Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 PM
SeaDragonTattoo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,813

How you present yourself is important


A couple coworkers are meeting new management and wondering why they're not being taken seriously. It might have to do with looking like hobos. Yes, we have jobs where we work with animals and it can get messy. But unstained and untorn clothing can be had from a shop right down the street for a couple bucks.

It's hard to look a someone wearing clothed 2 sizes too big with torn shoulders and stains all down the front, like they know what they're talking about. They look like they slept in a gutter.

No one's looking for fashion mavens, here. Just, you know, presentable.
  #602  
Old 06-09-2016, 12:34 PM
TheFaerie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Just on the Other Side
Posts: 1,044
Dear high-strung coworker,
Yes, I understand that learning new software is frustrating and finding out you did it wrong is depressing... but! If you READ THE BASICS MANUAL I WROTE, it will be much, much easier.

If you slow down, pay attention to what you are doing and shut up while I explain it, it will be much, much easier.

If you document your issues instead of screaming (via email) "IT'S BROKEN FIX IT NOW!" you will get a more favorable response from us and it will be much, much easier.

If your drawing is so screwed up that my number 1 suggestion is to delete it and start all over again, do not whine how it will take TWO DAYS! to redo it when I know for a fact that if it takes longer than 3 hours you probably need more training. (And 3 hours is generous.)

Also, do not imply that I have no direct experience with this software when I worked on production drawings for a year and a half and helped implement some of the changes that have actually improved the product from where it was 2 years ago. As well as having just this past month rewritten the handbook and posted it to the company-wide network for reference.

Otherwise I am going to continue to consider you a douchbag and impossible to work with and continue to cc my boss, your boss and our chief engineer whenever you have an issue.

The software is not perfect, we know that. The software works differently than the in-house proprietary software you are used to, we know that. Just remember that you weren't born knowing the old software and you will go through the same growing pains with the new.

JUST FUCKIN' LET ME HELP YOU SUCCEED YOU JACKASS!

I feel better now.

And speaking of fashion SDT, the company just implemented a jeans all the time policy. There are some happy engineers up in this joint.
  #603  
Old 06-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
I get really tired of people whining that "There's no manual on how to do this!" when they're on OUR web page, which has incredibly in-depth how-to manuals to processes linked on the same fucking page.

The one earlier today, she needed help walking through an access process that we don't control or support. However, one of my co-workers wrote an excellent step-by-step manual about this process complete with screen shots of everything and notes on what needs to be filled out, where. Why? Because people are still going to call us about it even when it isn't our stuff.

The link to that is right in front of her eyes, but "WAAAA!!! YOU NO MANUAL!!!"

Me: "The manual is right there. Please give it a try. Have a great day!" <click>
  #604  
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM
TheFaerie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Just on the Other Side
Posts: 1,044
I really need to keep a Word doc open on my desktop so I can just copy/paste standard responses and links to the online training.
"Hi! Please read the XXXX Basics document and then get back to me if you still continue to have problems."
"I'm sorry this is so frustrating for you. Please read the How To XXXXX document."
But I'm pretty sure someone would notice that I wasn't personalizing my responses. :-)
I like helping people, but first they gotta help themselves by referring to the documentation.
  #605  
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,651
I'm starting to think my supervisor is either trying to force me to quit, or put me so far behind in my work that he could justify letting me go for performance reasons.

He hands off a lot of his work to subordinates. Nothing too unusual about this when you consider that we're short one engineer right now (and we also have one who still hasn't "learned the ropes" enough yet to help with the bigger items). Got one today that was an emergency -- customer had paid big bucks to have their items ship today. I had the test procedure completed this morning, and testing was kind enough to let me know the results by mid-afternoon so I could prepare the report and be ready to sign off the job package when it hit my desk this afternoon. Job package hits my desk at about 4:20 this afternoon, and -- there are two lot numbers listed. My report only covered one. Now this is a massive problem, because my company conducts very rigorous testing...i.e., at least one test per lot code. No one -- not testing, not the inspector who handed me the job package, and not my supervisor -- had bothered to inform me about the extra lot code.

My company actually has a procedure in place to deal with a situation like this in the event it's not possible to perform an extra test -- we can thoroughly research and document samples from each lot code to show their similarity (the best case for this is when you can prove the items from the two lots were made within days of each other -- there's little chance the manufacturer would have had time to implement a massive design change so quickly). I went to my manager's office to request a camera so I could begin this process; as I was explaining why I needed the camera, my supervisor wanders in with an absolute shit-eating grin on his face. "Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the extra lot code."

Yeah, kind of like he "forgot" to mention that the test results for another part he assigned to me last week were saved to some folder on the server, leaving me to think that I needed to wait until the job package showed up to review the final results and complete the report?
  #606  
Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaerie View Post
Dear high-strung coworker,
...
JUST FUCKIN' LET ME HELP YOU SUCCEED YOU JACKASS!
Spoken like a true mentor. For me, he starts on a different program Monday, so he's somebody else's problem. He, at first, was angry that I had suggested to his big sister that he, like me, would benefit from Ritalin, but he's coming around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaerie View Post
I really need to keep a Word doc open on my desktop so I can just copy/paste standard responses and links to the online training.
Notepad uses fewer resources. Neither is available to me, so I copy and paste from a draft email.
  #607  
Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,444
I have a colleague who, seemingly, writes and self-publishes a crappy book about once a week. He's a relentless self-promoter and the department is slathered with flyers promoting his work and "appearances." Of late he's been copying these flyers and putting them in our mailboxes with little reminders to come see him read his schlock-of-the-week at the City of Butt Fuck Egypt Library.

He's started tacking his crap on a bulletin board reserved for honoring student achievements, covering up or removing bona fide material to make space for his announcements. I'm hatching an evil plan . . .
  #608  
Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,381
Judy from the doctor's office calls into their patient's insurance company on a Friday afternoon to request prior authorization for inpatient surgery the patient is having Monday morning. Before I enter her request I tell her that it can take up to 14 days for this to request to be processed, but I can file this as an expedited request and that timeframe would be 72 hrs (also I'd be able transfer her to a clinical nurse-reviewer). She twice refuses, and insists she doesn't want this expedited because it's elective surgery. Fine, it's not really my problem. Unless I'm the one that get's the call from the hospital Monday morning because the patient's already there and they won't do the surgery without the authorization. I may just be a cog in the medical-insurance complex, but hey at least I tried.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #609  
Old 06-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Notepad uses fewer resources. Neither is available to me, so I copy and paste from a draft email.
Do you use Outlook? If so, Quick Parts are your friend.
  #610  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Dr. Girlfriend's Avatar
Dr. Girlfriend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: between chair & keyboard
Posts: 2,247
Hey co-workers? You all have phones on your desks, right? And the phones work, right? So why the holy hell am I usually the only one signed in to take phone calls? And no, signing in to the phones and then putting yourself on "unavailable" doesn't count.

I complain to my boss, and she sends around an email to the effect of "Let's everyone be sure to sign in, mmmkay?"

Everyone signs in for maybe a day or so and then it's back to just me again. Two days last week I was the only one taking phone calls. I ask the rest of the team to please sign in because there are calls holding. Nothing. One chick even tells me she's too busy to take outside calls. Internal people who are supposed to call me direct are pissed because I'm always tied up on outside calls. I sent boss-lady an email Friday saying "check the phone records". We'll see what happens.
  #611  
Old 06-13-2016, 04:13 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,194
I work for a multinational IT company which has pretty good policies in general. Stuff like "work from home", "what to do when you get a required meeting outside of normal work hours" (wfh and compensate within the same week), etc. are covered internationally and in ways that Make Sense (TM).

Our local HR Manager's views on what is and is not work and on worker-employer relations are stuck in the 19th century. He got angry when I decided to take advantage of the yearly checkup offered as part of our required medical coverage (missing two hours, you see - getting the same checkup through a personal doctor would have required me to miss a lot more work); he thinks that anybody who isn't typing isn't working, and that meetings held in the break room aren't meetings (several of our most effective team leads like to start strategic meetings with the sentence "let's go get coffee"). According to him and to "policies" which are actually not in writing anywhere and anyway would not be legal (no approval by the workers' reps, as we don't have workers' reps, which btw is illegal), we have to ask for individual and explicit permission any time we're expected to do any work outside of regular hours.

I'm channeling Miss Piggy, Tweety Bird and Nabiki Tendo like a mofo. HR Dude's email indicating I need my manager's permission to attend a mandatory meeting has been forwarded to said manager with my most innocent look. I'm so innocent I wouldn't be surprised if coworkers ask me to shut off the blinding halo.

Last edited by Nava; 06-13-2016 at 04:17 AM.
  #612  
Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 AM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 41,618
Last week, I told the boss I needed work. I get in 60-90 minutes before he does (his hours are pretty fluid, I like to stick to a schedule.) I've been here 2 hours now and I've had nothing to do. When he finally showed up 30 minutes ago, I reminded him I need work. I'm still waiting.

Thank goodness for internet access, or I'd have fallen asleep by now.

And before someone pipes in with "Show some initiative, find something to do" - I've been here less than 3 months and I'm not privy to the priorities or the projects in work. I'm given a task that may take a few hours or a few days, and when it's done, I ask for another. I am peon, here me whine... At least it pays well.
  #613  
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,651
Don't come to my desk at 9AM on a Monday and cop an attitude with me because I can't immediately explain notes written on a drawing by an engineer who doesn't work here anymore. Also, as I'm sitting here writing out an interpretation of this drawing for you, it occurs to me that "ability to read and understand engineering drawings" is part of your job description. >.<
  #614  
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM
MagicEyes is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A College Town
Posts: 1,679
My supervisor is really good at emailing me to ask me to do something, not telling me she wants it done right away, then freaking out when I don't make that my top priority. Maybe she thinks I sit around twiddling my thumbs, waiting to get an email from her so I can jump into action (in reality, I have too much to do, and I should have gotten a promotion and a raise a while ago, but that's not gonna happen).
  #615  
Old 06-13-2016, 10:40 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Do you use Outlook?
You kidding? It's homegrown, like all our shitty software. I've been around the block and recognize AS400, circa 1990, shit when I see it.
  #616  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 AM
kiz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,771
I'm tired of this generation gap in my department.

Yeah, OK, I get it, young'uns. I get that you "don't want to work that hard" and "you don't want to become like me or New Manager". That doesn't burn me as much as pissing off everybody by not doing your assigned work because "I don't want to work that hard".

I've been in this business 25+ years. I've seen this time and again, all ages across the board. However, in past years I've had managers who've known how to light fires under asses. Our current manager is stymied with that so you keep steamrolling right over her.

The last time we had a manager browbeat you into moving your ass you all went up to HR and complained about meanness and how scared you were that god forbid SOMEBODY YELLED AT ME.

Fuck you all. Go get another fucking job then. Oh, that's right...there are no other jobs in this area. Meanwhile I'm crippling myself cleaning up after you and I'm no longer afraid of audibly resenting it. And NOW, finally, I understand what makes a "departmental bitch", something which I never aspired to.

Last edited by kiz; 06-14-2016 at 05:58 AM.
  #617  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
Yeah, OK, I get it, young'uns. I get that you "don't want to work that hard"
Reminds me of a young woman I worked with 16 years ago. Didn't do a lot of work, regularly got yelled at by the manager for screwing off and standing around talking. Was mad she wasn't getting promoted. Boss told her in front of everyone (when she was standing around chatting) that she wasn't getting promoted unless she did the work. After he walked away, she angrily muttered about actually working if she was given more interesting work to do.

My response: "You're not getting promoted until you can prove that you can do this job. If you don't want to do it, I'll get you a box."
  #618  
Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 PM
kiz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Reminds me of a young woman I worked with 16 years ago. Didn't do a lot of work, regularly got yelled at by the manager for screwing off and standing around talking. Was mad she wasn't getting promoted. Boss told her in front of everyone (when she was standing around chatting) that she wasn't getting promoted unless she did the work. After he walked away, she angrily muttered about actually working if she was given more interesting work to do.

My response: "You're not getting promoted until you can prove that you can do this job. If you don't want to do it, I'll get you a box."
One of our young'uns was a supervisor for a now-closed chain franchise. I would've thought that she, out of all of them, would show some initiative and energy given her experience. Nope, quite the opposite. The minute our manager remarked that she showed promise in a particular area, the young'un decided to do a shitty job with it time and again. I had to do over everything. We trained her for something else, she did a great job, then decided to fuck up everything.

That's just one example. There's another one -- a shift leader -- who decided to rewrite the rules to her liking. She was caught by upper management who didn't bat an eye "because we need their help so we can't keep writing them up or they'll leave."

Which, therein, is the issue.

Meanwhile I just found out I need a knee replacement. People with replacements rarely return to my line of work. I shouldn't care but I do.
  #619  
Old 06-22-2016, 06:24 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,827
Dang it, supervisor, I TOLD you a week ago that, my presence on the Overtime Desired List notwithstanding, I am not able to give up either of my days off NEXT week. You assured me that my needs would be accommodated.

Then you flew off to Oklahoma for training, and handed off to a substitute supervisor, who, while competent and easy-going enough, does need to have information passed down.

Last night, I reported for a shift on what would have been a day off, and saw that next week's schedule has been posted. I was NOT happy to see myself slated to work a six-day week.

My fault, I suppose. From now on, I notify you in writing, and copy the chief steward. Man, the guy you replaced five months ago spoiled me.
  #620  
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,827
Missed the edit window: BTW, next Monday night, I AM picking my friend up at the airport; and next Tuesday I AM driving him to the jazz concert he's producing.
  #621  
Old 06-22-2016, 10:54 AM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
lady at my job crying at her desk because the money didn't come out the atm and the bank told her she has to wait seven days
  #622  
Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, that's a huge blow. She may not be eating for a couple of days, or miss bill payments.
  #623  
Old 06-22-2016, 11:40 AM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, that's a huge blow. She may not be eating for a couple of days, or miss bill payments.
well I;m sure she could have borrowed money from family or friends since she knew she was getting the money in 7 days. Was nothing to openly cry about making coworkers uncomfortable.
  #624  
Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
well I;m sure she could have borrowed money from family or friends since she knew she was getting the money in 7 days. Was nothing to openly cry about making coworkers uncomfortable.


Heaven for-fend that someone else's unhappiness should make you uncomfortable.
  #625  
Old 06-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 545
I ALREADY GOT THE EMAIL!
I already receive all the newsletters, updates, government announcements and random internet crap that is printed on my area of expertise. I do not need everyone to forward me the same crap. I ALREADY GOT IT!!!
  #626  
Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 PM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post


Heaven for-fend that someone else's unhappiness should make you uncomfortable.
Crying out loud like a child was a bit much for a grown woman.
  #627  
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I ALREADY GOT THE EMAIL!
I already receive all the newsletters, updates, government announcements and random internet crap that is printed on my area of expertise. I do not need everyone to forward me the same crap. I ALREADY GOT IT!!!
Are you sure? I just saw this article, it had a photo of a pig. Did you know about the pig? I'll send it just in case...
And I'm just going to "Reply All" about that, so everyone knows. And then they can include everyone in the organization on every little thought about it...

Seriously, dear Everyone I Work With:
The Prez's email went to hundreds of employees. It's not just that someone Replied All (Steve...) -- it's that anyone else who shares the most minor thought also Replies All.

Then comes the "Hey, whoever is Replying All (Steve), stop it!"

And a couple of nimrods Reply All with "Yeah, no one should be hitting 'Reply All'!"

Followed by way too many nimrod-wannabes chiming in with variations of "Why am I getting this complaint about Replying All? Please remove me from this email."

What I really want to do is reply to everyone with "Due to my Inbox filling up with unimportant crap, I will no longer be checking my email. Ever. If you need to get me some Actually Important Information, please tell me in person, or handwrite me a note. Thank you."
  #628  
Old 06-22-2016, 10:16 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
well I;m sure she could have borrowed money from family or friends since she knew she was getting the money in 7 days. Was nothing to openly cry about making coworkers uncomfortable.
Don't be so sure about that, unless of course you know every detail of her personal situation.
  #629  
Old 06-23-2016, 12:57 AM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
Crying out loud like a child was a bit much for a grown woman.
This could be a straw that broke the camel's back situation.


What you see as being just a minor inconvenience may, for her, be the latest in a long long string of misfortunes and the one that made her snap.
  #630  
Old 06-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Dunkelheit's Avatar
Dunkelheit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
well I;m sure she could have borrowed money from family or friends since she knew she was getting the money in 7 days. Was nothing to openly cry about making coworkers uncomfortable.
Glad I work with more considerate people. Heck, even the departed former manager, who was such an unstable arsehole he gave everyone in the office PTSD, had more compassion and understanding than that.
  #631  
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Lightray's Avatar
Lightray is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 6,034
Hey, you know when would be a great time to have an evacuation drill for the entire plant and have us all stand out in the sun for a half-hour? On a day like today, when it's supposed to be 100F. Certainly wouldn't want to wait until tomorrow, when it'll be 10 cooler.
  #632  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelheit View Post
Glad I work with more considerate people. Heck, even the departed former manager, who was such an unstable arsehole he gave everyone in the office PTSD, had more compassion and understanding than that.
I had compassion for her because the same thing happened to me years ago but I didn't expect a crying out loud
  #633  
Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Are you sure? I just saw this article, it had a photo of a pig. Did you know about the pig? I'll send it just in case...
And I'm just going to "Reply All" about that, so everyone knows. And then they can include everyone in the organization on every little thought about it...
Seriously. I work with a bunch of trolls. I'm afraid if I send out an email saying that I already get this information it will just encourage 10 more people to send me crap!

And we also get the email to all staff followed up by 1 person replying all to say "Thanks" (jerry). It's nothing more than a "look at me" email.
  #634  
Old 06-23-2016, 01:52 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
And we also get the email to all staff followed up by 1 person replying all to say "Thanks" (jerry). It's nothing more than a "look at me" email.
Ooh, I know Jerry! He'll also respond to the most innocuous email from days before, but cc his boss at 5:30 am (bonus points if he'd just pulled the same stunt at midnight).

I always picture Jerry's alarm going off, his hand flopping out from under the covers to hit SEND and him rolling over to go back to sleep til 7.
  #635  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Dunkelheit's Avatar
Dunkelheit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
I had compassion for her because the same thing happened to me years ago but I didn't expect a crying out loud
My point is that compassion would be directed at someone who was upset enough to be crying out loud, for whatever reason, because you never know exactly what all might be behind it and that's not the point anyway. The point is they're obviously seriously hurting, and the description of your reaction in your post did not seem to show compassion so much as irritation and discomfort. Even my asshole former boss would have had a kinder response than that.
  #636  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelheit View Post
My point is that compassion would be directed at someone who was upset enough to be crying out loud, for whatever reason, because you never know exactly what all might be behind it and that's not the point anyway. The point is they're obviously seriously hurting, and the description of your reaction in your post did not seem to show compassion so much as irritation and discomfort. Even my asshole former boss would have had a kinder response than that.
Well obviously I wasn't the only one who was uncomfortable because one of the other ladies quickly came over and asked her, "how much you need?"
  #637  
Old 06-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,285
Or it could be that woman was truly compassionate, unlike you, who didn't ask if she needed help.

For a short period forty years ago I was without any funds at all. I thought I was alone in a classroom and started crying. A classmate asked what was up and when I reluctantly told him he dug in his pocket to see what he had on him. I'll never forget that.

Larry, the Navy guy, if you are out there, and were in San Angelo, Texas, in 1975, everythings okay now. If I'd had kids I'd have named one for you.
  #638  
Old 06-24-2016, 08:49 PM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Or it could be that woman was truly compassionate, unlike you, who didn't ask if she needed help.

For a short period forty years ago I was without any funds at all. I thought I was alone in a classroom and started crying. A classmate asked what was up and when I reluctantly told him he dug in his pocket to see what he had on him. I'll never forget that.

Larry, the Navy guy, if you are out there, and were in San Angelo, Texas, in 1975, everythings okay now. If I'd had kids I'd have named one for you.
SHe asked her how much she needed with a annoyed look on her face.
  #639  
Old 06-25-2016, 05:04 AM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
SHe asked her how much she needed with a annoyed look on her face.
You are just bound and determined to make your discomfort the star of this show, aren't you?
  #640  
Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 AM
Dunkelheit's Avatar
Dunkelheit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
Well obviously I wasn't the only one who was uncomfortable because one of the other ladies quickly came over and asked her, "how much you need?"
Why would that be an indication of discomfort, as opposed to compassion? THAT is the normal response I would expect from someone who sees a colleague in distress. Not 'jeez, there's no reason to cry out loud, you're making me uncomfortable'.
  #641  
Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 AM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelheit View Post
Why would that be an indication of discomfort, as opposed to compassion? THAT is the normal response I would expect from someone who sees a colleague in distress. Not 'jeez, there's no reason to cry out loud, you're making me uncomfortable'.
Because people are not used to adults crying out loud at their desk. If you feel like you need to cry leave your desk and go into the bathroom. And her actions only resulted in one of the ladies laughing about it later in the day because it was odd behavior for someone over 40 years old.
  #642  
Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,170
In cg16's defense, crying can be used as a form of manipulation.
  #643  
Old 06-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
SHe asked her how much she needed with a annoyed look on her face.
If you say so.
  #644  
Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
In cg16's defense, crying can be used as a form of manipulation.
With evidence here that it can be very successful.
  #645  
Old 06-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,194
Dear Idiot Boss, aka the Bottleneck:

I realize it's probably not that common a name in India, but please don't tell people to "contact Eva".

There are only 18 Evas in the company.
  #646  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Dunkelheit's Avatar
Dunkelheit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
Because people are not used to adults crying out loud at their desk. If you feel like you need to cry leave your desk and go into the bathroom. And her actions only resulted in one of the ladies laughing about it later in the day because it was odd behavior for someone over 40 years old.
You're just reinforcing my original thought that I'm glad my workplace is not like yours.
  #647  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
My supervisor doesn't know anything and hates when you ask her a question
  #648  
Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,651
Went to my supervisor to let him know that I had replaced a certain document and left it out for his review...ended up getting stuck in his office for an hour or so while he mumbled and rambled about a replacement for some component that half the company (including me) has been involved with for several years.

I'm fully expecting him to ask me at some point tomorrow why I didn't get more work done today.
  #649  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM
aruvqan is online now
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
well I;m sure she could have borrowed money from family or friends since she knew she was getting the money in 7 days. Was nothing to openly cry about making coworkers uncomfortable.
Not everybody has friends or family they can tap for money ... there were many times when most people I knew were also living on tight budgets and not being able to get the $20 or $40 for the weeks food and gas money meant scrounging change from the sofa cushions, checking all the pockets in the closet and deciding what could be safely sold to make enough money to pay for the gas to get to and from work, and drinking lots of water to keep the hunger pangs tamped down [at the time I at least got one meal a day at work ...] probably one main reason I had gotten into the habit of trying to pick up at least one pantry item per weeks shopping to stockpile. [and yes, I can remember when all I had to eat one week was rice ... not the best nutritionally, but it was filling. When you are making minimum wage and living alone and your entire food budget tends to be $20 per week you don't get a lot of variety and buy off the crunch and dent shelves, and the bruised/old veggie/fruit bin.]
  #650  
Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 PM
cg16 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Not everybody has friends or family they can tap for money ... there were many times when most people I knew were also living on tight budgets and not being able to get the $20 or $40 for the weeks food and gas money meant scrounging change from the sofa cushions, checking all the pockets in the closet and deciding what could be safely sold to make enough money to pay for the gas to get to and from work, and drinking lots of water to keep the hunger pangs tamped down [at the time I at least got one meal a day at work ...] probably one main reason I had gotten into the habit of trying to pick up at least one pantry item per weeks shopping to stockpile. [and yes, I can remember when all I had to eat one week was rice ... not the best nutritionally, but it was filling. When you are making minimum wage and living alone and your entire food budget tends to be $20 per week you don't get a lot of variety and buy off the crunch and dent shelves, and the bruised/old veggie/fruit bin.]
My issue wasn't the crying it was not getting up and doing it in private.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017