthread, at least for New York:

1) "Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries" are essential.
2) "Agriculture/farms" are essential. I'm sure that fertilizers/pesticides for agriculture falls within this, but I would doubt that residential lawn care does.
3) "Mail and shipping services," and "warehouse/distribution and fulfillment" are essential. This would cover transportation for essential industries, as well as, I suppose, Amazon and other online sales/distribution companies.
4) "Auto repair" is essential, but auto sales is not.
5) "Emergency veterinary and livestock services" are essential, but not pet stores (or, Uke, I'm afraid, pet groomers). However, most grocery stores carry pet food, if not necessarily your favorite brand.

For other situations, the website I linked to has a procedure for businesses to request to be designated as essential on a case-by-case basis.
There's also a clause that allows for single employee/occupant businesses to continue, like gas stations and, presumably, some residential lawn care.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Locally, at least, construction workers seem to be exempt. There are 2 homes going up in my neighborhood, plus a few remodeling projects, and as of Friday (20 March), the cement trucks are rolling, the drywall & lumber delivery is continuing, and the worker vans/autos haven't changed their schedules at all. It even seems like they are increasing the work load to meet some kind of deadline.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sudan View Post
.. which businesses are they shuttering that will turn out to be essential?
I'm tempted to nominate the libraries.

Libraries around here are shut down entirely. Not just the programs; not even just the indoors, with pickup available. Shut entirely. They don't even want you to return your books/materials -- due dates have been extended, and you're not supposed to bring anything back until they re-open.

Yes, I know; and I've got a computer, and an iPad, and plenty of stuff on paper in the house that I either haven't read yet or that bears re-reading. But in this area there are quite a few people who don't have computers and tablets and ereaders at home; and most of them don't have a small library's worth of reading matter in the house, either.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 PM

A neighbor told me how the local Department of Motor Vehicles is operating: They are only letting in one (or a few?) person at a time. This is even for people with appointments. You go there and they give you a number at the door, and you give them your mobile phone number. Then you go wait in your car in the parking lot. They will call you when your number is up. He said he only had to wait two hours, as opposed to the more usual four hours.

(So what happens to people who don't have a mobile phone, or don't have it with them?)

If it becomes apparent that computers at public libraries are "essential" perhaps they will bring in a skeletal staff to run them like that?

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-21-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

That has been an issue in some locations already. Puerto Rico's own lockdown + curfew was done with our usual panache for thinking things through in advance, and there have had to be some daily expanded explanations as to how if a business is "essential", its suppliers need to be allowed to be making deliveries and the people who service their equipment need to be able to make site calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I'm in Virginia, not DC, and there's no ban on anything yet - but when I was out the other day I saw the nail salon and the hair salon next door to it - both open for business.

As y'all may know, myself posted to NoVA until at least after the election; the place I go to for my haircuts closed up yesterday out of an abundance of caution. (I has already gone shortly before and did choose to get a shorter than usual cut just in case. Even then already down to only two chairs open and the appointments set up to have no more than 2 people waiting.)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's also a clause that allows for single employee/occupant businesses to continue, like gas stations and, presumably, some residential lawn care.
I don't know if it is legal or not, but in my neighborhood the lawn care services are operating. I see plenty on my walks. Makes sense - they don't exactly work closely to one another or to their clients. Sure they could spread it among the crew, but that would happen anyhow.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
(So what happens to people who don't have a mobile phone, or don't have it with them?)
They can come home and complain about it here. Then I will point and laugh because they will surely be one of those nimrods whoís always nattering on about how they donít have a cellphone or have one and never even carry it because what possible use could they have for such a thing?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
How about opticians, more more exactly eyeglass shops? When you need glasses, you need glasses.
I'd imagine they'd (even places that only sell glass, but don't do exams) would be considered medical offices.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post

You might be surprised. My sister has been working for a salon, and they were still booking customers as late as Thursday for Saturday appointments. My sister was praying for the Illinois shelter in place order to come through so she didn't have to tell her boss to go fuck herself.

My brother-in-law has diabetes and congestive heart failure and is prone to pneumonia, and my sister and nephew are asthmatic, and she was not about to possibly risk the life of anyone in her household for a $10/hour part-time receptionist job. I don't blame her one bit.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Order yourself some clippers and do it at home!
Old 03-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I would love to have someone deliver a load of bulk compost for my home veggie garden but haven't been able to find anyone to do it yet. Several local places are closed. It seems that any activity geared toward agriculture or food production is considered essential under Illinois' shelter in place order. Maybe you can do something like that instead?
Old 03-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

duplicate post

Last edited by Eva Luna; 03-22-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:14 AM

What about laundromats? I guess people could wash their clothes at home but that's not really practical, especially if you have kids.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
What about laundromats? I guess people could wash their clothes at home but that's not really practical, especially if you have kids.
The Illinois shelter in place order states that laundromats are essential businesses.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
GameStop, that's right.
Surely a contender for most conspicuous greed during this crisis.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
I would love to have someone deliver a load of bulk compost for my home veggie garden but haven't been able to find anyone to do it yet. Several local places are closed. It seems that any activity geared toward agriculture or food production is considered essential under Illinois' shelter in place order. Maybe you can do something like that instead?
That's a great idea. We're actually an all organic lawn and garden company, and we sell and deliver a shit-ton of our own vermicompost to home gardeners (in addition to the lawn fertilization). This is giving me a bit of an idea for potential lawn customers this year. Thanks and now off to go formulate some stuff....

ETA: this whole situation is really forcing small businesses owners to think outside the box and on their toes these days.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-22-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:12 PM

Missed the edit window: this whole covid situation is really forcing small businesses owners to think outside the box and on their toes to keep everything they've built from collapsing. I find it terrifying, yet somewhat exhilarating as well. We've sort of operated on momentum and routine for the past few years, but now we have to really figure out what to say, do, offer in this new environment, and how to plan for a half dozen contingencies. My biggest concern is customers who paid for services at the end of last year cancelling and asking for a refund because the economy is tanking. If that starts happening, we're toast.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a great idea. We're actually an all organic lawn and garden company, and we sell and deliver a shit-ton of our own vermicompost to home gardeners (in addition to the lawn fertilization). This is giving me a bit of an idea for potential lawn customers this year.
I did find a place that is doing limited topsoil/compost deliveries to individuals in specific circumstances - when I told them I was asthmatic and doing whatever I can to avoid people and minimize grocery store trips, they offered to make an exception for me once they figure out how they are handling delivery logistics. (I told them thanks, but not to make me a priority - it's still too cold to plant what I want to plant in that spot anyway.)

One of the seed companies I sometimes order from is apparently completely slammed with orders, because in addition to this being spring planting season, lots of people are seeing the utility of growing their own food. Anyway, good luck!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post

When I read the list, I thought I had better make a quick run to the liquor store this morning to top up what we were low on before they shut down. However, the clerk in the store told me that Governor Cuomo considered them essential, so they would be staying open. I guess liquor falls within food and beverage.(snip)
I've seen data that estimates adults with alcohol abuse disorder to be 7.2% of the population, making that 17 million problem drinkers in the US. If you figure that 20% of them might be addicted badly enough to need treatment if deprived of their addictive drug, you'll see why having three and a half million alcoholics in the midst of delirium tremens showing up in the emergency rooms during this public health crisis would be a bad thing.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Liquor stores.