Old 10-21-2015, 11:26 AM

That's hilarious. I imagine that after the interview, he went around the floor of the Senate selling cookies and wrapping paper from a catalog for a field trip to Iowa
Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM

25,000 25,001 Stupid Republican Ideas since March 26, 2009!

Last edited by Senegoid; 10-21-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

This one is more a clever Democratic response to a stupid Republican idea, but it seems appropriate to this thread.

http://tides.bangordailynews.com/201...re-recipients/
Quote:
One of the most constant and maddening themes of Gov. Paul LePage’s tenure in the Blaine House has been his manipulation of the facts in an attempt to divide Mainers by demonizing those on various forms of welfare such as food stamps (or SNAP) and general assistance.

LePage has pushed for policies that limit the ability of marginalized and suffering Mainers to get the help that they need and deserve with relentless campaigns aimed at convincing the general public that poor people everywhere are doing things like using their SNAP assistance to buy alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, lottery tickets, lap dances and souvenirs from Disney World.

The bill faces unlikely odds of becoming law, but if passed it would prevent LePage from using his expense account for things like alcohol, lottery tickets, tattoos, and bail- the same type of things that the governor has accused welfare recipients of spending their money on.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM

Donald Trump wants to close mosques and revoke the passports of Muslim citizens.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
...Varney pressed Trump on the same point:

“Can you do it? Can you close a mosque? We do have religious freedom.”

And at this point Trump admits he has no idea what he’s talking about, mumbling:

“Well, I don’t know. I mean, I haven’t heard about the closing of the mosque. It depends, if the mosque is, you know, loaded for bear, I don’t know. You’re going to have to certainly look at it.”...
Jesus wept.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Oh, come one. “redacted due to sources and methods” is completely accurate.

Source: Trey Gowdy's ass.
Method: Pulled out of source.
I'm going to go with calling him Boy Howdy from now on whenever I "sincerely" agree with his statements or opinions.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=boy+howdy
Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Oh, come one. “redacted due to sources and methods” is completely accurate.

Source: Trey Gowdy's ass.
Method: Pulled out of source.
The full story may not be out on this. I saw one headline that suggested it was a mistake by the CIA not to redact someone's name. That could be true, or it could be Gowdy covering his ass ("I caught a security lapse the CIA missed!"), or it might have been referring to something else entirely.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
The full story may not be out on this. I saw one headline that suggested it was a mistake by the CIA not to redact someone's name. That could be true, or it could be Gowdy covering his ass ("I caught a security lapse the CIA missed!"), or it might have been referring to something else entirely.
In letter to a member of the committee? This wasn't a press release, but a letter to the ranking minority member, who, I believe, is allow access to the evidence. I could be wrong, as I said I don't follow select committees.

I do like the idea that the chair of a house committee is more security conscious than the CIA.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Eugene Delguardio wants to stop Paul Ryan, the Homosexual Lobby's Trojan Horse for Speaker. Because of Ryan's dangerous Gay Bill of Special Rights, known by sane people as the Employee Non-Discrimination Act.

The story is actually about Ryan trying to wrangle his party but Delguardio is too stupid not to single out.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Ben Carson wants the Education Department to control speech at colleges.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:15 PM

I tell you, righties are so irony-impaired it's nt even funny.

Ben, the mechanism you use today to suppress speech you don't like will be used tomorrow to suppress speech you do.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I tell you, righties are so irony-impaired it's nt even funny.

Ben, the mechanism you use today to suppress speech you don't like will be used tomorrow to suppress speech you do.
First you control speech, then you control thought. Once heretical thought is impossible, suppressing approved speech will also be impossible (and suppressing unapproved speech will be unnecessary). Mr Eric Blair made that point back in 1949.

Last edited by OttoDaFe; 10-21-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
...Ben, the mechanism you use today to suppress speech you don't like will be used tomorrow to suppress speech you do.
Do we have to wait till tomorrow? The camps are already built, right? And we could round them all up at the same time as we get all the guns.

And speaking of nuts....

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/1...ling-Democrats

Quote:
...The military and local law enforcement agencies in the United States that the radical left has been trashing in public since the Vietnam War until now will not take part in any plot to disarm American citizens.

Soldiers, Marines and sheriffs may even defect to actively resist any federal officers from a pool of just over 100,000 who would take on the suicidal task of taking on the military, local police, and a hundred righteously-angry million gun owners, led by over a thousand angry Green Berets that warned President Obama in 2013 not push his luck...

...We do not want a civil war against the radical left wing of the Democrat Party, but let it be made abundantly clear that if they start one, they will be utterly destroyed by armed free citizens, as the Founders intended....
Old 10-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Somebody has been reading The Turner Diaries.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 PM

Only until their lips get tired.

(I'm sitting here just trying to imagine what a big hairy ass deal this would be if it were some sort of Muslim organization....)
Old 10-22-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
It's still an improvement over Darrell "oops, did I just reveal classified information in a televised committee hearing AGAIN?" Issa. ISTR the CIA were trying to figure out how they could withhold information from him even though he was committee chair.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:

But the letter from Rep Cummings specifically quoted the CIA as saying that they checked and, nope, it did not need to be classified.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:41 PM

The Benghazi! hearing is not political, oh, no. Even though Marco Rubio is trying to use it to raise funds.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
It as a while ago when I wondered when this would happen.
Post 16097. 8-11-2014

"Have the "Impeach Hillary" websites and petitions started yet?

just askin' questions.

I've already seen over at Snopes the recycled Clinton Facebook acusations popping up on a regular basis.'

Last edited by smithsb; 10-22-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Dr. Ben Carson debates creationism vs. evolution with himself. There is so much proud, unadulterated ignant packed into those 30 odd minutes it hurts transatlantically.

How does a (former) brain surgeon, who presumably had to sit through at least a couple biology classes in a row at some point, say shit like : " ... according to evolutionary model, you know we really came from an amoeba. And amoebas, they just like split and then there's two amoebas. So it seems to me like according to evolutionary model you do things that are efficient. So rather than going out and looking for a mate you would just divide, and then there would be two of you. ..." with a straight face ?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 AM

Matt Drudge, having eagerly watched the Benghazi hearings for ammunition with which to attack Hillary, has unleashed this mighty salvo on Twitter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Drudge
Hillary health was biggest relevation at hearing. Coughing fit. Slow-speaking, obviously induced by meds. Choose not to believe if you must
Well, that's mighty white of you, Matt, to allow us to believe that a coughing fit coming after several hours of spoken testimony might not be indicative of a major medical condition.

But wait! There's another tweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudge again
Last time she showed up with prism glasses from blod [sic] clot, vertigo. Today obviously anti-anxiety meds, hypothyroid issues. #BenghaziCommittee
Roll up, roll up, and see the amazing Dr. Udge diagnose complex medical conditions and pharmacological histories while never once being in the same room as the patient or indeed having any medical training whatsoever! Results guaranteed! Never admittedly wrong!

Last edited by Gyrate; 10-23-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Matt Drudge, having eagerly watched the Benghazi hearings for ammunition with which to attack Hillary, has unleashed this mighty salvo on Twitter:
Well, that's mighty white of you, Matt, to allow us to believe that a coughing fit coming after several hours of spoken testimony might not be indicative of a major medical condition.

But wait! There's another tweet!

Roll up, roll up, and see the amazing Dr. Udge diagnose complex medical conditions and pharmacological histories while never once being in the same room as the patient or indeed having any medical training whatsoever! Results guaranteed! Never admittedly wrong!
Personally, I think it's the best remote diagnosis since Bill Frist told us how Terri Schiavo was responding to visual stimuli.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Dr. Ben Carson debates creationism vs. evolution with himself. There is so much proud, unadulterated ignant packed into those 30 odd minutes it hurts transatlantically.

How does a (former) brain surgeon, who presumably had to sit through at least a couple biology classes in a row at some point, say shit like : " ... according to evolutionary model, you know we really came from an amoeba. And amoebas, they just like split and then there's two amoebas. So it seems to me like according to evolutionary model you do things that are efficient. So rather than going out and looking for a mate you would just divide, and then there would be two of you. ..." with a straight face ?
To be fair, he also talked about how he pwned Richard Dawkins by saying, "I came from God, and you came from a monkey," bringing his arguments up to currency with the Scopes trial, at least.

ETA: and to be even more fair, I admit that "pwned" was my term, not his. His term in his victories over atheists is "refruted."

Last edited by TonySinclair; 10-23-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post

I assume he trained under Bill "Terri Schiavo's totally not in a persistent vegetative state" Frist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2
To be fair, he also talked about how he pwned Richard Dawkins by saying, "I came from God, and you came from a monkey," bringing his arguments up to currency with the Scopes trial, at least.
More like the Huxley-Wilberforce debates than Scopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2
ETA: and to be even more fair, I admit that "pwned" was my term, not his. His term in his victories over atheists is "refruted."
I thought it was Kirk Cameron who had refruited the atheists with his banana argument.

Last edited by 42fish; 10-23-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Someone should tell the Republicans that political theater is supposed to make your side look good and the other side look bad. Maybe Sidney Blumenthal could send them an e-mail about it.

Quote:
There's nothing too bad in that quote, compared to most creationist musings anyway. He basically outlined the two-fold cost of sex. There are many ideas explaining how and why sex evolved, but the thing about fundies going into biology is they can learn it perfectly well but don't have to actually believe it.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
There's nothing too bad in that quote, compared to most creationist musings anyway. He basically outlined the two-fold cost of sex. There are many ideas explaining how and why sex evolved, but the thing about fundies going into biology is they can learn it perfectly well but don't have to actually believe it.
It's a fair question for a high school kid to ask, but there are good answers to it! Sex creates genetic diversity efficiently!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Sex creates genetic diversity efficiently!
And enthusiastically!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It's a fair question for a high school kid to ask, but there are good answers to it! Sex creates genetic diversity efficiently!
Even sex with oneself?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Babe View Post
Even sex with oneself?
Maybe, maybe not. But why take chances?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
25,000 25,001 Stupid Republican Ideas since March 26, 2009!
Of course many of these are actually just snarky responses to stupid Republican ideas rather than Stupid ideas themselves.

In honor of the 25,000th post (and because I'm a major stats nerd). I took it upon myself to try to actually estimate the number of stupid ideas that were recorded. To do this I looked at every tenth page and did my best to count the number of unique links to stupid Republican ideas.

From this I estimate that there were approximately 3,260 stupid ideas, with a 95% confidence interval of between 2,884 and 3,635, making for about 1.38 stupid ideas posted each day, with a fairly constant rate of about 1 stupid idea for every 6.7 snark posts.

Looking across time it seems that the number of stupid ideas was only about one every other day until the start of 2012. In 2012 through 2013 this number became more variable but increased to about 1.5 per day. Then finally settled down to a steady rate of 2.5 stupid ideas per day starting in 2014 through today.

This may be a slight over estimation as sometimes there may be multiple reports of the same stupid idea, and there may be some poe's law items that I didn't catch but I think its safe to say that the thread is living up to its name.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Well, there's also the simple logistics hurdle. So your brain suddenly foomphs itself into two. Now you have two brains inside a single skull. And die of intracranial pressure (YOU MUST KNOW THAT ONE, DOC !). Or somehow every single cell in the human body must split at the exact same time ? And the exact same speed ?How does that perfect synch and coordination even work, when I sit on my own balls every other week ? Where does all this sudden extra mass of matter come from ? Etc...

Tab A into slut B seems a lot more practical, past a very early complexity level.

And yes, it's a typo, but it was so good I left it in just to make Freud smile.

Last edited by Kobal2; 10-23-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Whoever thought it was a good idea to drag Hillary in front of the Keystone Kops for 11 hours of mind-numbingly stupid questions has to win this thread, right?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:

Tab A into slut B seems a lot more practical, past a very early complexity level.

And yes, it's a typo, but it was so good I left it in just to make Freud smile.
It made me smile, too.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 PM

Even better, Carson will only police LIBERAL speech.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...-f#.ucjplW5kzM

Carson needs Secret Service protection because liberals are out to get him!

Carson On Secret Service: “I’m In Great Danger” Because I Challenge “Secular Progressive Movement”

Quote:
“I’d prefer not to talk about security issues but I have recognized — and people have been telling me for many many months — that I’m in great danger because I challenge the secular progressive movement to the very core.”
I, for one, though far too weird to be a liberal, would take drastic measures to prevent anyone from shooting Dr. Carson. I would, for instance, point out a more suitable target for the gun man. Gutsy, I know, but that's just the kind of hero I am.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostillicus View Post
Whoever thought it was a good idea to drag Hillary in front of the Keystone Kops for 11 hours of mind-numbingly stupid questions has to win this thread, right?
Their line of questioning confused me. For awhile I thought they were going to accuse her of having an affair with Blumenthal. He had full acess to you, right? He sent you all these e-mails? Were you alone? All night? No one showed up?

They seemed frustrated that Clinton didn't break down and admit to hating America and giving a stand down order, or...whatever the CT even is anymore. But that's the thing. If she's a criminal mastermind who's been eluding your grasp all these years, shouldn't you bring in the big guns?

Last edited by marshmallow; 10-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...-f#.ucjplW5kzM

Carson needs Secret Service protection because liberals are out to get him!

Carson On Secret Service: “I’m In Great Danger” Because I Challenge “Secular Progressive Movement”
I can challenge a Guernsey bull in essentially the same way, but it will not amount to much as far as the bull is concerned. I mean, if I am armed against the bull in the same way that Carson is armed against the so called secular progressive movement, I would end up part of the muddy pasture. David-with-a-sling he is not. The "core" has observed the "challenge" and met it with derision, mockery and indifference.

Last edited by eschereal; 10-23-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM

All three at once? Don't know about anyone else, but I have to be pretty riled up for weapons-grade derision and mockery.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Donald Trump insults Iowa voters on Twitter, then blames an intern for the tweet. An intern says that his interns don't have access to his Twitter account.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, the story says at the end that other people do tweet for him, based on what he dictates. On the other hand Trump said the intern did a retweet, which implies Trump did the original tweet internally. I think the intern can be excused for not differentiating insults which should go out from insults which shouldn't.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
In honor of the 25,000th post (and because I'm a major stats nerd). I took it upon myself to try to actually estimate the number of stupid ideas that were recorded. To do this I looked at every tenth page and did my best to count the number of unique links to stupid Republican ideas.

From this I estimate that there were approximately 3,260 stupid ideas, with a 95% confidence interval of between 2,884 and 3,635, making for about 1.38 stupid ideas posted each day, with a fairly constant rate of about 1 stupid idea for every 6.7 snark posts.

Looking across time it seems that the number of stupid ideas was only about one every other day until the start of 2012. In 2012 through 2013 this number became more variable but increased to about 1.5 per day. Then finally settled down to a steady rate of 2.5 stupid ideas per day starting in 2014 through today.
I was looking forward to seeing someone do some kind of statistical analysis like this. I hope your sample of looking at every tenth page was a good statistically representative sample. Anyway, it does look like we have some serious concentration of Stupid here! It looks like we are getting a bit over 500 new Stupid Ideas per year! (That's approx. 3,260 stupid ideas divided by the approx. 6.5 years this thread has been running.) I wonder if there are finitely many Stupid Ideas. I think the number of Stupid Ideas is infinite. And many of them being irrational, they aren't even countable.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I think the number of Stupid Ideas is infinite. And many of them being irrational, they aren't even countable.
Golf clap.

ETA: although I'd like to hear Eric Cantor's take on this.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 10-23-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
All three at once? Don't know about anyone else, but I have to be pretty riled up for weapons-grade derision and mockery.
The indifference is part of the derision: "Ben, you just don't matter. No one cares what you think." Proactive apathy.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:08 AM

For a good laugh -- or cry -- read about Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Michael Eakin:

Quote:
One email from Eakin among many obtained by The Daily Beast suggests a battered wife treat her wounds by “keeping her mouth shut.”
Another email from Eakin contains a joke about a man using a Taser to rape a woman.
McGowan, Eakin and Baxter also shared jokes at the expense of Muslims, black students, and women. Several pictures depict women as animals: one with deer antlers, one naked and on all-fours, costumed like a pig (“How do you know your house is infected with swine-flu?”).
Remember this is a State Supreme Court Justice, not just some Teabagging Ted Cruz supporter mouthing off in a bar.

I "knew" the turd had to be a Republican, even though Pennsylvania is somewhat blueish. Sure enough:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google search summaryy
Michael Eakin, 66, a Republican, is a former Cumberland County district attorney who was elected to the court 14 years ago.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
For a good laugh -- or cry -- read about Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Michael Eakin:

Remember this is a State Supreme Court Justice, not just some Teabagging Ted Cruz supporter mouthing off in a bar.

I "knew" the turd had to be a Republican, even though Pennsylvania is somewhat blueish. Sure enough:
You're just nitpicking. The important thing is that he gives out his email address.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Mitt Romney now claims Obamacare was his idea all along and he's the reason it's been such a success.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 AM

This is just the break the...oh, forget it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM

People are talking about him, the momentum is building!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If I manage to conjure up two of those in the same day, I need a nap.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

My Congressidiot, Frank Guinta, sent out this push poll today:
Quote:
Pick the Worst News or All:
Obamacare will cost a trillion dollars more than expected.

Federally backed insurance exchanges in nine states have failed. HHS warns a dozen more could soon fail.

Obamacare sign-ups are half of what the Congressional Budget Office (CB0) predicted.

Over 30 million Americans remain uninsured.

CBO reports 10 million could lose employer-based coverage, in addition to 5 million who already lost their private plans.

Obamacare is working well.
But he made the mistake of linking to the poll results:

https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqe...G&__sid=100028