Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
3) The ones that bring in tin foil covered plates of meals from home ( no doubt prepared by their long-suffering wives ) and microwave them uncovered: not a paper towel, or lid, and coat the inside of the microwave oven with nasty shit.
3b) Those who do microwave stuff covered but on High and for so long that it would have been enough to cook it. You're supposed to warm it up, not give it enough radiation to make the tupperware carcinogenic.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

If you know whose plates they are, can you put them (still dirty) on their desks? Or their chairs?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:58 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I was always fond of removing the "they're only soaking" folks' dishes from the sink, washing all the others, then putting the "only soaking dishes" back in to "only soak" more. But it's been 34 years since I've had to deal with such nonsense, so no idea what I'd do today.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM

About five years ago, we had a woman who would come in at 8am, just as everyone was trying to move through the break room and get their stuff in the fridge or have a bite to eat. She'd park her ass at the sink for 15-20 minutes washing and preparing the fruit and vegetables she'd brought in for the day. As she was a large woman and wasn't inclined to move for other people, that meant NO ONE could use the sink or the area surrounding it (which sometimes included her blocking the two microwaves) until she was done.

I always resented that and wished that SOMEONE in management would tell her to knock it the hell off. If I'd been her boss, I'd have done that as well as reminding her that the time she spent hanging out there did not count as part of her 8 hour day.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 PM

My store manager is required, per company policy, to work 50 hours per week. He's on the schedule as working 6am-4pm Monday thru Friday.

He arrives somewhere between 6:15 and 6:30am every day. He's long gone by the time I get there at 2pm about 90% of the time and I've never seen him there past 3:30pm. I estimate he's working 25-30 hours per week. This is PAYROLL FRAUD. Probably at a felony level by now.

Assuming he's working at all that week, since he's got years of accumulated vacation built up and is taking every other week off.

So this clown, working 25-30 hours every other week, has the nerve to tell me that he "doesn't have time" to do his job (direct quote: "I don't have time to do my own job") as part of excusing why our store has turned into a raging shit show of bad management and bad employees.

At this point I'm just going to find another job and quit in the same manner as everyone else who has quit this place in the last couple of months. By just not showing up anymore. Dumb as they are*, they'll probably keep me on the schedule for another month or two and keep trying to call me.

* Another employee was no-call, no-showing several times a week and they took no action against him. He skipped an entire week, then came in one day out of the blue, two hours late, so they kept putting him on the schedule. The other night he came in an hour late, did nothing for an hour, went outside to sleep in his car for two hours, then went home. Still no action taken against him and he's still on the schedule.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
At this point I'm just going to find another job and quit in the same manner as everyone else who has quit this place in the last couple of months. By just not showing up anymore. Dumb as they are*, they'll probably keep me on the schedule for another month or two and keep trying to call me.
Too bad you're not salaried - it sounds like they might pay you for a year or more whether you showed up or not.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My store manager is required, per company policy, to work 50 hours per week. He's on the schedule as working 6am-4pm Monday thru Friday.

He arrives somewhere between 6:15 and 6:30am every day. He's long gone by the time I get there at 2pm about 90% of the time and I've never seen him there past 3:30pm. I estimate he's working 25-30 hours per week. This is PAYROLL FRAUD. Probably at a felony level by now.
If they are scheduling him for more than 40 hours per week, but not paying overtime (probably by calling him a 'management' employee and paying a fixed salary) than that is WAGE THEFT by that company. So they probably aren't going to make a big fuss about his work hours.

Wage theft by employers seems to be a growing problem now -- so much so that our state Attorney General has set up a special task force to deal with it.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
If they are scheduling him for more than 40 hours per week, but not paying overtime (probably by calling him a 'management' employee and paying a fixed salary) than that is WAGE THEFT by that company. So they probably aren't going to make a big fuss about his work hours.

Wage theft by employers seems to be a growing problem now -- so much so that our state Attorney General has set up a special task force to deal with it.
He's a salaried manager.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 AM

The agent for which I work has discovered that I was having to report my hours twice (once to them, once to the client), with different approval manages in each system even. So they've decided to change the procedure (use only the client's system) and have asked for screenshots of the client's system.

Today is my second day of vacation.

It's like the reporting hours version of asking questions about Judaism 5 minutes after Friday's sundown
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Kid: I'm not coming in today because I don't want to work with Chimera.
Boss: Then I'll accept that as your resignation.
Kid: <RAGE!!>
Boss: I don't have time to deal with this. I'll accept your resignation. If you want to come in and talk about it some time, that'll be fine.

Kid shows up about a half-hour later, ends up talking to Boss's boss, who takes no shit (and likes me). Changes his tune. Was actually pleasant to deal with the rest of the night.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Boss: I don't have time to deal with this. I'll accept your resignation. If you want to come in and talk about it some time, that'll be fine.

Kid shows up about a half-hour later, ends up talking to Boss's boss, who takes no shit (and likes me). Changes his tune. Was actually pleasant to deal with the rest of the night.

Wow. Props to both of you for being able to work together after that.

What were his issues with you?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
What were his issues with you?
That I'm calling him out for screwing off.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:11 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Years ago, a friend of mine said something wonderful to me when I said, while we were stuck in San Angelo, Texas, "I want to go back to California". My friend's response to that was, "You what? You want? You are old enough for your wants to not hurt you".

The kid in your story needs someone to tell him the same thing.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 AM

1. Take a fall and hurt my back Monday night. Take Tuesday off work.
2. Go back to work Wednesday and Thursday.
3. Idiot co-worker keeps slamming his 325 pound frame into my back through sheer carelessness*, re-injures my back and I go home early last night.
4. Get an hour of sleep, literally crying at 5am because my spine hurts.
5. Call in today. Idiot who injured me answers the phone and tries to tell me I can't.

WATCH ME.

Since I didn't last night, next week I'll file an 'incident report' on the injury and ask the company to pay me for the time I couldn't work because I was injured by the sheer stupidity and carelessness of a man who kept walking into me and at one point, had me shoved against a counter for about 30 seconds while he did something I couldn't see, because he was directly behind me in my space.

*I'm working a cash register and this asshole keeps walking into my back or bumping into me from behind. Zero apologies, zero 'excuse me's, nada.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
a man who kept walking into me and at one point, had me shoved against a counter for about 30 seconds while he did something I couldn't see, because he was directly behind me in my space.
How does this happen more than once before you tell him "Get the hell away from me!"?
Old 07-27-2019, 11:27 AM

So I'm working part time, cleaning holiday rental houses, in a site of around 20 houses. We're generally set in pairs, sometimes trios when we're doing a lot. For the last two days, I've been paired up with the second most annoying person there, who I'm going to call P.

One of the minor perks of the job is taking home stuff people leave- not like accidentally forgotten stuff like phones, but food items. Most people leave nothing much, but sometimes we get unopened packs of things like fruit, beer, frozen food, multipacks of snacks, that sort of thing. For most people, it's a pleasant occasional thing, but for P, it's the reason she comes in to work. The first thing everyone else does when we go into a house that needs cleaning is go strip the beds and collect up all the dirty towels and things, the first thing P does is go through all the cupboards searching for goodies. That's part 1 of why she's so annoying, part 2 is that she just complains about everyone and everything all the damn time, and part 3 is that she's mindbogglingly patronising. She'll come upstairs after searching all the cupboards for 15 minutes, see you've been doing your job and exclaim 'Oh, aren't you a good girl! Well done!' like you're a kitten that remembered to use the litter box for the very first time.

Anyway. Yesterday, as often happens, we had a minor schedule switch around; one of the other teams got asked to do one of the houses we'd originally been asked to do, because we'd started cleaning a house, the guests from the second house on our list had already gone, and the other team hadn't got in anywhere because all the house on their list had guests still in (we start an hour before the deadline for the guests to leave, as many leave early). This house turned out to be just full of food. There was beer, there was coke, there were boxes of chocolates, there were snacks galore. P is also on a diet (one of those where she makes a salad for herself, brings it in, complains about it for twenty minutes while eating a few forkfuls, chucks the rest of it away, then watches you eat your lunch like a dog begging for scraps), and keeps saying she's not eating any junk food, none at all, it's really bad for you. Another thing about P, when she does find something, she never shares it round. So were they gonna share this huge haul of snacks with her? Were they hell, and understandably so.

P, a grandmother just short of retirement age, has been bitching about this, to me, for 2 days, almost non-stop. She's been watching the other staff out of the window- and telling me to do the same- to make sure they don't go into "our" houses, and "steal our goodies". She's not talking to anyone on the other team, and was accusing them of deliberately engineering the schedule change just so's they could get "her" stuff. It's so far over the top it's actually pretty hilarious, but... for god's sake woman, get over it.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:16 PM

Ah, but that's why I love this place.

This is a perfect case of "OMFG, she would drive me crazy if I didn't have an entire messageboard waiting to hear about the next thing she does!"

I would love to hear more of her Lazy-Yet-Entitled-Yet-Dieting-Yet-Gluttanous antics.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

This is a perfect case of "OMFG, she would drive me crazy if I didn't have an entire messageboard waiting to hear about the next thing she does!"

I would love to hear more of her Lazy-Yet-Entitled-Yet-Dieting-Yet-Gluttanous antics.
We need a greatest hits album of threads like this. P. moRON. Shredder Guy. I'm sure there have been many more, but these are the ones I remember right now.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
How does this happen more than once before you tell him "Get the hell away from me!"?
Or turn around with your fresh cup of hot coffee and 'accidentally' spill it down the front of his pants. Or even your cup of ice water? Either will make him remember to give you your space in the future.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Or turn around with your fresh cup of hot coffee and 'accidentally' spill it down the front of his pants. Or even your cup of ice water? Either will make him remember to give you your space in the future.
Then I'm the aggressor. I already had enough issues from 'touching' the guy whose hand I grabbed while pushing him the fuck off of me while I was sitting on the floor. Being told repeatedly by management that I'm not allowed to touch people.

And even this is pushing me into 'Gosh Chimera, you seem to have issues with everyone here' territory.

But I am going to push this issue, because I fucking got hurt. I made it quite clear to the store manager and the district manager that the next time (and every time) he walks into me, I'm leaving the area (meaning I will be refusing to work a cash register) until he's gone. Not just out of the area, but fucking gone from the store. Because I'm not going to wait until he's in another area, go back, and then have him return to the register area and do it again.

I have nothing personal against this person beyond this single issue.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:29 PM

Dude's making me think of those tourists toting large backpacks on the subway, who move like they don't realize that they've got a human-sized hunch sitting on their back. Except, at least the tourists' bulk is short-term! That guy ought'a have noticed by now exactly how much space he occupies, but nope, apparently he hasn't.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Dude's making me think of those tourists toting large backpacks on the subway, who move like they don't realize that they've got a human-sized hunch sitting on their back. Except, at least the tourists' bulk is short-term! That guy ought'a have noticed by now exactly how much space he occupies, but nope, apparently he hasn't.
You'd think he'd notice that he's pressing against someone and that there is continuous resistance too (when he's shoving me into the counter), but again, no recognition, no apologies, no "excuse me", no moving away from me. He just keeps doing it.

I still fucking hurt and I'm not looking forward to going to work tomorrow, even if he isn't there. I don't know what I'm going to do when I go in and see him there on Monday. If he bumps into me just once, I may just up and walk out, go see a doctor and then file for worker's comp.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
You'd think he'd notice that he's pressing against someone and that there is continuous resistance too (when he's shoving me into the counter), but again, no recognition, no apologies, no "excuse me", no moving away from me. He just keeps doing it.

I still fucking hurt and I'm not looking forward to going to work tomorrow, even if he isn't there. I don't know what I'm going to do when I go in and see him there on Monday. If he bumps into me just once, I may just up and walk out, go see a doctor and then file for worker's comp.
Can you ask him not to? Or did I miss that part? He may be so oblivious he has no idea (I know, hard to believe, but I've seen stuff like it).

Hmm, just looked back to see, read a bunch of your posts, and your workplace sounds horrible. Can you somehow parlay this into quitting or going on extended sick leave, and getting enough workers' comp that you can make it til you find another job?
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

She could be the next Shredder Guy!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You'd think he'd notice that he's pressing against someone
AFAICT, those people notice vaguely that they're pressing against someTHING but don't ever think it might be a someONE. I've seen or had backpackers push against someone, the someone simply rolled their eyes and offered continuous resistance (no push back, just keeping some breathing space) and the backpacker slammed back, then was surprised or even offended to get yelled at by both the person they'd slammed into and onlookers. Less aggressively, I've seen others who just keep pushing back, pushing back, pushing back until someone slaps the backpack, yells at them or pulls on their trousers (little kids who see their mom or grandma pushed back tend to have their priorities clear: protecting Mom is more important than not offending Large Unknown Guy). The main reason to avoid calling attention to "you're pushing that person!" is that when someone does, the backpacker will then turn around and slam into several other people.

Last edited by Nava; 07-28-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Sadly, I'm actually only gonna be there regularly for another few weeks, as I'm away for a bit, starting a new job in September, and then I'll only be coming back as a casual for some school breaks. I'm pretty sure that's why I'm being paired up with her every weekend lately, normally everyone gets a turn so no-one gets too much.

By the way, when I say she won't share stuff she find, that's not entirely true; she will occasionally hide random items in the bag in which I keep my lunch, wallet and phone, without telling me. Half a kitchen roll, a bruised pear and a single loose raw egg are all recent examples.

Last edited by Filbert; 07-28-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Can you ask him not to? Or did I miss that part? He may be so oblivious he has no idea (I know, hard to believe, but I've seen stuff like it).
I've made repeated comments - to irritated looks and being ignored - about how uncomfortable I am with people invading my personal space, bumping into me and repeatedly making contact with my back. I have an assistant manager who irritated the fuck out of me one day by repeatedly reaching over my shoulder or past my ribs and twice opening a drawer into my hip.

I just got excuses about how we're in a crowded space and I had to deal with it. (No, our "'crowded space" is about 10' by 8'.)

This led to the incident with the Kid where I was sitting on the floor feeding money into the safe when he came, leaned right over me, making contact with me and stuck his hand at the keypad on the safe. Oh, I know he meant it as a joke and my reaction was perhaps a bit strong, but I grabbed his hand, pushed him off of me and yelled "GET THE FUCK OFF OF ME!" Whereupon it was "reported" and I was told several times by different management people that we are "not allowed to touch other employees". Great, then stay the fuck off of me and stop touching me from behind to reach past me, open drawers or bump into me.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
AFAICT, those people notice vaguely that they're pressing against someTHING but don't ever think it might be a someONE. I've seen or had backpackers push against someone, the someone simply rolled their eyes and offered continuous resistance (no push back, just keeping some breathing space) and the backpacker slammed back, then was surprised or even offended to get yelled at by both the person they'd slammed into and onlookers. Less aggressively, I've seen others who just keep pushing back, pushing back, pushing back until someone slaps the backpack, yells at them or pulls on their trousers (little kids who see their mom or grandma pushed back tend to have their priorities clear: protecting Mom is more important than not offending Large Unknown Guy). The main reason to avoid calling attention to "you're pushing that person!" is that when someone does, the backpacker will then turn around and slam into several other people.
That's my take pretty much. I think it's mostly just a case of a big dumb galoot with little self-awareness bumping into him.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 PM

I came in to pissed off co-workers today because I "didn't call in" on Friday.

It seems the jackass who injured me, then answered my "I can't come in to work because I hurt too fucking much" call simply told people that I had called, asked who I worked with (a lie, I never asked that question) and said I'd be in (another lie). He didn't bother to tell anyone the rest of it.

So I filled out a corporate Incident Report on the injury and said I'd be going to Urgent Care tomorrow to get it documented.

And left a message for the store manager letting him know what I'd said when I called in on Friday.

If I had an extra dime in the bank, I'd just stop showing up.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
That's my take pretty much. I think it's mostly just a case of a big dumb galoot with little self-awareness bumping into him.
That's my take too, but at some point (well, like now that he's actually injured someone), management needs to say and do something about it.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Doctor seen, Worker's Comp claim filed (as the nurse said, "you don't have a choice"), given a return to work date of tomorrow (so I have today off).
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM

I'm contracted by an agency, which in this case is contracted by the end client. My notice period is 30 days.

I put in my notice period last week; at the time I didn't even have the new contract, but I was having a slew of interviews and the thought of getting back to an end client which simply doesn't have The Attitude* was… far from positive (I received and accepted an offer that same afternoon). My last few clients have been pretty horrid, but I've had both projects where most things and people were good and others where, while some person did provide rant material, the majority was good. I'd much rather spend my life with people who value my work than with those who see me and my coworkers as a bunch of busybodies or worse. At the time I gave my notice, I indicated that I was in town and could come in to work if the client so desired. The agent acknowledged receipt; we talked about the possibility of my replacement taking over my lease (it's month by month, and if it's convenient to them, hey, much easier than looking for something else).

The agency had not told the end client; I just had to do so during a meeting. The first reaction of the team lead was "I'm not going to pay you". I explained that if they're not paying me, I'm not working. She tried to tell me that the minimum notice period is 8 weeks; I said I'd fulfilled the period in my contract and was therefore in the clear legally speaking (we've had people leave with 4 weeks' notice and several with no notice, as she receives people with insults and people do tend to dislike that). She said she didn't care about legally, only contractually. I didn't bother explain that one.

I don't know how will this end, but if it was not going to end well now it looks like it's going to end worse.

* ERP is a type of company culture, not merely a type of software. ERP software is a collaboration and communication tool: in companies which have a collaborative attitude these programs can be absolutely great, in those where people hold onto any piece of data and any bit of power for dear life, they're horrible because they simply don't make any sense. This client is of the second kind.

Last edited by Nava; 08-12-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doctor seen, Worker's Comp claim filed (as the nurse said, "you don't have a choice"), given a return to work date of tomorrow (so I have today off).
No updates? Is everything okay?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 AM

My "main contact" is back at work today; she's one of the very few reasonable people in this project. I told her I'm leaving; her reaction was, more or less in order:

"Your decision or the miniboss's?"
"What is the plan for how to move forward?"
"Well, I'd told them that this could happen. If they've still managed to be surprised it's not your fault, my fault, or the fault of the coffee machine, it does have caffeine versions."

Juuuuust the same as the miniboss's, not.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Yes. I walked past your office.

No. This did not cause you to be unable to access SharePoint.

What can I do about it?

Advise you to call the help desk and create a ticket to talk to someone who can actually do something about SharePoint. I am not a SharePoint admin. I don't even have access to your SharePoint site myself.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Projammer; 08-20-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM

*sigh* 90 min conference call for 5 people to review how their area does a certain procedure. 1st guy talks 30 minutes. 2nd guy talks 30 minutes. 3rd guy talks 20 minutes.

Um. We're all middle-aged professionals. Certainly by now they should know enough to figure out bow much time they have to present and adjust their talk accordingly.

Fortunately, the last two of us were able to edit the information down to what was actually needed, and got through in 5 minutes each.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Really? What's that you say?? Stainless steel parts are way more expensive than parts made of other materials??? And when I confirm that yes, I know this, and that the only reason I specified stainless steel is that the customer demanded it, did you accept this information and go back to your desk to figure out how you're going to convince the customer to pay extra for us to build a fixture that you didn't anticipate at the beginning of the job?

No, you made a beeline to my supervisor's office to complain about my expensive material selection. And when I heard your bellowing and made a point of strolling in there to explain my material selection to my supervisor (since you had neglected to do this), you immediately began to lecture me on materials that are being purchased for use in the field versus materials that should be purchased for building up a test fixture.

Do I need to tell you what you can do with one of those $500-apiece stainless steel couplings, you mansplaining knob?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Don't forget to offer him the carborundum infused lubricant.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:46 PM

I'm a programmer at a huge company, and my boss has assured everyone that I'm going to accomplish the impossible. He's dead wrong, but I've had some notable successes, so no one questions him.

I've told a few people (including my boss) that he's dead wrong. But no one cares. It's like talking to a wall.

Thankfully, this company has an excellent transfer policy, but I won't be able to transfer until December. Just have to hold out...
Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Don't forget to offer him the carborundum infused lubricant.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

I have reached the end of my patience today. I’m so tired of having to email people twice before they’ll respond. I don’t have time for this nonsense. I’m tired and cranky, and I have other emails to write, and I’m not staying late on Friday because someone can’t send me an email. I’m not feeling a lot of love for my coworkers right now.