Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Three posters in a row passing off unsubstantiated rumors as fact.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
What's "unsubstantiated" about the report that Chua-Rubenfeld will be clerking for Kavanaugh? About the other parts of it, ISTM quite clear from these posts and the previous ones that everyone discussing them is aware that Kavanaugh's reputation for bad behavior with women is based on multiple rumors but no definitive proof.

Not sure why your panties are so bunched about people's speculating about rumored bad behavior, in a Pit thread no less. Is there some reason you think it's okay to spread unproven speculation about, for example, why people don't like Ocasio-Cortez but not about why people don't like Kavanaugh?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, of course it's not. The correct version is: It's whom you know.
Oh, right

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
So the fact that Sophia is now clerk for Kavanaugh after Amy vigorously defended him during his confirmation hearing does not strike you as fishy at all?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
So the fact that Sophia is now clerk for Kavanaugh after Amy vigorously defended him during his confirmation hearing does not strike you as fishy at all?
The man's far too busy trolling to worry about fish.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
The man's far too busy trolling to worry about fish.
“Trawling”, amirite? Right? <tap, tap> Is this thing on?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Newsweek is on it.Others were, um, skeptical. And now, less than a year later, the skeptics were proven right.

Amy Chau has, and continues to deny any impropriety.OMFG what a shock: someone associated with the Trump campaign sees nothing wrong with bending rules and taking unfair advantages, but somehow needs to lie about having done so... totally didn't see that coming.

Another person who will be convinced that she has succeeded in life on her own merits.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
“Trawling”, amirite? Right? <tap, tap> Is this thing on?
Trolling 'is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.'

Hence, 'internet troll'.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Trolling 'is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.'

Hence, 'internet troll'.
The fact that the term coincidentally also describes their appearance and hygiene is just a bonus.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

Hence, 'internet troll'.
Huh. I didn't know that. I always thought "trolling" came from the mythical beast, and the fishing technique was "trawling". I never knew there was also a fishing technique called "trolling". Thanks.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Huh. I didn't know that. I always thought "trolling" came from the mythical beast, and the fishing technique was "trawling". I never knew there was also a fishing technique called "trolling". Thanks.
Trawling is dragging a net through the water.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Trawling is dragging a net through the water.
Yeah, I knew that trawling was a fishing thing, but I didn’t realize trolling was as well. I always thought the “internet asshole” meaning had started as the noun “troll”, to describe an unpleasant character who would come out from under the figurative bridge to cause trouble before slouching off again, and then the noun was verbed into “trolling”. The fishing etymology makes more sense.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
The fact that the term coincidentally also describes their appearance and hygiene is just a bonus.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a thread in possession of a serious topic, must be in want of a troll. "
Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM

A couple of stories have crossed my mind today because it seems that Russia is becoming more provocative.

2 warships nearly collide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48553568

Russia publicly releases video showing them intercepting spy aircraft:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/polit...ets/index.html

These are the 2 that I thought of immediately. Is Russia trying to force Trump's hand?

Suppose there is an international incident - what if the 2 ships *had* collided? How would Trump handle himself during this sort of Crisis? If Trump responds aggressively then would Putin will make him look like a fool on the world stage? If Trump capitulates would that make him look weak to our soldiers at home? Dare I ask, would Trump prevail in this sort of statesmanship? Is Russia purposely trying to provoke action?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
A couple of stories have crossed my mind today because it seems that Russia is becoming more provocative.

2 warships nearly collide:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48553568

Russia publicly releases video showing them intercepting spy aircraft:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/polit...ets/index.html

These are the 2 that I thought of immediately. Is Russia trying to force Trump's hand?

Suppose there is an international incident - what if the 2 ships *had* collided? How would Trump handle himself during this sort of Crisis? If Trump responds aggressively then would Putin will make him look like a fool on the world stage? If Trump capitulates would that make him look weak to our soldiers at home? Dare I ask, would Trump prevail in this sort of statesmanship? Is Russia purposely trying to provoke action?
Only a guess on my part, but I think Russia is sending Trump a message: "We can push our influence in your elections whatever way we wish to. We can move support toward you or away from you. Don't forget to do our bidding, else we'll reconsider which way we fuck with your elections in 2020."
Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Only a guess on my part, but I think Russia is sending Trump a message: "We can push our influence in your elections whatever way we wish to. We can move support toward you or away from you. Don't forget to do our bidding, else we'll reconsider which way we fuck with your elections in 2020."
Nah, Russia doesn't need to send a message to Trump; they're sending a message to the American military, and it is this: We can fuck with you because your Commander in Chief is our bitch.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Nah, Russia doesn't need to send a message to Trump; they're sending a message to the American military, and it is this: We can fuck with you because your Commander in Chief is our bitch.
I honestly think that's the test. Is Russia trying to prove to the military that Trump is an incompetent leader? I know Trump knows more than all of his Generals (probably combined), but what happens when something happens?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
I honestly think that's the test. Is Russia trying to prove to the military that Trump is an incompetent leader? I know Trump knows more than all of his Generals (probably combined), but what happens when something happens?
Think about it.

Russia and specifically Vladimir Putin has been vexed at American power since coming into power. He has watched helplessly as the American military and political machine essentially encircled Russia, put missile batteries in Eastern Europe, invaded Iraq, invaded Iran. And before that, it helped tear down the Iron Curtain, and was involved in Bosnia against Serbs. But the real kicker was the Magnitsky Act, which went after the mechanisms by which the Putin regime spreads its money around the world, not only to hide money outside the country but also to influence politics (including ours).

Economically, Russia has been no match for the United States, but they figured out that they could exploit the American political system by using dark money, and also through a campaign of grassroots misinformation. This looks like merely political meddling, but it's far more than that - this is military strategy from the top, from the man himself.

What did Russia win when Trump won the White House? Many things, but consider the fact that Trump has repeatedly, again and again, discredited his own national intelligence services. For fucks sake, he now has hired an attorney general turned Cromwell (who himself represented Russian interests, I might add) and he is now using state power to investigate the investigators. Thus, Putin, via Trump, is effectively neutralizing our national intelligence services. Who needs to invest in keeping up with American military technology when you can just make their intelligence gathering apparatus bleed internally? James Comey, Peter Strzok, Andrew McCabe, John Brennan, and Dan Coates. All but one are out, and unceremoniously so. And Putin is snickering, giggling, and ultimately howling with laughter like some guy who's watching them eat brownies laced with Ex-Lax.

As for that confrontation on the sea? Well, where is James Mattis? Where is McMaster? Where are the former top brass during the Bush administration who have criticized the president for what they deem reckless (or maybe feckless) foreign policy? These are people who led the world's mightiest military machine and had no problem getting into a stare down with Putin, and where are they? Gone. Mute. Who's the Sec of Defense now? Some guy who's never really been recognized as having special knowledge of military affairs. Someone who's never had to stand up to foreign predators. The Commander in Chief is a guy who threatens to end NATO, who has suggested that some of our military leaders are stupid.

Putin can do what he wants...and he knows it.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM

"Lies? The news media is starting to describe Trump’s ‘falsehoods’ that way."
https://wapo.st/2IkkNuq
Quote:
It’s (almost) official: The president of the United States is a liar.

This will not come as a revelation to people who have closely followed President Trump’s public statements and Twitter feed and have long doubted his veracity. It is, instead, a late-dawning recognition by mainstream news organizations, which until fairly recently shied away from branding the president’s many questionable utterances as outright lies.

Nowadays, many in the news media are no longer bothering to grant Trump the benefit of the doubt. In routine news and feature stories, Trump’s dishonesty carries no fig leaf. It is described baldly.
About. God. Damn. Time.

You heard it here a year ago, June 2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Finally! A headline that does not equivocate.

Trump is a baldfaced liar
https://wapo.st/2twehsW

YES YES YES

Let us, all news media, and all who speak of thump abandon euphemisms and call him what he is.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 PM

How about another heaping helping of Trump treason? This time, it's Trump deciding that Kim Jong Un is off-limits to the CIA:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promise...jtc_news_index
Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
How about another heaping helping of Trump treason? This time, it's Trump deciding that Kim Jong Un is off-limits to the CIA:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promise...jtc_news_index

Here's how I see it:

Trump: "I received a wonderful letter, a beautiful letter, the best letter from Chairman Kim."

Reality: He got the letter "T". It could stand for "Trump" or it could stand for "Traitor". That's a distinction without a difference now.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:07 PM

"Donald Trump did not run to unify the country. That was the last -- the country did not vote to be unified," -- James Carville, November 9, 2016.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 AM

Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138563456985128964
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 started complaining about how tractors can't hook up to the Internet. And even Fox News said, "Yeah, that's enough of that." and broke away.
https://hexagonagriculture.com/news/...smart-tractors
Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...inian-firmware

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...ight-to-repair

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-12-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it.
The second part is more or less true, but the first isn't. The tractors themselves don't actually connect to the internet any more than your car does (well, for driving purposes, i.e. telecom or lojack excluded).

They feature firmware that attempt to prevent third party repair via software. Doesn't need to be connected to the internet for any of that, except firmware updates, which are generally downloaded elsewhere to be later loaded to the tractors, anyway.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Stepping on Legos 49%, Trump 41%.

Bad news for Trump + funny memes = gold.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM

I posted this in the Mueller thread too:

Hope Hicks has agreed to a closed-door interview with the House Judiciary Committee June 19th! One week from today!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Good news and bad news: Hope Hicks will testify; Hope Hicks works for Faux News.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Let's hope it's a screen or thin wooden door so they'll be able to hear each other.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 PM

*Cups and strings not included.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Actually, some of them do. John Deere uses smart technology to prevent unauthorized repairs of the equipment they make, And the farmers hate it. ...
Of course what Trump is thinking of is farmers logged into Twitter as they work the fields, clicking 'like' and 'retweet' on all Trump's stuff.

That's what the Internet is for, after all.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM

[My bold]

Trump: If Offered Dirt By Foreign Government On 2020 Rival, 'I Think I'd Take It'
Quote:
President Trump says he might accept dirt from another country on his potential Democratic rivals if offered, raising new questions and concerns about foreign influence on American elections.

"It's not an interference, they have information — I think I'd take it," Trump said. "If I thought there was something wrong, I'd go maybe to the FBI — if I thought there was something wrong."
And then promptly contradicts himself.
Quote:
"I'll tell you what, I've seen a lot of things over my life. I don't think in my whole life I've ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don't call the FBI. You throw somebody out of your office, you do whatever you do," Trump said. "Oh, give me a break – life doesn't work that way."
And then to make sure all options are covered
Quote:
...Trump also said he might both accept the information and call the FBI. But the president was clear he disagreed with comments Wray has made to Congress that "the FBI would want to know about" any efforts from abroad to interfere or influence in U.S. elections.

"The FBI director is wrong, because frankly it doesn't happen like that in life," Trump said. "Now maybe it will start happening, maybe today you'd think differently."
He is becoming more incoherent every day.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM

I’d say he’s trolling us, but he’s not that clever.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM

No collusion! Long live collusion!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
That covers it.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
L'collusion, c'est moi!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 PM

I am a little dismayed with how the media is jumping all over this as if it is breaking news. Yes, Trump said some dumb, possibly criminal shit for the sixteen thousandth time! You would think they would have figured out by now that what he says will never, ever bring him down. Just off the top of my head for dumb Trump statements we have:

Praising neo-Nazis
Praising dictators
Saying that Kim Jong-Un is off-limits to the CIA
Dismissing the findings of the intelligence community on unambiguous matters
Insulting live war heroes
Insulting dead war heroes
Insulting the US' longtime allies
Calling Mexicans rapists
Calling African nations "shitholes"
Incestuous thoughts about his daughter
Admitting to sexual assault
Lying about anything and everything under the sun including trivial shit

And there's probably about a hundred more I missed. And every goddamn time the media comes running and laps it up. Look what the dummy said now! Surely this is the end of his shenanigans for these statements are certain to inspire the kind of outrage that dethrones kings!

Trump will never be brought down by what he says and we already have ample proof of this. Any of these statements are enough to ruin the careers of anyone else but Trump just doubles down, sells it as entertainment and the media keeps buying.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
L'collusion, c'est moi!

<pedantic note, or why you can't be allowed any fun>The elision happens with "L'Etat", because "Le Etat" would be two e's in a row which sounds weird. Similarly, "la Argentine" would get elided to "l'Argentine" because, again, doubling up on vowels is Not Done. In this case however, "collusion" starts with a hard consonant so no elision allowed.</pn,owycbaaf>
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM

I've mentioned before that I always kill the volume (or fast forward) if Trump's on TV; now I do that with most Republicans, who've all bought into his horseshit.
Bad enough that the news has an obligation to present whatever this particular president of the United States says, but there's definitely no obligation to have to listen to the fucker, so, to put the question out there - am I seriously the only here who does that? Other than morbid curiosity/cheap laughs/incredulity, I can't see how anyone could possibly bother. You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 06-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?
With a grandfather who lied any time it wasn't more profitable or nastier to tell the truth and a mother who lies even by how she sits up... yeah. And whether it's American politics or Spanish ones, you can always turn it into a drinking game.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
<pedantic note, or why you can't be allowed any fun>The elision happens with "L'Etat", because "Le Etat" would be two e's in a row which sounds weird. Similarly, "la Argentine" would get elided to "l'Argentine" because, again, doubling up on vowels is Not Done. In this case however, "collusion" starts with a hard consonant so no elision allowed.</pn,owycbaaf>
Yeah, but it's funnier BECAUSE it parallels the original quotation, even though it's technically incorrect. Personally, I'm way into pedantry and correcting others' language mistakes, but in this case, don't mess with the funny.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
I am a little dismayed with how the media is jumping all over this as if it is breaking news. Yes, Trump said some dumb, possibly criminal shit for the sixteen thousandth time! You would think they would have figured out by now that what he says will never, ever bring him down. Just off the top of my head for dumb Trump statements we have:

Praising neo-Nazis
Praising dictators
Saying that Kim Jong-Un is off-limits to the CIA
Dismissing the findings of the intelligence community on unambiguous matters
Insulting live war heroes
Insulting dead war heroes
Insulting the US' longtime allies
Calling Mexicans rapists
Calling African nations "shitholes"
Incestuous thoughts about his daughter
Admitting to sexual assault
Lying about anything and everything under the sun including trivial shit

And there's probably about a hundred more I missed. And every goddamn time the media comes running and laps it up. Look what the dummy said now! Surely this is the end of his shenanigans for these statements are certain to inspire the kind of outrage that dethrones kings!

Trump will never be brought down by what he says and we already have ample proof of this. Any of these statements are enough to ruin the careers of anyone else but Trump just doubles down, sells it as entertainment and the media keeps buying.
Because it's important for everyone to pay attention to what this idiot says and , supposedly, believes.

It will afftect the ballot box at some point - one hopes.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Yeah, but it's funnier BECAUSE it parallels the original quotation, even though it's technically incorrect. Personally, I'm way into pedantry and correcting others' language mistakes, but in this case, don't mess with the funny.
I know, I know. I was just edumacatin' is all . Occupational hazard.

In actual fact, it's doubly funny for a French speaker, because the unnecessary elision kind of makes it sound like French as spoken by someone from eul'Nord.

Y'see, France has its own Oop Norf where they talk funny, and one of the trademarks of northern-speak is eliding E's that shouldn't be (typically in definite articles), but adding them back in front of the elision. Hence, "eul'Nord" instead of "le Nord".
Also, eul'Nord and its people have historically been saddled with a reputation for alcoholism, chronic depression on account of the British-like weather, inbreeding, boorishness and generally low IQ. They're our stereotypical coal country blue collar hicks, essentially (at least in popular imagery). Think Liverpool, but less fun.

So the thought of Trump speaking like them while trying to misquote a king doth tickle .
Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Because it's important for everyone to pay attention to what this idiot says and , supposedly, believes.

It will afftect the ballot box at some point - one hopes.
I'm sorry but we're completely out of hope. The demand has overwhelmed all supply and production has slowed to a crawl. May we interest you in despondency, rage and vitriol? We're currently offering all three at buy 1 get 2 free.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
You can put up with being blatantly - and fucking constantly - lied to, then?
62,984,828 people voted for a man who anyone with two brain cells to rub together would realize he's been a lying grifter all his adult* life. I'm guessing they hoped he would change -- I know I did between election and inauguration day. Anyone who votes for him again in 2020... well see the first sentence.

*I can fully imagine he lied as a kid, too.
"Donnie, eat your peas."
"I did, mum."
"What are those, then?"
"Those aren't peas, those are a round fungus! I eat more peas than anybody else in the world ever has! I know more about eating peas than anybody, ever! No PEAS! Lock her up!!1!"
"Wait, what?"
"It'll make sense later."
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
"It'll make sense later."
It won't make sense later, but it will have context.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Huh?

Trump Is Set to Send More Troops Overseas—This Time to Poland
Quote:
With a president forever battling questions about his ties to Russia, Donald Trump’s administration keeps finding ways to confront Russia. There have been sanctions, diplomat expulsions, and NATO buildups; on Wednesday it was the announcement of a framework for deploying a further 1,000 troops into Poland.

Those troops will reportedly be focused on logistics rather than combat, and they will come with a set of intelligence drones and plans for a U.S. military headquarters in Poland. “This is about creating the infrastructure and the abilities to respond to a variety of security threats that face the NATO alliance,” said Eric Pahon, a Defense Department spokesman, in an interview. “We’ve seen a steady pattern of Russian aggression and destabilizing activities over the past 20 years or more.”

Rachel Rizzo, a fellow in the trans-Atlantic security program at the Center for a New American Security, is skeptical. “The U.S. currently has about 4,500 troops that rotate in and out of Poland, so what is the benefit of adding another thousand?” she said in an email. “The U.S. has already proven its commitment to Eastern European security, and continuously adding more rotational troops is an overly simplistic way to think about deterrence.”
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Is there a war in Poland that I didn't hear about? The last one was in all the papers.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM

And now this is breaking: https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-...ntl/index.html

The missiles were fired from Yemen, but odds are fair to good they were built in Iran. Will Trump, under increasing pressure at home, look for a foreign adventure? We shall see.