Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #33551  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 AM
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 100 miles N. of Chicago
Posts: 1,544
Three posters in a row passing off unsubstantiated rumors as fact.
  #33552  
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Three posters in a row passing off unsubstantiated rumors as fact.
What's "unsubstantiated" about the report that Chua-Rubenfeld will be clerking for Kavanaugh? About the other parts of it, ISTM quite clear from these posts and the previous ones that everyone discussing them is aware that Kavanaugh's reputation for bad behavior with women is based on multiple rumors but no definitive proof.

Not sure why your panties are so bunched about people's speculating about rumored bad behavior, in a Pit thread no less. Is there some reason you think it's okay to spread unproven speculation about, for example, why people don't like Ocasio-Cortez but not about why people don't like Kavanaugh?
  #33553  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, of course it's not. The correct version is: It's whom you know.
Oh, right

  #33554  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM
CaptMurdock's Avatar
CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Three posters in a row passing off unsubstantiated rumors as fact.
So the fact that Sophia is now clerk for Kavanaugh after Amy vigorously defended him during his confirmation hearing does not strike you as fishy at all?
__________________
____________________________
Coin-operated self-destruct...not one of my better ideas.
-- Planckton (Spongebob Squarepants)
  #33555  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
So the fact that Sophia is now clerk for Kavanaugh after Amy vigorously defended him during his confirmation hearing does not strike you as fishy at all?
The man's far too busy trolling to worry about fish.
  #33556  
Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
The man's far too busy trolling to worry about fish.
“Trawling”, amirite? Right? <tap, tap> Is this thing on?
  #33557  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Fiveyearlurker is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Newsweek is on it.Others were, um, skeptical. And now, less than a year later, the skeptics were proven right.



Amy Chau has, and continues to deny any impropriety.OMFG what a shock: someone associated with the Trump campaign sees nothing wrong with bending rules and taking unfair advantages, but somehow needs to lie about having done so... totally didn't see that coming.


Another person who will be convinced that she has succeeded in life on her own merits.
  #33558  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
“Trawling”, amirite? Right? <tap, tap> Is this thing on?
Trolling 'is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.'

Hence, 'internet troll'.
  #33559  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Trolling 'is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.'

Hence, 'internet troll'.
The fact that the term coincidentally also describes their appearance and hygiene is just a bonus.
  #33560  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Trolling 'is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.'

Hence, 'internet troll'.
Huh. I didn't know that. I always thought "trolling" came from the mythical beast, and the fishing technique was "trawling". I never knew there was also a fishing technique called "trolling". Thanks.
  #33561  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Kamino Neko's Avatar
Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 15,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Huh. I didn't know that. I always thought "trolling" came from the mythical beast, and the fishing technique was "trawling". I never knew there was also a fishing technique called "trolling". Thanks.
Trawling is dragging a net through the water.
  #33562  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Trawling is dragging a net through the water.
Yeah, I knew that trawling was a fishing thing, but I didn’t realize trolling was as well. I always thought the “internet asshole” meaning had started as the noun “troll”, to describe an unpleasant character who would come out from under the figurative bridge to cause trouble before slouching off again, and then the noun was verbed into “trolling”. The fishing etymology makes more sense.
  #33563  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM
peccavi's Avatar
peccavi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Bay, SoCal
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
The fact that the term coincidentally also describes their appearance and hygiene is just a bonus.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a thread in possession of a serious topic, must be in want of a troll. "
  #33564  
Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Frazzled is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,161
A couple of stories have crossed my mind today because it seems that Russia is becoming more provocative.

2 warships nearly collide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48553568

Russia publicly releases video showing them intercepting spy aircraft:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/polit...ets/index.html

These are the 2 that I thought of immediately. Is Russia trying to force Trump's hand?

Suppose there is an international incident - what if the 2 ships *had* collided? How would Trump handle himself during this sort of Crisis? If Trump responds aggressively then would Putin will make him look like a fool on the world stage? If Trump capitulates would that make him look weak to our soldiers at home? Dare I ask, would Trump prevail in this sort of statesmanship? Is Russia purposely trying to provoke action?
  #33565  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
A couple of stories have crossed my mind today because it seems that Russia is becoming more provocative.

2 warships nearly collide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48553568

Russia publicly releases video showing them intercepting spy aircraft:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/polit...ets/index.html

These are the 2 that I thought of immediately. Is Russia trying to force Trump's hand?

Suppose there is an international incident - what if the 2 ships *had* collided? How would Trump handle himself during this sort of Crisis? If Trump responds aggressively then would Putin will make him look like a fool on the world stage? If Trump capitulates would that make him look weak to our soldiers at home? Dare I ask, would Trump prevail in this sort of statesmanship? Is Russia purposely trying to provoke action?
Only a guess on my part, but I think Russia is sending Trump a message: "We can push our influence in your elections whatever way we wish to. We can move support toward you or away from you. Don't forget to do our bidding, else we'll reconsider which way we fuck with your elections in 2020."
  #33566  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Only a guess on my part, but I think Russia is sending Trump a message: "We can push our influence in your elections whatever way we wish to. We can move support toward you or away from you. Don't forget to do our bidding, else we'll reconsider which way we fuck with your elections in 2020."
Nah, Russia doesn't need to send a message to Trump; they're sending a message to the American military, and it is this: We can fuck with you because your Commander in Chief is our bitch.
  #33567  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Frazzled is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Nah, Russia doesn't need to send a message to Trump; they're sending a message to the American military, and it is this: We can fuck with you because your Commander in Chief is our bitch.
I honestly think that's the test. Is Russia trying to prove to the military that Trump is an incompetent leader? I know Trump knows more than all of his Generals (probably combined), but what happens when something happens?
  #33568  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
I honestly think that's the test. Is Russia trying to prove to the military that Trump is an incompetent leader? I know Trump knows more than all of his Generals (probably combined), but what happens when something happens?
Think about it.

Russia and specifically Vladimir Putin has been vexed at American power since coming into power. He has watched helplessly as the American military and political machine essentially encircled Russia, put missile batteries in Eastern Europe, invaded Iraq, invaded Iran. And before that, it helped tear down the Iron Curtain, and was involved in Bosnia against Serbs. But the real kicker was the Magnitsky Act, which went after the mechanisms by which the Putin regime spreads its money around the world, not only to hide money outside the country but also to influence politics (including ours).

Economically, Russia has been no match for the United States, but they figured out that they could exploit the American political system by using dark money, and also through a campaign of grassroots misinformation. This looks like merely political meddling, but it's far more than that - this is military strategy from the top, from the man himself.

What did Russia win when Trump won the White House? Many things, but consider the fact that Trump has repeatedly, again and again, discredited his own national intelligence services. For fucks sake, he now has hired an attorney general turned Cromwell (who himself represented Russian interests, I might add) and he is now using state power to investigate the investigators. Thus, Putin, via Trump, is effectively neutralizing our national intelligence services. Who needs to invest in keeping up with American military technology when you can just make their intelligence gathering apparatus bleed internally? James Comey, Peter Strzok, Andrew McCabe, John Brennan, and Dan Coates. All but one are out, and unceremoniously so. And Putin is snickering, giggling, and ultimately howling with laughter like some guy who's watching them eat brownies laced with Ex-Lax.

As for that confrontation on the sea? Well, where is James Mattis? Where is McMaster? Where are the former top brass during the Bush administration who have criticized the president for what they deem reckless (or maybe feckless) foreign policy? These are people who led the world's mightiest military machine and had no problem getting into a stare down with Putin, and where are they? Gone. Mute. Who's the Sec of Defense now? Some guy who's never really been recognized as having special knowledge of military affairs. Someone who's never had to stand up to foreign predators. The Commander in Chief is a guy who threatens to end NATO, who has suggested that some of our military leaders are stupid.

Putin can do what he wants...and he knows it.
  #33569  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,209
"Lies? The news media is starting to describe Trump’s ‘falsehoods’ that way."
https://wapo.st/2IkkNuq
Quote:
It’s (almost) official: The president of the United States is a liar.

This will not come as a revelation to people who have closely followed President Trump’s public statements and Twitter feed and have long doubted his veracity. It is, instead, a late-dawning recognition by mainstream news organizations, which until fairly recently shied away from branding the president’s many questionable utterances as outright lies.

Nowadays, many in the news media are no longer bothering to grant Trump the benefit of the doubt. In routine news and feature stories, Trump’s dishonesty carries no fig leaf. It is described baldly.
....
About. God. Damn. Time.

You heard it here a year ago, June 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Finally! A headline that does not equivocate.

Trump is a baldfaced liar
https://wapo.st/2twehsW

YES YES YES

Let us, all news media, and all who speak of thump abandon euphemisms and call him what he is.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #33570  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 PM
DWMarch is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 2,115
How about another heaping helping of Trump treason? This time, it's Trump deciding that Kim Jong Un is off-limits to the CIA:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promise...jtc_news_index
  #33571  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
How about another heaping helping of Trump treason? This time, it's Trump deciding that Kim Jong Un is off-limits to the CIA:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promise...jtc_news_index

Here's how I see it:

Trump: "I received a wonderful letter, a beautiful letter, the best letter from Chairman Kim."

Reality: He got the letter "T". It could stand for "Trump" or it could stand for "Traitor". That's a distinction without a difference now.
  #33572  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:07 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,585
"Donald Trump did not run to unify the country. That was the last -- the country did not vote to be unified," -- James Carville, November 9, 2016.
  #33573  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,015
Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138563456985128964
  #33574  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138563456985128964
https://hexagonagriculture.com/news/...smart-tractors
  #33575  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138563456985128964
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...inian-firmware

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...ight-to-repair

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-12-2019 at 06:27 AM.
  #33576  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it.
The second part is more or less true, but the first isn't. The tractors themselves don't actually connect to the internet any more than your car does (well, for driving purposes, i.e. telecom or lojack excluded).

They feature firmware that attempt to prevent third party repair via software. Doesn't need to be connected to the internet for any of that, except firmware updates, which are generally downloaded elsewhere to be later loaded to the tractors, anyway.
  #33577  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,585
Stepping on Legos 49%, Trump 41%.

Bad news for Trump + funny memes = gold.
  #33578  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
I posted this in the Mueller thread too:

Hope Hicks has agreed to a closed-door interview with the House Judiciary Committee June 19th! One week from today!
  #33579  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,538
Good news and bad news: Hope Hicks will testify; Hope Hicks works for Faux News.
  #33580  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,270
Let's hope it's a screen or thin wooden door so they'll be able to hear each other.
  #33581  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,538
*Cups and strings not included.
  #33582  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138563456985128964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it. ...
Of course what Trump is thinking of is farmers logged into Twitter as they work the fields, clicking 'like' and 'retweet' on all Trump's stuff.

That's what the Internet is for, after all.
  #33583  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,209
[My bold]

Trump: If Offered Dirt By Foreign Government On 2020 Rival, 'I Think I'd Take It'
Quote:
President Trump says he might accept dirt from another country on his potential Democratic rivals if offered, raising new questions and concerns about foreign influence on American elections.

"It's not an interference, they have information — I think I'd take it," Trump said. "If I thought there was something wrong, I'd go maybe to the FBI — if I thought there was something wrong."
...
And then promptly contradicts himself.
Quote:
"I'll tell you what, I've seen a lot of things over my life. I don't think in my whole life I've ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don't call the FBI. You throw somebody out of your office, you do whatever you do," Trump said. "Oh, give me a break – life doesn't work that way."
...
And then to make sure all options are covered
Quote:
...Trump also said he might both accept the information and call the FBI. But the president was clear he disagreed with comments Wray has made to Congress that "the FBI would want to know about" any efforts from abroad to interfere or influence in U.S. elections.

"The FBI director is wrong, because frankly it doesn't happen like that in life," Trump said. "Now maybe it will start happening, maybe today you'd think differently."
....
He is becoming more incoherent every day.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.
  #33584  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,585
I’d say he’s trolling us, but he’s not that clever.
  #33585  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,093
No collusion! Long live collusion!
  #33586  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
No collusion! Long live collusion!
That covers it.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #33587  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Steve McQwark is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
No collusion! Long live collusion!
L'collusion, c'est moi!
  #33588  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 PM
DWMarch is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 2,115
I am a little dismayed with how the media is jumping all over this as if it is breaking news. Yes, Trump said some dumb, possibly criminal shit for the sixteen thousandth time! You would think they would have figured out by now that what he says will never, ever bring him down. Just off the top of my head for dumb Trump statements we have:

Praising neo-Nazis
Praising dictators
Saying that Kim Jong-Un is off-limits to the CIA
Dismissing the findings of the intelligence community on unambiguous matters
Insulting live war heroes
Insulting dead war heroes
Insulting the US' longtime allies
Calling Mexicans rapists
Calling African nations "shitholes"
Incestuous thoughts about his daughter
Admitting to sexual assault
Lying about anything and everything under the sun including trivial shit

And there's probably about a hundred more I missed. And every goddamn time the media comes running and laps it up. Look what the dummy said now! Surely this is the end of his shenanigans for these statements are certain to inspire the kind of outrage that dethrones kings!

Trump will never be brought down by what he says and we already have ample proof of this. Any of these statements are enough to ruin the careers of anyone else but Trump just doubles down, sells it as entertainment and the media keeps buying.
  #33589  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
L'collusion, c'est moi!

<pedantic note, or why you can't be allowed any fun>The elision happens with "L'Etat", because "Le Etat" would be two e's in a row which sounds weird. Similarly, "la Argentine" would get elided to "l'Argentine" because, again, doubling up on vowels is Not Done. In this case however, "collusion" starts with a hard consonant so no elision allowed.</pn,owycbaaf>
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #33590  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,083
I've mentioned before that I always kill the volume (or fast forward) if Trump's on TV; now I do that with most Republicans, who've all bought into his horseshit.
Bad enough that the news has an obligation to present whatever this particular president of the United States says, but there's definitely no obligation to have to listen to the fucker, so, to put the question out there - am I seriously the only here who does that? Other than morbid curiosity/cheap laughs/incredulity, I can't see how anyone could possibly bother. You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 06-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.
  #33591  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?
With a grandfather who lied any time it wasn't more profitable or nastier to tell the truth and a mother who lies even by how she sits up... yeah. And whether it's American politics or Spanish ones, you can always turn it into a drinking game.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #33592  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:19 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
<pedantic note, or why you can't be allowed any fun>The elision happens with "L'Etat", because "Le Etat" would be two e's in a row which sounds weird. Similarly, "la Argentine" would get elided to "l'Argentine" because, again, doubling up on vowels is Not Done. In this case however, "collusion" starts with a hard consonant so no elision allowed.</pn,owycbaaf>
Yeah, but it's funnier BECAUSE it parallels the original quotation, even though it's technically incorrect. Personally, I'm way into pedantry and correcting others' language mistakes, but in this case, don't mess with the funny.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #33593  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM
simster is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
I am a little dismayed with how the media is jumping all over this as if it is breaking news. Yes, Trump said some dumb, possibly criminal shit for the sixteen thousandth time! You would think they would have figured out by now that what he says will never, ever bring him down. Just off the top of my head for dumb Trump statements we have:

Praising neo-Nazis
Praising dictators
Saying that Kim Jong-Un is off-limits to the CIA
Dismissing the findings of the intelligence community on unambiguous matters
Insulting live war heroes
Insulting dead war heroes
Insulting the US' longtime allies
Calling Mexicans rapists
Calling African nations "shitholes"
Incestuous thoughts about his daughter
Admitting to sexual assault
Lying about anything and everything under the sun including trivial shit

And there's probably about a hundred more I missed. And every goddamn time the media comes running and laps it up. Look what the dummy said now! Surely this is the end of his shenanigans for these statements are certain to inspire the kind of outrage that dethrones kings!

Trump will never be brought down by what he says and we already have ample proof of this. Any of these statements are enough to ruin the careers of anyone else but Trump just doubles down, sells it as entertainment and the media keeps buying.
Because it's important for everyone to pay attention to what this idiot says and , supposedly, believes.

It will afftect the ballot box at some point - one hopes.
  #33594  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Yeah, but it's funnier BECAUSE it parallels the original quotation, even though it's technically incorrect. Personally, I'm way into pedantry and correcting others' language mistakes, but in this case, don't mess with the funny.
I know, I know. I was just edumacatin' is all . Occupational hazard.

In actual fact, it's doubly funny for a French speaker, because the unnecessary elision kind of makes it sound like French as spoken by someone from eul'Nord.

Y'see, France has its own Oop Norf where they talk funny, and one of the trademarks of northern-speak is eliding E's that shouldn't be (typically in definite articles), but adding them back in front of the elision. Hence, "eul'Nord" instead of "le Nord".
Also, eul'Nord and its people have historically been saddled with a reputation for alcoholism, chronic depression on account of the British-like weather, inbreeding, boorishness and generally low IQ. They're our stereotypical coal country blue collar hicks, essentially (at least in popular imagery). Think Liverpool, but less fun.

So the thought of Trump speaking like them while trying to misquote a king doth tickle .
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #33595  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Because it's important for everyone to pay attention to what this idiot says and , supposedly, believes.

It will afftect the ballot box at some point - one hopes.
I'm sorry but we're completely out of hope. The demand has overwhelmed all supply and production has slowed to a crawl. May we interest you in despondency, rage and vitriol? We're currently offering all three at buy 1 get 2 free.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #33596  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?
62,984,828 people voted for a man who anyone with two brain cells to rub together would realize he's been a lying grifter all his adult* life. I'm guessing they hoped he would change -- I know I did between election and inauguration day. Anyone who votes for him again in 2020... well see the first sentence.

*I can fully imagine he lied as a kid, too.
"Donnie, eat your peas."
"I did, mum."
"What are those, then?"
"Those aren't peas, those are a round fungus! I eat more peas than anybody else in the world ever has! I know more about eating peas than anybody, ever! No PEAS! Lock her up!!1!"
"Wait, what?"
"It'll make sense later."
  #33597  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
"It'll make sense later."
It won't make sense later, but it will have context.
  #33598  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,209
Huh?

Trump Is Set to Send More Troops Overseas—This Time to Poland
Quote:
With a president forever battling questions about his ties to Russia, Donald Trump’s administration keeps finding ways to confront Russia. There have been sanctions, diplomat expulsions, and NATO buildups; on Wednesday it was the announcement of a framework for deploying a further 1,000 troops into Poland.

Those troops will reportedly be focused on logistics rather than combat, and they will come with a set of intelligence drones and plans for a U.S. military headquarters in Poland. “This is about creating the infrastructure and the abilities to respond to a variety of security threats that face the NATO alliance,” said Eric Pahon, a Defense Department spokesman, in an interview. “We’ve seen a steady pattern of Russian aggression and destabilizing activities over the past 20 years or more.”
...

Rachel Rizzo, a fellow in the trans-Atlantic security program at the Center for a New American Security, is skeptical. “The U.S. currently has about 4,500 troops that rotate in and out of Poland, so what is the benefit of adding another thousand?” she said in an email. “The U.S. has already proven its commitment to Eastern European security, and continuously adding more rotational troops is an overly simplistic way to think about deterrence.”
....
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #33599  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
74westy's Avatar
74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,963
Is there a war in Poland that I didn't hear about? The last one was in all the papers.
  #33600  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 10,811
And now this is breaking: https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-...ntl/index.html

The missiles were fired from Yemen, but odds are fair to good they were built in Iran. Will Trump, under increasing pressure at home, look for a foreign adventure? We shall see.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017