Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I'm thinking the folks agitating for Civil War 2.0 would be surprised at how it would turn out in practice.
Seriously. Movies about noble home-grown guerrilla forces rising up against tyranny are undoubtedly exciting, but they're not practical as guides on how to deal with Trump.

The chest-thumping just isn't particularly helpful: Trump, idiot though he is, has nukes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Brings to my mind the early French Revolutionary trope (well, throughout the feudal period really, but it was more dramatic then) that no matter how bad things got or how harsh the repression was ; for many people it was not, it was never the absolute King's actual fault. ...
But again, that had been true throughout the Middle Ages, and not just in France - when peasants revolted it wasn't hoping for social change or even to kill their oppressors. It was always a matter of "being heard by the King/Emperor", who would sort the bad things out and the only reason he hadn't must perforce be that he didn't know about it, since he's a Good King, QED.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.
Yes, and in addition, many in the population have what used to be called 'the authoritarian personality'--an orientation toward hierarchy, and a desire to be taken care of by the Great Father. They want to submit. They need to believe that the Great Father is all-caring, all-wise, and all-powerful.

It must be one of the most confounding cosmic jokes of all time that these people are now engaged in trying to shoehorn Donald Trump into the role of Great Father.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 07-18-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And it's particularly infuriating in that the underlying point that routine deficit financing is ultimately bad for the country is actually a legitimate point, unlike all the other crap the GOP has been pushing.

The one actually good thing they claimed to be concerned about was nothing but a smokescreen.
So, when does it become a problem? Depending on how you count things, we last had a surplus back in 1969 (my understanding is that the Clinton surpluses were to some extent accounting tricks (maybe not clearly accounting for the SS budget - not a CPA)).
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

New Hampshire Lawmaker: 'Owning Slaves Doesn't Make You Racist'

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-h...b020cd9940db3b
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM

It's not racist if you own white slaves.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
So, when does it become a problem? Depending on how you count things, we last had a surplus back in 1969 (my understanding is that the Clinton surpluses were to some extent accounting tricks (maybe not clearly accounting for the SS budget - not a CPA)).
Generally, if the deficit is declining (or even just growing slower than before) that is a good thing. Also, the deficit should be considered as a percentage of the economy (the GNP), not as a raw number. So if the deficit is growing at 2%, but the GNP is growing at 6%, that's a good trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
It's not racist if you own white slaves.
For most of history, slavery was race neutral -- anybody of any race could be a slave. Yhe connection to race was a peculiarity of the slave trade to the Americas.

- Egyptian slaves were mostly other Egyptians, sometimes Jews & other Middle easterners.
- Greek & Roman slaves could be any race. Some Romans flaunted their highly-educated, professorial class Greek slaves.
- Medieval serfs were effectively slaves to the landowners, who were neighbors & even relatives.
- Slaves in India were just fellow Indians of a lower caste.

Current slavery is even more race-neutral. Mostly just poor people from the same area.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I think that if Trump has taught us anything, it's that "old fashioned" Reagan conservatism: small government, low taxes, local control... really has no appeal for the American people any more. You can't win on it, the leader of the Republican party doesn't give a shit about Reagan conservatism, 60-odd million people didn't vote for Reagan's stated view of America in 2016, and it's sure as shit obvious the GOP isn't going to run on being the party of "small government and lower taxes" in 2020.

So, yeah, Reagan-era conservatism is spent as a political force which can move elections. Sure, there's millions of them out there who pine for the good ol' days of... 2005? 1991? 1984?... but they're not the ones driving the cart, and they never will as long as they allow Trump and his inevitable successors continue to take control of their party.
Great Og, I feel so betrayed. Same goes for Repub attitudes toward Russia. They were the ones carrying the torches and warning us against the evils of communism, Russian spying, and their buildup of nuclear weapons. Now they're completely OK with Russians and their troll farms, energy lobby payoffs, and well, everything they were accused of doing during the Cold War.

The Reagan-era conservatives chose to retire rather than oppose Trump. McCain was the last holdout. Not even Trump's childish and disrespectful insults towards this great American hero made a dent in his voter base. Good thing the diabetes keeps me from drinking myself into an early grave.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Great Og, I feel so betrayed. Same goes for Repub attitudes toward Russia. They were the ones carrying the torches and warning us against the evils of communism, Russian spying, and their buildup of nuclear weapons. Now they're completely OK with Russians and their troll farms, energy lobby payoffs, and well, everything they were accused of doing during the Cold War...
That's my mom. Rabid anti-rooskies when younger. Now in her 90s and watching FoxSnooze, no worries about the Russians.

Quote:
Good thing the diabetes keeps me from drinking myself into an early grave.
Don't let your disabilities keep you from chasing your dream!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 PM

The Illinois Republican County Chairman’s Association Facebook page posted a picture of "the squad" with the caption “The Jihad Squad.” Even their President thought it was offensive, and it was taken down.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/illino...st-squad-post?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 PM

The article does not explicitly say the fired officers are Republicans, but what are the chances the guys who suggested shooting AOC because of a fictional quote she never said are Democrats?
Quote:
The officer, Charlie Rispoli, a 14-year veteran of the Gretna, Louisiana, police force, called Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve," referring to her past job as a bartender, according to a screenshot posted by nola.com. According to the New Orleans-based news outlet, his comment was a reaction to a fake quote attributed to the congresswoman claiming that "we pay soldiers too much."
Hey Rispoli, ever heard of fact check? Rhymes with redneck if that helps. If you read something inflammatory about a public figure, maybe you should take at least 15 seconds to verify if it is true before you suggest assassinating them. I mean, you had Facebook on, your computer was right there, up and running. I know a lot of people don't like AOC, but maybe she isn't the icon of all your propaganda-fueled fears in real life. Did you ever consider that?

Well it doesn't matter now. You, Mr. Tough Guy Kopper Rispoli, just suggested assassinating a Representative because... she's extra mouthy? That's pretty much it, right? This extra mouthy Millennial from New York got elected to Congress and has taken precious few breaks spouting off ever since, and you think a bullet might put a stop to that, because that's how Big Bad Louisiana Koppers serve and protect the 1st Amendment freedom of speech in 2019 America. By. killing. innocent. women.

Why don't you figure out how to refute her 'objectionable' speech instead of contemplating murder? You're going to have a lot of time for that now that you just got shitcanned for suggesting assassinating an innocent, successful young woman from outside your jurisdiction. Better get your facts and reasons real, real straight though, because as the shitcanned Mr. Tough Guy Kopper Rispoli, you are probably not going to float your case on reputation and authority alone.

THAT, my friends, is a stupid Republican idea.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 PM

FACT CHECK???

These are the chucklefucks who spend all day watching media that is over 60% lies and believe every word as if God himself spoke them.

Who or where are they going to fact check it against? Other right wing media repeating the same lies and misinformation? The networks they call Fake News?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 PM

I know a guy who's so hooked that if he tells you he heard something on Fox News and you ask him if he fact checked it, he'll show you the Fox News website which says the same thing, thereby "proving it."

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-22-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:26 PM

Very practical question. Hm, is there a way to enter a phrase into the interwebs and have it cross-referenced against a person's documented, actual statements? Not, "Some guy on the internet made up some stuff", but their verifiable quotes?

That's kind of reverse-engineering it though. If I saw that something that enflamed me to the point of murder, I might want to verify that there were some kind of cite for it somewhere. The kids like videos these days, lots of people say so.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:31 PM

I went to Berean Baptist Church as a kid. I have tried, several times, to complete failure, to encourage right wingers to be like the Bereans, who were praised in the bible for not simply believing what they were taught, but going home to read their scriptures to see if it was true. Using that as an example/model to fact check to see if what they were being told by their chosen media was actually true.

To a one, they simply blasted me for not believing them and told me that I didn't have to read their FB post/talk to them/ATTACK THEM if I didn't agree with what they claimed.

So pardon me if I don't bother attempting to convince Conservatives to do this anymore.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think that if Trump has taught us anything, it's that "old fashioned" Reagan conservatism: small government, low taxes, local control... really has no appeal for the American people any more. You can't win on it, the leader of the Republican party doesn't give a shit about Reagan conservatism, 60-odd million people didn't vote for Reagan's stated view of America in 2016, and it's sure as shit obvious the GOP isn't going to run on being the party of "small government and lower taxes" in 2020.

So, yeah, Reagan-era conservatism is spent as a political force which can move elections. Sure, there's millions of them out there who pine for the good ol' days of... 2005? 1991? 1984?... but they're not the ones driving the cart, and they never will as long as they allow Trump and his inevitable successors continue to take control of their party.
To my point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...f64_story.html

"The White House and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) reached a tentative two-year budget deal Monday that would raise spending limits by $320billion and suspend the federal debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election.

The agreement, which still must be passed by Congress, probably would prevent a debt-ceiling crisis later this year but also would continue Washington’s borrowing binge for at least two years."
Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
To my point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...f64_story.html

"The White House and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) reached a tentative two-year budget deal Monday that would raise spending limits by $320billion and suspend the federal debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election.

The agreement, which still must be passed by Congress, probably would prevent a debt-ceiling crisis later this year but also would continue Washington’s borrowing binge for at least two years."
I wonder if Rand Paul will vote against it.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I wonder if Rand Paul will vote against it.
Only if there are enough Democrats voting for it that its passage is assured without his vote.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I went to Berean Baptist Church as a kid. I have tried, several times, to complete failure, to encourage right wingers to be like the Bereans, who were praised in the bible for not simply believing what they were taught, but going home to read their scriptures to see if it was true. Using that as an example/model to fact check to see if what they were being told by their chosen media was actually true.

To a one, they simply blasted me for not believing them and told me that I didn't have to read their FB post/talk to them/ATTACK THEM if I didn't agree with what they claimed.

So pardon me if I don't bother attempting to convince Conservatives to do this anymore.

Please DO continue to encourage Conservatives to do it. Reactionaries, yeah you might as well save your breath.

Ummm, do you actually KNOW any Conservatives?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Yeah, I struggle to view them as reachable at all. I have certainly been attacked by them- including physically assaulted by them. Evangelicals are way different than Bereans I guess.

Problem is, the Forces of Stupid threaten us in many ways. Climate change is the big one. Murderous white nationalism could cause a lot of trouble, too. And all the other problems caused by oropaganda-induced hysteria.

I bounce back and forth between writing them off and feeling like we need to keep reminding them of reality.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Sith Mod

[Moderating]
I deleted a post from Snowboarder Bo that was intended to be a new thread, and moved one reply to that post to that new thread.
[/Moderating]
Old 07-23-2019, 05:16 PM

Thanks, Miller!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 PM

During the Mueller hearing, Devin Nunes just said that the only collusion with Russia came from Democrats.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Please DO continue to encourage Conservatives to do it. Reactionaries, yeah you might as well save your breath.

Ummm, do you actually KNOW any Conservatives?
Yes. I've lost a couple of friends, broken contact with the wife of a former foster brother over this crap, but yes, I still have Conservative friends. They're the ones who have (upon much reminding) figured out that their politics and mine are quite different and no longer spout racist bullshit in my presence.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Uhhh, sorry if I was unclear, but when I asked if you know any Conservatives, I meant that Reactionaries don't count as Conservatives. Especially the radical ones.

I mean, come ON. "Radical Conservative" is just as much meaningless gibberish as "Extreme Centrist."
Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM

He wants to know if you know any true conservatives.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
Is that like a True Scotsman?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 PM

adaher posted something today.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Is that a (Stupid Republican) Idea or a Stupid Idea had by a Republican?

Okay, both.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Should I have read that in Eddie Vedder's voice? Because that's what I did.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post

Okay, both.
He's posting in the Omar pit thread, so, yes: Both.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Should I have read that in Eddie Vedder's voice? Because that's what I did.
I didn't. Then I read your post. Then I did. Nice job.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Old 07-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post

Okay, both.
Quote:
He's posting in the Omar pit thread, so, yes: Both.
Sorry; I should have clarified: adaher posted something today and he's convinced he's right about it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-24-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:43 PM

120 retired coal miners took a bus from Kentucky to meet with Mitch McConnell about refunding the black lung disease fund, and left disgruntled, claiming he came, made a speech, and left after two minutes.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-brushing-them
Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
120 retired coal miners took a bus from Kentucky to meet with Mitch McConnell about refunding the black lung disease fund, and left disgruntled, claiming he came, made a speech, and left after two minutes.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-brushing-them
The headline: "He Might've Stayed a Minute": Coal Miners With Black Lung Slam McConnell for Brushing Them Off in Healthcare Meeting.

He was trying to remove the coal dust.

ETA To the coal miners: You voted for McConnell, You voted for Trump. How does it feel when your face gets eaten?

Last edited by running coach; 07-24-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
The headline: "He Might've Stayed a Minute": Coal Miners With Black Lung Slam McConnell for Brushing Them Off in Healthcare Meeting.

ETA To the coal miners: You voted for McConnell, You voted for Trump. How does it feel when your face gets eaten?
Why don't reporters ask the people they are writing about who they voted for?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Sorry; I should have clarified: adaher posted something today and he's convinced he's right about it.
And this is a change from what now?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Uhhh, sorry if I was unclear, but when I asked if you know any Conservatives, I meant that Reactionaries don't count as Conservatives. Especially the radical ones.

I mean, come ON. "Radical Conservative" is just as much meaningless gibberish as "Extreme Centrist."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is that like a True Scotsman?
I honestly can't tell anymore. I don't think there are any actual conservatives who aren't radicals or extremists these days.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Have you seen the quote from RBG about the Senator who expressed happiness at her cancer diagnosis?

Well, here is Vincent D'Onofrio reading the quote using the voice of Dare Devil.

https://twitter.com/hellresidentNY/s...10574491934720

Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Have you seen the quote from RBG about the Senator who expressed happiness at her cancer diagnosis?

Well, here is Vincent D'Onofrio reading the quote using the voice of Dare Devil.

https://twitter.com/hellresidentNY/s...10574491934720

Kingpin, not Daredevil, right?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Oh yes, from Dare Devil.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:

After long hiatus, GOP rediscovers the principle of personal responsibility, applies it to sick people in need.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

A damn stupid thing for a Kentucky pol to do, especially in a campaign year.

Was he just too busy keeping things from happening?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Ilhan Omar's Republican opponent is a QAnon crazy. Or else she's pretending to be one for votes. Depends on whom you talk to.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rep-il...racy-theorist?
Old 07-25-2019, 02:56 PM

07/25/2019
Family values Republican Tennessee state legislator found on gay dating app Grindr, resigns.
https://thegailygrind.com/2019/07/25...ookup-scandal/
Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Following the Epstein suicide attempt (or whatever it was), ClintonBodyCount is trending on Twitter.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
So let me see if I understand this correctly.
  1. You (the coal miners) lobby the government to deregulate an industry you know is bad for you
  2. You expect the government to solve your problems caused by this dangerous industry you previously lobbied the government to deregulate?
Do I have it right?

Last edited by Running with Scissors; 07-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 PM

Yup, it's Mitch McConnell again:

McConnell blocks two election security bills

Apparently foreign interference is just A-OK if your party benefits.

And if you weren't sure it was necessary:

Russia Targeted Elections Systems in All 50 States, Report Finds

Last edited by Running with Scissors; 07-25-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
07/25/2019
Family values Republican Tennessee state legislator found on gay dating app Grindr, resigns.
https://thegailygrind.com/2019/07/25...ookup-scandal/

Whaddaya mean, "found" ? Isn't the whole point of Grindr to be "found" ?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Ilhan Omar's Republican opponent is a QAnon crazy. Or else she's pretending to be one for votes. Depends on whom you talk to.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rep-il...racy-theorist?
And in addition, was arrested twice last year for alleged shoplifting:

Quote:
Danielle Stella, the apparent QAnon conspiracy theorist and Republican candidate challenging Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), was arrested twice in the last year over alleged shoplifting, and pleaded guilty in 2009 to driving under the influence, according to The Guardian.

Stella was accused of stealing 279 items from Target totaling over $2,000 on Jan. 8 this year; six months later, the 31-year-old special education teacher launched her campaign to unseat Rep. Omar. According to the January police complaint cited in the report, Stella told officers that she “remembers arriving at Target to purchase items but nothing else” due to post-traumatic stress disorder ...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rep-il...f-felony-theft
Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 PM

PTSD. Sounds good. Congress is desperately deficient in unstable people.