Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Agents of SHIELD Season 6 returns next week

Trailer was released today so I figure we should get a thread going. No idea how much they'll reference Endgame, if at all, so what should the policy for Endgame spoilers be?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Also, they're making a Ghost Rider spinoff for Hulu:
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/gho...es-1203202305/
Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Some echos of bringing back Brett Dalton after the Ward died. I'm willing to give them a chance to make it a compelling story.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM

I'm looking forward to the new season, especially how it might to Endgame. Are Endgame spoilers in spoiler tags OK?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:38 PM

I think boxed spoilers unless the show covers it specific should be fine.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Cool!

SPOILERS for both Endgame and the end of Season 5:

SPOILER:
So I think I saw Coulson on the list of the missing in Avengers HQ... If I'm right, does this mean he survived a few days (or even just hours) on Tahiti only to be dusted? If he died of dusting, then theoretically his terminally-ill self comes back alive 5 years later. I know the show creators have insisted Coulson is dead, but I find it's an odd inclusion in Endgame, given that in theory none of the Avengers know Coulson survived his attack by Loki. Then again, I could just be over-reading into a situation in which the TV scriptwriters didn't know how the movie script would end and possibly vice-versa.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Anybody know if this will be on Hulu?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Agents Assemble, its Season 6

Hopefully I did not miss a thread already started.

SPOILER:
Nothing mentioned regarding the snap or events that took place in infinity or endgame

Shield looks to be back and out of the shadow world and running business out of the lighthouse, and the new story line takes place a year after Chicago and that really bad parking job. Mack is the new director, and seems to have a full roster of team members plus Quinn Jets.

Quake, Simmons, Piper yada yada are on the bus touring the universe looking for Fitz.

Looks like we are going full fringe here folks, with Fauxlson and his team of merry men.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Yeah, it appears that AoS has irrecovably severed itself from the MCU. I'm taking a wait and see on this one - we have no idea what Sarge/Coulson and his small crew are up to, and apparently Quake and Jemma are torturing their way across the galaxy to find Fitz.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Merged threads
Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 AM

I'm usually a week or so behind on these, but I just caught up.

A perfectly fine beginning to the season IMO. SHIELD tends to get real stupid before it gets REAL good, so I'll give this season a country mile before writing it off. Honestly the hardest thing was remembering what happened last season and how it works with this one. Case in point: Did Yo-Yo lose her powers? I remember her hands getting severed by the living Bratz doll, and I remember she killed a dude and that's why she and Mack are no longer together, but her hand-to-hand with May makes it seem like she has no powers. Can someone remind me?

Two other points:

1. I don't watch much scripted TV at all save for Game of Thrones and you can really tell just how cheap SHIELD is compared to it! Obviously an ABC series isn't going to get the budget of HBO, so it's not fair to compare, but yikes is it noticible.

2. The Whedon's sure love Central Indiana! A handful of seasons ago saw the team head to Muncie to grab a Ball State student and this past episode saw not only a return to Muncie, but also a Castleton shoutout. It's also patently obvious the writers have never actually BEEN to Central Indiana as Castleton is a super rich suburb of Indy (aka, no street-tough black kids playing on a playground basketball court) but also a laughably HUGE Natural History Museum in Muncie that doesn't exist. What? They couldn't get the rights to Minnetrista?

Mrs. Cups "You know, I've never thought this, but short-hair Coulson can get it"
Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Ruby cut off Yo-yo's arms. Mack fitted her out with some robot arms he salvaged from LMDs. The first time she tried to superspeed with them, something bad happened, because the nerve impulses to the arms were too fast or some other technobabble. So Mack fixed it. But Yo-yo's very first act with her fixed arms was to slit Ruby's throat, which made all the other SHIELD agents very sad, especially Mack.

So she should still have super-speed, but was practicing her fighting skills without it I guess?
Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM

That does ring a bell.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2019, 07:55 AM

So Yo-Yo does have her super speed.

I'm incredibly disappointed that the portal paint wasn't blue on one side, and orange on the other.

Frankly, the SHIELD agents are the most boring part of the show now. I'm OK with that - Fitz and Coulson/Sarge pretty much carried the show anyway IMHO.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Every time Enoch is on my screen is a treasure.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Every time Enoch is on my screen is a treasure.
Good point. Just make the whole show Fitz & Enoch traveling through the galaxy.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM

I smell a spinoff! It's gotta be better than the one with Bobbi and whats-his-face

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 05-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnylder View Post
I'm looking forward to the new season, especially how it might to Endgame.
This morning I read an interview with Whedon et. al. In which they said this season takes place pre-Snap.

They said it was because when they started production, they didnít know if ABC was going to put them on in January, pre-Endgame, or now, post-Endgame. So they decided to duck the whole issue.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM

The only vague-ish connection Endgame that I can see, and I gather it may be unintentional:

SPOILER:
When Captain America hopped in the time machine at the end of the movie to restore the infinity stones to their rightful place, or whatever (the movie was kind of a mess on this point, but time-travel stories almost always are), somebody warned him that a mistake "could create all kinds of nasty alternative realities" or something. I gathered this happened, retroactive to the distant past, and "Sarge" and his crew have been travelling these realities for a while.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Anybody still watching? The Fitz/Enoch episode was excellent, at least the parts with Fitz & Enoch. Simmons has gotten barely tolerable, and frankly, I wish they had written Daisy out of the show a few seasons ago.

The more recent episode was less interesting. Seeing Zeke running his own high tech startup was funny for a few minutes, but they really couldn't get a whole episode out of it.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Anybody still watching? The Fitz/Enoch episode was excellent, at least the parts with Fitz & Enoch. Simmons has gotten barely tolerable, and frankly, I wish they had written Daisy out of the show a few seasons ago.

The more recent episode was less interesting. Seeing Zeke running his own high tech startup was funny for a few minutes, but they really couldn't get a whole episode out of it.
Yuppers still watching it. And it has to be the most unique season to date.

Bit annoyed I cant watch it this friday, cause its getting pre empted for some fucking basketball game
Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM

The Fear and Loathing episode was fun, despite only using half the crew. But the latest episode, Code Yellow, was just terrible writing. It really felt like the writers just came up with a couple of scenes that they wanted to have happen and then... just had them happen, without laying any of the necessary groundwork or having the situations arise naturally from the characters. That's kind of the essence of bad writing.

I'm willing to overlook a lot of logic in order to get to the "cool parts", but there's a limit. I just couldn't buy most of what happened here.

- Deke being allowed to develop and market future technology for a year without SHIELD or anyone else caring, despite (twist) there being a SHIELD agent embedded with him.
- YoYo not using her powers to handily defeat the alien parasite, just to set up the alien scene and take TallGuy out of the picture.
- May charging off alone to take out the female member of Coulson's gang, despite having no real connection with her, just to get another woman v. woman martial arts fight.
- New scientist guy being used solely for speculative exposition rather than actually doing anything to address the problem. A stethoscope? An EKG? Having the containment unit located conveniently down the hall rather than in the medical lab?
- Deke heading back into the building to rescue Sequoia, unarmed, rather than informing the rest of the team what's going on. And the SHIELD agent who was watching him letting it happen, and then not even following.
- Deke emptying his weapon into the bad guy who's already down, as an obvious joke, just to set up the 'click, your gun's empty' moment with the next bad guy, so that we get a flight scene instead of a fight scene, despite there being at least one other agent there with a loaded weapon.
- Coulson's team being experts on eliminating these anomalies, but not knowing that extracting the knife from the body would allow the thing to regenerate and live again. Even if SHIELD wasn't a thing, normal law enforcement would have removed the knife sooner or later.

On a larger level, they're obviously trying to steer things so that Coulson and team have a noble purpose, or at least are the lesser of two evils. Presumably as a way to maneuver into having NewCoulson rejoin the show as a team member. I don't have much confidence that they're going to be able to support that kind of heel-face turn, though, given how casual the bad guys have been about killing innocent people along the way. There's only so far you can go with 'the ends justify the means' and still have a sympathetic character. Unless it turns out that NewCoulson isn't really the one in charge, or he's been brainwashed, or some other handwavium, that's going to ring pretty false.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
- Deke being allowed to develop and market future technology for a year without SHIELD or anyone else caring, despite (twist) there being a SHIELD agent embedded with him.
- YoYo not using her powers to handily defeat the alien parasite, just to set up the alien scene and take TallGuy out of the picture.
- May charging off alone to take out the female member of Coulson's gang, despite having no real connection with her, just to get another woman v. woman martial arts fight.
- New scientist guy being used solely for speculative exposition rather than actually doing anything to address the problem. A stethoscope? An EKG? Having the containment unit located conveniently down the hall rather than in the medical lab?
- Deke heading back into the building to rescue Sequoia, unarmed, rather than informing the rest of the team what's going on. And the SHIELD agent who was watching him letting it happen, and then not even following.
- Deke emptying his weapon into the bad guy who's already down, as an obvious joke, just to set up the 'click, your gun's empty' moment with the next bad guy, so that we get a flight scene instead of a fight scene, despite there being at least one other agent there with a loaded weapon.
- Coulson's team being experts on eliminating these anomalies, but not knowing that extracting the knife from the body would allow the thing to regenerate and live again. Even if SHIELD wasn't a thing, normal law enforcement would have removed the knife sooner or later.
Just getting caught up...

- The stare down Mac gave Deke when he saw video Daisy was worth the poor setup.
- YoYo is the worst speedster ever! As soon as weird contortionist parasitic chest bat started twitching she should have used superspeed to put the damn knife back in and ended the threat - or - used superspeed to stab it after it flew out of dead body - or - done something/anything smart
- They needed to isolate May so she and not-Coulson could get some one-on-one so they can fall in love. At the end of the season they will be together and either he will stay and join Shield or she will leave and join the Not-Coulson Sliders to fight the weird contortionist parasitic chest bats across the multiverse.
- If the early seasons of the show didn't use those isolation pods so damn effectively I could give new science guy a break. Alas, they did use them well thus I cannot overlook the general purpose stupidity new science guy brings to the job.
- Sequoia was hilarious and I approve of every scene she was in. Especially the little blurb at the end
Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
- Sequoia was hilarious and I approve of every scene she was in. Especially the little blurb at the end
For those that didn't catch, that was Maurissa Tancharoen, co-creator of the show (and Jed Whedon's wife).
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
For those that didn't catch, that was Maurissa Tancharoen, co-creator of the show (and Jed Whedon's wife).
I was fully prepared to hate her character on general purpose alone but her comedic timing was superb and I just couldn't stop laughing. The end blurb with secret agent thirst trap still has me chuckling today.

Does she write or act for any other shows?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:01 AM

I practically cheered when Deke emptied the gun into the bad guy. Finally, somebody who is NOT going to just assume that the bad guy is down for the count simply because it looks like he is. How many times in fiction in general do the heroes get bitten in the ass because they didn't take a couple of extra seconds to DEFINITELY take care of business like that?
Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 AM

I think we have another new episode tonight. Wow, they're really spoiling the fans: we only had to wait a FULL YEAR between the last episode last season and the first episode this season, and they gave us four episodes before taking a well-earned two-week hiatus.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
I practically cheered when Deke emptied the gun into the bad guy. Finally, somebody who is NOT going to just assume that the bad guy is down for the count simply because it looks like he is. How many times in fiction in general do the heroes get bitten in the ass because they didn't take a couple of extra seconds to DEFINITELY take care of business like that?
Sure, but if you're still in proximity to enemies, you should really reload after emptying the gun. Otherwise you'll just get bitten in the ass a scene or two later. Like Deke did.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Just getting caught up...

- The stare down Mac gave Deke when he saw video Daisy was worth the poor setup.
- YoYo is the worst speedster ever! As soon as weird contortionist parasitic chest bat started twitching she should have used superspeed to put the damn knife back in and ended the threat - or - used superspeed to stab it after it flew out of dead body - or - done something/anything smart
- They needed to isolate May so she and not-Coulson could get some one-on-one so they can fall in love. At the end of the season they will be together and either he will stay and join Shield or she will leave and join the Not-Coulson Sliders to fight the weird contortionist parasitic chest bats across the multiverse.
- If the early seasons of the show didn't use those isolation pods so damn effectively I could give new science guy a break. Alas, they did use them well thus I cannot overlook the general purpose stupidity new science guy brings to the job.
I can't argue with any of this. My point, though, is that the episode felt like they just wrote the payoffs and then phoned in the work that you're supposed to do to get to those payoffs. Getting May isolated with Coulson is great, and will lead to some great scenes next episode. But as a writer you have to arrange the parts so that that naturally happens without violating common sense or characterization. Figuring out the cool payoffs is only half the job, and probably not the hardest half.

If you want to have the cool body-horror scene of the guy turning into dark crystal tower and the angst from YoYo that she couldn't save him, then that's great! Now figure out a way to get there that makes sense. Maybe the bat things send out a hypersonic pulse that disables Inhuman abilities. Maybe Coulson gets interrupted after stabbing the bat before he can do the S.O.P. of disintegrating it after it's disabled. Maybe the bat takes partial control of Agent Gonnadie and begs YoYo not to stab him, and that tugs at her heartstrings and makes her delay.

I'm not the guy who yells "plot hole" every time there's a little bit of effort required to bridge a gap or elide over a rough spot. But usually the writers of this show at least make things plausible enough to keep the fun train going. For me this particular episode just failed utterly at that job.

Still looking forward to tonight's, though.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Yeah, Yo-Yo was terrible in that episode. It's not like she's a brand new agent and is new to all the monsters and magic - this is something she's been trained for. Yet she stood frozen for seconds while the bat was flapping around the lab when she could have easily grabbed it and thrown it into a box or something. Then a scene later, she stood and watched while the damn thing crawled down her boyfriend's mouth.

It was obvious that as soon as he tried to tell Mack about him and Yo-Yo that he was dying soon, but man, they could have done that better.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Letting it crawl down his mouth as YoYo watched was unforgivable- for the writers, not the character YoYo.

Last edited by CarnalK; 06-14-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:37 PM

So let's see if I'm following:

The zombie chest birds (ZCBs) are inter-dimensional beings that destroy worlds. Alt-Coulson and his team are hunting them from world to world for whatever reason - although probably not with any hope of actually stopping them - arriving just before the world is destroyed. They track them using a device that detects creatures from alternate universes, which is how they reached Zeke. ZCBs come in two types: the regular silent type, like the one who killed Yo-Yo's beau, and a type that can speak, which is what they assumed Zeke was. Alt-Coulson tortures the talkers, either for information or for other reasons.

Alt-Coulson's team consists of individuals he recruited in the various destroyed worlds. He kidnapped May because he wants her to join his team when they move on.

Have I missed anything?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 PM

What the heck was the deal with the soundtrack in tonight's episode? During the first ten minutes or so, and at a couple of points later on. the spoken dialogue was either completely silent or mostly drowned out by the background music.

Not sure if it was a problem with the network feed or the local (Houston-area) cable provider.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
What the heck was the deal with the soundtrack in tonight's episode? During the first ten minutes or so, and at a couple of points later on. the spoken dialogue was either completely silent or mostly drowned out by the background music.

Not sure if it was a problem with the network feed or the local (Houston-area) cable provider.
Looks to be something on your end.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 AM
SDSAB

Haven't watched in awhile. Is SHIELD the good guys again? Spoiler-box it for me, if you prefer.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post

Have I missed anything?
This is from the latest episode, which aired (for me) a few hours after your post:

The ZBC's are actually called the Shrike. Sarge said they came "from another world", not another dimension. They just look for anything that doesn't belong on that world, which Zeke doesn't, because he's from the future (and is exhausting). At some point, right before the world is destroyed, the Shrike's creator shows up, and presumably, triggers the world's destruction. On Earth, Sarge is planning on waiting around until the creator shows up, then he'll "burn it all down".
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM

So I was pretty close.

BTW, "Shrike"? Are we just stealing names from better science fiction stories now?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Haven't watched in awhile. Is SHIELD the good guys again? Spoiler-box it for me, if you prefer.
Hmm?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
When exactly did you stop watching? Because I wouldn't have ever called SHIELD (particularly the group we watch) the bad guys. They were just infiltrated by Hydra.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
So let's see if I'm following:

The zombie chest birds (ZCBs) are inter-dimensional beings that destroy worlds. Alt-Coulson and his team are hunting them from world to world for whatever reason - although probably not with any hope of actually stopping them - arriving just before the world is destroyed. They track them using a device that detects creatures from alternate universes, which is how they reached Zeke. ZCBs come in two types: the regular silent type, like the one who killed Yo-Yo's beau, and a type that can speak, which is what they assumed Zeke was. Alt-Coulson tortures the talkers, either for information or for other reasons.

Alt-Coulson's team consists of individuals he recruited in the various destroyed worlds. He kidnapped May because he wants her to join his team when they move on.

Have I missed anything?
Also, they destroyed the Chronicon's world, so they want to go back in time and stop it.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Also, they destroyed the Chronicon's world, so they want to go back in time and stop it.
That's a reasonable assumption, but that hasn't been explicitly stated yet. The description of the destruction of Chronyca-2 "minor distortions in the fabric of space that released a plague...the effect spread rapidly consuming our planet" doesn't really match Sarge's description of what the Shrikes do.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That's a reasonable assumption, but that hasn't been explicitly stated yet. The description of the destruction of Chronyca-2 "minor distortions in the fabric of space that released a plague...the effect spread rapidly consuming our planet" doesn't really match Sarge's description of what the Shrikes do.
Up until Sarge's team showed up, SHIELD was tracking distortions in space-time (when the Shrike were coming through).
Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Up until Sarge's team showed up, SHIELD was tracking distortions in space-time (when the Shrike were coming through).
Ah, you're right, I forgot that. Yeah, that's really the only reasonable assumption now. So will it turn out that Fitz/Evil Fitz is the Creator?

ETA: Wait, were the Shrike coming through them, or Sarge and his team? Or both?

Last edited by muldoonthief; 06-17-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:

ETA: Wait, were the Shrike coming through them, or Sarge and his team? Or both?
Both. In the first episode Mack mentions they had been tracking the disturbances for some time (a few weeks maybe?) before Sarge and crew showed up. Then on the basketball court, the Shrike come through followed by the big guy and concrete boy. I'm assuming that the Shrike create the portals and Sarge's team just follows them through.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Both. In the first episode Mack mentions they had been tracking the disturbances for some time (a few weeks maybe?) before Sarge and crew showed up. Then on the basketball court, the Shrike come through followed by the big guy and concrete boy. I'm assuming that the Shrike create the portals and Sarge's team just follows them through.
Ah, thanks. I forgot that a Shrike came through before the huge guy.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
When exactly did you stop watching? Because I wouldn't have ever called SHIELD (particularly the group we watch) the bad guys. They were just infiltrated by Hydra.
Early in the first season.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Early in the first season.
Well, like I said, they were never really the bad guys. However, public perception has changed over the seasons. They've been viewed as good guys to bad guys to the public not knowing they exist and back again. Current view is that they are a known entity and they are the good guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM
SDSAB

OK, thanks!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Finally caught up. Enjoying this season so far. The reveals of the most recent episode have me even more interested.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM

My wife and I buy each season of this when it drops on Vudu so we don't have to watch the commercials. We are stuck at thia this thing though:

Warning: spoiler possible.....

Why doesn't Enoch tell the crinkle haired lady how HE pulled off time travel? The whole space future thing in Season 5 was his doing in the first place. Right? What are we missing?