Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Did Ryan propose a special tax to pay for the last administration's 'war on surpluses'?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Well, it isn't like Paul Ryan has been around Washington for the last ten years to oppose things like huge tax cuts, TARP or the auto bailout...

oh, wait, he was elected in 1999, voted for the tax cuts, TARP, and the auto bail-out.

Never mind who said it....Ryan or whatever....the REPUBLICANS put us into a deficit with their crazy war....and now they are crying about the deficit? This is just crazy Republican shit.....they should all go out to the wilderness and never come back!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Comes up with a Lame Excuse for Breaking the Law:

Quote:
Under pressure from liberal critics, Justice Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court acknowledged in filings released on Monday that he erred by not disclosing his wife’s past employment as required by federal law.

Justice Thomas said that in his annual financial disclosure statements over the last six years, the employment of his wife, Virginia Thomas, was “inadvertently omitted due to a misunderstanding of the filing instructions.”
We're expected to believe the 'legalese' was too much for him?
Well, I guess we're also expected to believe that he's not raging partisan.

Anyone think the house'll vote to impeach over this?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Comes up with a Lame Excuse for Breaking the Law:

He was even filling it out in prior years and then stopped doing so.

So he's admitted he fills out forms he doesn't understand. I think he should have a legal expert look over any forms he's filling out.

I think we should work harder to find legal experts to put on the Supreme Court because we seem to be doing a crappy job at it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Scalia wasn't around to tell him what to do.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Palin strikes again! Interpreting the "Sputnik moment" part of the SotU:
Quote:
...Palin responded, "That was another one of those WTF moments when [Mr. Obama] so often repeated the 'Sputnik Moment' that he would aspire Americans to celebrate. He needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory in that race to space, yeah, they won, but they also incurred so much debt at the time that it led to the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union."
Palin seems to have a misunderstanding of the analogy....Mr. Obama used the analogy to compare the U.S. to China and India and to suggest that those countries' investments in, for example, green technology and information technology should spur the United States to research and development better technologies so that the United States may remain a world leader. He wasn't cheering on the former Soviet Union.
Y'know, it's certainly not the stupidest Palinism. It just baffles me that, even with time to digest and prepare, her reading/listening comprehension could be so close to non-existent. It's like she's ensconsed in an intelligence-repulsion field.

And I can't believe I'm contributing to the attention she gets.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I think the whole conservative WTF riff is pretty funny. Somebody at the White House should have thought about that.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Waitaminute. I'm not about to visit the FoxNews site to try to find the clip, bit did she actually speak the term "WTF?"
Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
did she actually speak the term "WTF?"
"We Talk Foolishness."
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Waitaminute. I'm not about to visit the FoxNews site to try to find the clip, bit did she actually speak the term "WTF?"
Why wouldn't she? If she gets any criticism, she can always bat her eyes and claim it was shorthand for the President's new motto: "Win the Future!"
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM

I would honestly be surprised if she knew what it stands for. Have we already forgotten about last month, when she didn't know what blood libel was?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Actually, I think the whole conservative WTF riff is pretty funny. Somebody at the White House should have thought about that.
Not sure because I don't care that much, but TPM may have been the first to notice the "WTF" parallel:

Quote:
...9:37 PM: For sake of clarity, I will from now on abbreviate 'win the future' as WTF....
Thats "TPM" for Talking Points Memo, http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc....php?ref=fpblg,
without which no citizen can hope to be well informed.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
.....We're expected to believe the 'legalese' was too much for him?

Anyone think the house'll vote to impeach over this?
For just about one second I thought "Shit gonna hit the fan now!". Unbridled optimism. Nothing, but nothing will happen to him over this. It's Chinatown.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
So he's admitted he fills out forms he doesn't understand. I think he should have a legal expert look over any forms he's filling out.
I guess Scalia is too busy to hand-hold him all the time.

EDIT: Ninja'd/GMTA'd.

Last edited by Steve MB; 01-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 AM

The GOP thinks things are getting to rape-y on the SDMB too, so they are re-defining rape to cut down on it.

Yeah, I said 'rape' twice. But I said it in a non-forceful way.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

This is great news... for Roman Polanski.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Georgia Republican sponsors bill to do away with driver's licenses:
Quote:
State Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, has filed House Bill 7, calling it the "Right to Travel Act."

In his bill, Franklin states, "Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people, because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right."

Last edited by Fear Itself; 01-31-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Quote:
State Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, has filed House Bill 7, calling it the "Right to Travel Act."

In his bill, Franklin states, "Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people, because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right."
At least that would settle the perennial debate about whether illegals should be denied drivers' licenses . . .
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

In case any of you were worried.

FAA will not pursue legal action against Inhofe
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

I don't think I've seen this here yet.

So, does anyone remember the Missouri referendum to install regulation of dog breeders to prevent cruelty and abuse of the animals? There are at least four bills in the Missouri House at the moment that would either repeal that referendum or exempt pretty much everyone who would be affected by it.

Republicans: They Really DO Want To Kick Puppies!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM
BANNED

Gov. Christie of NJ is planning to dump millions of dollars down the tube in Atlantic City. The place has always been a dump, even with all the tax revenue that has been raised.

After Christie refused to pay for a tunnel between NJ and NYC, it seems he must have cronies in AC who curried his favor during his campaign.

I guess it's payback time. I live in the southern part of NJ, so it's to my benefit to spend money in AC, but with all the cuts to towns, schools, etc., he shouldn't be bankrolling AC either, truly.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, Missouri legislatures are more in favor of referendums in theory than in fact. They are also hamstringing a 2008 law requiring renewable energy.

Joe
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
So, does anyone remember the Missouri referendum to install regulation of dog breeders to prevent cruelty and abuse of the animals? There are at least four bills in the Missouri House at the moment that would either repeal that referendum or exempt pretty much everyone who would be affected by it.

You should get some sort of award for that line.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
You should get some sort of award for that line.
Can't claim credit...it's a not-very-paraphrased paraphrase from Dennis G.'s diary on this over at Balloon Juice.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
nm

Last edited by Chefguy; 02-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Bleargh...this is almost worthy of its own Pit thread: more O'Keefe-style "sting" videos, this time targeting Planned Parenthood. Yes, more (likely highly) edited video utilizing a "pimp and prostitute" ploy. I guess copycatting that is better than innovating, say, a sex boat ploy. Will it ever get old?

That first link is a FoxNews story; I didn't post the mostly sad, mostly dismissive salon.com mention I came across a couple days earlier because I wasn't sure the story'd get any legs. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess...
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Stimulus View Post
Bleargh...this is almost worthy of its own Pit thread: more O'Keefe-style "sting" videos, this time targeting Planned Parenthood. Yes, more (likely highly) edited video utilizing a "pimp and prostitute" ploy. I guess copycatting that is better than innovating, say, a sex boat ploy. Will it ever get old?
e I wasn't sure the story'd get any legs. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess...
Quote:
"The recent release of an undercover video exposing duplicity and potential criminality by an employee of Planned Parenthood is an outrage," Pence said. "The time to deny any and all funding to Planned Parenthood is now."
So one employee clearly and knowingly acting against the rules of their own organisation is justification for defunding the whole national organisation? By that criteria we ought to abolish Congress.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
So one employee clearly and knowingly acting against the rules of their own organisation is justification for defunding the whole national organisation? By that criteria we ought to abolish Congress.
But not just any organization. Liberal organizations that, you know, provide services that Americans actually need versus stuff like this:
Quote:
"The military paid a total of $285 billion to more than 100 contractors between 2007 and '09, even though those same companies were defrauding taxpayers in the same period, according to a new Defense Department report. What's perhaps most shocking is that billions of dollars went to contractors who had been either suspended or debarred for misusing taxpayer funds."
Cite.

Where's the appropriate outrage?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Props to Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) for bucking the party line to agree that DoD waste is an issue, though.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Stimulus View Post

That first link is a FoxNews story; I didn't post the mostly sad, mostly dismissive salon.com mention I came across a couple days earlier because I wasn't sure the story'd get any legs. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess...
Along the lines of wishful thinking, I have a dream that one of these organizations will call the police and hold these guys until they can be investigated on charges of child prostitution. That would hopefully stop them from shopping around until they find someone who will give them the footage they want.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Arizona, yet again: state legislators want to be able to override federal laws. Never mind SCotUS, buncha punters that they are.

Stupid? Yes. Unlikely to pass? Oh, hell yes. But it should be noted that Russel Pearce, one of the bill's sponsors, is the AZ Senate President.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
And that appears to be one of this fuckhead's better ideas - not good, just better than this piece of steaming shit.

GA State Rep:There's no such thing as a rape victim
This is the proposed bill (PDF). Franklin wants to change the language in various laws so the victims of rape, stalking and domestic violence are called 'accusers' instead. Apparently you cannot be a victim of these crimes unless someone is actually convicted of perpetrating it.

It appears that victims of robbery, fraud and other crimes are still victims, not mere 'accusers'.

If any change should be made to that code, it should be to drop the requirement for a land-line telephone for stalking victims to receive notifications. This is the 21st century - many people no longer have such, or is their last line of communication.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM

New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion

Quote:
The controversy over "forcible rape" may be over, but now there's a new Republican-sponsored abortion bill in the House that pro-choice folks say may be worse: this time around, the new language would allow hospitals to let a pregnant woman die rather than perform the abortion that would save her life.
I was going to make a comment about how Republicans ran on a campaign of jobs. Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs, it's the economy stupid. And here there are, day after day, putting up legislation that really has nothing to do with jobs or the economy and why the fuck aren't they more focused on things the vast majority of Americans actually care about in their day to day lives?

But I realized that was short sighted - since legislators can perfectly well debate dozens of pieces of legislation and any one doesn't indicate what they're working on for the other 11. Besides, it was unfairly painting a whole group with an awfully large brush.

So instead I'll ask this: what the fuck is wrong with Republicans where they hate women so much they want them to die horrible painful deaths so they can laugh at the whore women who done brought herself low by gettin herself put in a sinful way? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
So instead I'll ask this: what the fuck is wrong with Republicans where they hate women so much they want them to die horrible painful deaths so they can laugh at the whore women who done brought herself low by gettin herself put in a sinful way? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them?
They wouldn't be where they are if they weren't enabled by ignorant, bigoted voters. We have met the misogynists, and they are us.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Now, now, now... some of them have advanced to the point of using tools to get the job done.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I was going to make a comment about how Republicans ran on a campaign of jobs. Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs, it's the economy stupid. And here there are, day after day, putting up legislation that really has nothing to do with jobs or the economy and why the fuck aren't they more focused on things the vast majority of Americans actually care about in their day to day lives?
Well, if we consider what Republicans have done to the budget when they've been in power, ignoring it to focus on social issues is the most fiscally responsible they've been in decades.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion

But I realized that was short sighted - since legislators can perfectly well debate dozens of pieces of legislation and any one doesn't indicate what they're working on for the other 11. Besides, it was unfairly painting a whole group with an awfully large brush.

I bet not a one of 'em has a clue what an ectopic pregnancy is.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Ectoplasm? But ghosts are already dead!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Ectoplasm? But ghosts are already dead!
Just like a liberal, looking for any excuse to abort little Casper!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM

This isn't necessarily a stupid Republican idea, but I can't think of any better place to let the masses know:

Fear not, if a pressing problem needs to be addressed anytime in the near future, dedicated public servant Bristol Palin will step up to the plate.

Palin/Palin 2012.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Just like a liberal, looking for any excuse to abort little Casper!
Those aren't ghosts, just an optical illusion created by the double exposure of sonograms.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
...Fear not, if a pressing problem needs to be addressed anytime in the near future, dedicated public servant Bristol Palin will step up to the plate...
I'm reassured that we live in a perfect world.
Quote:
If I saw something that needed to be changed, then I would step up to the plate and do something about it," the former dancing with the Stars contestant said.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Palin/Palin 2012.
So THAT'S why Bristol moved to Arizona! To get around the "POTUS and VPOTUS can't live in the same state" rule!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM

It's too bad that she's not staying in Wasilla. A mayoral race between Levi and Bristol would be the election of the century.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
...she "probably" will run for office some day if a pressing problem needs to be addressed.
For instance, the pressing problem of not enough people paying attention to her clown act of a family.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Or the problem that, should her mom get elected, all public assistance to unwed mothers will be eliminated.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
For instance, the pressing problem of not enough people paying attention to her clown act of a family.
Seriously. What is with them? There's something very off about that entire clan.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
It's too bad that she's not staying in Wasilla. A mayoral race between Levi and Bristol would be the election of the century.
I caught Levi on Bill Maher's show a little while back and he startled me by not sounding like a total doofus. Maybe not the guy to run a whole town but at least he sounded like he'd given serious thought to the issues and unlike his ex-almost-MIL he could answer questions without tripping and falling into his own anus.

On the downside he laughs like a braying donkey. Too long in the same room as that and I'd be forced to stab him.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, but is he still cute?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Its hard to sustain cute if you've recently been stabbed.