Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405

19 year old Florida pitcher headed to Japan , not MLB


He will make more money playing in Japan . He could return to the US as a free agent in 7 years.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ft-upside-down

( sorry the thread title is wrong but I cannot fix it. old should be before Florida)

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 05-22-2019 at 01:53 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,066
Free agent at 25 versus 28 is huge. 28 would be the best case, according to the Passan article. An MLB team is much more likely to open up the checkbook on a long-term deal for a 25 year old pitcher, than a 28 year old. Though MLB is long overdue for having yet another wide reaching collusion suit against the owners.

I love what he's doing. I hope he makes it.
  #3  
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,674
This is definitely a smarter route to go and just as good as going to the minors.

HS basketball players should play overseas instead of going to college too.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #4  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
we had a local kid who was in HS and passed the GED so he put his name in the MLB draft. Nobody knew he was eligible so he went undrafted and was a free agent. Nobody signed him so he went to college and then was drafted 3 years later. MLB closed that loophole.
  #5  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,369
[Moderating]

I had to re-read the thread title three times before I saw the typo, but I fixed it.
  #6  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 AM
Fleetwood's Avatar
Fleetwood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NH-US
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
we had a local kid who was in HS and passed the GED so he put his name in the MLB draft. Nobody knew he was eligible so he went undrafted and was a free agent. Nobody signed him so he went to college and then was drafted 3 years later. MLB closed that loophole.
What loophole?
  #7  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,443
This kid is in a kind of unique situation in that his potential is good enough to command such a contract from Japan, but he wasn't going to get the best signing bonus based on possible injury. If the Braves would have offered him the "normal" signing bonus for the #8 overall pick last year, he would have signed. So, this is the right move for him. But it's not the right move for most 19 year old baseball phenoms.

As for high school basketball phenoms, I 100% agree they should play overseas or in some kind of pro league so we can get rid of this one and done college basketball nonsense.
  #8  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
One thing that would help ameliorate the negative effects of one and done is simply to recognize college athletes' full economic liberties.
  #9  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
One thing that would help ameliorate the negative effects of one and done is simply to recognize college athletes' full economic liberties.
I'm not that smart...is what you said basically a fancy version of "pay the players"? Because paying the players is not the answer to college athletics at all and wouldn't work the way most advocates of paying the players think it will.

I gave my suggestion because I really hate the one and done rule. If you're good enough to play right out of high school, why not just play?
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #10  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm not that smart...is what you said basically a fancy version of "pay the players"? Because paying the players is not the answer to college athletics at all and wouldn't work the way most advocates of paying the players think it will.

I gave my suggestion because I really hate the one and done rule. If you're good enough to play right out of high school, why not just play?
If players could make money during their college careers, -- NOTE: this is not the same thing as "paying the players"-- then more of them might play longer for their schools.

But, yes, "paying the players" might not be the "answer" to college athletics if we don't even know what the question is. What is it? The one problem that is easy to identify, however, is that college athletes are denied the rights that everyone else in the country have concerning their incomes and this can be solved without damaging the schools and/or their sports programs.
  #11  
Old 05-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
What loophole?
the loophole was you could get a GED and apply for the MLB draft and not tell anyone you are in the draft. then you become a free agent when nobody drafts you. Scott Boras the agent in this article is the same guy who found the now closed loophole
  #12  
Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
the loophole was you could get a GED and apply for the MLB draft and not tell anyone you are in the draft. then you become a free agent when nobody drafts you. Scott Boras the agent in this article is the same guy who found the now closed loophole
I don't think it's the responsibility of the player to tell anyone he's in the draft.

MLB had other reasons, to be honest, to get rid of the GED allowance. Bryce Harper famously used a GED specifically to get into the draft a year earlier.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #13  
Old 05-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
If players could make money during their college careers, -- NOTE: this is not the same thing as "paying the players"-- then more of them might play longer for their schools.

But, yes, "paying the players" might not be the "answer" to college athletics if we don't even know what the question is. What is it? The one problem that is easy to identify, however, is that college athletes are denied the rights that everyone else in the country have concerning their incomes and this can be solved without damaging the schools and/or their sports programs.
I hate to hijack, because this is probably another thread topic, but the NCAA is so badly broken I think it should just be completely abolished. And I love college sports, but the level of "cheating" and plain unethical behavior that has gone on since the very formation of the NCAA puts organized crime to shame.
  #14  
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
NCAA is corrupt just like the IOC and FIFA and probably a lot of other sports groups .

This is the guy who used the GED loophole which was 10 years before Harper was was drafted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landon_Powell His only claim to fame is he was a catcher for a perfect game . Was a backup catcher for just 3 seasons in Oakland.
  #15  
Old 05-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
If all the schools cheat it might just be because the rules suck.
  #16  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
If players could make money during their college careers, -- NOTE: this is not the same thing as "paying the players"-- then more of them might play longer for their schools.

But, yes, "paying the players" might not be the "answer" to college athletics if we don't even know what the question is. What is it? The one problem that is easy to identify, however, is that college athletes are denied the rights that everyone else in the country have concerning their incomes and this can be solved without damaging the schools and/or their sports programs.
Ah ok...thank you for clarifying. I quite agree

I think it's a slippery slope between "pay the players" and "let the players get paid", but I do like the latter of the two choices better....if it could work.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #17  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
college FB and BB are the only billion dollar businesses where the key employees don't get paid.
  #18  
Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
a top ranked BB player is skipping college hoops to play in New Zealand

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...aland-pro-team
  #19  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:18 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,108
How are the Ball brothers doing in Lithuania?
  #20  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
How are the Ball brothers doing in Lithuania?
they left there over a year ago. That was a short term deal. they are all back in the US now . Oldest plays for the Lakers. the other 2 play for the team their father started in LA area.
  #21  
Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
they left there over a year ago. That was a short term deal. they are all back in the US now . Oldest plays for the Lakers. the other 2 play for the team their father started in LA area.
To clarify, Lonzo, the eldest who plays for the Lakers, never played in Europe. He went to UCLA.
  #22  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:16 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,440
heres a story saying Japan could be a "competitive alternative" to the minors for some people and makes an argument for redoing the farm system all together https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...aIY?li=BBnbfcL
  #23  
Old 05-31-2019, 11:52 PM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,792

19 year old Florida pitcher headed to Japan , not MLB


The way minor league players are treated is disgusting. Low pay, substandard living conditions and it’s a system created by MLB openers to not pay fair money and perpetrated by the MLB players union because big leaguers have this macho and political view of the “Big Show” and want to make it as hard as possible for minor leaguers to make it to their level.

Good for him. He found a way to bypass an unfair system and guarantee himself at the very least financial security for the rest of his life, at the very best a chance to make even more money at MLB at the peak of his skills.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by russian heel; 05-31-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017