Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM

Portland OR 17 August 2019 Rally of Far-Right Racist Militant Dipshits

AP story here:
Quote:
Portland police are mobilizing to prevent clashes between out-of-state far-right groups planning a rally here and the homegrown anti-fascists who oppose them as America’s culture wars seep into this progressive haven.
Quote:
Portland leaders are planning a major law enforcement presence on the heels of similar rallies in June and last summer that turned violent, and the recent hate-driven shooting in El Paso, Texas. None of the city’s nearly 1,000 police officers will have the day off, and Portland will get help from the Oregon State Police and the FBI. Mayor Ted Wheeler has said he may ask Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, to call up the Oregon National Guard.
Who called for/sponsored the rally? Glad you asked!
Quote:
The rally is being organized by a member of the Proud Boys, who have been designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group. Others expected include members of the American Guard, the Three Percenters, the Oathkeepers and the Daily Stormers. American Guard is a white nationalist group, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, while the Three Percenters and the Oathkeepers are extremist anti-government militias. The Daily Stormers are neo-Nazis, according to the center.
Joe Biggs, (ex-Info Wars reporter, ex-Twitter user) is the Proud Boys member who has been organizing this rally.

It seems pretty clear that this is "itching for a fight" more than it is "celebrating anything at all" and it sounds like they may get what they want, but I don't think they'll get Biggs' main goal:
Quote:
Joe Biggs, organizer of Saturday’s rally, said the attack on Ngo made him decide to hold the event with the goal of getting antifa declared a domestic terrorist organization.
Like the FBI did with Juggalos, I guess.
Quote:
Biggs said those coming to Portland have been told not to bring weapons or start fights, but they will defend themselves if attacked.

Biggs toned down his online rhetoric after the El Paso shootings and urged followers coming to Portland to keep a cool head. He says he is not racist — he has a toddler daughter with his Guyanese wife — but wants to show the world antifa’s violent tactics.

“That group of antifa there in Portland needs to be exposed for who they are,” Biggs said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. “And guess what? They should be scared.”
Wait: who exactly is engaging in terrorism here?
Quote:
Everyday Portlanders, however, are feeling more frustrated than scared by the protests that bring their city to a standstill. A 5K race scheduled for Saturday along the waterfront was moved at the last minute to avoid any violence, and an Irish bar that’s a city institution canceled an amateur boxing event that draws 500 spectators. Other businesses plan to close on one of the last weekends of the city’s peak tourist season.

“People are nervous, people are hesitant to go anywhere near that area, and I don’t blame them,” said Aaron Montaglione, owner of Terrapin Events, which is putting on the 5K race. “It’s affecting everyone.”
I expect more news/posturing over the next few days and prolly all day Saturday, but I didn't want this to have to be a Breaking News thread, where we can't make political comments, etc. Fuck that because fuck these white supremacist assholes. Godddamned nazi jerks, ruining this weekend for the people of Portland like they fucking ruin everything.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Portland, Oregon- that's perfect!
Right wingers could use some fresh footage of their super-nemesis antifa. Warriors, come out and play-ee-ay!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

If they really believed that the antifas were terrorists, they wouldn't be going to Portland to confront them. If they thought the antifas would be waiting for them with guns or bombs, the right wingers would be running in the other direction.

But these assholes know they're safe; at most they're be some fistfights (and the assholes seem to be going top great length to make sure they'll be the bigger crowd).

This is the usual tactic of this kind; they have to gather a hundred of them together in order to be brave enough to fight one person. And then they'll all brag about how they defended themselves.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM

It would be best if the doxers would come out in droves just to 'people watch'. Just crush the assholes with a load of objective reporting.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
It would be best if the doxers would come out in droves just to 'people watch'. Just crush the assholes with a load of objective reporting.
Keep the cameras and videos going. These Nazi assholes will start shit and try to pin it on the Antifas.

The first one brandishing ANYthing at all, the cops should swarm them.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

There were some news-worthy items yesterday:
Quote:
Patriot Prayer’s Joey Gibson, who is not involved in this weekend’s event but organized similar rallies in 2017 and 2018 that erupted in clashes, surrendered Friday on an arrest warrant for felony rioting. He was at a confrontation that broke out on May 1 outside a bar where members of the so-called “antifa” movement had gathered after a May Day demonstration.
Quote:
A video of that attack went viral and led the Proud Boys, who have been designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, to organize Saturday’s event.
Who's coming to today's event?
Quote:
In addition to the Proud Boys, the white nationalist American Guard and the Three Percenters, a far-right militia, have said they will have members in Portland.

Hate group watchdogs say the Daily Stormers, a neo-Nazi group, are also expected.

The Oath Keepers, another far-right militia group, said in a statement they were pulling out of the rally because organizers have not done enough to keep white supremacist groups away.
But these aren't the only groups who's viewpoints will be represented:
Quote:
More than two dozen local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the Federal Protective Service, were in Portland, Oregon, on Saturday to help police there monitor a right-wing rally that’s expected to draw demonstrators from around the U.S.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

By all means cameras. Get these lowlifes on video screaming their bilge and out them. Maybe they'll lose their jobs. Maybe their employers could fill those jobs with some nice Jewish folks. Wouldn't that be irony at its finest?
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an “ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.” Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!
Trump Tweet form this morning.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

When is Trump going to properly do his job?
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Good for the Oathkeepers for pulling out. They are the only group I’ve paid any mind to out of these fringe groups with near zero followers.

These goofballs should be forced onto private property just like the left wing goofballs. Unfortunately so much desirable space, in cities especially, is “owned” by the government. They do such a poor job maintaining the property. Also, constitutional rights to assembly have mistakenly been interpreted to guarantee goofball groups the right to freeload on “public” property, making it even more difficult for the slack-jawed coppers.

In a free society, these social outcasts from both sides would have a very difficult time finding a significant property owner to allow them to let off their angst on each other. Unless of course they made it into a pay-per-view gang fight, which would be mildly amusing.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; Yesterday at 04:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Good for the Oathkeepers for pulling out. They are the only group I’ve paid any mind to out of these fringe groups with near zero followers.

These goofballs should be forced onto private property just like the left wing goofballs. Unfortunately so much desirable space, in cities especially, is “owned” by the government. They do such a poor job maintaining the property. Also, constitutional rights to assembly have mistakenly been interpreted to guarantee goofball groups the right to freeload on “public” property, making it even more difficult for the slack-jawed coppers.

In a free society, these social outcasts from both sides would have a very difficult time finding a significant property owner to allow them to let off their angst on each other. Unless of course they made it into a pay-per-view gang fight, which would be mildly amusing.
Yes a pay per view fight between extremists would be good but hey wait a few years and you will see it for free.

Now, the rest of that post conveys a lack of understanding of how concentrated power would become in the land owners and their mercenaries. We’d be back to the days of warlords without a properly functioning state.

Last edited by octopus; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

I really think that what these people want is a fight. They want to participate in violence, and in our society, violence can be hard to come by.

I don't see why we can't just set aside a corner of a park, make sure that anyone who is entering is aware of the nature of that corner of the park don't allow any weapons, and then just let them beat on eachother till they get as tired of it as we are of them.
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

They want a fight so that they can get a reaction that justifies more fighting.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Just popped over to the Fox and Breitbart sites, both of which have heds like ANTIFA THUGS GO BERSERK; EAT GRANNIES

But you knew they were gonna run those no matter what happened.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; Yesterday at 05:21 PM. Reason: Grannies added
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Ha, this is peak Portland--spotted on SE Grand today.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Good to see that just like our drooling idiot so-called president, drooling morons in this very thread have used the eminently brave and purposeful word combination "both sides".
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I'm guessing somebody hacked that.

Kind of like this one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...road-sign.html
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I do not endorse that sign at all.

I find Nazism to be a major turn-off.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

So glad to be livin in a country where we got freedumz!

Gimme your tired, your poor, your bear spray and baseball bats. Your huddled masses struggling to breathe in an officer's choke hold, your good guys with their their M16s.

Long live the freedom to assemble...peaceably.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Just popped over to the Fox and Breitbart sites, both of which have heds like ANTIFA THUGS GO BERSERK; EAT GRANNIES

Fox - At least 13 arrested at Portland protests as police try to keep Antifa, right-wing demonstrators apart

Breitbart - Portland Police Gear Up for Antifa, Right-Wing Protests
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Antifa thugs? I thought thugs was a racist term now. And what’s with the redundancy in those headlines?
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Antifa thugs? I thought thugs was a racist term now.
Well, it's kind of hard to make paraphrases of loony-right news media sound authentic without using racist terms.

Quote:
In addition to the Proud Boys, the white nationalist American Guard and the Three Percenters, a far-right militia, have said they will have members in Portland.
By the way, just as an update for the various Dopers who were having conniption fits in another discussion not too long ago about the alleged absurdity of claiming that the so-called "Betsy Ross flag" symbol has any cultural associations with right-wingnuttery and racism, here's the Three Percenters' flag.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They want a fight so that they can get a reaction that justifies more fighting.
Like all bullies and trolls. It's all about the reactions they can provoke.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I'm guessing somebody hacked that.

Kind of like this one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...road-sign.html
My personal favorite

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...n_rampage.html
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Antifa thugs? I thought thugs was a racist term now.
It’s not, though some people have unsuccessfully tried to make it one.

The term did come from a supposed Indian death cult (Thuggee), but I’m not aware of it being used as an anti-Indian term. (Not in modern day, though I believe it was in the days of British colonialism.)
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

So, I'm supposed to be scared of Antifa now? Am I still supposed to be scared of the New Black Panther Party, or are we admitting that was bullshit the way we will be admitting that Antifa fear is bullshit in a few years?
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
It’s not, though some people have unsuccessfully tried to make it one.
"Thug" is one of those ambiguous dogwhistle terms, like using "New York" to mean "Jewish". Literally, "thug" only means something like "a criminally aggressive person". But racists tend not to use "thug" to refer to criminally aggressive people who are, say, white nationalists. "Thug" to them connotes concepts like "inner-city (i.e., black) hoodlums" and people they consider inappropriately sympathetic to "inner-city hoodlums" (i.e., liberals).
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

They had a video on liveleak of alleged Antifa members a while back in Portland bludgeoning a random old man with a crowbar to the head causing major bleeding, I think I'd be nervous of any large, angry group of young people no matter what the political cause, mobs are bad mmm'kay.

Last edited by pool; Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

So those who travelled to Oregon from other places to hold their rally there, what are they marching for? Do they have a platform, gripes? Don't tell me they're marching for free speech, or some other bullshit. What is the point of this march, what are they trying to say?
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Like all bullies and trolls. It's all about the reactions they can provoke.
They're not doing it just for lulz; think about why they organized their rally: to get antifa put on an official governmental list of terrorist organizations, which means federal scrutiny and potentially lengthy mandatory minimum federal imprisonment for conspiring to commit acts of terror. I'm sure antifa and ACLU would litigate this in court, but there would be a chilling effect, no doubt.

Meanwhile, where's the threat to call Proud Boys a terrorist organization? Where's the threat to call other white nationalist groups and decentralized affiliations terrorism? The Trump administration wants their online activity not just protected as "free speech" but they want to use the power of federal regulatory oversight to force social media companies to carry their content.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
They had a video on liveleak of alleged Antifa members a while back in Portland bludgeoning a random old man with a crowbar to the head causing major bleeding, I think I'd be nervous of any large, angry group of young people no matter what the political cause, mobs are bad mmm'kay.
Yes, mobs are bad. The white supremacist mob that descended on Portland today from all over the the country is one of the worst mobs.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
So those who travelled to Oregon from other places to hold their rally there, what are they marching for? Do they have a platform, gripes? Don't tell me they're marching for free speech, or some other bullshit. What is the point of this march, what are they trying to say?
To agitate, and to mainstream the cause of White Nationalism. If they can walk away from a violent confrontation with no sanction against them and having succeeded in getting antifa placed on a list of terrorist organizations, then that adds greater legitimacy to their cause, to the cause of far-right politics, which includes white nationalism. Ironically, there are some members of Proud Boys who are non-white, and who don't yet understand that they're legitimizing terrorism against themselves. People like Candace Owen and Andy Ngo think they're immune because they're on the same team. In the end, they're not, and they never will be, and they will probably learn this the hard way. But not before many others before them.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Yeah, but what I meant was: What is their supposed legitimate reason? You know how at most protest marches there are people with signs? The signs usually state just what they want. "What do we want? This thing on my sign. When do we want it? Now."
That kind of thing. What is the so-called thing they are asking for? Are they not even pretending to have a purpose?
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Yes, mobs are bad. The white supremacist mob that descended on Portland today from all over the the country is one of the worst mobs.
I wouldn't know, I've never heard of the Proud Boys till recently, do they attack people too?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=Cd38I_1561920937

There's the video I was talking about. Who are the Proud Boys, are they the same group from Charlottesville, or some other group?
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't know, I've never heard of the Proud Boys till recently, do they attack people too?
Yes. Now you know.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who are the Proud Boys, are they the same group from Charlottesville, or some other group?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proud_Boys

According to that article, they were present at Charlottesville but were not involved with organizing the event and have supposedly distanced themselves from the violence.

Last edited by Skywatcher; Yesterday at 08:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Proud Boys Declare Portland Rally a Success: ‘Go Look at President Trump’s Twitter’

At least one of the far-right groups that squared-off against antifascist demonstrators in Portland said they’d gotten exactly what they wanted: a sign of Trump’s support.

Quote:
Their quick exit from the long-awaited stand-off against antifascist groups came just a few hours after President Trump signaled he was watching—which was apparently all many on the far-right wanted anyway.

“Go look at President Trump’s Twitter,” Proud Boys protest organizer Joe Biggs told The Oregonian when asked what message the group wanted to convey. “He talked about Portland, said he’s watching antifa. That’s all we wanted. We wanted national attention, and we got it. Mission success.”
I wonder if Trump will say there were good people on both sides. Nah, the anti-Nazis will probably be labeled as a terrorist group.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post

I wonder if Trump will say there were good people on both sides. Nah, the anti-Nazis will probably be labeled as a terrorist group.
Just like those fuckin' Antifa bastards on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944. Bunch of thugs showed up on the beach and started fights with those good folks who were just sitting in their bunkers.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Quote:
To agitate, and to mainstream the cause of White Nationalism. If they can walk away from a violent confrontation with no sanction against them and having succeeded in getting antifa placed on a list of terrorist organizations, then that adds greater legitimacy to their cause, to the cause of far-right politics, which includes white nationalism. Ironically, there are some members of Proud Boys who are non-white, and who don't yet understand that they're legitimizing terrorism against themselves. People like Candace Owen and Andy Ngo think they're immune because they're on the same team. In the end, they're not, and they never will be, and they will probably learn this the hard way. But not before many others before them.
The difference is that Antifa is not very bright. They are far too easily agitated and then being not too bright they start smashing things and people. It doesn’t help that they always wear masks. They look like dangerous anarchists.

If I were the folks squaring against Antifa I’d repeat visits to those towns that have nests of Antifa until the business owners that pay the taxes to the security forces get sick of taxes going for riot control and force the local government to crack down on masked rioters.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I really think that what these people want is a fight. They want to participate in violence, and in our society, violence can be hard to come by.

I don't see why we can't just set aside a corner of a park, make sure that anyone who is entering is aware of the nature of that corner of the park don't allow any weapons, and then just let them beat on eachother till they get as tired of it as we are of them.

Those clowns won't go for that because it's not just a fight they're looking for. They're looking for a fight they think they can win. They won't attack anyone they do not perceive as weaker than they are.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

Quote:
The difference is that Antifa is not very bright. They are far too easily agitated and then being not too bright they start smashing things and people. It doesn’t help that they always wear masks. They look like dangerous anarchists.
I don't disagree: as someone who lived in the Pacific Northwest during Occupy, antifa reminds me of a hyper-caffeinated version of that, equipped with sticks and masks.

Still, there's a blatant double-standard among Republicans who want to protect hate speech but want to call those who show up to white power rallies ready to throw down "terrorists." Because I'll tell you this: antifa's not inspiring any couch-surfing anarchist or libtard to go bomb a federal building or shoot up a shopping center, but we know damn well that people on the right are more than capable of such atrocities.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

“Nests of Antifa?”

Are you trying to say that these “shithole” towns have an “infestation?”
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Quote:
“Nests of Antifa?”

Are you trying to say that these “shithole” towns have an “infestation?”
Don't you mean "antifastation"?
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Quote:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=Cd38I_1561920937

There's the video I was talking about. Who are the Proud Boys, are they the same group from Charlottesville, or some other group?

About that video...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/el...XgjsT26EfgX_Vg
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Proud Boys do attack people.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM

I think Darth Shit-for-Brains should totally declare Antifas to be domestic terrorists. And arrest them. Put them on trial for their terroristic acts of brutal mayhem. The damning evidence, the eight by ten glossy photos. Bring it! Shit, can't find any, arrest the Insane Clown Posse, at least they exist! Sorta kinda.

What I'm hearing is that the Proud Goys were met with colorful costumes and cheerful mockery. Right on, brothers and sisters, pals and gals! Precisely the correct counter-attack!
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
Oh, was the second, bearded man that got hit with a crowbar who appeared to be trying to break it up an aggressor as well or just a casualty?
Old Today, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Because I'll tell you this: antifa's not inspiring any couch-surfing anarchist or libtard to go bomb a federal building or shoot up a shopping center, but we know damn well that people on the right are more than capable of such atrocities.
Yeah Antifa only inspires people to shoot up bars and kill their sister. I absolutely agree that alt-right, and white supremacists can inspire people to violence but I don't think it's fair to say it can't go the other way as well. Antifa is a rather new and unique movement I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they do have active members, or inspire other lone nuts to commit violence, it's probably inevitable.

Last edited by pool; Today at 12:02 AM.
Old Today, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah Antifa only inspires people to shoot up bars and kill their sister. I absolutely agree that alt-right, and white supremacists can inspire people to violence but I don't think it's fair to say it can't go the other way as well. Antifa is a rather new and unique movement I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they do have active members, or inspire other lone nuts to commit violence, it's probably inevitable.
Well, if that is the case then you have to have a cite about where that "Antifa only inspires people to shoot up bars and kill their sister" say so comes from.

Last edited by GIGObuster; Today at 12:31 AM.
Old Today, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Well, if that is the case then you have to have a cite about where that "Antifa only inspires people to shoot up bars and kill their sister" say so comes from.
pool is referencing the Dayton shooter, who was apparently supportive of Elizabeth Warren, Antifa and other Lefty-type stuff. Because, you know, the Dayton shooting was obviously politically motivated and inspired by the violent left.

( )